Serenes most wanted characters

Jotari

Who is your most wanted character for Heroes?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your most wanted character for Heroes?

35 minutes ago, Othin said:

Creature Campaign characters are an interesting oddity, they're sort of between SpotPass and Trial Maps in terms of justification.

If we count Orson as playable, Sacred Stones now has 6/10 (60%) of its Creature Campaign cast, so it wouldn't change the percentage much. (Ismaire, Hayden, Glen, and Fado are missing.)

Since making that comment I've actually been thinking over the issue and, in fact, added a list of Creature Campigan, Trial Map Characters and Archanea's DLC exclusive units on the second sheet of my doc to test the percentages. Counting Orson and Ashnard as in the game in their base form (which I'm specifically not doing for Hardin), only Sacred Stones actually goes down in representation by a single percent, the rest go up. It's a bit weird that Sacred Stones goes down a point despite having more than half, but I guess it's to do with adding 10 characters entirely to the rather small roster which changes the weight of how much a single character is worth. The least deserving the status of being considered playable characters would be the DLC exclusive Archanea characters, aka the Assassins...but as it happens all of them have been added to Heroes already, meaning it would be a sizeable benefit to Archanea. I'm still reluctant to add any of them to the list though, as I just don't feel like Hayden, Fado and Shiharam in particularly are on the radar as potential characters. None of them would be exactly odd additions, but it took us long enough as it is to get Jill and there's still a huge amount of Tellius characters to choose from. And if Haydon and Fado ever do get in it'll probably be after everyone else (ismarie stands a better chance due to being a hot female and already having something of a prf weapon in the form of the Wind Sword).

TL;DR I'm giving Trial Maps and Creature Campaign units serious consideration, but the feeling that some will just never get into the game, coupled with some that already are in as Fallen Units (which I count as alts) makes me hesitate to include them.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO the problem with Fado, Shiharam and the likes isn't that they have low chances to be added. They still have more of a chance than some playable characters like Dolph and Macellan due to having a strong conncection with popular characters at least. Plus this is the same game that added Mustafa, Dithorba, Veld and Riev no problem.

The real problem is deciding where do you put the line. Do characters playable for just one map count? Then you have to count Orson and Black Knight.

Do characters that don't really fight but you still get to move around count? Than you have to count Merlinus.

Do characters you get to use but after a convoluted process that makes them feel less like characters and more like a gameplay mechanic count? Then you have to count the capturable bosses from Fates and the substitutes from Shadow Dragon.

Do characters you have to buy count? Then you have to count Anna from Fates and Three Houses, the 4 Cipher OCs from Echoes and the Ashen Wolves.

Do characters you can only play in a bonus mode count? Then you have to count Creature Campaign and Trial Maps.

Do characters you can only use in a DLC count? Then you have to count the assassins from Archanea and Fernand from Echoes.

One method you could use is basing it on which precedents Heroes itself set.

Like Creature Campaign and Trial Maps yes because we got most of them already, while capturable bosses no because there is no precedent from them.

DLC characters yes because we already have most of them, but substitutes no because we don't have even one of them.

At the end of the day it all depends on the definition of "playable" and I'm sure I missed some weird fringe cases that could be considered as well in this long franchise. There is no real answer.

Edited by GrandeRampel

29 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

IMHO the problem with Fado, Shiharam and the likes isn't that they have low chances to be added. They still have more of a chance than some playable characters like Dolph and Macellan due to having a strong conncection with popular characters at least. Plus this is the same game that added Mustafa, Dithorba, Veld and Riev no problem.

The real problem is deciding where do you put the line. Do characters playable for just one map count? Then you have to count Orson and Black Knight.

Orson would be counted anyway is Fado and Hayden are counted, as he is also a Creature Campaign unit.

Do characters that don't really fight but you still get to move around count? Than you have to count Merlinus.

Merlinus is counted as he is a fully playable character with supports and an endgame card and, which resolves the debate rather well, he's already in the game (though only under one time period and I doubt we'll be seeing a younger Melinus any time soon).

Do characters you get to use but after a convoluted process that makes them feel less like characters and more like a gameplay mechanic count? Then you have to count the capturable bosses from Fates and the substitutes from Shadow Dragon.

