New Heroes - New Heroes & Ascended Joshua

Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lemmy said:

Does the Japanese name reference Tempest Trials at all?

There is no relationship.

Tempest Trials in Japanese is "戦渦の連戦" (senka no rensen), "Consecutive Battles of the Chaos of War". "戦渦" (senka), "the chaos of war", when deconstructed to the meanings of its constituent characters is written "battle vortex".

The "tempest" in Joshua's canon "Tempest King" epithet is a reference to wind (worth noting that both of Jehanna's Sacred Twins are related to wind), whereas the "tempest" in "Tempest Trials" is a reference to the vortical shape that symbolizes chaos.

Stats and skills [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

mqvjktwwuy981.png

Joshua
Super Asset(s): Atk, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd, Def

Neimi
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP

Rennac
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def, Res

Colm
Super Asset(s): Spd, Def 
Super Flaw(s): none
*Atk/Spd 2 is the 4* unlock.

Riev
Super Asset(s): Spd, Def, Res
Super Flaw(s): none

Kit
Argent Aura: Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1). At start of turn, inflicts Atk/Spd/Def/Res-5 
                       and [Stall] on foes on the enemy team with the lowest Spd and any foes within 2 spaces 
                       of those foes. At start of combat, if foe's HP is greater than or equal to 75%, grants 
                       Atk/Res+6 to unit during combat.
-
Glacies
Atk/Res Ideal 3
-
Savage Blow 3 [4* unlock]

Spoiler

...they gave RIEV a Prf tome with a solid debuffing/in-combat effect but decided not to give jack crap to anyone people actually know???

Is this a good sign for future GHB units? Yen'fay's weapon is also pretty good...

Naga damn!

Spoiler

Fuck me! Riev is not half bad for a free unit. In my opinion, I think he is almost or might be as good as Gunnthrá. I cannot believe I am more excited about a GHB unit than the supposed star of the Focus. I am even tempted to say that he is almost better than freaking Joshua: Resolute Tempest. Like almost-almost. I think Firesweep still holds the edge since you can off load debuffs to a Dancer/Singer, and it is a lot more difficult to offload something like Firesweep.

Spoiler

I'm glad Colm's stats are actually good despite him being the demote. He's pretty much identical to Rennac, but with Def and Res flipped.

Atk/Spd 2 as the 4-star skill is perfect. Time to give that to all of my staff units.

Meanwhile, I have no idea why they gave Neimi Spd/Res Bond at all with those stats other than as an excuse to release the skill. Her Res is higher than New Year Anna's if you consider her weapon effect, but it's still low compared to actual Res tanks like Ronan.

Riev's weapon looks like he's intended to stop armors, given that he targets the unit with the lowest Spd and splashes Stall. Basically a free unit that nullifies Fallen Edelgard's mobility, which is pretty nice. His existence also looks to me like the developers begging players to actually consider Slick Fighter over Crafty Fighter on armors.

If I'm not mistaken, "Argent Aura" looks like the official (new) translation of the GBA-era Aura tome, which was "Argyraurae" in Japanese (similar to Giga Excalibur from the Japanese "Gigascalibur"), given that Riev has the weapon both times he's encountered as a boss.

I'll wait until an official announcement to add the translation note (since the dataminers don't bother with the Japanese text files).

Edited by Ice Dragon

Spoiler

OK, Colm already hits 41 neutral base Spd at 5*+0+0. ...We're at a point where a 3-4* available unit is already getting such stats lmao.

Riev is certainly a good utility unit though in the context of AR and Summoner Duels (and the upcoming Duels R gamemode), he primarily punishes players running Legendary Sigurd, CYL Edelgard, and Fallen Edelgard as those are 2 units that are commonly seen in PvP modes and would likely be among the slowest units in the game. Yuri and CYL Alm aren't likely to be directly affected by Riev unless the player is also running the aforementioned slow units on the same team as them or is somehow running significantly faster units. Pretty solid alternative to Loki, especially since Loki is a 5* exclusive and is also a fodder unit along with Yuri (for those looking to get CDI4 and Time's Pulse). At the very least, those stat debuffs are nothing to scoff at.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Stat comparisons [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

Joshua vs. Volke
41/39/43/29/25/177; +Atk, +Res; -HP, -Spd, -Def
40/41/43/28/25/177; +Atk, +Spd; -HP, -Def, -Res

Joshua vs. Yuri
41/39/43/29/25/177; +Atk, +Res; -HP, -Spd, -Def
40/39/43/26/29/177; +Spd; -HP, -Def

Neimi vs. Louise
39/39/42/21/35/176; +Atk, +Spd; -HP
41/37/42/16/36/172; -HP, -Spd, -Def

Neimi vs. Ronan
39/39/42/21/35/176; +Atk, +Spd; -HP
38/34/40/17/42/171; +HP; -Def

Rennac vs. Julian
39/37/42/34/25/177; +Atk, +Spd; -HP, -Def, -Res
40/38/38/33/18/167; +Atk; -HP, -Res

Colm vs. Ylgr
43/36/41/24/32/176; +Spd, +Def
38/33/38/22/20/151; -HP

Colm vs. Kaze
43/36/41/24/32/176; +Spd, +Def
34/30/36/17/34/151; -Def

Riev vs. Smol Lyon
43/39/25/23/40/170; +Spd, +Def, +Res
38/38/18/34/37/165; +HP, +Atk; -Spd

Riev vs. Solon
43/39/25/23/40/170; +Spd, +Def, +Res
45/38/20/24/38/165; +Def

For those interested, it looks like Mansel and Ismaire now have their first mentions in the character relationship sections of the character introductions for Riev and Joshua, respectively.

I'm also really liking Riev's art. Particularly his face in his damaged art. I also never realized he has shoulder-length hair.

Also, he has some impressive abs for a raisin.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:30 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Argent Aura is "アルジローレ" (arujirōre), "Argyraurae". It appears to be Greek "άργυρος" (árgyros), "silver", plus English or Latin "aurae" (which is derived from Greek). This is the tome localized as "Aura" from the three GBA games. The Aura spell from all other games is called "オーラ" (ōra), "Aura" in Japanese instead. Argent Aura is in the same situation as Giga Excalibur where the weapon is not a "prefixed" version of Aura or Excalibur, respectively, but is instead a completely separate spell.

Now that Riev's skill set has been officially announced, I've added Argent Aura to the translation notes.

"Argyraurae" has always been one of my favorite spell names, and the word itself just looks very aesthetically pleasing to me.