Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 2: What Once Was is Once More

Nanami Touko

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marina and the others move towards the approaching... things, and on their approach, the unknown entity fired at them with two large arrows, whizzing by Lavinia and Gabriela. If there was any doubt that these things were here to make sure that they weren't leaving alive, there wasn't now. Lucille pointed her hand towards the aggressor, knowing that she could get close enough to engage. But she couldn't quite calm the worry about Villkiss, and having to potentially avoid a counter attack from that bow, not to mention she had no idea if this was the only threat to worry about. She'd have to leave this one to the others, and Gabriela hadn't hesitated for a moment. 

Said you'd do what you could, but you can't even bring yourself to do this, huh? Really not helping anyone out like this, are you? Lucille shook her head, just another notch on the building frustration of today. She'd just have to watch everyone else's back while they actually did the fighting. Perhaps the crow was right to be doubtful of how much she could have actually helped. She wordlessly brought herself up behind the others simmering all the while over her seeming uselessness in the moment. 

Lucille to 46, 42!

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

"Vaia. Hwein. Hmm..." Hecate, acknowledging Thesephine's and Suki's respones, seemed lost in thought. Her eyes quickly lost focus, tracing down to the floor again... its face made something close to a frown. "No... no idea." Emulating a sigh, it looked back at Thesephine. "Need to remember..." It seemed a bit more comfortable with the situation, attempting to move its legs again. One leg forward, then the other.

Struggling to keep balance, it stood up from its seat. "How did, you get here?" Hecate seemed to slowly become more aware, finally acknowledging the surroundings with its eyes.

When the golem came into view Susan cursed softly beneath her breath. "It was too much to hope that Hecate's dolls were ruined by the sands..."

Then, after a quick appraisal of this particular specimen, she shook her head and addressed the others nearby.

"Sollowy, Nisha, I'll do what I can you enhance your strength and aim, but that doll has a barrier that would make directly casting magic at it rather painful. Despite that, the close range of its knife would suggest that taking care of it from afar is still the safer course, and with your bows, well..." A pause and a look to the horned man behind her, she shrugged and added. "I'll include you as well, Ren, since I'm not sure if those are thrown spears or not. A little less obvious than with some weapons." Then she began to tap into one of the lesser powers afforded her as a magi, making good on her promise.

Susan Rally Heart

As expected, the construct's magic hit back quite hard on Ilvira as well. She was used to dealing with little spots of trouble all over, not fighting powerful combat mages directly! On the other hand, now that Ayane was determined to strike back, she certainly made short work of the opponent, quickly finishing what the tall elf had started. "Well, I must say your swordsmanship is quite impressive-- and off she ventures again. I should follow, regardless." Her praise cut short by the oni just going out of the room, Ilvira went quiet and took a second to check her other sword. I may have been afforded a chance, but this chance had worn slim to begin with. I pray we discover a way out posthaste...

Their situation wouldn't be made better by dawdling, however, and she soon made good on her words. A sip of vulnerary would help in the short term, at the very least.

Ilvira moves to 32-18 and takes a drink.

Lowering the flask had her see something unexpected, blinking a few times to make sure she wasn't seeing things. Her curiosity had been on who Ayane was, so she hadn't thought to ask, but how could she have not asked about her company, especially when it was... "Is that the Demon King herself I see? My, I must be quite more fortunate than even my first impression!" Ilvira's concern was loudly swept to the back of her mind once more by this revelation, certainly having seen Thesephine depicted and described many a time, though never having met the short sovereign in person before now. As far as she understood, this was the one person she should only show her absolute best to.

It seemed something of an objective fact in this situation that it was better to be away from these things rather than in a convenient place to be hit by them. It would be foolish to stay near that one, half-active as it still was...

Seilan to 6, 34.

Edited by mcd900

Jade smiled and reached down to help Seilan up. "Strange situation we find ourselves in here, huh. Anyway, I guess we're heading toward that next glyph on the floor?" She begins driving her cart in that direction, coming up between the pair of succubi.

As she drew near, a sudden thought took her. "Hmm, there were sounds of another one around the corner right? And I don't suppose you'd do your best casting from here in the wagon would you... One of you two mind helping him back to solid ground? Nashwa, Nessraya?"

Jade rescues Seilan, moves to 4,39

Edited by Balcerzak

Nashwa was ready to just keep moving, but Nessraya seemed to have other ideas, making the younger succubus stop and turn back to her mentor of sorts. "Huh? Something, for me?" She took a quick few steps back where she came from, dodging Jade who had just carted in between them, now face to face with the general, though taking a second to reply to the zombie. "Gimme a moment, I can handle that."