That's a good point. They are playable units, in fact they're playable in the main campaign! But no, I feel like they shouldn't be counted as their lack of supports and end cards makes them feel like they're not really playable characters. On the other hand, they have exhausted almost the entirety of the Fates cast already, so we might very well see some of the more popular generic Fates bosses in the future.

Do characters you have to buy count? Then you have to count Anna from Fates and Three Houses, the 4 Cipher OCs from Echoes and the Ashen Wolves.

Yes, they're counted. They're still fully playable characters. The Ashen Wolves are already in the game and I fully expect to see the Cipher OCs some day soon. Though if they're classed as Echo characters or Cipher characters remains to be seen. As if they do include the four Cipher characters, I'm sure there'd be some people who would like to see the other four cipher characters too.

Do characters you can only play in a bonus mode count? Then you have to count Creature Campaign and Trial Maps.

That's the main point of contention sparked by Riev's addition.

Do characters you can only use in a DLC count? Then you have to count the assassins from Archanea and Fernand from Echoes.

I voiced my opinion about the Assassins above, but I legit forgot about Fernand. He's already in the game though so he'd occupy a similar position to the Archanea assassins.

One method you could use is basing it on which precedents Heroes itself set.

Like Creature Campaign and Trial Maps yes because we got most of them already, while capturable bosses no because there is no precedent from them.

DLC characters yes because we already have most of them, but substitutes no because we don't have even one of them.

At the end of the day it all depends on the definition of "playable" and I'm sure I missed some weird fringe cases that could be considered as well in this long franchise. There is no real answer.

And that's why I go back to feeling like Hayden and Fado are unlikely to get in. I don't think the likes of Valter and Riev have been sought out and put in the game merely because they're creature campaign units, but instead because they are major villains in the game. That's unlike the case I feel for characters like Ronan or Rebecca who aren't in the game because they're particularly noteworthy or significant as characters, but because they're playable. Coupled with using the end cards from characters in their games and never straying from the titles even when they're just kind of bad (Maria: Minerva's Sister, I'm looking at you) gives the impression every playable character is on the cards to get in eventually should the game run long enough, even unpopular ones like Dolph. I'm just not sure that's the same for only theoretically important nps like Fado and Hayden. t certainly wouldn't break any rules if one of them did get in, but I just feel like Marth's father Cornelius has a better chance than Fado despite the latter being playable. especially since they've already sort of mechanically did Fado with an Ephraim alt.

The other side of the coin is if we say yes, everyone who's playable if only briefly is to be considered, then that kind of makes the list feel somewhat incomplete, as that covers such a wide swath of characters, someone like Nergal who is a major character and will definitely get into the game some day, is conspicuously missing just because he doesn't come from a game with some kind of bonus playable character feature.

Edited by Jotari

41 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Orson would be counted anyway is Fado and Hayden are counted, as he is also a Creature Campaign unit.

Merlinus is counted as he is a fully playable character with supports and an endgame card and, which resolves the debate rather well, he's already in the game (though only under one time period and I doubt we'll be seeing a younger Melinus any time soon).

That's a good point. They are playable units, in fact they're playable in the main campaign! But no, I feel like they shouldn't be counted as their lack of supports and end cards makes them feel like they're not really playable characters. On the other hand, they have exhausted almost the entirety of the Fates cast already, so we might very well see some of the more popular generic Fates bosses in the future.

Yes, they're counted. They're still fully playable characters. The Ashen Wolves are already in the game and I fully expect to see the Cipher OCs some day soon. Though if they're classed as Echo characters or Cipher characters remains to be seen. As if they do include the four Cipher characters, I'm sure there'd be some people who would like to see the other four cipher characters too.

That's the main point of contention sparked by Riev's addition.

I voiced my opinion about the Assassins above, but I legit forgot about Fernand. He's already in the game though so he'd occupy a similar position to the Archanea assassins.

