Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 2: What Once Was is Once More

Nanami Touko

The heat had been draining him on the surface, and Seilan recalled Lucille heading off to investigate... something, though with the wastes sapping his magic things had been rather far from clear. Suffice to say when a hole had opened up in the middle of the ground, and a sudden sensation of falling beginning despite being rather certain this had been firm ground, it might have been dismissed as a dream, perhaps a nightmare - though it became apparent that something had certainly happened. For one, his vision seemed to be focusing on what was a blue stone surface, tilted on its side - no, he was on his side; his cheek was pressed against the stone, which was rather cold in contrast to what felt like moments ago.

He stood, somewhat groggily and uncertain, though as he fumbled for his bearings there was a sense of clarity; odd as a place this might be, it seemed to at least shelter him from the effects of the environment. The voices of Nashwa and the general rang out nearby, and he called out in response. "I'm here... what is this place? There wasn't like this in the briefings."

There was something odd on the ground, but he was still a bit too far to make out exactly what it was from here...

Seilan awakens on 3, 36, then moves to 3, 31.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ember groaned as she rose to her feet, taking stock of whatever the Hel had happened to her. "I'm alright, I think." She managed in response to the voice she'd heard while on the edge of consciousness. They'd been traveling through the wastes, which wasn't too terrible save the constant drain on her mana actually, when someone spotted a body and called for an investigation. Things had quickly gone downhill as a hole opened up, Suki had gone bounding out of the wagon to try to help but she'd lost sight of her in the chaos. Hopefully that pup's alright... As for myself... She wasn't alone at least, Nessraya, probably the one who had called out, was right next to her, as was Nashwa and one of the humans. One of the wagons, completely intact as well as its driver weren't far off either.

"Well, this is a great mess, isn''t it? Once you're done looking at whatever this is on the floor there's a pair of doors up here."

Ember moves to 9,35.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was clear that wherever she'd landed, no one else was nearby. She would just have to explore this place and hope that Thessy wasn't in any sort of danger...

Sollowy to 4,21.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't think we're dead, but I have no idea where we are." Though she wouldn't admit it, Tundyssa was glad that Tenna was alright and still near her even if the woman was still glued to her back. "C'mon, let go already. We can't just sit around here." Should Tenna not comply the dragon was not above peeling her limbs off of her body. She needed to, at the very least, find out where her sister had fallen. And, now that there were at least moderately safe, she didn't need to feel bad about depriving Tenna of her security dragon. The place felt vaguely familiar, like when Hess had visited her dreams as they traveled threw the Wastes, but only in the fact that it was a wholly unique feeling. Wherever or whatever this place was, it wasn't something that belonged to her age.

"Look there's something over there. Maybe whatever it is still works."

Tundyssa to 14,11, find out what that button do.

Chosen By The Gods

“... Awaken. Xalrei… Tundysssssa. Awaken. You, chosssssen by blood, chosssen by birth. Chossssen to be, my champion. Awaken, and ansssswer, my call.” A voice sounded out in Xalrei’s dream, the dragon’s eyes shooting open, though still in a dream. She was floating in a void, an odd blue glow surrounding the area, encapsulating her in its rays. As focus came to her, the form of a gigantic, green skinned lamia would come into view, covered in clothes and gold jewelry, resting against an invisible floor, chin on her arm, the other resting against her head. Her enormous forked tongue shot out, almost reaching Xalrei, yellow eyes with needle thin irises looking her down. “I am Hessssss… Sssssspeak. Your Goddesssss commands you.”

Xalrei awoke, though perhaps that wasn’t the proper term in this scenario, to the call of a voice she’d never heard before. It commanded her awake, then to answer. More in response to this demand, than her own choosing to do so, her eyes shot open only for a lit void of blue to greet her. Then, as her vision cleared, the form of a giant snake clothed in gold came into view. Her eyes went wide and her mouth hung open; it could only be Hess that she was beholding. She stared, silent still as she tried to process what was going on. Me? Her champion? But I… Thesephine’s the eldest, more worthy of the role… Finally her lips moved, partially to avoid the wrath of the Goddess should she not obey her command. “Wh, Why me? I haven’t done anything to earn your favor.”