She looked at the item Nessraya was holding, glancing back up at her, slinging the shotgun away for a second. "Are you sure you wouldn't need it yourself more?" A quick shake of the head. No, Nashwa, that's not what you're supposed to say when someone's trying to help you! "I-I mean, thank you." Without any more than that, she hastily took it and slipped it over her right glove. There was something else she needed to do and all, twirling around to grab Seilan and set him down. "Is your hearing that good, or was I just spacing out? ...No, you're right, I can just about hear something from that direction." That hard slash across her body sure hurt her mental state as hard as it hurt physically, even if it had been brief thanks to Nessraya's healing.

Nashwa moves to 4-38, trades the Mage Band from Nessraya, equips it, takes Seilan from Jade and drops him on 5-38.

"A, Ah, okay-- Wait, who are you?" Sollowy paused for moment before deciding that it didn't really matter who this woman was at the moment so long as she was on their side. Her instructions were sound enough that there wasn't a point in questioning them, either.

Sollowy to 2-11, iron bow construct.

"Hahh, hahh... And stay down you--" Before Tundyssa could even finish her taunt the construct that she'd previously beaten down was now back on it's feet, with some worrying information coming from it's loose tongue. "I'm doing fine, Tenna, but I think we have a problem here! I can't fight forever and it sounds like these things are just going to keep getting back up! After I take it down again, we need to escape!" As she ran back to the other construct she felt the need to draw Requiem over using her gauntlets. The construct had said it was better at functioning so it wouldn't hurt to bring out her trump card!

Xalrei to 12,11 attack Contruct 8 with Requiem. 

Ember didn't pay much attention to the construct Jade had left in the corner, a mistake, as she approached the door. "Well, there isn't going to be a key around here, so--!"

Ember to 10,38 punch door.

Hhmm. The human is at least somewhat competent... Xetketh noted to herself as she watched Agni violently cut into, and then down, the construct with his dagger. "If it's going to repair itself why not just destroy it?" She asked as she moved up to the beaten construct. "It's well within my capabilities to do so. You stand in the presence of Dark Magic's founder, after all! Allow me to demonstrate, though I'll make no promises about your safety~" Xetketh began to cast her spell, arms going through the motions with ease. "O Darkness, heed my command! Surge forth, grow and devour! Render unto me the power to reduce this world to dust! Gespenst!" However, for Agni and Asami, nothing seemed to happen. The ground did not tremble, nor did any magic manifest. For Xetketh, her magic had swelled as it should, but as it moved through her core it fell flat, stopped, and died.

"Wh-What..." A rare look of mortification and bewilderment was plastered on the Beholder's face, her stalks going through the various stages of grief; the majority of them currently on anger. "What's happened to me!? My magic, what happened to my magic!?" With a glare she turned to Asami. "Explain what's going on this instant!"

Xetketh to 29,4 have an existential crisis.

Gabriela flies over and crashes light magic into the construct!
Roll1: 41,98(59)
11 damage
Roll2: 67,9(18)
Critical!
33 damage!
"Hecate is-- Ghghrhrhfzhznghgn..."
The construct is cut short by the powerful blast!
Gabriela gains +37 exp, +3 light wexp!
Level up!
Level 14

18	30	21	87	90	38	35	12

+HP/Mag/Def/Res

Ayane Vulns herself
+10 hp

Susan rallies heart! The irony!

llvira vulns herself
+10 hp

Seilan scoots up
Then it scooped up
as Jade scoots further, to 4,39

Nash takes the mage band and drops the man off

Xalrei rushes forward and stabs the construct!
Hrmmm!?
Requiem suddenly echoed in her mind!
Xalrei, what is this being's magic...!?
Roll1: 69,39
18 damage!
"Repairs finishes, course corrected. Attacking."
Roll: 35,18
Hit!
14 damage!
Tundyssa becomes tempered!
Roll2: 11,29
Critical!
60 damage!
Tundyssa gains +17 exp, +3 lance wexp
Tundyssa loses 6 hp
"Error, repair... air... air... airrrrrrhhhh..."