And that's why I go back to feeling like Hayden and Fado are unlikely to get in. I don't think the likes of Valter and Riev have been sought out and put in the game merely because they're creature campaign units, but instead because they are major villains in the game. That's unlike the case I feel for characters like Ronan or Rebecca who aren't in the game because they're particularly noteworthy or significant as characters, but because they're playable. Coupled with using the end cards from characters in their games and never straying from the titles even when they're just kind of bad (Maria: Minerva's Sister, I'm looking at you) gives the impression every playable character is on the cards to get in eventually should the game run long enough, even unpopular ones like Dolph. I'm just not sure that's the same for only theoretically important nps like Fado and Hayden. t certainly wouldn't break any rules if one of them did get in, but I just feel like Marth's father Cornelius has a better chance than Fado despite the latter being playable. especially since they've already sort of mechanically did Fado with an Ephraim alt.

The other side of the coin is if we say yes, everyone who's playable if only briefly is to be considered, then that kind of makes the list feel somewhat incomplete, as that covers such a wide swath of characters, someone like Nergal who is a major character and will definitely get into the game some day, is conspicuously missing just because he doesn't come from a game with some kind of bonus playable character feature.

If we were to count any form of playability, there's an argument for counting Nergal for being playable in Awakening. (Which is a different game than he'd be counting for, but it does provide a basis for counting him over less significant bosses.)

Edited by Othin

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

as always, my vote must go to Makalov as soon as he's added to the poll

Added.

9 minutes ago, Opdepov said:

Still waiting for Geitz to be added.

Added.

57 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

@Jotari I guess we will have to wait and see then. If a capturable boss from Fates just happened to be the GHB next time instead of Hans it could shake things up a little.

Axe Armour Garon or Slime Garon are still something they can fall back on as a GHB too.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, GrandeRampel said:

@Jotari I guess we will have to wait and see then. If a capturable boss from Fates just happened to be the GHB next time instead of Hans it could shake things up a little.

(I apologize for the double post, but it won’t let me edit my other post and add a quote)

There are still plenty of GHB options for Fates, though Hans is among the more likely ones due to his prevalence in the game. I’d be surprised if Shura isn’t on the next Fates banner in some way or another, since he’s one of the more popular Fates characters who isn’t in Heroes and he’s story-important. Since he is both a playable character and an antagonist, I’m not sure if he’d be a GHB or regular banner character. I’m leaning towards the former.

I’m almost certain Anankos will be added as a Mythic since he’s one of the only potential Fates Mythic options, whereas there are plenty of potential GHB options. I’d be quite happy to have Candace as a GHB character, or even Funke, Senno or Nichol. Most of the generic bosses in Fates have interesting and memorable designs. Although I’d take Kotaro over any the generic bosses. There aren’t many dagger GHB units, he’s important to the story and also has a cool design. There is also a lack of Bow GHB units, which makes me hopeful about Shura.

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

(I apologize for the double post, but it won’t let me edit my other post and add a quote)

There are still plenty of GHB options for Fates, though Hans is among the more likely ones due to his prevalence in the game. I’d be surprised if Shura isn’t on the next Fates banner in some way or another, since he’s one of the more popular Fates characters who isn’t in Heroes and he’s story-important. Since he is both a playable character and an antagonist, I’m not sure if he’d be a GHB or regular banner character. I’m leaning towards the former.

I’m almost certain Anankos will be added as a Mythic since he’s one of the only potential Fates Mythic options, whereas there are plenty of potential GHB options. I’d be quite happy to have Candace as a GHB character, or even Funke, Senno or Nichol. Most of the generic bosses in Fates have interesting and memorable designs. Although I’d take Kotaro over any the generic bosses. There aren’t many dagger GHB units, he’s important to the story and also has a cool design. There is also a lack of Bow GHB units, which makes me hopeful about Shura.

Shura added.

You're right.  While Fates had a lot of its main cast in the game, it actually has a lot of potential for ghb. Without resorting to generic catupre bosses they could still give us as ghb 

*Hans

*Fallen Gunther 

*Kotaro (who autocorrects into Jotari on my phone)

*Sumeragi

*Anthony

*Gooran

Shura I think will be a banner unit precisely because they have so much ghb units and so few playable characters left.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

You're right.  While Fates had a lot of its main cast in the game, it actually has a lot of potential for ghb. Without resorting to generic catupre bosses they could still give us as ghb 

*Fallen Gunther 

If anything Fallen Gunter would be a GHB unit for a fallen banner, not a Fates one.

