Idea: Pokemon Master Stadium

Lord_Brand

Thanks to a post by Zapp Branniglenn, I got this idea for a new entry in the Pokemon Stadium series, appropriately titled Pokemon Master Stadium.

Like its N64 predecessors, Pokemon Master Stadium features Pokemon League campaigns, rental Pokemon, minigames, and even Mystery Gift.

• Pokemon Master Stadium covers all eight present generations of Pokemon, including regional variants such as Alolan Vulpix and Galarian Ponyta.
  • Every region's Pokemon League is fully represented here, from Kanto all the way to Galar.
  • Rental Pokemon are a bit better; they don't have EVs and only average IVs, but their movepools are much better, providing adequate type coverage and allowing you to take advantage of many different strategies. Weaker, unevolved Pokemon still have better moves to compensate for their lower stats.
  • The Level Adjuster allows you to temporarily lower your Pokemon's levels and thus stats in order to compete in lower-level cups.
  • Your trainer is customizable. Age, race, gender, clothing, etc.
  • Many beloved series features such as Mega Evolution and Pokemon-Amie return.
  • Some Pokemon get Mega Evolutions for the first time.
  • The Move Tutor allows you to teach Pokemon you own moves they can't learn any other way. They can also help your Pokemon relearn moves they once knew.
  • In addition to all the classic minigames, a ton of new minigames are included, focusing on different generations of Pokemon. It's a Pokemon Party!
Edited by Lord_Brand

lol "just got this idea" huh? While two of us are talking about Pokemon Stadium in the other thread. Right. Does it HAVE to have New in the title?

Pokemon Stadium was cool because it came out at a time where multiplayer still required physicals peripherals and concepts like the Battle Frontier didn't yet exist (not until Crystal anyway, and Crystal released after Stadium 2 for the US). A lot of what the Stadium modes accomplish can be put into the main series as a really extensive Battle Frontier in the post game. The ability to play your main series games on the big tv screen is also not a factor since main series games have finally made it to the big screen on their own. So if they had a Pokemon Stadium 3, it would just be a sixty dollar "Post Game DLC" for the current gen titles, plus some minigames. Pokemon fans have bought worse things in the past, but I'd still make fun of it.

Incidentally, an official version of Pokemon Showdown would probably sell pretty well, especially if it was reasonably priced and let you use all past gen pokemon, forms, and items. And connected directly to your Pokemon Bank. Bank is still a thing right? 

Well, this is quite the wish list! I'd love to see this kind of game happen, but I honestly have my doubts about whether any developer is up to the challenge.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Your trainer is customizable. Age, race, gender, clothing, etc.

Maybe playing more could provide money, which you use to buy more clothing, accessory, hairstyle, hair color, and makeup otions? It'd be neat to see outfit sets based on prior classes, like a "Bug Catcher" set, or a "Hex Maniac" outfit.

The Level Adjuster allows you to temporarily lower your Pokemon's levels and thus stats in order to compete in lower-level cups.

Rather than adjusting levels, I'd introduce a "tiering" system:

Poké Tier includes most first-stage Mons (i.e. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), and a handful of evolutions (i.e. Metapod, Kakuna);

Great Tier has most middle evolutions (i.e. Nidorino, Haunter), plus some first-stages (i.e. Ponyta, Tangela) or non-evolvers (i.e. Farfetch'd).

Ultra Tier has most fully-evolved Mons (i.e. Arcanine, Gyarados, Exeggcutor), and remaining first-stages (i.e. Scyther) and non-evolvers (i.e. Kangaskhan, Aerodactyl).

Master Tier includes pseudo-legendaries (i.e. Dragonite), proper legendaries (i.e. Mewtwo), Mythicals (i.e. Mew), and Megas (i.e. Mega Alakazam).

You can use Mons in a "weaker tier" in a battle, but not vice-versa. So, I could bring (Ultra-tier) Snorlax to a Master-tier battle, but I couldn't bring (Master-tier) Mega Gengar to an Ultra-Tier battle.

3 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

New Pokemon Stadium covers all eight present generations of Pokemon, including regional variants such as Alolan Vulpix and Galarian Ponyta.

I'd do a couple things - first, limit the pool of Pokemon available to the player at the start, but then widen it as they progress. For instance, beating Brock in a "Gym Leader's challenge" could unlock Onix. And after facing a foe online, you can choose any one of their Mons that you don't have yet, and "unlock" it. There could even be different variants of the same Mon (i.e. Choice Band Flash Fire Flareon, Toxic Orb Guts Flareon).

