Gaming Resolutions: 2022 Edition

Hello, dwellers of the Forest! Around the start of last year, I posted a "Gaming Resolutions" thread. The idea was to talk about what you wanted to accomplish in the year ahead, within the world of gaming. Something more fun than resolving to jog more and eat less, right? Well, a new year marks a new year, and a new chance to make resolutions you might not live up to! Without further Dedue, here are some of mine:

1. Complete Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. I just got this one for Christmas, but I've already dived right in. In fact, I just made it to what I believe to be the final world. I'd like to get all the Stamps and Green Stars, too - it certainly seems within reason. Of course, this is a two-part resolution - some time after finishing the main campaign, I'll take on Bowser's Fury as well. I've been having a lot of fun with the main game, so I don't anticipate either side of this resolution being a problem.

2. Play every stage in Pokemon Snap. I don't necessarily expect to 100% the game, or even get to see every Pokemon. But I'd like to at least play through each stage once. I've dipped my toes into the game thus far, but there's a whole lot more I could be experiencing in it.

3. Finish my Three Houses playthrough on Golden Deer Maddening NG. I got distracted from this one late last year, but I'd like to see it through. There are only a few chapters left to go, but in 3H, each one can take a while. I love to "theorycraft" builds in 3H, but putting it into practice is another story. Still, I'd like to beat Maddening NG, if for nothing else than bragging rights.

4. Play, and complete, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. I finished Spirit of Justice in the last few hours of 2021, thus completing the main series of Ace Attorney games. But now the pair of pre-prequels have made the jump from Japanese 3DSs to consoles worldwide. This one's another two-parter, and I'll probably take a break between the first and second half, if not between each case. But I've heard good things about it, and definitely want to get up-to-date on the series after nearly a decade of lagging.

5. Finish my Genealogy of the Holy War playthrough. This was another one I started last year. I'd beaten Genealogy twice before, both times in English, but this has been my first time playing the game on-console, in Japanese. I know enough Katakana to at least recognize the proper nouns. Anyway, I only made it as far as the start of chapter 5, but I'd like to bring it to its proper conclusion.

6. Play, and beat, Thracia 776. This game is one I've started, but never finished. The original playthrough is long gone by now, but I'm willing to start from scratch. I'm watched Mekkah play the "Li'l Manster" patch, derived from the Project Exile translation, so that's probably the one I'll use. I want to finish this, to have a more complete view of the series.

7. Purchase, and play through (at least once), Triangle StrategyThis is probably my most anticipated release of the year right now, and something I've been looking forward to ever since I played the demo. Come to think of it, I should probably wrap up Three Houses before this makes its way onto shelves. Given the "your choices really matter" model, I know a single playthrough won't be enough to experience all that's there, but I don't necessarily need all the content right away.

8. Purchase, and play through, AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES: nirvanA Initiative. I played the first game in this series, and was really impressed by it. I'd appreciated Kotaro Uchikoshi's "Zero Escape" trilogy, and this game combined his writing with Yusuke Kozaki's (see: Fateswakening) character design. The release is still only loosely scheduled for "Spring 2022", so fulfilling this resolution will be contingent on the game... actually coming out.

9. Beat Deltarune: Chapters 1 & 2. It's out, it's on my Switch, I just haven't finished it. I started Chapter 1 back in the day, but never finished it, and then Chapter 2 came out on top of it. No idea whether I'll pay for the complete experience when it comes out, but I'm not gonna look the gift horse in the bush for two in the mouth. Anyway, I want to understand all the jokes and memes surrounding it, so there.

10. Purchase, and play, a totally novel gaming experience. Something in a series that's totally new to me. I had this one up last year, and vague as it was, it encouraged me to "branch out" into games I might not have tried otherwise, like Jenny LeClue and Not Tonight.

So, there! How do these sound - too ambitious, or eminently achievable? And what are your own gaming resolutions for the year ahead? Leave a comment below!

Here are my gaming resolutions for 2022:

1. That I'm able to dial back on how many games I'm playing without giving up on video games entirely. The last bit of last year saw me playing a huge number of different games thanks to me taking a much-needed break after the stresses of various things that were happening (graduating university, moving, etc.), but now that's over so I'm not going to have that time, so my resolution is to manage my time so that I still have time for games without it taking time away from everything else I need to do.

Now, in terms of games specifically, there are games that I've started playing and that I want to finish, and games that'll be released in 2022 that I hope to play:

Games That I want to Finish:

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I recently finished my first Verdant Wind playthrough of Three Houses and my second playthrough of the game overall. That's two routes down and two to go, and I recently began an Azure Moon playthrough. I intend to, at the very least, finish that Azure Moon playthrough, and ideally finish that and a Silver Snow route.

2. Metroid Prime Trilogy. I recently purchased this for my Wii U, I've beaten Prime 1, and now I'm playing Prime 2. I hope to finish all three games in the trilogy and hopefully 100% complete them.

Games That I want to Purchase & Play:

1. Breath of the Wild 2. This is of course assuming that the game will release in 2022.

2. Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur King. I played the first Blossom Tales game, and it was quite fun. It was a flawed Zelda clone, but it had plenty of charm to it and it was fun to play, and the sequel looks like it will be a big improvement, so I'm hoping to play it.