“Your ssssssissster… Is wrapped up in a turmoil of her own. Were I to place my faith in her, it would go unansssswered for months… Maybe yearsss… But you~” Hess grinned, eyes closing ever so slightly. “You. You are aimlesssss… Without a cause. Without direction. Your name revealed, your birth shown to you, your family not what you once thought it wasss… Will you return to Khach upon Coteon’s defeat? And then, what? Live out your days, as sssssomeone else, ssssomeone you are not? Xalrei Idreis… Tundyssa Adezosi… What will it be? Who will you be? I am offering you… Sssssssssalvation. From your indecision…”

“I…” Xalrei didn’t know how to respond to the Goddess, wholly unprepared to be confronted about her self-conflict by a deity of all things. She shook in place, staring up at Hess with both hope and fear in her eyes. “I, I always planned on returning to Khach once this was over… My sister is the King, and eldest besides. But, I still don’t know who I am. Who I want to be…”
“If… If you can help me answer that question, give me ‘salvation’...” She gulped, daring to look into the Goddess’ eyes. “Then, tell me what you need me to do. What it takes to be your champion.”

“Hhhhhhsssssssss…” A heavy breath left the deity, smiling wide, her tail flicking behind her, cracking against void space. “Mana, is not an infinite resource… What Coteon is doing, is not, evil, rather… Necesssssary… This, Goddesssss from afar, this, Tamamo– and do not repeat her name, mortal… She has cursssed this land, with her powers. The mana that createssss monsters, does not come from myself, or the world tree. Thus… It is, finite. The more your kind is born, the more magic is cast, the more monstersssss continue to exist, the quicker! This continent, and perhapsss the world will fall into ruin…” Hess spoke as though she did not share a care for the demise of Xensat and its people, even if she had tasked Xalrei with solving it.

“You musssst. Ssssssspeak! With the leader of the church of Ilrios. Tamamo, mussst be destroyed… And Yggdrasil, myself, and Ilrios… We, must become whole. These sssssquabbles and wars… They delay the inevitable. You. Will become my champion, like Ilriossss’ own, and lay your life, to solving thisssss… Should you accept, of course. Elssse… I will have no other to turn to than your ssssister. Or perhapsss, children… Should the world lassst that long.”

“You can’t seriously be saying that!” Xalrei yelled up at the Goddess, viscerally reacting with rage to Coteon’s actions being in any way justifiable. Her claws clenched then balled into fists, Xalrei herself shaking with rage. These wars with Coteon, the multitudes of monsters cut down for no good reason, couldn’t have been for the greater good! She didn’t want to accept it, yet… Yet a literal deity had summoned her from her dreams to tell her this. Much as she wished it wasn’t the case, what had been revealed to her couldn’t be taken back. Even if she refused Hess, pretended this never happened and was just a dream, she would just be torn in yet another direction with the Goddess’ words lingering in the back of her mind. She needed to make a choice and it was now or never. She couldn’t imagine Hess was one to offer second chances.

“I… I still can’t forgive what the humans have done, even if it was ‘necessary’, as you put it. If I see that damn archbishop I’m going to kill him…” She paused, then added begrudgingly, “After I have what I need from him. If you’re fine with a champion like me, then I’ll do it.”

Hess’ eyes squinted at Xalrei’s claim, her smile dimming over the dragon’s words. “You do not ssssseem to undersstand… Your usual way of dealing with things. Thisssss, bullheaded, approach to issssssues… If you aim to kill Carlon, without thisssss being truly resolved… Mmmnn, well… We shhhall sssee… How long your stubbornnesssss lastsss…” Hess flicked her tongue again, a power rising in Xalrei, something unique, something she’d never felt before. 

“When you come into your power on your own… You will underssssstand, what I have done to you. Until then…” The visage of Hess began to blur, slowly fading out of Xalrei’s sight.

“I said I’d wait until he played his part.” The dragon growled, not happy with the words coming out of her lips, nor at Hess apparently being aware of so much of herself and her actions. “What did you do to me? What do you mean…?” The power she’d been given felt distant, unreachable no matter how hard she tried to latch onto it. She would just have to wait and trust in the Goddess that it would show itself sooner than later. Hopefully before she actually needed it. As the Goddess began to fade Xalrei called out to her, a sudden thought triggered by the end of their meeting. “How do I talk to you again if I need to?”