Now, when you're building a team on your spare time, you can browse through all the Mons at your disposal. You can save as many as, let's say, 50 teams constructed this way. But let's say you're building a team from scratch, and you're in a hurry to do battle. In that case, I'd limit the selection to a box of 30 randomly-selected appropriate-tier Mons, to save the player from "analysis paralysis". Going one step further, an "autofill" button could populate the not-yet-filled team slots with randomly selected Mons.

24 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Incidentally, an official version of Pokemon Showdown would probably sell pretty well, especially if it was reasonably priced and let you use all past gen pokemon, forms, and items. And connected directly to your Pokemon Bank. Bank is still a thing right? 

Perhaps such a game could include a "workshop", where you construct custom versions of rental Pokemon, choosing components like Ability, Nature, Moveset, and Held Item? Then you could assign them to the homemade team of your choosing.

Oh, and I forgot the most important reform: getting rid of the 20-minute running battle timer. Kill it with Fire Blast. Random online matchups could use a chess timer, like VGC or Battle Spot Singles. And for play between friends, the host player should be able to set the clock however they wish (or not even have a clock altogether).

29 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

lol "just got this idea" huh? While two of us are talking about Pokemon Stadium in the other thread. Right. Does it HAVE to have New in the title?

Not a fan of that either. Maybe "Pokemon Emporium"? Or how about "Pokemon Championship"?

2 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Indeed, one of your recent posts is what inspired this topic.

I was following the trend set by "New Pokemon Snap". It's been too long to number the sequel (without rereleasing the old games as a remaster plus or something), but it can serve as a sort of soft reboot.

How about Pokemon Stadium: New Generation?

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'd do a couple things - first, limit the pool of Pokemon available to the player at the start, but then widen it as they progress. For instance, beating Brock in a "Gym Leader's challenge" could unlock Onix. And after facing a foe online, you can choose any one of their Mons that you don't have yet, and "unlock" it. There could even be different variants of the same Mon (i.e. Choice Band Flash Fire Flareon, Toxic Orb Guts Flareon).

Now, when you're building a team on your spare time, you can browse through all the Mons at your disposal. You can save as many as, let's say, 50 teams constructed this way. But let's say you're building a team from scratch, and you're in a hurry to do battle. In that case, I'd limit the selection to a box of 30 randomly-selected appropriate-tier Mons, to save the player from "analysis paralysis". Going one step further, an "autofill" button could populate the not-yet-filled team slots with randomly selected Mons.

I like that idea! Makes building a team early on easy while allowing a more experienced player more strategy later. You can start off with, say, the Starters of each gen plus a few good early picks like Pikachu and Riolu. But if higher evolutions are locked from the start, they should also come with better moves.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I like that idea! Makes building a team early on easy while allowing a more experienced player more strategy later. You can start off with, say, the Starters of each gen plus a few good early picks like Pikachu and Riolu. But if higher evolutions are locked from the start, they should also come with better moves.

I wouldn't lock higher evolutions from the start, since I think there should be a way to play Ultra-tier right out the gate. That said, I wouldn't make all the Starter lines available right away, either. Hm... how about a starting pool like:

Poke: Pikachu, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Pichu, Ralts, Duskull, Riolu, Venipede, Fletchling, Jangmo-o, Impidimp

Great: Onix, Bayleef, Quilava, Croconaw, Kirlia, Dusclops, Audino, Whirlipede, Cryogonal, Fletchinder, Hakamo-o, Morgrem

Ultra: Raichu, Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Steelix, Gardevoir, Dusknoir, Gallade, Lucario, Scolipede, Talonflame, Raichu-A, Grimmsnarl

Master: M-Steelix, Suicune, Raikou, Entei, M-Gardevoir, M-Gallade, M-Lucario, M-Audino, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Kommo-o

Honestly, the starting pool would probably be wider than this. Just trying to create a "starting pool" that runs through all the types and generations.

23 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

That could work. Maybe "Return to Pokemon Stadium"?

• 1 month later...

How about Pokemon Master Stadium? I like that, I'll change the title accordingly. Although, the acronym might be a little problematic...

What if there are different unlockable movesets for rental Pokemon? You have full evolution lines available from the get-go, but their better moves have to be unlocked. Or higher evolutions only get their best moves in higher difficulties.

Edited by Lord_Brand

On 2/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Lord_Brand said:

How about Pokemon Master Stadium? I like that, I'll change the title accordingly. Although, the acronym might be a little problematic...

I think it's slightly better, although it risks confusion with their mobile game, Pokemon Masters Ex. #pokemonmastersex

Didn't even think of the acronym until you mentioned it. Only slightly worse than the Wii game that went by PBR.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Lord_Brand said:

What if there are different unlockable movesets for rental Pokemon? You have full evolution lines available from the get-go, but their better moves have to be unlocked. Or higher evolutions only get their best moves in higher difficulties.