This time, with Requiem's blade piercing the machine, the construct seemed to fall dormant, parts not moving to fix themselves like they had previously. Requiem's voice shot into Tundyssa's mind once more. Xalrei, what was that? Where are we? This place is abundant with magic, but it is old-- Why do I know that it's old...? It is old... I could use it, but how, I need more-- Slay them with me, as you would anything living! Slay them! SLAY THEM! I require this magic, I need it, XALREI--

The ever growing aggressive voice of her weapon snapped out of her mind, silence returning to her, other than the sound of her own heavy breathing and the din of battle from around the corner.
Requiem gains +3 kills~
Construct #8 ceases to function.

Sollowy plinks an arrow at the construct
Roll: 79,7
Critical! More than a plink!
27 damage!
Sollowy gains +11 exp, +1 bow wexp

Ember punches the door!
The slabs open with the force of her large fists!

Inside the room was stillness and a lot of dust. The force of the door's opening had sent up a wave of it, partially obscuring sight for but a moment, but as it settled once again... Ember could make out the shapes of two objects. A sword, sheathed, laid against the stonework at the back of the room... And a staff-like container, housing a red sphere atop it. It appeared translucent, but whatever was inside of it was too far away to make out.

Whatever this construct was, it was moving now. Thesephine adopted a fighting stance once more, fear readily in her mind. "We... We fell in here. The ground above cracked and we tumbled down... I thought most of us would've died, but aside from some sore bodies, it seems, so far, we're all... Fine, to a degree." That woman they'd spotted had just come around the corner, Ayane peaking into the room as well. That lent credence to her theory that people were fine; Suki and Ayane couldn't fly, so they had to have made it down here some other way.

Asami watched the woman chant, recognized the spell, and was about to duck for cover in terror... When nothing came. She growled, frowning at the Gazer. "What do you think you're doing, casting something like that so close to us!? If you want our help getting out of here, we need to be in one piece, you idiot! Ugh... I don't know what's happened to you. I'm missing too many pieces to put this together, so calm down and be bloody patient..."

Tenna ran over to Tundyssa once again, swallowing hard. Her throat was dry and her anxiety was spiking, but whatever the dragon had done with her weapon seemed to have completely taken that machine out of action. "S-Stay still... I've still got you."
Tenna Mends Tundyssa
+18 hp

Tenna did her best to use a stronger spell to heal the dragon, gasping and struggling a little. Her leylines were still fighting against the human's magic, even if it was slowly starting to work. "Hhh... D-Dyssa... You really, h, have to let me in, geez..."

Edited by Mel the DM

Whatever Susan had done, Nisha felt herself invigorated, somewhat. Strange... but she wasn't complaining. Sollowy had gotten them started, but the construct was still moving, if barely. She couldn't get in close, and it was a tough shot from range, with how nimble the thing appeared.

"Sollowy. This is a bit of a tough angle, so I need the lightest bow I can get to make sure I hit it dead on. Forgive me." Nisha noted as she slipped through the shadows, materializing behind Sollowy and quickly swapping arms with the fairy, before adjusting to curve the trickshot over Sollowy and hopefully into the construct.

Nisha to 3,10, trade Greatbow for Sollowy's Iron bow, and Curved shot Construct 9 with Iron Bow

_________

Any upcoming guards were a ways off, they seemed to have regrouped into a proper line, but... Ember had gone off on her own. Nessraya didn't like this, but the group in front of her was far more capable than the solo fighter behind.

"I'm going to make sure nothing happens to Ember. Take things slow and measured. Seilan is a capable healer, and I trust all three of you in a fight. I have a bad feeling about her going off alone." Nessraya noted, following after the hellhound once Nashwa had taken the band from her. Rounding the corner just in time to see Ember bash the door open, Nessraya called out to her.

'Wait, Ember! Don't go in without me. We shouldn't split off solo until we know more about this place."

Nessraya to 7,34

Edited by Ether

Ren to 3,9

The oni ends up scrunching his nose at just imagining Susan's previous situation, but makes sure not to say anything about it.  He does however notice the little spell that acts as a boost for them, but merely appreciates Nisha's shot with a low whistle as he follows along.  "Very nice.  Great job Nisha!" they offer with a grin, before waving over at Sollowy now that their group's a little more put together.  Still not everyone but...details.

Bridgit to 41,11

"Makes you wonder what the others have already seen throughout this place..." Her words aren't reassuring really, the Pureblood simply looking on towards the fallen construct before floating over to the other two with a more pensive look.

They schmove!

Lavinia moves over to 43,41
"I don't like the look of that sword. Be careful!"

Enemy Phase/Turn 4!