“You cannot~ I will sssspeak with you, should I deem it necessssary…” Hess finally faded from Xalrei’s mind, her sleep returning to normal, a dream beginning to play, though the dragon remained incredibly lucid.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xalrei awoke with a start, gasping for air as she shot up into a sitting position in the wagon. Was… Was any of that real? Or just a dream…? The dragon didn’t feel any different than when she’d gone to sleep, save for the sweat she’d worked up from tossing and turning in her sleep. No, there was… That had to mean something. I should tell Thesephine… Crawling over the others as best she could Xalrei made her way up to the front of the wagon where her sister was seated, driving the wagon as her fiance lay sleeping on her lap. Not wanting to wake the Gathlain, or the others in the cart for that matter, Xalrei spoke in a whisper. “Thessy! Something… Insane, just happened. I… I think, Hess came to me in a dream. She wanted me to be her champion, like Tenn… Ebria is for Ilrios.”

Thesephine yawned, tempted to sleep… She wouldn’t, but she needed it soon. Hopefully someone could switch with her and– “Muh?” Xalrei? No, Tundyssa. “Mmm… What’s… Huh?” A dream about Hess? Champion, like Tenebria…? Was that a nickname? I didn’t realize she was so close to the princess… “Isn’t, that a good thing?” Thesephine yawned again, shaking her head, her hair swaying furiously. “Ahh… I mean… I guess, I’m a little jealous that you were picked between us, but… My… Our, father said that it would happen one day. What did she want you to do…?”

“I mean, I think it’s a good thing?” If only to give me a direction to follow… A small sigh of relief left the dragon as Thesephine, at least externally, glossed over her nearly referring to Tenna by nickname. “I told her you were a better candidate, too, but she said you were busy.” She couldn’t stop herself from glancing down at the fairy, having assumed her to be what was occupying her sister’s attention. “Er, she said that I’m supposed to…” She paused, fighting with herself just to get words out. “‘Work with the archbishop of Ilrios’ church, destroy Ta-’” she caught herself, remembering just in time to not speak the name. 

“‘Destroy a false goddess who cursed this land, and then find a way to merge Hess, Ilrios, and Yggdrasil into one being’. Otherwise, the world will run out of mana from monsters being born.” She paused, her fists clenched, shaking. “She said that what Coteon’s doing is necessary. That their killing of monsters is needed to keep the world alive longer…”

Dyssa dropped a lot, leaving Thesephine’s mouth agape, looking back at the dragon instead of the road. “Wh… Whaa… I– okay, road, p-pay attention, Thesephine…” She looked away, huffing. “That’s… If, if that was really Hess, then I can’t question her words, but… Some of those thoughts make sense and, some are… Some are very dangerous.” She sighed, definitely awake now. “You’ll… You’ll just have to trust her, a little, and see with your own eyes how true these claims are…”

“I… I know that, Thessy. I, uh, actually yelled at her about it. And told her I’d kill that damn archbishop when he’s played his role, too. I’m, still here, I guess so she’s probably not lying about being desperate for one of us to take action, at least.” She sighed, looking out into the vastness of the Wastes. “She also gave me power, too, but it’s not ready. Or, I’m not ready for it, yet. She was annoyingly vague towards the end…”

“I… Mmmn. I don’t know what to make of most of this, Dyssa, but I’m here for you now… So if you get another vision, or this power begins to manifest, or, you just need help with making a decision… Ask me, okay?” Thessy smiled and glanced back at her sister, giggling a bit. “I’m pretty happy that you came to talk to me about this… Even if I can’t do much but say, ‘wait and see’. Hopefully you don’t have to wait too long…”

“Of course I will, Thessy.” She returned her sister’s smile with one of her own, the weight that had been suddenly dropped on her now a bit more manageable. “Mmm. Hopefully not, but who knows how long it’ll take me to ‘come into my own’...” A small sigh escaped her, but she was swiftly back to smiling at Thesephine. ”Of course I’m going to go to you first… We might not’ve known each other for that long, but you’re still my older sister, Thessy. I do look up to you, you know.”

“I think you look down at me, if we’re speaking literally…” Thesephine couldn’t help cracking a joke, about how tall they both were. “Mmm, but, I understand what you mean, and I’ll let you talk to me about anything… What aboooout… Princess Tenna~?” Thesephine cracked another smile back at the dragon, giggling a bit louder. “I caught that, Dyssa.”

“I held back from making that joke, you know.” The dragon quietly chuckled now that one of them had said it, though she’d only held back in the first place to avoid upsetting her sister. “Wh-What about her?” She suddenly sputtered, a panicked look on her face. “She’s just, like a lost puppy, that I didn’t want…”

“Yeah? That’s all?” Another snicker, Thesephine sighed. “I… Was a little worried about her when she showed up, if I’m being honest. But… The woman seems more harmless than even a powerless human. At least they would try to throw a fist… Despite all the power within Tenna, I can’t see her turning it against any of us, let alone you. She’s really clung onto you, Dyssa… Maybe there’s something you two share that I don’t know about~?” She couldn’t help teasing her sister, trying to keep her giggles quiet so as to not wake Sollowy.