I like the idea of unlocking new builds/movesets for a given Pokemon! Either by way of facing an opponent with said build, or by using the original build of that Pokemon enough times. Personally, though, I'd like them all to be viable at some competetive level - so, not running around with Water Gun when Surf is available. You could still have different sets, of course. Let's consider Feraligatr:

- Mystic Water; Neutral; Torrent; Surf, Rain Dance, Agility, Aqua Jet

- Choice Band; Adamant; Torrent; Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw, Low Kick, Earthquake

- Life Orb; Jolly; Sheer Force; Dragon Dance, Liquidation, Crunch, Ice Punch

- Wacan Berry; Timid; Sheer Force; Scald, Agility, Ice Beam, Focus Blast

- Chesto Berry; Impish; Sheer Force; Waterfall, Crunch, Rest, Sleep Talk

In this case, you start with the first one, but the others are unlocked as you play the game. These could coexist with a "Workshop" setting, where you can build your own sets, selecting Nature, moveset, and held items. Workshop Pokemon can't be used in Rental Battles or the main campaign, but they can be used in online battles, or battles with friends.

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think it's slightly better, although it risks confusion with their mobile game, Pokemon Masters Ex. #pokemonmastersex

Didn't even think of the acronym until you mentioned it. Only slightly worse than the Wii game that went by PBR.

PBR seems to be a common acronym. Which use of it are you alluding to?

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I like the idea of unlocking new builds/movesets for a given Pokemon! Either by way of facing an opponent with said build, or by using the original build of that Pokemon enough times. Personally, though, I'd like them all to be viable at some competetive level - so, not running around with Water Gun when Surf is available. You could still have different sets, of course.

Held items as part of a build? Interesting idea. I think it'd be fun to let players experiment with Held Items on their Rental teams; basically, you can put any Hold Item on any Rental Pokemon (with the possible stipulation that some are unlockable).

I'm also thinking about what kinds of fun minigames they could add, and ways in which they could expand on the originals. Some examples:

• Dig! Dig! Dig! could include Sandslash and the Alolan variants of Sandshrew and Sandslash, among other Pokemon.
  • Rock Harden could now include many of the other cocoon Pokemon that have since been added to the series, like Silcoon and Cascoon. Or just consult a list of Pokemon that learn Harden.
  • Sushi-go-Round could now include Lickilicky as an alternative to Lickitung.
  • Thundering Dynamo and Pichu's Power Plant could vastly expand the range of Electric-type Pokemon that are playable, like Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, Togedemaru, and of course Morpeko.
  • Topsy-Turvy could include other Pokemon suited for spinning like tops using Rapid Spin as an indicator, like Baltoy, Claydol, and Steenee.

As for ideas of new minigames:

• Water Gun Gallery: Pokemon like Squirtle, Marill, and Octillery try to hit targets using Water Gun. Some targets are stationary, while others are mobile.
  • Rock Smash Rumble: Strong Pokemon like Machoke and Machamp try to smash as many rocks as possible within the time limit. Time the hits using a metronome to smash the rocks as quickly as possible.

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

PBR seems to be a common acronym. Which use of it are you alluding to?

My immediate association was with the beer, Pabst Blue Ribbon. Of course, three-letter acronyms pretty much always refer to more than one thing.

Held items as part of a build? Interesting idea. I think it'd be fun to let players experiment with Held Items on their Rental teams; basically, you can put any Hold Item on any Rental Pokemon (with the possible stipulation that some are unlockable).

Basically the idea for rental builds is that they'd be ready to go, and use, right out the gate. We don't want people taking a long time getting their team figured out and leaving their opponent waiting, after all. Of course, in the "Workshop" environment, you'd be free to pick whichever item you think works best on a set.

I'm also thinking about what kinds of fun minigames they could add, and ways in which they could expand on the originals. Some examples:

I like these suggested changes! If they bring back "Rattata Run", then maybe the Alolan variant could show up as well?

Here's a new minigame idea: Wishiwashi Wonder. You start as a single Wishiwashi, and shake the Joy-Con to attract others to your side. But be careful - when Sharpedo shows up, it can destroy all your progress! The goal is to be the first to assemble a full "Schooling Form", or else be the closest when time runs out. It's essentially a variant of "Red Light, Green Light".

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Basically the idea for rental builds is that they'd be ready to go, and use, right out the gate. We don't want people taking a long time getting their team figured out and leaving their opponent waiting, after all. Of course, in the "Workshop" environment, you'd be free to pick whichever item you think works best on a set.

It would probably be a good idea if the game had players create their team before entering the online waiting room. And once they're in the waiting room, they can't change their team unless they back out before a match is chosen.

