Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

49 minutes ago, Othin said:

Do we know if male Byleth will even stay on the poll?

And the other Tikis.

Pretty happy with these results. Very relieved to see FByleth win. Also:

On 8/24/2020 at 12:18 PM, Florete said:

It's hard for me to create a definitive list since most characters in this game I'm around neutral on. If I were to try, though, it would look something like this:

1. Dorothea
  2. Byleth (F)
  3. Gatekeeper
  4. Edelgard
  5. Petra
  6. Lorenz
  7. Lysithea
  8. Mercedes
  9. Constance
  10. Sothis

But honestly the last half or so can probably be shuffled around.

This is my top 10 favorite Three Houses characters list from mid 2020. 3 of the top 4 are now CYL winners. If the pattern continues...Dorothea next year? Wait, wtf is Constance doing there?

I don't want to start seriously predicting next year; it's not unlikely we'll see a new FE game this year, which could dominate CYL7 like TH did with CYL4.

If we don't see a new FE this year, though, I could see something like:
Female: Corrin and Bernadetta (yeah, just the next 2. Not expecting any shake-ups here)
Male: Sigurd, Robin or Soren (Seliph voters will likely jump to Sigurd. If Soren doesn't get anything this year he and Robin will likely fight for 2nd, but if Soren gets an alt that will hurt his support. I don't expect Felix to win, especially if his base form comes this year)

Edited by Florete

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

Byleth existing is a disappointment, but grats to her fans I guess.

Sorry gotta say it: WHAT FANS??? She's a complete blank slate of an avatar, and you don't even get to customize her. Please someone tell me the appeal of Byleth themselves, beyond just being a character from Three Houses???

This is honestly just... maaaaan, I would have preferred a meme pick over Byleth. I mean Gatekeeper was kinda weird to see, but at least he's an actual CHARACTER.
Come on, where's... I dunno, the big chick from Midori's paralogue? Is she a meme? She seems like a meme. What about Fab Bandit Bros, Is there a pair of Fab Bandit Bros chicks? WHY IS THERE NO FAB BANDIT BROS IN MY FIRE EMBLEM GACHA GAME YET???

...oh yeah the other 3 are good.

Edited by Xenomata

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Sorry gotta say it: WHAT FANS??? She's a complete blank slate of an avatar, and you don't even get to customize her. Please someone tell me the appeal of Byleth themselves, beyond just being a character from Three Houses???

This is honestly just... maaaaan, I would have preferred a meme pick over Byleth. I mean Gatekeeper was kinda weird to see, but at least he's an actual CHARACTER.
Come on, where's... I dunno, the big chick from Midori's paralogue? Is she a meme? She seems like a meme. What about Fab Bandit Bros, Is there a pair of Fab Bandit Bros chicks? WHY IS THERE NO FAB BANDIT BROS IN MY FIRE EMBLEM GACHA GAME YET???

...oh yeah the other 3 are good.

Hi. 20,855 votes worth of fans, 2 of which were mine. And I don't even like Three Houses.

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

This is my top 10 favorite Three Houses characters list from mid 2020. 3 of the top 4 are now CYL winners. If the patterns continues...Dorothea next year? Wait, wtf is Constance doing there?

I don't want to start seriously predicting next year; it's not unlikely we'll see a new FE game this year, which could dominate CYL7 like TH did with CYL4.

If we don't see a new FE this year, though, I could see something like:
Female: Corrin and Bernadetta (yeah, just the next 2. Not expecting any shake-ups here)
Male: Sigurd, Robin or Soren (Seliph voters will likely jump to Sigurd. If Soren doesn't get anything this year he and Robin will likely fight for 2nd, but if Soren gets an alt that will hurt his support. I don't expect Felix to win, especially if his base form comes this year)

My Top 10 Three Houses characters looks like this:

1. Dimitri
2. Marianne
3. Ashe
4. Mercedes
5. Claude
6. Seteth
7. Yuri
8. Alois
9. Dorothea
10. Felix

Three of my top five are CYL winners, and I can see three more on my list winning, those three being Yuri, Dorothea, and Felix. Unless Dorothea and Felix get their regular base New Hero variants added to the game soon, that is, then I'd suspect neither will win.

