Jump to content
DefyingFates

Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

Recommended Posts

Man I don't even know who to vote for. Voting for anyone except the most popular characters feels like a lost cause (or memes, can't forget memes), and it's not even like I care about most of the popular characters in the first place.
The only one I did care about was Marth, and he's currently one of the most powerful units in all of existence, so there goes that plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Hapi, until midterms.  Then see if another Gatekeeper-ish meme pops up, then last bit for that.

5 hours ago, TheChoZenOne said:

Voting for Hapi again. I want timeskip Hapi so badly. I will vote for my waifu until she gets her alt ūü§£

Ae! Jolly good taste, my good sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ouzyxol said:

All Hapi, until midterms.  Then see if another Gatekeeper-ish meme pops up, then last bit for that.

Ae! Jolly good taste, my good sir!

That's mah¬†boy!! Aye!! Let's go!! ūüėĀ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will as always be voting Chrom, with maybe a vote to spare for Olivia just so they are in the barracks together, even though I know they won't win together. 

Honestly I have my doubts Chrom will even win. People talk like he is a guarantee due to his large lead but...

 

Seliph didn't get an alt this year except the secondary character in a harmonic. 
Felix didn't get anything at all. 
M Byleth was the sec nondairy in a duo while F Byleth led, which may hurt his fans and cause a rally. 

Meanwhile Chrom got a resplendent 

 

But at the same time, Chrom grew in 20k votes from CYL4 so he seems like a lock...except twitter trends pointed that his votes were mostly from an uptick of Seliph fans voting for Chrom to "beat" GK and they failed. Those votes are going back to Seliph, and gatekeeper votes are going to Felix or Byleth, or others but almost never Chrom. 

So Chrom is going down in votes while his three biggest competitors are going up.

Add on that Chrom fans are talking like him winning is a lock, and at the end of the day I am not sold that he will win this one. Maybe 7, but by then there will be a new Echoes game, announced if not released (hopefully) and the CYL will go to characters from that game. Even if it is just an announcement, you can still vote characters from it since they are remakes. 

 

So I am voting Chrom, but I don't think he has the biggest chances of winning. I think he may stay in third place, maybe return to fourth like 1,3 and 4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2022 at 12:42 PM, Othin said:

The female vote drops off pretty fast, but who knows who else might show up.

Byleth has 73% of the vote of Chrom in first, and female Robin has 67% of the vote of male Robin in fifth. Both the male and female runners up are dropping off at roughly the same rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Byleth has 73% of the vote of Chrom in first, and female Robin has 67% of the vote of male Robin in fifth. Both the male and female runners up are dropping off at roughly the same rate.

I'm referring to absolute votes. The third place female character has noticeably fewer votes than the fourth place male one, and the fourth and fifth place female characters have noticeably fewer than the fifth place male one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Othin said:

I'm referring to absolute votes. The third place female character has noticeably fewer votes than the fourth place male one, and the fourth and fifth place female characters have noticeably fewer than the fifth place male one.

That's also true of first place, though. Only second place has a comparable number of votes.

Compared side by side,

  • female Byleth has 72% of Chrom's votes
  • Bernadetta has 98% of male Byleth's votes
  • female Corrin has 80% of Felix's votes
  • Hilda has 71% of Yuri's votes
  • female Robin has 67% of male Robin's votes

Compared top to bottom,

  • male votes decay with¬†position relative to first as¬†100%, 35%, 30%, 28%, 23%
  • female votes decay with¬†position relative to first as 100%, 47%, 33%, 27%, 21%

They basically decay at the same rate.

Even in terms of absolute votes, compared side by side

  • female Byleth has 9846 fewer votes than Chrom
  • Bernadetta has 247 fewer votes than male Byleth
  • female Corrin has 2186 fewer votes than Felix
  • Hilda has 2871 fewer votes than Yuri
  • female Robin has 2710 fewer votes than male Robin

And compared top to bottom,

  • male votes decay with position relative to the previous position as -23282, -1742, -934, -1676
  • female votes decay with position relative to the previous position as -13683, -3681, -1619, -1515

Again, there isn't a significant difference in the decay from position to position outside of second place, where Bernadetta significantly outperforms male Byleth relative to the first runners up of their own categories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's also true of first place, though. Only second place has a comparable number of votes.

Compared side by side,

  • female Byleth has 72% of Chrom's votes
  • Bernadetta has 98% of male Byleth's votes
  • female Corrin has 80% of Felix's votes
  • Hilda has 71% of Yuri's votes
  • female Robin has 67% of male Robin's votes

Compared top to bottom,

  • male votes decay with¬†position relative to first as¬†100%, 35%, 30%, 28%, 23%
  • female votes decay with¬†position relative to first as 100%, 47%, 33%, 27%, 21%

They basically decay at the same rate.