“Whatever the case is… It’s nice to see you getting along with a human. They aren’t all bad. Despite all that Coteon has done to me… And as much as she is far from perfect, Marina is teaching me that they can learn and grow; that they can overcome this hatred so deep in their ways… Try to stay friends with her if you can, Dyssa.”

“Y, Yeah, that’s it.” She huffed and crossed her arms, then gently sighed.”I get what you mean. She couldn’t even cast at me when she first saw me. Even tried to heal me, though that might’ve just been her survival instincts.” Another huff as Thesephine’s teasing continued, the dragon fighting to keep her tail from whipping into the wagon. “I mean, we’re both champions of the Gods, if that counts. I’ll have to work with her, going forward, so I guess, being friends isn’t the worst thing.”

She paused, looking out into the star-covered sky and the wastes below them, pondering a question that had been eating at her long before this visit from Hess. From all the way back when Asami revealed her identity to her. “Thessy, do you think I should start going by Tundyssa? I know it’s my real name, but I’ve been called Xalrei for so long…”

Dyssa being do clearly upset, but happy at the same time, made Thessy giggle harder, trying to keep quiet for Sollowy's sake. "Heheheh~ Ahh… I think you should go by whichever name makes you comfortable. I can call you Xalrei too, if you like. I know who you are, now, and that's all that matters to me… So take the name that makes you… Feel like you. Sorry if that's too vague or anything, I just… Don't want to make that choice for you." Thesephine idly wondered about their both being champions of their Gods, thinking on if this meeting and closeness was fated, but… Surely not.

“That’s not really the answer I was looking for…” She grumbled quietly at her sister. The entire point of asking was to receive a solid answer, or at least a push in a direction one way or another. “I guess… I can, try it out. See if it sticks. I love Grandfather, and the name he gave me, but part of me, at least, wants to bear the name our parents’ gave me.” And of all the responsibility that comes with it. I, will be worthy of it. I must be.

"You won't hear me complaining. I really like calling you Dyssa~" Another soft smile, Thessy's tail wrapped around the dragon and pulled her a little closer. "Thank you for coming back…"
“Mhhm…” Tundyssa let herself be pulled closer, draping her arms over her sister in a hug. “It’s, good to be back, Thessy. Let’s do our best to not need another reunion, yeah?”
"I'm not letting you go no matter how hard you try. Even if I get insufferable. I've been without my sister for too long… Never again." A somewhat sad look spread onto her face, leaning up against Dyssa now. "Never again…"

"Guess we'll just have to find things out as we go... I'll cover you as much as I can." Unfortunately for Nashwa, she didn't have much of what made her combat capable as usual, but her gun would still work just fine even if she couldn't take hits nearly as well. Not that there was anything hostile in sight... yet.

For now, sticking with Nessraya was her best option for several reasons. Not least of which was how she'd helped her start to get in control.

Learn By Doing

Spoiler

Despite having put herself with people she thought she could be comfortable with, Nashwa was still putting on something of an air of unapproachability. Not that she necessarily wanted it, just that she wasn’t used to being so… exposed, moreso in a background sense than of her clothing, even if that was an issue as well. And the Wasteland’s oppressive atmosphere wasn’t helping.

All of that combined to make for a very awkward first day of travel, but eventually, with the younger succubus getting bored of checking that her shotgun was in perfect condition and having stewed in her thoughts for long enough, she chose to open her mouth. “...N-Nessraya.” She tried to keep fairly quiet, but they’d have to go next to each other if they wanted some manner of privacy in the confines of the cart. “Can we, um… Talk a little, privately? As much as we can now…”

“Oh, Nashwa. Certainly, I don’t mind.” Nessraya replied, looking over at the younger succubus. Truthfully, she had expected this… Nashwa had been rather fidgety and shuffling herself about within the confines of the wagon throughout their travels so far, and had asked to ride alongside Nessraya for this purpose to begin with. The General hadn’t seen the merit in prodding Nashwa about her comfort levels prematurely, feeling it best to allow her to make moves of her own volition, but now that she had asked, Nessraya had no intention of turning her down.