For next year, if we don't see a new game and/or remake, I think I agree. Corrin and Bernadetta are likely to be the two female winners, and Sigurd is likely to be a male winner with Robin, Soren, and potentially Felix (if his base form isn't in the game) vying for the other winner slot. I could see Byleth competing, too, if they keep him on the poll.

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I voted for Plumeria all the way so I did not vote for F!Byleth. But if all the Dancers/Singers and Annas were taken away, then my top pick would be F!Byleth or F!Robin.

For me anyways, the appeal of F!Byleth is that she is a self insert, powerful, and hot. I like the avatars in general, especially in games that I have played. Blank slate avatars are nice because in a way it is easier to imagine yourself in their shoes. Avatars full of personality are good too, and I really like how Robin was written since I can still insert myself into their shoes. While F!Byleth is not as brazen with her leadership and power like Edelgard, she still carried herself with authority and gravitas, and I find women in positions of power with the world on their shoulders to be very magnetic and irresistable. F!Byleth is also physically very attractive, and that does not hurt either.

unknown.png

I created this as an idea- how many characters from each setting made the top 200. I went with 200 mostly because that's what the recent results do. My main question when I made it is "did the 3H hype train die down yet"- it turns out it's still holding strong, even if there is, in fact, a decrease. What I was more surprised to see was how well Tellius, Heroes and TMS are doing.

(One thing that also helps Fates out here is that somehow, it's still only lost one character to actually winning.)

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Byleth's character is defined by the narrative with just a little bit of digging and using the gameplay experience of being Byleth. It's not quite the same as a conventional character, but it is by no means inferior.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

Hi. 20,855 votes worth of fans, 2 of which were mine. And I don't even like Three Houses.

I mean that's fine and all, I'm not gonna dispute the results of the vote, but that doesn't tell me WHY. What is the appeal of Byleth, the female one especially, that would make people want her to be a Brave Hero in Heroes? Is it a meme that I'm not getting? And on a side note, I still don't have an answer to WHERE MY BANDIT BROS ARE. Easily the most doable Duo hero behind... basically all of them I guess, but bottom of the list is still on the list!
My point of view below.

Spoiler

Lemme grab @XRay as well since okay you made some fair points, but to explain from my perspective (which I do not tote as accurate, so pardon if it isn't):

• No personality. Not a jab at her having a boring personality, she literally just doesn't have one. Just a giant ball of mystery. No emotions, no particular likes or dislikes, just empty. (I think she's supposed to have developed as a character by the end of the game, but if she does then it does not pop out to me) I personally can't really project myself onto a character that well, pretty much exclusively use custom avatars to make something cool if I'm not just using the default character, so already she doesn't stand out that much to me, but from memory the blank avatar is usually IMPLIED to have some sort of character, even if it's the bare-basic cool/kind/mysterious Hero who has a dark past but always does the right thing...
  • So okay, if I'm able to agree that Byleth works as a self-project avatar character, because yes in fairness leaving a lot open to interpretation does seem a good way to let someone identify with a character, that leads onto my next point, which also leads me to bringing in @bethany81707: Byleth is supposed to be her own character in Heroes. There is no choices for us to make in regard to who she is and how she will develop, hell they can't even dig into any potential character development she could have had by the end of the game because whoops they have to keep it ambiguous which path this particular Byleth took, so that basically leaves the only possible chardev to come from the events that remain the same in all 4 paths, which if I'm reading their quotes right they don't even do that. I'm almost positive this depiction of Byleth is what the other characters in 3H see/hear when interacting with her, and that does not make me like her any more or less.
  • Undeniably strong, great leadership, a role model of a teacher, able to keep her cool in battle to make the best decision to carry everyone through the day (except when she's putting her life on the line to save someone elses, or to avenge her dead dad), everyone loves and respects her, or are quite interested in the mysterious person. Has the Crest of Flames, which no one should have, and is able to use the Sword of the Creator as a result. Fuck, she has a GOD living in her head who lets her turn back time, at least until she inherits said gods powers for herself. I don't want to call Byleth "overpowered" since a lot of what makes her such is just her ability to bond with other characters, but the overpowered character has also never appealed to me and in some cases just makes me not like the character more (makes it real hard finding anime to watch that I don't just wince at), and sorry if I'm wrong but Byleth kind of feels like she has one foot in the door of overpowered... if not both legs, torso, arms, and head.
  • Lastly, it just feels hard to like a self-project character like Byleth when all the other characters within 3H are just so much more interesting or fun to watch and interact with.

