Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've been crunching numbers at something doesn't add up. As some of you may know I have an on going count of how many of the playable characters in the series have managed to get into Heroes. My total tally for playable characters in the series is 609, and that's grouping together all the characters in Archanea and Tellius (so they aren't counted twice). This time round I decided to do a tally of all the characters on the CYL poll and I reached a total 982 characters, however this one does count Archanean and Tellius characters twice. However, the deviation comes with the CYL results, which only lists characters up to 506 (even though the final category is 401st-600th). How can there only be 506 characters on the CYL poll when there are more than 600 characters in the series total? Likewise, if there are 982 individual options to choose from, how do we end up with results nearly half that number? You can take off maybe 200 characters for everyone that is on the poll twice and probably 20 for previous winners, but it still seems like the number of results should be a good few hundred higher. So what gives? George is in last place with 6 votes, does that mean there are a few hundred characters with 0 votes that didn't make it? Or is my maths wrong. Something is defintiely up though as even a google search of the number of playable FIre Emblem characters is almost 600 and every playable character (plus a bunch of NPCs) are on the poll. Can anyone thing of an obscure character that got 0 votes that might be on the poll?

It's because the numbers are ranks, not characters. If two characters are tied for 108th rank, they'll both be listed as 108 - and then the next highest characters will be listed as 109, even though there are more than 108 characters ahead of them.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

I guess this answers the question of who is ore popular, Male Byleth or Female Byleth...I don't understand this community. Well at least I can be happy Tiki and a Jugdral character won even if I didn't vote for either of them. I expect Brave Tiki will be exceptionally OP.

Eh, I don't think you can use CYL poll results to definitively say which of the Byleth's is more popular. The male side was definitely more competitive this time around, with the lure of Chrom winning and first Jugdral winner and possible Soren being too much for people to pass up. Female Byleth's opposition was, uh. Adult Tiki and Bernadetta. Far less competitive.

Also, this IS a gacha game that has prioritized waifus in the later years. Which attracts a certain crowd of people more than others. So.

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

The year Soren wins is going to be the year I feel as if I'm wasting a CYL unit, even if it's free or a spark. 

Then just think of it as yet another banner, one with consistently strong (for their time) units, but so what? Treat it as just another safe skip/limited interest group and save for another. On the positive side, given CYL is color-balanced, there wouldn't be a chance that unless Soren's color was the only thing in the batch, that you could accidentally get him on the initial release but he would inevitably troll you eventually.

Assuming a new game not a remake comes out later this year, I would think that FEH might shut down before a CYL wherein Soren stands another chance. Whats the likelihood of this game lasting to a CYL8?

22 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Also, this IS a gacha game that has prioritized waifus in the later years. Which attracts a certain crowd of people more than others. So.

Is the waifu crowd the absolute worst though? Reading Internet comments on random articles led me to stumble on this.:

E_character.jpg

Tokyo Afterschool Summoners

On the one hand, this gatcha game, 5-years-old like FEH, is the first significant gatcha game to recruit prominent bara artists. Bara being manga written and drawn by gay Japanese men for gay Japanese men; as opposed to yaoi being written and drawn by straight Japanese women and men for an overwhelmingly straight female audience. Diversity in gatcha, yippee!.

On the other hand, the game's other audience... furries.😐

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the one hand, this gatcha game, 5-years-old like FEH, is the first significant gatcha game to recruit prominent bara artists. Bara being manga written and drawn by gay Japanese men for gay Japanese men; as opposed to yaoi being written and drawn by straight Japanese women and men for an overwhelmingly straight female audience. Diversity in gatcha, yippee!.

I see no problems here.

19 minutes ago, Othin said:

I see no problems here.

I mean, sure I've a desire to hear Skrimir roar, but these beastmen cross the line into being too physiologically bestial.

You're right, I shouldn't kinkshame the furries. My mistake. It just kinda undermined my initial reaction on seeing the bara artist representation why doesn't FEH try hiring one for a change?.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then just think of it as yet another banner, one with consistently strong (for their time) units, but so what? Treat it as just another safe skip/limited interest group and save for another.

CYL banners have four free sparks, one for each CYL unit, and I almost obsessively like to use all of them. I save up for them. I use the pulls on the way to the sparks for units or feathers for merge projects. It's annoying feeling like someday I'll have to skip one of these free sparks because of a unit I actively dislike is there. Usually when a unit I dislike shows up, I don't need to spark on that banner and then inevitably, I end up pulling them on something else later down the line and they ruin my chances of getting what I actually wanted. For CYL it's a little different. But don't worry, I'll be happy for Soren winners if/when the time comes. But only, like, 25% happy.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whats the likelihood of this game lasting to a CYL8?