I like these suggested changes! If they bring back "Rattata Run", then maybe the Alolan variant could show up as well?

Thanks! Yeah, regional variants would generally be included in minigames that feature the originals. Maybe Vulpix and the Alolan variant could join Eevee in Eager Eevee? ALong with Fennekin, Zorua, Nickit (ooh, that'd be a good one!)

Here's a new minigame idea: Wishiwashi Wonder. You start as a single Wishiwashi, and shake the Joy-Con to attract others to your side. But be careful - when Sharpedo shows up, it can destroy all your progress! The goal is to be the first to assemble a full "Schooling Form", or else be the closest when time runs out. It's essentially a variant of "Red Light, Green Light".

Clever!

I've got another: Titanic Tussle, where giant kaiju-like Pokemon battle each other using a rock-paper-scissors style dynamic with a twist: you have to input all three moves in a sequence, which your Pokemon will then perform (like "rock-scissors-paper" or "scissors-rock-paper"). Each winning move deals damage to opponents with losing moves (and each of the three moves deals a different amount!). Each draw results in half damage being dealt to all involved parties. The last titan standing wins!

I'm thinking of something involving Ghost-types, but I'm not sure whether you'd be playing Pokemon trying to avoid the ghosts or playing the ghosts themselves trying to scare other Pokemon.

Given how Mario Party-feeling these minigames are, they need to just make Pokemon Party a thing already.

It would probably be a good idea if the game had players create their team before entering the online waiting room. And once they're in the waiting room, they can't change their team unless they back out before a match is chosen.

I'm thinking more of in person battles, where you and your friend have just booted up the game. Likewise, I would probably give each player 30 Mons, selected at random from those available, to build a team from. So that way, each player has choices, without having so many that they get overwhelmed and wind up taking half an hour to teambuild.

As for online battles, I see two "leagues", essentially: a Rental League, and a Custom League. For the Rental League, you can assemble your team ahead of time among all Rental Mons you've acquired. So it's limiting, but the builds can be balanced against one another. For the Custom League, you can totally assemble your team from scratch in the Workshop. So it takes more effort, and can produce sets of wildly varying viability, but the options are as wide-ranging as a setting like Showdown!.

I've got another: Titanic Tussle, where giant kaiju-like Pokemon battle each other using a rock-paper-scissors style dynamic with a twist: you have to input all three moves in a sequence, which your Pokemon will then perform (like "rock-scissors-paper" or "scissors-rock-paper"). Each winning move deals damage to opponents with losing moves (and each of the three moves deals a different amount!). Each draw results in half damage being dealt to all involved parties. The last titan standing wins!

I like this one! Maybe they could be "Grass, Water, Fire" moves, since that's the best-known "Rock, Paper, Scissors" relationship in the games?

I'm thinking of something involving Ghost-types, but I'm not sure whether you'd be playing Pokemon trying to avoid the ghosts or playing the ghosts themselves trying to scare other Pokemon.

Maybe something like the Luigi's Mansion minigame in Nintendo Land. One player controls a ghost on the Game Pad, and tries to sneak up on other players. The other players try using their flashlight to damage the ghost. Controlling the ghost might not work without the game pad, but the other players could still try to shine a light on a CPU ghost. The Ghost could be something like Haunter or Bannette, while the other Mons could be those with light powers, like Flaafy or Volbeat.

20 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I like this one! Maybe they could be "Grass, Water, Fire" moves, since that's the best-known "Rock, Paper, Scissors" relationship in the games?

I was thinking more along the lines of "rush > breath > grapple", where the titans either rush their opponent (staying low so as to avoid breath attacks), fire breath weapons from their mouths (like Flamethrower from Charizard or Hyper Beam from Dragonite), or grapple rushing opponents. When drawing, rushing opponents knock into each other, breath users cause a blast between them, and grapplers wrestle each other to a standstill.

As a cute touch, the city in which the battle takes place could be props, suggesting that the "titans" are in fact normal-sized and performing for a film shoot.

20 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Maybe something like the Luigi's Mansion minigame in Nintendo Land. One player controls a ghost on the Game Pad, and tries to sneak up on other players. The other players try using their flashlight to damage the ghost. Controlling the ghost might not work without the game pad, but the other players could still try to shine a light on a CPU ghost. The Ghost could be something like Haunter or Bannette, while the other Mons could be those with light powers, like Flaafy or Volbeat.

That would have worked pretty well on the Wii U! An asymmetric minigame is also rather novel, given that all Stadium minigames thus far have had all players on equal footing. Again, Pokemon Party needs to become a thing.

Edited by Lord_Brand