Granted yes she is attractive. May my existence be melted down into computer coolant if Byleth isn't attractive. But otherwise, Byleth just does not do anything for me as a character. Robin and Corrin kind of do, Kris is hard to judge and Mark may as well not exist, but Byleth hits none of the notes that make me like other FE characters, and that makes me not understand why she is the one that people voted for as being a Brave Hero.

I also want it noted: I am not trying to bring down someone elses opinion on Byleth. If you like her, that is fine. The above are not insults toward Byleth, even if I made them sound like such: they are how I view Byleth's character. I legitimately want to understand why Byleth got voted for by people.
not very happy about feeling like I'm starting a fire with the above either...

Edited by Xenomata

27 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I mean that's fine and all, I'm not gonna dispute the results of the vote, but that doesn't tell me WHY. What is the appeal of Byleth, the female one especially, that would make people want her to be a Brave Hero in Heroes? Is it a meme that I'm not getting? And on a side note, I still don't have an answer to WHERE MY BANDIT BROS ARE. Easily the most doable Duo hero behind... basically all of them I guess, but bottom of the list is still on the list!

I can tell you for sure it's not a meme. No one wins on meme status alone, no matter what anyone wants to think about Gatekeeper.

I don't know why you say 'especially,' but I prefer female Byleth in large part because I always play the female avatar. As far as other reasons, I agree with a lot of what XRay said. For me, she worked really well as an avatar; Robin and Corrin feel like they're trying too hard to be both their own character and a player avatar and not doing a great job at either as a result, while Byleth is like 90% avatar and 10% her own character. It's kind of hard to explain, but I ultimately just felt much more connected to her than I ever did with Robin or Corrin. The avatar system isn't perfect, but for someone like me who actually likes having an avatar character, it's definitely the best the series has done thus far.

People vote for their favorite characters. It's not very deep.

11 minutes ago, Xenomata said:
  • No personality. Not a jab at her having a boring personality, she literally just doesn't have one. Just a giant ball of mystery. No emotions, no particular likes or dislikes, just empty. (I think she's supposed to have developed as a character by the end of the game, but if she does then it does not pop out to me) I personally can't really project myself onto a character that well, pretty much exclusively use custom avatars to make something cool if I'm not just using the default character, so already she doesn't stand out that much to me, but from memory the blank avatar is usually IMPLIED to have some sort of character, even if it's the bare-basic cool/kind/mysterious Hero who has a dark past but always does the right thing...

I guess for me, I find her lack of personality appealing, since it makes her mysterious and alien in a way. She is kind of like Rei Ayanami as a kuudere, but she is actually warm and socialable, so F!Byleth is likable to me whereas I find Rei to be too detached for me to care about.

In contrast, I find Bernadetta's personality to be super offputting, even though I can somewhat relate to her. I know that her shyness is attractive to a lot of people, and a lot of people can relate to her social anxiety, but I just find how extreme she exhibits it to be offputting for me. Like if game makers dialed it back to the level of Sakura for example, I would probably find her adorable rather than feeling repulsed.

Different strokes for different folks, and I guess the dosage matters too. For me, I think F!Byleth got just the right amount of emptiness for me to find it attractive, while I do not hate Rei, I do not find her personality particularly appealing since Rei's is a bit too extreme for me.

I guess this answers the question of who is ore popular, Male Byleth or Female Byleth...I don't understand this community. Well at least I can be happy Tiki and a Jugdral character won even if I didn't vote for either of them. I expect Brave Tiki will be exceptionally OP.

Yay Tiki!! Congrats to Chrom and Seliph too, and Byleth, well, that was always going to happen sooner or later, and at least it's the one I played. Here's to her hopefully getting a good outfit for the first time in her life.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I mean that's fine and all, I'm not gonna dispute the results of the vote, but that doesn't tell me WHY. What is the appeal of Byleth, the female one especially, that would make people want her to be a Brave Hero in Heroes? Is it a meme that I'm not getting?