Surprisingly good from my perspective. A new game would bring in enough life for at least a year and a half, and FEH hasn't really touched the Substitute Second Generation units, so they still have that in their back pocket. And another TMS banner. Add in the occasional crossover, a few new FEH OCs, and switching up the Seasonals, and I think the game can make it to CYL8. Now CYL10 may be a harder stretch, but not an impossible one, depending on IntSys's future releases. 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://vote6.campaigns.fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-US/result

Your desired character's position is 322. Not sure how that compares to last year.

Thanks! I don't remember the previous number either (I'm bad with numbers) but I hope it's higher than it was. Maybe someday Elena's time will come, but I'm beginning to lose hope. I once banked on "everyone's favorites are already in so there's less competition" but then people just stopped participating/started voting for popular characters because they're popular instead of helping out more obscure characters. I'm trying to keep my chin up, but I feel kind of wilted, you know?

2 hours ago, Othin said:

It's because the numbers are ranks, not characters. If two characters are tied for 108th rank, they'll both be listed as 108 - and then the next highest characters will be listed as 109, even though there are more than 108 characters ahead of them.

Ah, I see. Thank you, it was actually bothering me far more than it should.

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Eh, I don't think you can use CYL poll results to definitively say which of the Byleth's is more popular. The male side was definitely more competitive this time around, with the lure of Chrom winning and first Jugdral winner and possible Soren being too much for people to pass up. Female Byleth's opposition was, uh. Adult Tiki and Bernadetta. Far less competitive.

Yet another reason CYL shouldn't be split by gender.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then just think of it as yet another banner, one with consistently strong (for their time) units, but so what? Treat it as just another safe skip/limited interest group and save for another. On the positive side, given CYL is color-balanced, there wouldn't be a chance that unless Soren's color was the only thing in the batch, that you could accidentally get him on the initial release but he would inevitably troll you eventually.

Assuming a new game not a remake comes out later this year, I would think that FEH might shut down before a CYL wherein Soren stands another chance. Whats the likelihood of this game lasting to a CYL8?

Is the waifu crowd the absolute worst though? Reading Internet comments on random articles led me to stumble on this.:

E_character.jpg

Lol

I don't understand furries, but almost 1/2 of my IRL friends are somehow furries so I don't think it'd be wise for me to say anything other than I'm not into it myself.

6 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Chrom - Red Sword Unit (with Green Mage as a backup in order to reference Emmeryn)

A!Tiki - Green Dragon Unit (She's the wild-card, so wherever she's fit the other units will have to work around her)

Byleth - Blue Lance Unit as an homage to Jeralt

Seliph - Colorless Mage/Healer in homage to Deirdre 

I hope others want to get a headstart in theorycrafting these too!

Chrom: I'm convinced he'll get a buffed "To Change Fate!" much like Marth and Shining Emblem and I'm not sure if that would work well with a melee weapon, so I really like your Green Mage idea. I guess he could also be a Green Bow instead, to round out the "Chrom as Archer" set...

A!Tiki: Her summer alt is Green, so I was thinking she'd be one of the other colors. Maybe a blue flying Dragon to homage her Naga self from Future Past? And yes, this would absolutely powercreep the Naga we have now.

F!Byleth: As much as I liked the creativity of the 3H units last year, I think this is going to be another lazy one: Sword infantry with Snow Mercurius to complete the CYL4 set, complete with the Sothis Regalia to entice people who like her for her looks and shippers. M!Byleth's going to be the Lance cavalier instead, if he ever wins.

Seliph: This is the one I have no idea about. Maybe he'll steal one of Leif's bows? He could be a colorless tome instead, to homage Deirdre as you said.

I'm hoping none are swords, except maybe Byleth if she gets Snow Mercurius to fill out the set with the house leaders, and is cavalry. For Chrom it would be nice if he got a lance like BLucina did for their Great Lord class. Tiki will be a dragon (prob colorless) and Seliph idk, but with green left in this half-assed theory he could take some new version of the Naga tome.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

I'm hoping none are swords, except maybe Byleth if she gets Snow Mercurius to fill out the set with the house leaders, and is cavalry. For Chrom it would be nice if he got a lance like BLucina did for their Great Lord class. Tiki will be a dragon (prob colorless) and Seliph idk, but with green left in this half-assed theory he could take some new version of the Naga tome.