“Although as you said, true privacy in a situation such as this is… not really feasible. We must simply do as best we can.”

“Y-yeah, so… If you can make room beside, I’ll come sit next to you. If that’s fine.” Or maybe, having Nessraya move would be easier since she had the smaller frame, but either way would be fine… and the proximity would be less of an issue than having to speak aloud and have just anyone in the wagon listening in to their conversation. Nashwa would just, have to deal with anything that being so close to the other succubus would cause. If anything.

Patting the spot next to her, Nessraya shuffled ever so slightly, tucking in her wings and tail to make a bit more room.

“It isn’t ideal, but that’s about as much room as I am able to make, at present. Come, sit. Air your concerns.”

“Having wings makes you take up a lot of space, even when they’re pulled in…” Especially since Nashwa’s were quite noticeably bigger than Nessraya’s. Thankfully, her backpack and such were designed so that they wouldn’t get in the way, but there was still their general size to consider.

Swiftly, she shifted herself over to the other side, sitting next to the older succubus and looking rather awkwardly aside. “I’ve, been thinking… If it’s like you said, and my mana leaking problem isn’t going to fix itself just by being, uh, supplied, then I should practice. I, just don’t know how.”

“Unfortunately, there isn’t much to be done for it. We make do as best we can.” Nessraya replied, certainly sympathetic to Nashwa’s point on the matter of wings… hers were a good deal smaller than those of the ailing succubus, and she had issues in the past, so for Nashwa those problems must have been amplified. However, the true nature of her approach quickly became evident… that of her leaking magic.

“Mmm, yes… it’s difficult to practice… mostly it’s instinctual. Your body gets a feel for the magic innate to it, and it’s simply directing that magic to it’s intended target that takes learning. Given your default state has developed differently… well, the best advice I have is to try and concentrate your magic into a particular person. In order to do that, you will necessarily need to direct it out of the open. It is simply something you’ll need to teach yourself to do by default. Hopefully, with your mana supplies properly replenished, you’ll learn to exert greater control through those exercises, to the point where you can keep your magic reigned in when you don’t intend to use it.”

“Into? So, focusing it directly, instead of just, letting it flow…” That seemed easy enough to do, even if it would take a while to learn to do properly. Conventional magic didn’t have much to do with this, so her previous experience was largely useless, at least for the problem at hand. Though that did also raise the all-too-frequent memories of what said problem usually did… “B-but, um, what’s going to happen to the person I’m practicing with? Even, if we’re talking about another monster… Focusing is going to, do something, right?” She fidgeted a little, certain that Nessraya would know what she precisely meant without having to say it.

“They will feel an increased attraction and desire towards you, yes. For now, focus your magic on me. Eventually you may need to train your body to correlate focusing your magic to feeding, but for the time being, I’m more than resilient enough to our magic that you won’t need to worry about any such outcomes.” Nessraya replied, addressing the unspoken worry.

“Unless you’ve found any of our humans or non-magical monsters to be a particularly delectable-looking morsel of course, don’t let me stifle your exploration.” She added, sticking her tongue out playfully to indicate it was meant in jest.

That made sense… and Nessraya would at least be a training partner who wouldn’t have issues with it. “H-huh? I-I, ahahaha…” A very, very nervous laugh was all Nashwa could immediately manage as a reply to the joke, not really knowing what to say. “I… don’t, really look at people in that way… Should I?” Confused whether it was better to just keep going as is or to try embracing her succubus self, she just shut up for the moment, felt out the mana coming from her, and focused her thoughts on Nessraya. She could faintly feel her magic being directed, not like usual, but more like an instinctive focus.

“Well, it isn’t good to view people as simply food, but if you’re going to get anywhere, it would be prudent for you to figure out your preferences and start looking for them in people. You’re going to need to get used to and embrace your sexuality, Nashwa.” Nessraya replied… it wasn’t surprising that the ailing succubus wasn’t used to picking partners from a crowd, but it really emphasized just how deep she had unwittingly dug her own hole. But that would come with time, for now, Nashwa had begun focusing her magic, Nessraya tracing the feeling as it slowly focused into her.

“Good. Keep going.”

A lot to ask for in a short time, but Nessraya was right, of course… how could she, a renowned succubus, be wrong about what a succubus should be doing? Nashwa would just have to figure out how to encompass that new and rather scary part of her that she’d conditioned herself to not think about. Easier said than done. Acknowledging it was step one, though, and maybe letting herself think like that would make her magic stronger. Though her eyes seemed to lose a bit of their focus, the small blush that rose to her cheeks told some of what her mind was going through -- perhaps especially so to another succubus like the general -- and it would quickly be followed by a small but tangible increase in her output.