In addition to the projection avatar thing, and the fact that involvement in the narrative can carry a character pretty far regardless of how developped their personality is, Byleth (either gender) is something of a concept character. As in, it's the concept of someone who has been mostly emotionless/emotionally stunted for most of her life, to the point of barely speaking, and starts to change and form more of a personality and bond with people over the course of the story, who suddenly has a mysterious sassy little girl in her head for no reason she can see and slowly comes to the conclusion that this amnesiac ghost kid might just be the goddess everyone talks about, someone who has lived has a mercenary all her life and is pretty badass as a result, but has been kinda isolated from the rest of the world and is now thrust into the role of a teacher with no preparation, etc... that appeals to people, regardless of the execution or lack thereof in the game. When you look at the potential of what the game sets up and doesn't do much with, there's enough to catch people's interest. I didn't vote for her, and wouldn't list her as one of my favorite characters, but that stuff was compelling enough while i played the game.

3 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

unknown.png

I created this as an idea- how many characters from each setting made the top 200. I went with 200 mostly because that's what the recent results do. My main question when I made it is "did the 3H hype train die down yet"- it turns out it's still holding strong, even if there is, in fact, a decrease. What I was more surprised to see was how well Tellius, Heroes and TMS are doing.

(One thing that also helps Fates out here is that somehow, it's still only lost one character to actually winning.)

Byleth's character is defined by the narrative with just a little bit of digging and using the gameplay experience of being Byleth. It's not quite the same as a conventional character, but it is by no means inferior.

Moirai?

27 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Moirai?

If I were to guess, that would be Fates. The land mass which make up Hoshido and Nohr does not have an official name. and according to wikipedia, the Moirai are known in english as the "Fates," which would make the name apply.

Looking at the chart, it does also match the results of CYL1, which had a large Fates representation.

Edited by Xenomata

7 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

It's here! 

Guys

1. Chrom

2. Seliph

Gals

1. A!Tiki

2. Byleth

We all knew F!Byleth was a lock for this year, hopefully Felix gets in in this month's NH Banner so we don't have to worry about him winning next year. I'd like to say the same for Bernie, but she has two variants in FEH and still ranked high two years in a row, so...

I just want a year with no 3H reps, please. At least they didn't take a top spot this time I suppose. I'm really happy for the other three though, they're great!

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, Gatekeeper definitely skewed the vote spread.

Looking over, the vote dilution seemed that at least some went to the women's side. Despite the top 3 spots getting less votes than in CYL5, the following spots on the Top 10 are much higher instead, by the thousands even, before evening out on the last ones.

I noticed this too! I'm curious if we can expect this trend in following years too. Hmm...

2 hours ago, XRay said:

but I just find how extreme she exhibits it to be offputting for me. Like if game makers dialed it back to the level of Sakura for example, I would probably find her adorable rather than feeling repulsed

This is my take too, and makes me worry that a lot of her appeal comes from people going all "Must Protecc" or infantilizing her anxiety, but that's a can of worms I don't want to open. I do want to say it's creepy that almost all of her supports are built around using her fear and delusions for comedy though. Once or twice is one thing, but all of her C Supports (except Alois' IIRC) and a good chunk of her B (and some A) supports?

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I dislike F!Byleth because her design (including her alternate outfits in FEH and Heroes) reeks of fanservice and how often she comes up in shipping discussions gives me another reason to be pessimistic about her votes, but Byleth as a character I think has a neat back story and I'm a fan of the kuudere archetype (someone who doesn't show emotions at first but learns to open up over time). I agree that making them a blank slate was a terrible idea though: Byleth is easily the most interesting concept for an Avatar we've had yet, and they're the one IS wanted to make a silent protagonist? Corrin would have been a much better choice since they don't have anything to them apart from standard "hates war" and "cares about family" thoughts, which are a given for all rational people.

So... yeah, while I'm not a fan of her winning CYL, I do think the Byleths have some worth. They're not complex by any means, but there's kernel of interesting material there.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

She is kind of like Rei Ayanami as a kuudere

no wonder i hate both Rei and the Byleths lmao

as for the results, i'm happy that Seliph and Adult Tiki managed to stay where they already were (though i wouldn't have disliked Seliph surpassing Chrom)
now i'm kinda mixed about the next CYL event, because Soren might actually have a chance of winning, so i don't want a new FE game to come out and completely subvert my expectations

on the other hand, if said game is revealed to be a Genealogy remake, Sigurd might follow Seliph as a CYL7 winner, either getting 1st or 2nd, so yeah, i don't know what to think

Edited by Yexin

52 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

We all knew F!Byleth was a lock for this year

Funny you'd say that, considering she got the lowest total votes of the four and was the closest to not making it.