They haven't given us the Master Lance yet, they might toss that on Seliph, if that wouldn't be too underwhelming for a 2022 Brave Unit. Master Bow Leif is still pretty decent though.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They haven't given us the Master Lance yet, they might toss that on Seliph, if that wouldn't be too underwhelming for a 2022 Brave Unit. Master Bow Leif is still pretty decent though.

I could see him getting Meisterlanzen as an upgraded Ragnell-Alondite.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

I guess this answers the question of who is ore popular, Male Byleth or Female Byleth...I don't understand this community.

The previous CYL results also made this pretty clear too.

FByleth is more popular than MByleth because:

• She's generally seen as a more attractive / better design. Subjective, I know, and if anyone reading this prefers MByleth, more power to you! But in my anecdotal experience this is absolutely the case on average; FByleth is one of the more popular 3H characters for pure looks, while MByleth really isn't (he's well behind Dimitri, Claude, Sylvain, Felix, etc., in my experience). It's not just sexual, either, as fanart bears out: you see a lot more FByleth fanart than MByleth (even though the most common demographic for fanartists is straight women).
  • Shipping. The most popular 3H characters for avatar ships are, by far, the three lords. Canonically, FByleth can S-rank all three, while MByleth can only S-rank Edelgard. And even among Edeleth shippers, the fact that Edelgard/FByleth is a rare example of a prominent canonical same-sex ship means that it takes up all the oxygen in the room and is way, way more popular than Edelgard/MByleth as a result.

To speak of Byleth in general, well, I wouldn't vote for Byleth for personality myself, but clearly some people do. And to be perfectly frank, while their personality is limited to dialog choices and some limited physical emoting, I still don't consider that to be particularly far behind Seliph. Main characters typically do well in CYL, due to kinda being the face of the game. Byleth's role in this regard is a bit diluted by the house leaders, but the logic still holds.

I think MByleth stands to do reasonably well next year, if no new FE comes out by then. Maybe not top two but I wouldn't count him out. Like Alm in CYL3, I think his fanbase might be extra motivated now that his opposite number on the female side has gotten in.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yet another reason CYL shouldn't be split by gender.

If CYL wasn't split by gender, then we would have a few different Brave Hero alts...

1. Tharja received more overall votes than Roy in CYL1. Roy almost wasn't our boy.
  2. Marth would have received his Brave alt a year earlier, while Lysithea would have been shafted in CYL4, as Marth received more votes than her.
  3. Chrom actually received more votes than BOTH the girls in CYL5, but still less than Gatekeeper and Marth. Eirika would have been dropped without gender splitting.

It would have been interesting to see how the lack of gender splitting would have affected the future of CYL... after all, Tharja, who was #4, has since dropped to the lower 20s in the following years. Would Roy have been a high-listed unit had he been in more than just the first CYL, after we knew what being a CYL unit meant?

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thanks for reminding me this game exists. Extra special thanks for pulling up the image.
Now if you will excuse me, I need to go bleach my brain again, because I do NOT need this to live rent-free in my head.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

• Shipping. The most popular 3H characters for avatar ships are, by far, the three lords. Canonically, FByleth can S-rank all three, while MByleth can only S-rank Edelgard. And even among Edeleth shippers, the fact that Edelgard/FByleth is a rare example of a prominent canonical same-sex ship means that it takes up all the oxygen in the room and is way, way more popular than Edelgard/MByleth as a result.

I will readily admit that this is part of my own love for FByleth.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

If CYL wasn't split by gender, then we would have a few different Brave Hero alts...

1. Tharja received more overall votes than Roy in CYL1. Roy almost wasn't our boy.
  2. Marth would have received his Brave alt a year earlier, while Lysithea would have been shafted in CYL4, as Marth received more votes than her.
  3. Chrom actually received more votes than BOTH the girls in CYL5, but still less than Gatekeeper and Marth. Eirika would have been dropped without gender splitting.

It would have been interesting to see how the lack of gender splitting would have affected the future of CYL... after all, Tharja, who was #4, has since dropped to the lower 20s in the following years. Would Roy have been a high-listed unit had he been in more than just the first CYL, after we knew what being a CYL unit meant?

Things would just be completely different if CYL wasn't gender split. Tharja winning over Roy in year 1 alone would throw off future years. CYL5, even assuming previous years all went the same and for this year they decided to drop the gender split, would have gone way different because a bunch of people swapped to join either the pro-Gatekeeper group or the anti-Gatekeeper group, inflating the votes on the male side; without a gender split the anti-Gatekeeper crowd would have needed to rally behind four other characters to knock him out instead of just two. Eirika in particular probably would have gotten more votes in this scenario, as people would have believed she'd be further ahead given she was #1 for females at interim (and for all we know, at that time she very well might have had more votes than even Gatekeeper).