Even in terms of absolute votes, compared side by side

  • female Byleth has 9846 fewer votes than Chrom
  • Bernadetta has 247 fewer votes than male Byleth
  • female Corrin has 2186 fewer votes than Felix
  • Hilda has 2871 fewer votes than Yuri
  • female Robin has 2710 fewer votes than male Robin

And compared top to bottom,

  • male votes decay with position relative to the previous position as -23282, -1742, -934, -1676
  • female votes decay with position relative to the previous position as -13683, -3681, -1619, -1515

Again, there isn't a significant difference in the decay from position to position outside of second place, where Bernadetta significantly outperforms male Byleth relative to the first runners up of their own categories.

You get those results if you scale by their very different first place scores. But as you said, the second places are very close, and comparisons to second are what shows the difficulty of the later places in breaking into the top 2.

Starting with second and continuing through the following three:

  • Males: 100%, 86%, 79%, 65%
  • Females: 100%, 70%, 57%, 45%

That paints a very different picture. The female votes have a sharp drop right after second while the male votes do not, which is all I'm saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going with Chrom to be safe until midterm. If he is leading 1st then I will vote for Bruno, Priam (lost cause I know), and Arlen, unless there is another gatekeeper situation then I might go all in for the memes again depending on the character. 

I am not excited about female side this year, it's either both 3H girls or one of the Jotunheim sister gets in. I don't have problem with these characters, it's the possibility that IS would just slap time skip outfits on the 3H winners that's annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really casual so I may sounds dumb but after CYL5 when they both got a preferred skill, is there an issue with being 2nd? Seems like it is fine other than pride for me. I am going Chrom all 7 no matter what because I think a lot of Chrom fans are dropping off due to him having a heavy lead in 5, but I don't want to risk it. So it won't change my votes I am just asking out of curiosity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SynthGreen said:

I am really casual so I may sounds dumb but after CYL5 when they both got a preferred skill, is there an issue with being 2nd? Seems like it is fine other than pride for me. I am going Chrom all 7 no matter what because I think a lot of Chrom fans are dropping off due to him having a heavy lead in 5, but I don't want to risk it. So it won't change my votes I am just asking out of curiosity. 

It'll all depend on whether 2nd place getting a Prf skill was a one-time thing or not due to Gatekeeper crashing CYL5. In my opinion, it absolutely isn't guaranteed that 2nd getting a Prf skill will be the norm going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only Three houses character I want is Female Byleth but she might be hurt by the Legendary alt she just got. Other than her I want Elincia and Female Robin probably going to vote them at least until midterm. Guys tbh only one I sort of want is Chrom but not nearly enough to toss a vote on the men side. I really wish they actually would let us vote for one of each gender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Only Three houses character I want is Female Byleth but she might be hurt by the Legendary alt she just got. Other than her I want Elincia and Female Robin probably going to vote them at least until midterm. Guys tbh only one I sort of want is Chrom but not nearly enough to toss a vote on the men side. I really wish they actually would let us vote for one of each gender.

I really wish they wouldn't arbritraily split the results by gender. Taking absolute values still gives a pretty even balance between the genders of the winning characters (I think it was still an even 50% split the first year, 3:1 the second year and then 3:1 the other way the next year, balancing things out and then an even 1:1 split the fourth year again, not sure about the fifth year, unchecked those numbers before the last round). And that's even if gender is something worth considering compared to the other multitude of divisons you could make between characters (the only thing worth dividing the characters that really makes sense to me is by setting).

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I really wish they wouldn't arbritraily split the results by gender. Taking absolute values still gives a pretty even balance between the genders of the winning characters (I think it was still an even 50% split the first year, 3:1 the second year and then 3:1 the other way the next year, balancing things out and then an even 1:1 split the fourth year again, not sure about the fifth year, unchecked those numbers before the last round). And that's even if gender is something worth considering compared to the other multitude of divisons you could make between characters (the only thing worth dividing the characters that really makes sense to me is by setting).

Eh I think that removing gender is opening a whole can of worms that doesn't need to be opened personally.  Refinement of the current system sure but I can already see the massive amounts of headaches that it will cause especially given how strong cyl units tend to be.  And insert gender here gets less versions of them with voting is a headache that doesn't need to exist honestly. 

Which I think will show up in the sales of the year in a not really good way for IS if they do try this. Like it or not there are quiet a few players where gender is a factor for if people will summon or not.  Some people summon for the guys other the ladies it is how it is. And I think this is especially true for the more casual Fire Emblem players who may only have played 1 or 2 games but play FEH anyways. So I feel its in IS best interest to make sure people who prefer summoning for one gender over the other both have targets on the biggest money making banner of the year.

Edited by vikingsfan92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Eh I think that removing gender is opening a whole can of worms that doesn't need to be opened personally.  Refinement of the current system sure but I can already see the massive amounts of headaches that it will cause especially given how strong cyl units tend to be.  And insert gender here gets less versions of them with voting is a headache that doesn't need to exist honestly. 