Edited by GrandeRampel

7 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Eh, Shura's only the 6th most wanted Fates character currently (based on CYL5 results), behind Dwyer, Scarlet, Mozu, Anankos, and Mitama. That's like a 50/50 chance of him getting in next time.

Anankos, though, might be retired as a character entirely since his Japanese voice actor died.

14 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

If anything Fallen Gunter would be a GHB unit for a fallen banner, not a Fates one.

Maybe but I felt the same way about Arete and she was regular. Speaking if Arete, base Mikoto coukd be a ghb too.

As someone who doesn’t play FEH anymore, I wish they would add Alois. There are very few characters I find as enjoyable as him that aren’t in the game already, so hopefully they’ll give him some love?

2 hours ago, Goddess Serra said:

As someone who doesn’t play FEH anymore, I wish they would add Alois. There are very few characters I find as enjoyable as him that aren’t in the game already, so hopefully they’ll give him some love?

Added (to the poll)

On 1/3/2022 at 3:31 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Matthis.

If you don't vote for Matthis he's going off the poll.

The limbo of Creature Campaign characters bothered me so much I resolved to make a second list of all CYL characters and note who's playable. Which surprisingly isn't all the playable characters in the series, as the Cipher characters aren't included in CYL, which might say something about whether there's any plan to put them in Heroes. Anyway it took like the entire morning to organize this, so I'd appreciate it if a fresh set of eyes could take a look and maybe spot any mistakes I made. I was a bit more lenient for NPC characters being considered in the game. The likes of Young Zephiel, Greil and Rinea I've counted as in despite being seasonals (though I guess Rinea is technically more of a boss than an NPC, though I doubt we'll ever see her boss version as a character given it's just sort of weird and already present with Falled Berkut).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15xCEE3dd2wjXVgzQS6mMWGya_M_tYRYMR5bcMC3qA5Q/edit?usp=sharing

On 1/2/2022 at 4:49 AM, Ouzyxol said:

Despite my mild dislike of Archanea, I still wonder:  whatever happened to Medeus?  He's the big-bad, the origin, the first... So what's up FEH?  6 years in, and he's still nowhere to be seen.  You'd have thought he'd of been added fairly early on, yet... he isn't.  odd.

I think it has a lot to do with old Medeus being the easiest to skip. He's kind of a non entity individually and unlike all the other Archenean villains he didn't go on to inspire any future villain. Medeus lacks a real connection to Marth or any other characters, unlike Gharnef who's (at least theoretically) a more personal adversary, or Camus who's explicitly named as the noble one, or Michalis who has relatives in your ranks. Compared to that Medeus is mostly a plot device who only shows up in the last few seconds of whatever game he's in.

And while every Gharnef takes after Gharnef to some degree, and while every Camus is clearly influenced by the original no dragon antagonists really takes after Medeus. Despite being the most common FE trope the evil dragon actually comes with a lot of variety. Medeus is the evil overlord while his peers are Satan, a breeding slave, Cthulhu or the pope among other things.

So both in terms of narrative or legacy there's not really much to work with. And I suspect that makes him a lot less iconic than Camus or Michalis. 

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think it has a lot to do with old Medeus being the easiest to skip. He's kind of a non entity individually and unlike all the other Archenean villains he didn't go on to inspire any future villain. Medeus lacks a real connection to Marth or any other characters, unlike Gharnef who's (at least theoretically) a more personal adversary, or Camus who's explicitly named as the noble one, or Michalis who has relatives in your ranks. Compared to that Medeus is mostly a plot device who only shows up in the last few seconds of whatever game he's in.

And while every Gharnef takes after Gharnef to some degree, and while every Camus is clearly influenced by the original no dragon antagonists really takes after Medeus. Despite being the most common FE trope the evil dragon actually comes with a lot of variety. Medeus is the evil overlord while his peers are Satan, a breeding slave, Cthulhu or the pope among other things.

So both in terms of narrative or legacy there's not really much to work with. And I suspect that makes him a lot less iconic than Camus or Michalis. 

Still a Dragon though. Which is a good excuse if any to launch with cool art and broken skills. It's not like Medeus is any less exciting than Veld.