Construct #1 strikes at Bladen!
Roll: 40,47
4 damage!
Bladen swings back
Roll: 86,33(73)
8 damage!
The construct crumbles from their long battle.
Bladen gains +27 exp, +2 sword wexp
Bladen levels!
level 17

9	52	19	99	25	82	46	56

+HP/Str/Spd

Construct #2 raises its blade and a blast of dark magic swarms Marina!
Roll: 6,52
19 damage!
The blast swiftly collected back onto the construct, any wear and tear that it had accrued over time suddenly disappearing...

"Marina!" Lavinia couldn't do anything but retrieve her staff, ready to heal the girl. "That's a runesword, damn... It contains a nosferatu spell. Gabriela, you should be most effective against it. I'll tend to Marina..."

Construct #3 is repairing

Construct #4 moves

Construct #5 is repairing

Construct #6 is repairing

Construct #7 is repairing

Construct #9 is repairing

Constrict #10 creaks, cracks, and snaps back to its feet! Blade raised, it charges after Nessraya!

Construct #11 is repairing

Construct #12 moves...

Construct #13 is repairing.

??? Is standing at the ready, combat systems repairing...

Player Phase/Turn 5!

Yr5Kfiq.png

Edited by Mel the DM

"Damn it." As one of the magical guards reanimated itself, Nessraya cursed. If nothing else, it meant she hadn't been wrong to accompany Ember. If one could restore itself, it was likely that they all could. There was another one nearby to Ember as well... she could likely keep them in check, but if they began to swarm it could be problematic. Perhaps there was a way to interfere with the revival...

Nessraya to 9,38, Nosferatu and attempt to drink construct 11 while it's down

The oni princess finished patching up her own wounds, it wasn't a clean job but it was good enough. "...my thanks." She spoke to her new companion Ilvira, and did her best to hold back her grumbles. They continued onward until Ayane found a familiar face with Suki. "...good, more company." She settled her nerves down and took a slight bow to Thesephine. "A good sign to be certain, but sadly I haven't seen anyone else on our way." She turned to Ilvira. "How are your wounds doing?"

26, 18 and Ayane finishes off her vuln

"Thanks." Setting back down on the ground, he glanced at Nashwa, catching her hesitation for just a moment. "...You all right? Magic can only knit the wounds of the body, not the mind. Don't lose your focus, else you might make a hasty step... though, I hardly need to tell you that, I imagine."

Now for the enemy. Jade had heard something around that corner, and now he needed to figure out where it was as well. Listen carefully, hear its motions... not only that, but sense the magic that drives the construct, animates it, ignore all else...perhaps there?

Seilan Elthunder (S) Construct 12, Hit & Away to (5, 43).

Edited by mcd900

Gabriela snuck in close, and with a bright flash of light made quick of one of the attackers. It sounded like it had been saying something, but she was a bit too distant to make it out. But Lavinia drew Lucille's attention to the other being's worry inducing sword. It didn't look like any sword she'd ever seen, and when the being held it up to the sky she understood why. Dark energy swarmed Marina, a nosferatu spell seemingly cast by the sword. A troublesome spell that absorbed the energies of its target, and healed the caster. Horrifyingly dangerous in the hands of a competent caster.

Under a normal set of circumstances, the sword would have given Lucille pause. But Villkiss's worried call at seeing her new friend assaulted, tipped the already unbalanced girl just far enough. Marina may have added to her frustration, but, she was still... still a friend, and at least in comparison to her, a child. "Villkiss. Up." Lucille hadn't needed to say it as Villkiss had already begun to take to the air. A nosferatu spell wouldn't matter if it didn't hit her, or anyone else. But if it did, at least she could probably manage it better. "There was a point where I wondered what these things were. Maybe we could have been left alone. We just wanted to leave, and get back to heading to Hwein. But I don't care anymore. I don't care about this place, these things, or why they're attacking us." She pointed her hand at the construct, "Whether you are living, undead, created or whatever else could exist. If you don't move, and leave us alone; then by the time I'm done with you and this damned place, you'll be about as tangible as an afterthought." 

Lucille to 43, 40 and Breeze Lightning Construct 2. Canto to 43, 38.

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

Nessraya's magic contacted the crumpled body of the construct, but no magic could be siphoned from its barely shifting form. Whatever magics had created them were quite protective while they were disabled... Perhaps an attempt while they were functional would prove effective.

Seilan blasts the golem!
Roll: 84,59
Barely hits!
20 damage!
Seilan gains +10 exp, +1 anima wexp!

Lucille is having a terrible day!

4,8(96)

Critical!

24 damage 

The runesword activates!