Which I think will show up in the sales of the year in a not really good way for IS if they do try this. Like it or not there are quiet a few players where gender is a factor for if people will summon or not.  Some people summon for the guys other the ladies it is how it is. And I think this is especially true for the more casual Fire Emblem players who may only have played 1 or 2 games but play FEH anyways. So I feel its in IS best interest to make sure people who prefer summoning for one gender over the other both have targets on the biggest money making banner of the year.

Well I don't expect them to actually change it, not because of business but just because of inertia. There Japanese popularity polls are always split by gender. Or at least results always seem to be presented by ranking amount gender (because let's face it, the poll isn't actually split, if it were then we'd have two votes per day, one for a female character and one for a male). In terms of business it wouldn't have any huge effect because cyl is guaranteed to sell. It is literally the most popular characters as voted by the fan base and they're made to be super strong to boot. So there's really no worries there. If four guys or four girls happen to win then it's the four most popularly available characters at the time, so they will sell. And even then it's never been a clean sweep where the four most popular characters have been of one gender. Fire Emblem has bias towards male characters while by virtue of having a lot more make characters, while heroes has a bias towards female characters by vortuenof proven sales, but when it comes to cyl votes both of those biases disappear as it comes down to the smaller pool of most popular characters which have similar popularity levels.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voting for Chrom every time again this year. I really want him to win and still have an opening on my dedicated +10 heavy inheritance Chrom emblem team (OG, Bunny and Legendary. I also have horse Chrom taking up the fourth slot for now but I haven't heavily invested in him like the others and would gladly replace him with a future brave alt).

I'm glad Marth won last year as he deserved to get in over Chrom due to coming so close before. I wasn't a fan of memey Gatekeeper taking the top spot but that's in the past now.

Onwards to CYL6! ūüôā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

It'll all depend on whether 2nd place getting a Prf skill was a one-time thing or not due to Gatekeeper crashing CYL5. In my opinion, it absolutely isn't guaranteed that 2nd getting a Prf skill will be the norm going forward.

Ah so CYL6 is what will really tell us. I guess if it was an every time thing they’d revamp old 2nd place winners 

 

okay then! I aim for first and second is a consolation prize even though tbh I think Chrom will be 3rd anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SynthGreen said:

Ah so CYL6 is what will really tell us. I guess if it was an every time thing they’d revamp old 2nd place winners 

 

okay then! I aim for first and second is a consolation prize even though tbh I think Chrom will be 3rd anyway 

It's possible that at some point they'll do a "CYL Remix" where they start releasing new personal skills for past CYL winners. They could give first place winners upgraded versions of their old personal skills and give second place ones new skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

It'll all depend on whether 2nd place getting a Prf skill was a one-time thing or not due to Gatekeeper crashing CYL5. In my opinion, it absolutely isn't guaranteed that 2nd getting a Prf skill will be the norm going forward.

If it's one time thing quite a few people would be upset.  I myself would have just give up CYL totally. I voted for both Gatekeeper and Marianne, have never voted for either Marth or the lance cav girl in any CYL, yet the unit skillset make it seems like Marth and the lance cav lady are the 1st place winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

If it's one time thing quite a few people would be upset.  I myself would have just give up CYL totally. I voted for both Gatekeeper and Marianne, have never voted for either Marth or the lance cav girl in any CYL, yet the unit skillset make it seems like Marth and the lance cav lady are the 1st place winners.

Do you legit not know Eirika's name or did you just refuse to acknowledge her by name? 

I'm not even going to bother addressing the rest of your post because I'm too distracted by that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on now, let's be fair. It's not like Brave Eirika being better than Brave Marianne is the only time the runner-up overshadowed the actual winner. Back in year 2, we had Brave Celica and Brave Veronica, and then Brave Alm vs. Brave Eliwood (never got Micaiah, so I have legit no idea if she was considered better or worse than Camilla), and then Brave Dimitri vs. Brave Claude.

For the record, I do believe that previous second place winners should get a personal skill because by CYL logic Roy, Lucina, Veronica, Ephraim, Camilla, Eliwood, Claude, and Lysithea were all more popular than Eirika and Marth. Powercreep is no reason to fuck over the characters who were more well-liked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Come on now, let's be fair. It's not like Brave Eirika being better than Brave Marianne is the only time the runner-up overshadowed the actual winner.

There's also the fact that Marianne and GK have unique niches compared to Eirika and Marth, who fit existing roles and just happen to do very well in them, which means the first two potentially have a longer shelf life.

I agree that we should get CYL Remixes though. Maybe after all of the currently scheduled Legendary Heroes get theirs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

There's also the fact that Marianne and GK have unique niches compared to Eirika and Marth, who fit existing roles and just happen to do very well in them, which means the first two potentially have a longer shelf life.

I agree that we should get CYL Remixes though. Maybe after all of the currently scheduled Legendary Heroes get theirs?

Once the currently-scheduled legendary remixes finish, I expect they'll schedule more. Like with refines, I don't think they're planning on taking a break, but they could run the CYL remixes at other times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...