Hell, year 3 might have gone differently, too. People tried to knock Camilla out, which may have helped Eliwood upset Marth.

Edited by Florete

Thank you to everyone who voted Tomas, he wound up with exactly 100 votes!  Of the winners, I'm glad Seliph made it in, Jugdral was overdue for representation.  Also glad that Chrom got his moment in the sun as well.  Wasn't expecting Tiki, but hey, she's cool.  Byleth was expected, since she missed it last year.

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:
  • She's generally seen as a more attractive / better design. Subjective, I know, and if anyone reading this prefers MByleth, more power to you! But in my anecdotal experience this is absolutely the case on average; FByleth is one of the more popular 3H characters for pure looks, while MByleth really isn't (he's well behind Dimitri, Claude, Sylvain, Felix, etc., in my experience). It's not just sexual, either, as fanart bears out: you see a lot more FByleth fanart than MByleth (even though the most common demographic for fanartists is straight women).

Yeah, that's the thing that I just don't get. Best Byleth is clearly male Byleth with a hat. Now that an avatar has won though, I wonder if male Byleth will be on the poll next year. They did take old Hector and Eliwood off the poll even though they don't share votes with their younger selves. I suspect if Male Byleth is on the poll for next year then he'll win due to people's need for balance.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Thank you to everyone who voted Tomas, he wound up with exactly 100 votes!  Of the winners, I'm glad Seliph made it in, Jugdral was overdue for representation.  Also glad that Chrom got his moment in the sun as well.  Wasn't expecting Tiki, but hey, she's cool.  Byleth was expected, since she missed it last year.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

WE DID IT! Lekain got 10 more votes than last year! He now sits at a respectable 16 votes. 

I know it wasn't intentional, but thanks, guys. Your positivity about less popular characters getting some attention from the fans is really making me feel a lot better about my own pick. ^_^ Let's keep trying, and maybe things will keep getting better for our preferred characters! ^_^

I was in a rush before but I also want to congratulate the winners this year! I'm not really invested in any of them, though, so I don't have much to say. Seliph having two half-siblings is a thing, though, and you never really get to see him bond at all with Julius (for plot reasons, of course.) I'd rather see it in a Valentine's banner with Diedre, her husbands and her kids, but maybe Seliph's outfit will be inspired by his younger siblings? A sort of combined theme with Julia and Julius' designs would be cool.

6 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I know it wasn't intentional, but thanks, guys. Your positivity about less popular characters getting some attention from the fans is really making me feel a lot better about my own pick. ^_^ Let's keep trying, and maybe things will keep getting better for our preferred characters! ^_^

I was in a rush before but I also want to congratulate the winners this year! I'm not really invested in any of them, though, so I don't have much to say. Seliph having two half-siblings is a thing, though, and you never really get to see him bond at all with Julius (for plot reasons, of course.) I'd rather see it in a Valentine's banner with Diedre, her husbands and her kids, but maybe Seliph's outfit will be inspired by his younger siblings? A sort of combined theme with Julia and Julius' designs would be cool.

If people are positive about less popular characters, then I propose the mandate that people rally behind Bloom or Reptor so that we might get some more armoured magic users in the game.

In retrospect I think I prefer Mintleth instead. Jeez I feel dirty making a political vote over Elena. Gonna have to shower after that one. Next year will be Elena’s year I promise. That 1500 vote difference between 2nd and 3rd stings to say the least. If a new title is released anyone outside of new title is out of the running. Wow, Laylea might be the first substitute unit to make it in after improving so much from last year. Oh, and congrats to Natalie for being the highest ranked Fe7 female not in the game yet. 

bandicam 2022-02-01 12-27-57-324a.png

51 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The armored Jugdralian mage spot is probably reserved for Emperor Arvis

Yes, I'm sure we'll get him eventually, which precisely why I'd rather make Blume and Reptor more popular. They're currently at almost the bottom of the list, Bloom even was last one year, so its small chance they'll be added on their own. At least not without a remake.

Edited by Jotari

45 minutes ago, basedcarousel said:

Jeez I feel dirty making a political vote over Elena. Gonna have to shower after that one. Next year will be Elena’s year I promise.

Aww, thanks! (Even if the encouragement wasn't directed at me, I feel encouraged.) I'll keep voting for Elena, too. Let's work hard to try to make 2023 Elena's year to at least make a big jump in the results! (Obviously, though, actually winning would be fantastic!)