Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Update: CYL 6 is live!

Update 2 (Jan 24th): Day 5, and midterms are out!

Update 3: The results are out! Happy 5th Anniversary, FEH!

Spoiler

I know this is a few weeks early (CYL starts at the end of the month), but I thought it would be nice to talk about our choices a little earlier this time and got permission from @eclipse to do so as well. And hey: if this thread stays active, maybe it'll become the "official" thread for the main event this year too?

Regardless of that, who do you plan on voting for this year?

After Eirika (finally) won last year, I'm thinking of splitting my votes between Nino and Lyon (wielding a Sacred Stone perhaps?) this time, with one vote for Elena to keep a promise I made to @Mercakete last year. If I can remember my JPN account's details, I think I'll add some Elincia and/ or F!Morgan votes too. I know that sounds heavily biased towards the women and I don't like it either. I was planning on voting for Yuri as well, but Three Houses has already taken six CYL spots in the past two years, including both first places each time (the runner up for representation is FE7 with three winners over three years) and F!Byleth with Snow Mercurius and the Sothis Regalia at least is all but guaranteed a spot already, so... yeah. I'll wait until we have a year with no FE16 reps before voting for one of them. Enjoy your -leth ships being reunited this year, I guess. (And hey, if F!Byleth is sacrificed as a "parity Hero with a fanservicey" scapegoat, at least M!Byleth has better chances of getting something creative when he wins in 2023?)

On the bright side, after the snoozefest of 2020, I'm glad the 3H winners last year had creative builds and that the second place winners got Prfs, which relieves the pressure of wanting to get them into first place for the best possible treatment, so with any luck this and future events will be less stressful for people whose favorites are in the upper ranks, which is incredible news! It injects a whole heap of possibility into the event!

So again: who will you vote for this year, and what do you want them to have?

Edited by DefyingFates

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly haven't thought too much about it! I will probably spare at least one or two votes for my favourite, Katarina, and the rest will be split between other favs I guess.

i think i'll keep on voting for Rhea, hoping that one day they'll release her OG version, and also i lost any kind of interest in whoever gets 1st or 2nd after CYL3 was over

Sigurd and Soren would be nice picks since they might have some chances of winning, but i honestly won't bother "wasting" my votes on an already lost cause

maybe the Byleths might see a decrease in their support, due to their Legendary alts being released this year, but they're 3H's main character, they're many people's waifu and husbando and so on, thus i wouldn't bet on it

Edited by Yexin

As soon as I let down my guard, BAM! This thread hits. XD I need to keep on my toes!

Anyway, for anyone who knows my voting patterns, this should come as no surprise. I'm voting for Elena as much as possible again this year. ^_^ (She's Ike and Mist's mom, who has never been playable but has always had an extremely pivotal role in her home games. For the curious, I explain all this in the appreciation thread linked in my sig.) I really want to reunite this family! So if anyone has any spare votes, I'd really appreciate it if you sent one, two, or however many her way! (She's listed under the Path of Radiance characters.)

In fact, I've voted for her every year since the first CYL, and after said first CYL, I've voted exclusively for her. (The first one was all "What is this? What's happening?" so of course my votes were split between favorites that time, not that it would have made all that much of a difference since everyone was on the table back then.) So, yeah, I guess that's a testament to how much I want to see her get in the game!

I think a lot of people like it when they can finally play characters who were previously unplayable. People also seem to put emphasis on characters who play a pivotal role in their home games. They also seem to like going for characters who haven't gotten into the game yet. Well, Elena fits all of those! (Her involvement in her world's history is on par to that of FE lords, in fact!) Plus, I think most of the popular waifus are already in, so there are probably a lot of people who don't feel super passionate about where their votes go. (Obviously, I'm just talking about the overall fanbase, not those who don't vote strictly according to who they've got a crush on, but the numbers on the ladies' side seems to have evened out more, and I don't see as many people being as passionate about their picks (on the whole) as in previous years.) So, why not throw some votes Elena's way? It would be fun to introduce her to people, since she's a character who doesn't ever get the spotlight! ^_^ Mist got Elena's Staff as a refine, so I wonder if any of the players are wondering who Elena is, too.

I want to get to know Elena better, so I'm really looking forward to her getting some lines and interacting with her family, and maybe even the herons! (She was friends with one of the heron princesses, and received Lehran's Medallion from her.)

