Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

Clearly Tree House just hates the French. Also I just quickly checked and the Awakening and Fates names are virtually unchanged between English and other European languages. Meaning France itself missed out on all those names actually appreciating their (much self lauded) culture because they translated the game from English instead of Japanese.

For the best, in some cases. I don't think I could have taken the christmas cavs Evening and Sort seriously. In fact, the french translation changes Cherche's name to Zelcher and Panne to Palne, precisely because "cherche" and "panne" are regular french words that don't work as names at all, and that would just sound weird.

3 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Vaike, Kjelle, Arete and Azura say hi. I thought Vaike was pronounced “VAI-kee” (rhyming with Nike) until he said his name in a battle quote. I’m still not sure how to properly pronounce Kjelle (I say it as it looks, “kuh-JELL.”) I think Arete is three syllables (ARR-ett-ay) and I’ve heard several different pronunciations of Azura depending on the voice actor (each Corrin VA pronounces her name differently. I say “uh-ZURR-uh.”)

I’m ambivalent about both sets of localization name changes. Some names are absolute improvements, like Sully (I like the name Soiree, but just doesn’t fit her character,) Xander, Laslow, Niles, Iago and the “Ll” bandits. Poor Jakob was called Joker in the Japanese version! No wonder he has a chip on his shoulder.

Kjelle is apparently pronounced Shelly, as a pun on her armor. Azura should be Ah-zu-rah or maybe Ah-zoo-rah (i'm not sure how to write that sound), probably with the accent on the zu.

Joker is a cool name in animeland, though (see Persona 5 or Black Butler, for example). I'm sure that was the intention with him, considering his design. The localisation is kind of a downgrade on that level.

Guys, please. The worst localization change in Fates is obviously Leon => Leo, made even stupider by the following game when they had to make the equally stupid localization change as a result: Leo => Leon.

Having to change Faye's name because of Effie's localized name was also lol.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Or Robin to Tobin, since they already used Robin for Reflet.

But yeah, the Leon/Leo thing was like... why even...

Shadows of Valentia had Kamui too, thought they kind of lucked out in that one by changing the other Kamui to Corn.

Oh man I love that illustration! So, I guess even the heroes get a vote! 😄 Or maybe this Kiran is deciding based on some of his heroes' choices! Hehe, Lissa just wants her bestie and family, and maybe Robin or Frederick as afterthoughts. XD I wonder if one of the covered thought bubbles includes Kellam...

Anyway, vote number 3 for Elena from me sent!

Edited by Mercakete

On 1/20/2022 at 5:12 AM, Yexin said:

voted for Rhea, but i'm lowkey hoping any random meme unit the fanbase comes up with, like idk abysskeeper, can get top 2
it's been 6 years since this CYL event thing's been happening, and i feel like i just don't care about who wins anymore

I’m voting for Laegjarn, but if Rhea has good odds for winning, I’m all out for her

On 1/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, Jotari said:

Honestly I can't see how quietly removing the Flame Emperor from the voting pool the year after Edelgard won as really being that spoilerish. If someone was so intensely into CYL that they would notice the absence of one character in the 800 or so size of the CYL roster, then they likely already know about Three Houses plot and Edelgard's role in it. The absence of a character is not something that people will notice.

It’s silly to get concerned about it, as the game it’s been out for a while now anyway. Not as bad as someone reprimanding me about Zelgius being The Black Knight. That game it’s been out for over a decade. Might as well get mad at me for saying Darth Vader is Luke’s father 😂

42 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I’m voting for Laegjarn, but if Rhea has good odds for winning, I’m all out for her

well i wouldn't expect her to have "good odds for winning", but i hope she can be at least in Top 20
tbh, i'm just voting her so that IntSys remembers not to leave her in Alt Hell with Dorothea, Deghinsea, Kurthnaga and too many others, i really want her OG version in the regular 5* pull

regardless, thank you for being available to give Rhea some votes

Edited by Yexin

Ophelia not being acknowledged by her own grandmother must be gut wrenching for her.

I'm glad that daily results aren't a thing because it could really just pigeonhole all votes to those top 8.

I'm sticking to Owain for all of my votes this year. I'm really desperate for an alt. Although seeing Soren as part of the top 8 almost made me want to jump ships. Maybe I'll throw some votes his way after seeing midterm results.

I feel like the real thing they should have done is increase the cutoffs for the earlier days. Like, after Day 1, post the top 20 for each division (without saying anything about the order). Then after Day 2, post the top 16 - probably out of that group, but narrowing the field a bit. Then do like top 12, 8, 6, and finally top 4 after Day 6.

Edited by Othin

My fourth vote for Elena this year has been cast (as expected.)

I wonder what the midterm results will look like this year.

Edited by Mercakete

3 hours ago, Othin said:

I feel like the real thing they should have done is increase the cutoffs for the earlier days. Like, after Day 1, post the top 20 for each division (without saying anything about the order). Then after Day 2, post the top 16 - probably out of that group, but narrowing the field a bit. Then do like top 12, 8, 6, and finally top 4 after Day 6.

I'd rather they not reveal anything at all for the entire voting period to cut down on tactical voting.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd rather they not reveal anything at all for the entire voting period to cut down on tactical voting.

I feel like that's what cost F!Byleth last year.  People got distracted by Gatekeeper (or focused on helping him) in the male division so Marianne could sneak her way into a winning spot in the female division.

4th vote for Chrom. 

He is losing support fast, it seems, but he still has a very narrow lead online. Doesn't mean that will be reflected in real votes so I am not going to jump ship. 

Anyway the worst pat about CYL being so early is that the wait until the Feb 1st FEH channel is going to feel like forever and be so stressful. 

20 minutes ago, Naoshi said:

when we getting mid terms ? The suspend not knowing how things are is killing me >_<

It should be tomorrow. They're doing it with 2 days left this time around for some reason. I guess there's less chances of upsets happening.

5 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

It should be tomorrow. They're doing it with 2 days left this time around for some reason. I guess there's less chances of upsets happening.

Hopefully you are right.

Vote 4 for Chrom! For the final three, if we don't get mid-term results, I'm thinking 1 Azura, 1 Hilda, 1 Maiko (or Tsubasa's sister). 

EDIT: If it looks like 1st is a lock with F!Byleth and Adult Tiki has a shot at winning, I may cast two of those votes her way. If it's still a close call for second, I'll spread out my votes. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

36 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Vote 4 for Chrom! For the final three, if we don't get mid-term results, I'm thinking 1 Azura, 1 Hilda, 1 Maiko (or Tsubasa's sister). 

EDIT: If it looks like 1st is a lock with F!Byleth and Adult Tiki has a shot at winning, I may cast two of those votes her way. If it's still a close call for second, I'll spread out my votes. 

In previous events, midterm results have only shown ranking order, not how close any of the characters are to each other.

Edited by Othin

I've been casting all of my ballots for Elincia because it's criminal that she still only has one alt (Ascendant!Elincia please...), but I totally get Lissa's conundrum on who to vote for. As for Chrom, I get the feeling that he's wondering if it would be too egotistical to vote for himself. He does have a decent chance of placing so it's not like the votes would be wasted, but the secret shame...