3. Pokémon Legends Arceus. I haven't played Pokémon since gen 7; completely skipping Sword & Shield in part because, as much as I was looking forward to a Pokémon game set in the UK, the obvious signs of rush and the game missing a lot of what I found interesting about Pokémon. Legends Arceus looks like a serious step in the right direction and a fresh take that the series has badly needed. I'll probably wait until after reviews to actually play the game, but I will probably end up getting it.

4. Triangle Strategy (maybe). I'm torn on the game; the tactical gameplay looks really promising, but the three-way moral choice system looks like it could easily end up overcomplicating things. Plus, I missed the opportunity to play the demo. Still, if the game ends up being good, then I do want to try it.

Edited by vanguard333

Most of these aren't so much resolutions as "ideas of things that I might get to at some point if I don't get distracted by anything else". I absolutely 100% do not expect to get anywhere close to finishing all of these, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

1. Finish my currently ongoing XCOM 2 replaythrough. May as well start with an absolute gimme so I don't end up with a 0% success rate at the end of the year.
  2. Play Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade. May as well do some Fire Emblem resolutions, and this is a good place to start. It's the only main series FE game with an English language release that I've yet to complete. (Unless you count the Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light limited rerelease, which I don't.)
  3. Replay the Cindered Shadows DLC for FE:TH. I enjoyed this one, and am very curious to go back and revisit it now that I am better at the game than I was when I first played.
  4. Give FE: Fates another try. It's not a secret that I didn't really care for Fates, but I am thinking maybe I should give it one more try to see if I can manage to find the fun.
  5. Play more games than I buy. I already own a ton of really good games. Some of them I never got around to playing, some I bounced off quickly before really giving them a fair shake, and some I would like to replay. I want to try to maximise how many of these I play, while minimising how many I buy but then don't get around to playing properly.
  6. Replay Endless Ocean and/or Endless Ocean 2: Let's be a little more specific with one particular series that I've been meaning to replay for a while now.
  7. Play more co-op games with friends. I really enjoy co-op games, but rarely play them. I should make more of an effort to do so.
  8. Buy and play the rest of the Life is Strange series. I played the original when it first came out and loved it. Then I completely forgot about the series until I recently bought True Colors and loved that too. I want to go back and pick up the rest of the series that I skipped over, since I'll likely end up loving them too.
  9. Buy and play the following games: Crusader Kings 3, Horizon Zero Dawn. These are two games that I've been telling myself for a while that I really must play them, but never have. Maybe this year will be the year.
  10. Keep an eye on the following yet-to-be-released games: Triangle Strategy, Advance Wars Re-boot Camp, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Victoria 3, Baldur's Gate 3. That doesn't necessarily mean that I will play them, but at the very least, I want to read their reviews to decide whether they're games that I want to buy.
  11. Play at least one game that is outside my comfort zone. I like this as an idea, so I am stealing it.
  12. Speedrun at least one game. Competence and talent not required. Just giving it a go.
  13. Do something related to game creation. This could be a mod, a fangame, a text adventure in Twine, a complete game written from the ground up, whatever. And I'm also not necessarily expecting to finish it, though that would depend very much on how ambitious a project I decide to go for. But something.
  14. Write at least one piece of fan fiction for a video game. Writing is fun. I should write more. Video game fanfic is a (relatively) low effort, low stakes way to get back into it.
  15. Don't touch any game that has NFTs in it. And let's finish off with another gimme as well.
  16. 100% Stardew Valley. Except not actually finishing off because I thought of another one to add. Specifically, I want to get the Statue of True Perfection and to pick up the Fector's Challenge achievement.
Edited by lenticular
thought of another one to add

2021 Games to Finish

Tales of Arise (just reached Lenegis) (done)

Persona 5 Strikers (done)

Guardians of the Galaxy (done)

Scarlet Nexus (done)

Shin Megami Tensei V (done)

2022 Games to Buy

Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons (done)

Triangle Strategy (done)

Gotham Knights Edit: Going to buy on discount, due to them locking my Beyond skins behind a $90 edition.

Suicide Squad Edit: Delayed to 2023. 

Touken Ranbu Musou (at deep discount). Edit: This one is very not good, and Three Hopes was announced after. So I won't be buying it.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (done)

Other

100% Complete FE Warriors History Mode (done)

100% Complete One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (not done) and/or 4 (done)

Finish Tales of Berseria

Langrisser II Remake

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

quoting Sora in KH3: "hahah, there's so many..."

1. play and complete every game i've bought in 2021, with Bloodborne, Blasphemous and Persona 5 Royal having priority over anything else ("anything else" being FFXII, Collection of SaGa, Romancing SaGa 1, 2 and 3, SaGa Frontier 1 and 2, SaGa: Scarlet Grace, Rise Eterna, Mercenaries Saga Chronicles and Mercenaries Wings)
2. buy and complete Bravely Default 2
3. buy and complete Elden Ring
4. buy and complete Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, but only after i've read the whole manga (which i already own)
5. buy and complete (once again) Trails from Zero
6. get into the Megami Tensei and Persona series
7. try and save some money in order to get a decent gaming PC (which is in complete contrast with what's written above)

Edited by Yexin

I have only a few, since the past few years my goals were pretty outrageous and rarely were completed in the original order, if they were completed at all. 

1. Play Pokemon Legends Arceus (it's one of the few games I plan on buying this year, alongside Rune Factory 5)

2. Hopefully beat Dark Deity

3. Kickstart a game

4. Play a game from a franchise I haven't played before. Right now that's looking to be something like Coral Island or possibly Sakura Wars for the PS4. 

5. Start saving up for a PS5 in 2023