As for things like weapon type, movement type, skills, and art design (I have no preference regarding the artist or voice actress, though I think someone who can make her sound gentle and mature would be best), I have a few preferences. Elena's class is clearly that of a cleric, so I'd like it if that option was kept open for her regular version. So, maybe being a blue tome user would fit her best (since light magic is blue in this game.) Considering Mist promotes into a sword cav, though, that could be a hint to what Elena's promoted class would be, so that would be cool to have reflected in her movement and/or weapon class. So a sword or blue tome cav would be my preference here! Now, onto the design. Often times, the winners are wearing an outfit inspired by that of someone he or she is closely associated with. Ike's CYL version is wearing an outfit inspired by his dad, but I would like to see Elena wearing something inspired by Ike's ranger outfit! (This way, both of her children are represented, with her design being based off of her son and her weapon/movement type being based off of her daughter!) Her colors are similar to Ike's, too, so I think she would look really good in a cleric version of Ike's ranger outfit. She could have a daintier headband tied elegantly around her head, have a tattered, red scarf around her neck, and maybe even sport some riding gloves and boots! She would look so pretty, and so cool! As for a specific weapon and skill, I don't know, exactly, especially since I would like to hold out on some things for other versions. (For example, she could have a sing skill called "Mother's Lullaby" which could have a bonus effect, but I feel like that would suit a banner on which she could actually be with young versions of Ike and Mist better.) I don't think she should get Florette since that's Mist's sword, but I do think she should have some sort of effect built into something that acts like the herons' built-in abilities (since she was so order-aligned that she could hold the medallion, and since she has such a close association with the herons.) I don't know what IS would come up with, but I'd just want it to reflect Elena!

She's such an unsung hero. I really want to see Elena win this year! ^_^

Last year I voted for Salem, Linoan, Galzus, Halvan, Safy, Raydrik, and... I think Marty? None of them have shown up yet so unless that changes this month, I'll stick to those votes.

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

As soon as I let down my guard, BAM! This thread hits. XD I need to keep on my toes!

Surprise! 😉

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

The first one was all "What is this? What's happening?" so of course my votes were split between favorites that time,

I wonder who else did this, because I felt the exact same way and spread my votes out... though the reason was both that and the fact that the winners were more predictable then that in 2020, when there was at least the slightest possibility of Marth or Eirika sneaking into second place 😛

I'll be doing the same thing that I've done every year. Vote Mia until we get midterms, and then pivot if I have a strong preference at the top of the table, otherwise keep throwing votes on my girl. Here's to hopefully another year in top 20.

For the guys, I'm really hoping Chrom wins this year! Other than him, the second winner doesn't really matter to me. I'll take Felix, Robin, Xander, Corrin, or a wild card pick like Seliph or Sigurd. (Depending on if/when a new game is announced.)

For the girls, I think it'll either be F!Byleth or Bernadetta (Probably Bernie) for the number 1 slot and I think Ash will be a surprise winner. She seems to be pretty popular on social media if I'm understanding some of it correctly, and I think it would be a nice win for FEH as well as the character overall. 

Last year's runner-ups:

Male:

1. Chrom (35,810)
  2. Byleth M (12,528)
  3. Felix (10,786)
  4. Yuri (9,852)
  5. Robin M (8,176)

Female:

1. Byleth F (25,964)
  2. Bernadetta (12,281)
  3. Corrin F (8,600)
  4. Hilda (6,981)
  5. Robin F (5,466)

Chrom and Byleth F are clear favorites as things stand, with more than double their runner-ups. Byleth M and Felix are the other big candidates for the male spot, Felix seems particularly notable since he still hasn't gotten a regular version and is now the only one on this list with that distinction. Yuri wasn't in the game at all in CYL5, which probably boosted his votes a lot, so I expect him to drop now. The Robins probably aren't going far due to Chrom taking the focus of Awakening fans, although I imagine Chrom winning would free up more Robin votes in future CYLs so they may finally get their shot in CYL7.

The female vote drops off pretty fast, but who knows who else might show up. Both Byleths may take a hit due to getting legendary versions this past year, so unlike Felix and Bernadetta they now have particularly powerful War Arc versions. Hilda also now has a duo as her third version while Bernadetta only has her regular, so I doubt Hilda will overtake Bernadetta.

I'm gonna guess that at the midterms, the top 3 will include Chrom and Felix for the male vote, and Byleth and Bernadetta for the female vote. Wildcards are always a possibility and they often get more attention past the midterms, so who knows where things will end up, but I assume Chrom will be one of the winners.

Edited by Othin

28 minutes ago, Othin said:

Bernadetta only has her regular

I thought Bernadetta had a Christmas alt where she summoned an entire house.

I had a conversation of the sorts recently about this.

Part of me thinks Hilda might benefit from the Marianne votes, but whether that means securing the Top 2, who knows. Unless people want to keep the Golden Deer streak going.

20 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I thought Bernadetta had a Christmas alt where she summoned an entire house.