“Good, I can feel the pull increasing. Care to share what you’re thinking, Nashwa?” Nessraya commented, a small smile crossing her face. Hopefully the gentle prodding would help normalize things for Nashwa.

“A-ah, I, uh…” The younger succubus was quickly shaken back to focus by the inquiry, or rather, back to fluster. She wasn’t sure if she actually wanted to vocalize her thoughts, but she felt like it was probably very tame by their race’s standards. “...T-tails. That’s, it…” With a few hops of logic, Nessraya would probably be able to figure out why exactly that was the case.

“Oh? Are you into tails, Nashwa? Or more getting your own tail played with, hmm?” Nessraya further questioned, her own offending appendage wagging about playfully behind her, surely on purpose…

Nashwa’s, in contrast, just about froze behind her, suddenly very conscious about its being there. “T-that’s, going a bit personal, s-surely…” The blush she now had was definitely one of embarrassment, and her nervous smile was paired with an uncertain gaze that just about said ‘please do anything other than continue on that track’. Even if the thoughts came naturally when she wasn’t actively repressing them, consciously doing anything about them would take a lot of forcing herself into it, and feeling safe doing so.

“Mmm, well… we can leave that lie, for now. Right now we should focus on your magic, and trying to expand your comfort zone. If there’s anything you are comfortable confiding in me, please, go ahead. The rest will come with time.” Nessraya backpedaled… a little too far that time. That was fine, it was a learning curve.

For a moment, Nashwa just nodded and continued with their little exercise, relaxing enough that her tail returned to a slow sway. She did have one question… One question that she really, really needed to ask, because if she didn’t, there wasn’t going to be a way forward that didn’t involve potentially more time than she’d have with this group.

“...Mmm…” With a small mumble, she dropped her focus, just meekly looking at Nessraya. “I, well…” She shook her head a bit; this really shouldn’t be that difficult! “I was… I was, wondering if y-you, could, um… T-take my first?”

Was that what was holding her up? Such a simple question, really… they really were starting from square one, after all.

“I don’t think that will be an issue. Although it may need to wait until we’re in a better locale… still, asking at all is good progress. We’ll make a succubus out of you yet, Nashwa.” Nessraya replied with a smile, gently caressing Nashwa’s cheek for a moment. She would need to get used to those sorts of touches, after all.

“H-hhhh… Y-yeah, not, in here, with everyone else…” Even if she might not have been expecting it, Nashwa wasn’t shying away from the soft touch. This, at least, was something she was familiar with, just from a very long time ago. It was rather relaxing, really… “Mmmm… M-maybe, if we get a moment, during a rest stop? It, doesn’t have to be much… I just, need something. Anything.” If she didn’t get at least a quick hands-on and get her first-timer’s fears out of the way, she felt like she’d never get properly started. And if there was anything succubus specific to know, surely Nessraya would be able to tell her, right?

“We will have to see what lies ahead, I suppose. Even during a rest stop, our camp will likely need to be rather tightly knit… if the situation allows, we can give it a go. Though what we can get away with will rather depend on how well you can keep your voice in…” Nessraya remarked, good to see that, if nothing else, soft caresses were not outside of Nashwa’s comfort zone.

“A-ah, well, I-I’m good at restraint… Have to be.” Nashwa shook her head a bit. They wouldn’t have much space to work with if they tried to do anything in here, although if the others were out stretching their legs, maybe… And an idea crossed her. “I’ve, um, got my own tent rolled with my backpack, right there,” she said, pointing to her things situated on the opposite side. “While we’re, stopped, I could set that up to hide us from sight… A-and just, try to be quiet…” Now that that idea was in her head, some potentially very unrealistic thoughts went through it, whatever her perception of sexual conduct might have been before any conscious experience, raising a strong blush to her cheeks, enough that Nessraya could feel her mana flare up a little.

“I do wonder what you think I have in store for you, getting like that already. Well, I am looking forward to seeing how I match up to your expectations~ Much will depend on how we end up making camp, but your tent should suffice for our needs, if the stars align. Mmm, in the meanwhile, do keep considering what you expect from this, Nashwa… letting your subconscious go may very well shed some light on what your desires are, later on.” Nessraya noted with a light giggle, leaning back against the wall of the cart.