Near miss!

Lucille casts again!

51,43(56)

8 damage!

Lucille gains 11 exp!

Edited by Mel the DM

Hecate? What was the construct about to say? The death... if you could call it that of the thing left Gabriela with more questions than answers, but there was simply no time to think, as there were many more constructs approaching then just the one she just defeated. ''H-hey, we aren't here to rob the place, just show us the exit or something!'' Gabriela didn't really have any faith they would be interested in listening though, looking at them. So I guess more fighting would be necessary.

Gabriela moves to 40,43 and casts magic on construct 2.

The helhound turned to look back as Nessraya called her name, just in time for the dust kicked up by the doors she had bravely felled to settle. "There's just a sword and a staff in here, it looks like." She waited for the general to at least reach the entrance before she herself moved inside, she could take care of this while she was handling the thing that Jade had downed, which, on second thought, looked like it had been preparing itself. Well, at least Nessraya was here now.

Entering the room, she moved towards the back; she was far more interested in the sword than whatever magical contraption was on display. However, as she went to pick up the sword she nearly dropped it in surprise of what it felt like. Like she wasn't really holding it at all even if her eyes told her she was. "...That's weird. Found a magic sword... Probably." She called out to Nessraya as she turned her attention to the staff like object. Wary as she was, she still reached out to try and take it; to her relief it was solid, unlike the sword, however it was also clearly stuck to the floor. "Hmmmm... Maybe if I try this..." Rather than try to take the entire staff, she instead moved her claw up to try and remove the orb from the staff. There was clearly something inside it.

Ember moves to 10, 43 and interacts with the staff.

"You, fell?" The construct looked with confusion at Thesephine, lost in the meaning of her words. "Hrm... could it be..." It looked stressed, eyes darting around the floor, until a new presence showed itself. It paused, staring at the oni silently. A moment after assessing, and the construct was back to speaking to Thesephine.

"Your group fell... the ground gave in. That was when the light came. That means... that means I can leave." It almost seemed to be expressing feeling, enthusiasm. "If the ground gave in, then that's your exit, up." That was easier said than done with the structure of the spire, of course."

Gabriela moves in to strike the construct with magic, but its sword swings first!
10 damage!
Construct #2 heals 10 hp!
Gabriela casts at it!
Roll1: 1,18(69)
Great shield: 20(fail!)
11 damage
Roll2: 36,96(87)
Great shield: 66(fail!)
11 damage
Gabriela gains +11 exp, +2 light wexp!

Embers moves to 10,43 and acquires a Qu 'Lanor!

As Ember's paw came in contact with the orb inside the staff, a rush of emotions collided with her mind. No words, not spoken in a sense, but feelings coming through to her. Fear, confusion, a longing to be set free. Almost without thinking, she began to squeeze the orb tighter, tighter... Cracks formed on the glass, and with one final grip, the object shattered!

There was a sudden burst of magical energy. Nothing that damaged her, but it enveloped the area, a red mist settling in the air as a pair of wings flapped, heeled shoes gently touching the tiled floor... Before a fireball blew through the mist, the magic flying out of the room and crashing into the far wall with an impressive explosion, parts of the wall crumbling from impact.

"Where is she!?"

A voice growled, the form of a woman slowly revealing itself as the mist dissipated. She was of modest height and rather voluptuous, adorned in a white, folded top, without sleeves, the edges lined in black. Her arms wore white gloves, fingerless, the tips of those uncovered fingers still dancing with fire from the magic she'd just let go of. A long black skirt, the trim coloured white, flowed before settling, the still air of the labyrinth not moving it after it was jostled so swiftly. Heeled shows, with the touch of white leggings poking out of the skirt.

Most apparent of all, though... She was red. She had bat wings. A thin, whip like tail, with a cross shaped star adorned on its end... Two horns protruding from her long pink hair and a piercing yellow, almost golden gaze, that quickly turned and rested on Ember. There was an anger on her face, one that only seemed to grow as silence answered her question. "Where is Hecate? Where is SHE!? That pathetic wretch thinks she can imprison me!? ME!? I will break every part of her, heal her, do it again, and repeat it until I'm satisfied! Now WHERE IS SHE!?" Another fireball was already growing in her hands, now aimed at Ember.

Miz spawns on 11,43

Thesephine was continuing to get bad vibes from this thing. I don't think we want it to leave. "Why were you down here in the first place? Obviously up is the exit, but... Why was this place so hidden away?" Too many questions, too much to think about.

Edited by Mel the DM