Forgot about that one. Huh, so all three of the students among those runner-ups were in that group.

Either way, Hilda and both Byleths all got special new versions this past year while Bernie and Felix are stuck with what they had last year, so Felix and to a lesser extent Bernie are likely to benefit relative to the other three.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I had a conversation of the sorts recently about this.

Part of me thinks Hilda might benefit from the Marianne votes, but whether that means securing the Top 2, who knows. Unless people want to keep the Golden Deer streak going.

Hmm, that's a good point. As much as I love Hilda, I don't expect that to go far this year, but it's possible.

Last year I voted for Dorothy, Dithorba (YAY!), Phila and Malice (YAY!), with 3 votes for Eirika in order to secure her victory.

The year before it was Ladislava, Dorothy, Lilith (YAY!), Petrine (YAY!), Heather, Mozu and Bernie.

I'm really not sure this year. I could either keep voting for unreleased faves who are missing from the game like every other year, something like Dorothy, Mozu, Phila, Heather, Ladislava, Elena, Nuibaba.

Or I could just go all-in for Dorothy who is the character I want the most and by a lot. I guess the next banner could be Binding Blade and she could be on it, which might shake things up a bit so I will have to wait and see.

As for who will win the whole thing. I'm hoping for Bernie (and for Heroes OCs) but I'm pretty sure the ones who are guaranteed are Chrom and the Byleths which I don't mind winning at all.

I'm predicting that we could see Chrom finally getting in as 1st or 2nd Place at the Men's Division going to win in Round 6 since he was very close in Round 5. I'm also thinking Seliph or an another Three Houses Male Character like Male Byleth could win before Chrom.

For Females Division, since it's going to be Three Houses again and the other is someone not from Three Houses. I do think Bernadette or Female Byleth is going to be the next female Three Houses rep in the Poll and I'm thinking Elincia from the Tellius series should join in as the next non-Three Houses winner.

Edited by King Marth 64

I'd like something interesting like Gatekeeper again, I might even give a vote to Abysskeeper if Nintendo adds them.

I've been considering a healer only list, I might give a vote to the Byleths because their updated class has the potential to give us a staff unit.

Felix, Hilda, and Lute are the only other high placing characters from last year I might vote for.

5 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

I'd like something interesting like Gatekeeper again, I might even give a vote to Abysskeeper if Nintendo adds them.

I've been considering a healer only list, I might give a vote to the Byleths because their updated class has the potential to give us a staff unit.

Felix, Hilda, and Lute are the only other high placing characters from last year I might vote for.

Abysskeeper was on CYL5, so he should be back.

I expect he'll pick up some of Gatekeeper's supporters, but probably not a huge fraction.

Edited by Othin

Marianne winning last year was huge! I don't think I'm too concerned with the top winners this time around, pre-timeskip Bernie getting #2 back in 2020 would have been kind of funny, I might throw a vote her way since one of my buddies likes her.

Otherwise the usuals for me are Cherche and Python. I've been liking Leif and Altena so I'll throw a vote for them, also Ophelia and Annette.

From last year's results it looks like Chrom, Bernie, and both Byleths have the highest odds, and I don't see this changing much out side of Bernie and M!Byleth getting passed. Either way it look like 2-3 Three Houses characters, even though I like the game it would be cool to see some others here. There's Seliph who was practically tied with Chrom one year, anything can happen if people band together.

30 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I think I'm just going to throw all my votes for Tormod this year, minus an obligatory Reinhardt vote.

I'm thinking Tormod too, or Muarim. I may toss a few Vika's in there. But I know how unpopular she is (due to time in game) so I think I should be happy with having her pirate one and vote for her friends.

Putting myself in this conversation so I can actually be informed when it happens. Despite playing Heroes daily and being an active member of a Fire Emblem online community, somehow I always miss like the first two days of CYL. My votes this time will probably be unchanged, mostly going for Jugdral Barons so we can get some of those canonical armoured mages.

51 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Putting myself in this conversation so I can actually be informed when it happens. Despite playing Heroes daily and being an active member of a Fire Emblem online community, somehow I always miss like the first two days of CYL. My votes this time will probably be unchanged, mostly going for Jugdral Barons so we can get some of those canonical armoured mages.

If it helps, CYL always starts on Jan 28th/ 29th, depending on your timezone.

3 hours ago, Othin said:

Abysskeeper was on CYL5, so he should be back.

I expect he'll pick up some of Gatekeeper's supporters, but probably not a huge fraction.

I csn taste the salt already...

3 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm predicting that we could see Chrom finally getting in as 1st or 2nd Place at the Men's Division

My money's on 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another case of bandwagoning/ complacency this year too.

Edited by DefyingFates