“For now, that seems a good place to start. Let your mind wander, and keep practicing your magic on me.”

“...Mmm.” Talking more was just going to make Nashwa more embarrassed now, so all that was left to do was to take Nessraya’s practice advice. She really hoped they could get the other kind of practice done before too long, too… Or she’d go crazy just thinking about it but not getting the chance to have any of her new thoughts acted upon. But even if she did, she wouldn’t let it show, or she felt she’d have learned nothing from the past 30 years. Holding back and shooting people were the only things she really thought she was good at.

Nashwa moves to 4-35.

Someone not from this continent? Things kept getting more and more intriguing! "I see, Miss Kusanagi! I shall remember that well, you did risk yourself to save me, after all!" Though, her curiosity kept being thrown places, as the mention of their environs made her look around, indeed unfamiliar to her as well, and then there was a third person in the mix, a beastkin of a rather fluffy sort. Suki, if she had heard Ayane correctly. "I must say, albeit our surroundings are not familiar in the slightest, it would be very dishonorable of me to not assist in turn however I can. Ah, but where are my manners?" The lady seemed to have herself together enough to stand up, and tall she did stand, easily towering over both Ayane and Suki. Not unexpected for an elf, seeming to also be rather slim for her height. "Ilvira Athileris, at your service. Shall I help you with the door?"

Ilvira moves to 33-24.

Lavinia rushes after Gabriela to 42,40

Bladen opens to chest to find... Human limbs...!
After the shock wore off, Bladen would realize the limbs were actually artificial. Though extremely detailed, there were obvious joints, like a human sized doll. A variety of legs and arms sat within them.

Ayane approaches the door, and...! Finds it locked, shut tight, and lacking any noticeable keyhole.

Nisha approaches the "Egg", presses her finger against it... And it flashes a blinding white light!
The egg that Nisha had prodded with her finger began to glow, slowly unwrapping like a gift on someone's birthday, though the present wasn't something pleasant. A woman's body and a deluge of thick, translucent liquid began to pour out of the wrapped 'Egg', her form, a cloaked feminine body with brown hair and a slender frame, sliding onto the floor and resting within the ooze.

Alarms suddenly began to sound throughout the ruin. "Alert. Subject S-001 breached... Releasing security measures. Please have identification ready to present to confirm your presence." The alarm was sounding through every hall, despite others not knowing the source of the alert...

Agni moves to inspect the egg... Right as the alarms sound! The egg begins to shine and release...
The "Egg" in Agni's room also began to shine and open in a similar manner to the previous one, the same thick ooze and another feminine form releasing from it... Though this one was far more unique in appearance. Grey skin, black hair, some sort of 'tar' coating their body. Tendrils snuck out from their hair, an eye attached to the end of each of them... And those eyes were beginning to open.

The alarm sounded once more. "Alert level rising to two. Subject X-001 has been breached. Security measures enhanced."

"Agni, what did you do!?" Asami had already been concerned about the first alarm, now a second!? What was going on!?

Jade approaches the oddly colored floor tile...

As Jade's cart crossed the tile, the alarm finally stopping, it pressed in... And a door to the south side of their room began to slide open, revealing... Another door.

"N-Not letting go... T-Too... Scared...!" Tenna's eyes were firmly shut, limbs glued to Xalrei, not letting her go for a second... Then the alarm went off, and she squeezed even tighter.

Tenna "moves" to 15,11
Xalrei steps on an oddly colored floor tile...

A click sounded out beneath Xalrei... Then nothing...

... Thesephine spun around at the sudden sound, a door opening behind her. "What... What is going on...?"

Ilvira approaches the door with Ayane and doesn't notice anything new...

Player Phase/Turn 1!

The security that the alarm had warned about had begun to appear... Hooded figures each brandishing different weapons.

ijWqZ2h.png

Footsteps coming up the stairs that led lower... And in the room the three were locked into, a sudden THUD, as another cloaked figure landed, having fallen out of the ceiling.

Edited by Mel the DM

Bladen hurriedly searches the chest and finds... An old spellbook...
The tome was clearly worn from years of use and rest both, dust coating the cover. The title had been worn off over time, but the spells within seemed usable; the tome wasn't about to crumble into dust. However, without a title, such arcane knowledge was beyond Bladen's recognition.

Bladen has instinctively flinched backwards when he first found the set of human limbs just stuffed carelessly into a chest, but quickly calmed down upon realizing they were fake. Just as he was getting ready to move on to the next chest though, a loud alarm started blaring. "Was that me? I didn't release anything though..." And then a cloaked figure appeared out of nowhere.