51 minutes ago, Yexin said:

on the other hand, if said game is revealed to be a Genealogy remake, Sigurd might follow Seliph as a CYL7 winner, either getting 1st or 2nd, so yeah, i don't know what to think

If we get a Genealogy remake this year, Sigurd is absolutely taking 1st place in CYL7.

Hmm I can't find the full list. I just want to know where Elena placed this year, and if it was higher than last year or not.

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

So far the Brave Units have mostly been the main lords rather than other characters. And Byleth simply was the last remaining lordling left after the house leaders got picked. In fact it might even reflect kinda poorly on Byleth that she needed three CYL's to finally get a Brave despite being the main character of the hot new entree. 

It being Fembeth rather than Manbeth probably has much to do with female Byleth being considered cute which is a sentiment that has always affected the rankings to some degree. 

46 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Hmm I can't find the full list. I just want to know where Elena placed this year, and if it was higher than last year or not.

https://vote6.campaigns.fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-US/result

Your desired character's position is 322. Not sure how that compares to last year.

---

I see Touma fell out of the top 20, but still in the top 40 and Itsuki and Tsubasa are above him, Yashiro made the top 100 too. Means TMS will hopefully get another banner late this year/early next year. Ideally not seasonal, as all I want is to see Touma in FEH chibi spritework form. For all the many ways this mobile game is incompatible with me, I do acknowledge it has good spritework.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

My two happiest things: 

Chrom won, and Soren didn't place get higher than fourth. I hope next year we either get Felix & Robin, or if the rumors of a new game are real, a character from that game and someone else that isn't Soren. The year Soren wins is going to be the year I feel as if I'm wasting a CYL unit, even if it's free or a spark. 

On the girl's side, I'm really happy for A!Tiki fans and Byleth fans! I like both characters, so it's a win in my books. If Corrin and Hilda/Azura won next year, I'd be pretty happy as well. (Or again, if the rumors of a new game are true, a character from that game and Corrin/Hilda/Azura.) I don't hate Bernadetta like I do Soren, but I certainly don't get all of the love. Regardless, I won't be too sad if she wins next year. Not my preferred choice, but not the worst choice in the world either. 

As for the typing of this year's winners my predictions are: 

Chrom - Red Sword Unit (with Green Mage as a backup in order to reference Emmeryn)

A!Tiki - Green Dragon Unit (She's the wild-card, so wherever she's fit the other units will have to work around her)

Byleth - Blue Lance Unit as an homage to Jeralt

Seliph - Colorless Mage/Healer in homage to Deirdre 

Edited by Use the Falchion

I've been crunching numbers at something doesn't add up. As some of you may know I have an on going count of how many of the playable characters in the series have managed to get into Heroes. My total tally for playable characters in the series is 609, and that's grouping together all the characters in Archanea and Tellius (so they aren't counted twice). This time round I decided to do a tally of all the characters on the CYL poll and I reached a total 982 characters, however this one does count Archanean and Tellius characters twice. However, the deviation comes with the CYL results, which only lists characters up to 506 (even though the final category is 401st-600th). How can there only be 506 characters on the CYL poll when there are more than 600 characters in the series total? Likewise, if there are 982 individual options to choose from, how do we end up with results nearly half that number? You can take off maybe 200 characters for everyone that is on the poll twice and probably 20 for previous winners, but it still seems like the number of results should be a good few hundred higher. So what gives? George is in last place with 6 votes, does that mean there are a few hundred characters with 0 votes that didn't make it? Or is my maths wrong. Something is defintiely up though as even a google search of the number of playable FIre Emblem characters is almost 600 and every playable character (plus a bunch of NPCs) are on the poll. Can anyone thing of an obscure character that got 0 votes that might be on the poll?

21 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

The year Soren wins is going to be the year I feel as if I'm wasting a CYL unit, even if it's free or a spark. 

basically how many others already felt since the 3H overload that happened 2 years ago and that carried over to last year as well
i guess that moment comes for everyone, sooner or later, so i wouldn't cry about it

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

almedha is 381th with 143 votes, just above Azel
it could've been worse