Post Time skip Personal Skills Upgrades

DoomRPG

5 hours ago, The Boonsman said:

Personally, if we are gonna be giving upgrades to units personal skills, it should be one that improves their personal skill on a set line, as if they've mastered that defining trait of theirs into a real talent. Either by increasing the power, consistency, or utility of the skill on offer. A few examples running around in my head:

To be sure, I can understand and respect that approach. That said, what if we look at the "upgraded" skills already there? In those cases, it added something totally different from the original skill (i.e. Edelgard gaining +4 Res when waiting has nothing to do with her getting 1.2x experience). My approach was kind of between these poles: I wanted skills that would keep the original effect, while adding a new spin on it. Stuff like Ashe gaining the "Shamir boost" after picking a lock, or Caspar gaining effective crit on top of effective hit against adjacent foes.

That said, these are a lot of fun to consider! Your version of "Philanderer+" may be more compelling than my own. Really sells the image of Sylvain striving to keep a girl on each arm. ...Which kind of undercuts his attempted character development, but never mind all that!

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

To be sure, I can understand and respect that approach. That said, what if we look at the "upgraded" skills already there? In those cases, it added something totally different from the original skill (i.e. Edelgard gaining +4 Res when waiting has nothing to do with her getting 1.2x experience). My approach was kind of between these poles: I wanted skills that would keep the original effect, while adding a new spin on it. Stuff like Ashe gaining the "Shamir boost" after picking a lock, or Caspar gaining effective crit on top of effective hit against adjacent foes.

When it comes to the Lord's Personal Skills, all of them sort of play a role into their class's role, and to a smaller extent personality. Imperial Liniage+ pairs well with a front-line tank, like an Armored lord (Paired with the fact that the class also gives a Res growth boost) at least makes some sense.

Royal Liniage+ grants him that extra evasion, as if he can see the enemy's attack coming at him like it's nothing. This is probably the weakest one from a gameplay perspective but Dimitri's 5 years alone has probably granted him a keen eye for evasion, or at least better reflexes.

Leister Liniage+ Gives pass, which fits well with somebody always planning Schemes and plans, improving Claude's tactical potential. It fits him personally as a character.

My approach was kind of between these poles: I wanted skills that would keep the original effect, while adding a new spin on it. Stuff like Ashe gaining the "Shamir boost" after picking a lock, or Caspar gaining effective crit on top of effective hit against adjacent foes.

Well, generally I think adding extra effects should be something of a rare addition. I think honing in on what made them have a unique niche and expanding on it should grant units more long-term longevity. As for Ashe and Caspar:

Experienced Pickpocket: Unit can steal items if unit has higher Skill then Target. (Grants him a very unique niche, even on higher difficulties to Steal things if possible)

War Cry: Enemies within two spaces suffer -10 Avoid.

That said, these are a lot of fun to consider! Your version of "Philanderer+" may be more compelling than my own. Really sells the image of Sylvain striving to keep a girl on each arm. ...Which kind of undercuts his attempted character development, but never mind all that!

Sylvain can never have enough ladies around him, it seems. This just helps him be a little more open about his tastes, if that's even possible!

1 hour ago, The Boonsman said:

Royal Liniage+ grants him that extra evasion, as if he can see the enemy's attack coming at him like it's nothing. This is probably the weakest one from a gameplay perspective but Dimitri's 5 years alone has probably granted him a keen eye for evasion, or at least better reflexes.

So. Super off topic. But.

+10 evasion is leagues better then +4 res when both are conditional. (And Dimitri's is a fair bit easier to activate imo. Edelgard wants to attack with Aymr.)

For one it helps against far, far more enemies. And is not only easier to stack to insane amounts (Ferdinand's personal is considered excellent for a reason.) but it works offensively and defensively as well.

Edelgard's improved skill requires her to slow down. And I don't believe Crimson Flower has a single defense mission (admittedly Edelgard's rip-off paralogue IS defense. But not the main story.) So its active dis-synergy with her own maps.

CF also has less mages then AM.
So yeah. Edelgard's power is way worst.

28 minutes ago, DoomRPG said:

So. Super off topic. But.

+10 evasion is leagues better then +4 res when both are conditional. (And Dimitri's is a fair bit easier to activate imo. Edelgard wants to attack with Aymr.)

It's actually even more insanely busted then +10. It's +20 Evasion, making it insanely good for dodge tanking and just breaking the game in part 2.

29 minutes ago, DoomRPG said:

So yeah. Edelgard's power is way worst.

Oh agreed. Edelgard's Extra power is significantly less useful then the other skills, it feels almost like a parody of what Dedue's has to offer.

1 hour ago, The Boonsman said:

Oh agreed. Edelgard's Extra power is significantly less useful then the other skills, it feels almost like a parody of what Dedue's has to offer.

Was "This is probably the weakest one from a gameplay perspective " a genuine mistake on your end then? Or did you mean its the weakest justification story wise?

To be honest I agree with your story justification as being pretty valid. Dimitri has far more of a reason to have something of a sixth sense then either Claude or Edelgard.