Bladen stared at the spear wielding figure for a long second. "You know what? Sure. This may as well happen. First we find a mysterious figure in the magic sucking expanse of nothingness, then the earth literally opens up underneath my feet and I find myself alone in a strange building where someone keeps life sized doll limbs in a chest! Why wouldn't a strange cloaked figure show up out of nowhere to attack me? Well, I'm sorry mister spear user, you're going to have to wait." It was just all too much and he was sick and tired of this day already. Turning his back to the enemy, he moved and found...

A book. It was some sort of tome, he knew that much, but beyond that, he couldn't tell anything besides that it was ancient. "Well, maybe I can throw it at you, Mr Intimidating Hooded Dude. Distract you long enough to maybe get some of these other chests open, you know?"

Lucille idly nodded at Marina's offer. She was absorbed with checking Villkiss for injuries. Hopefully, she was just tired and scared from the wastes and the bizarre circumstances that brought them here. Her once over revealed nothing pressing, and Villkiss seemed to be starting to adjust. Still a little wobbly and weary looking, but perhaps some food would deal with that. A loud, exasperated sigh left her, this was not how she wanted, or needed to be spending her time in the midst of wherever this cursed place was. She already wanted to be done with this, and wasn't doing a good job of hiding it.

Her foot was tapping the floor at a feverish pace, but the flickering was starting to lessen. As much as she wanted to be left be so she could vent, Marina keeping her promise, and staying with her was a calming gesture. She was noticing now that her hands were shivering a little, and it wasn't from the chill in the air. She kept her cool through that frightening lack of control and it was only now hitting her. I guess being upset helped out for once... Villkiss wasn't the only one who could use a moment to breathe. Instead, a loud blaring noise sounded, and Lucille jumped. Several sparks from her arm as her temper reignited and anxiety shot through the roof, "Ugh! What is that?! W-what now?! What does 'releasing security measures' mean?!" 

In the corner of the large room, something appeared. It was a distance away, and seemingly hooded, so Lucille couldn't glean much aside from the bow in its hands. That, and the distance between it, and them, meant that it would be upon them before they could get to Lavinia and Gabriela. Unless she took flight, and Lucille wasn't keen on taking a passenger with Villkiss tired. Lucille looked for anything out of place, and noticed that there was an oddly colored tile back the way Marina and she had come. "Marina... I'm not letting... w-whatever that is anywhere near Villkiss. I've got to hang back, I'm not letting anything else happen to her. What an awful day. I don't even know what's happening anymore!"

A worried and frustrated Lucille doubles back to 47, 47

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

Wonderful, an incredibly loud alarm suddenly going off across the place. Marina covered her ears, and noticed... something emerging from across the hall. What on... And the alarm stopped? Marina sighed, and now Lucille was doubling back.

"I, mmm, don't worry Lucille. Vilkiss takes priority! We can... h-handle this." What a day, what a week, what a... everything.

Marina moves to 45,41

"It's... very relaxing seeing you two."

Xetketh's eyestalks opened only to violently slam shut and flinch away from the light. Then again, slowly this time, they fluttered open and began to scan around the room. As soon as they caught sight of a human, right next to her no less, feelings began to surface and her mind began to rapidly wake up as she remembered what had happened just before darkness took her. All eight eyes zeroed in on Agni and, ignoring the strange beastkin in the doorway, glared death at him as she pushed herself up, chanting under her breath all the while. She kept her head downturned, her hair cascaded over her face, even as stood up, though unsteady on her feet. No sooner than she had gained her footing did she lunge at Agni and grab him by the collar, hoisting him off the floor. Finally she looked up, singular eye nearly glowing with hatred as she glared up at the human.

"ARE YOU WITH THE WITCH!? ANSWER ME BEFORE I CRUSH YOUR WINDPIPE AND BE DONE WITH YOU!"

Edited by Ursali

A few things happened in quick succession. Someone, somewhere, had set off a security system. Given no one within her area had done anything that would have done so, that meant the others were around, and conscious. And when Jade stepped over the odd glyph, the security alarm stopped... granted, it didn't remove the new arrivals... they were too far away to tell for certain,  but something felt... off about them.

"Seilan, Nashwa! When Jade stepped over the glyph on the floor, it turned off the alarm. If you see any more, try to trip them... just be cautious about our new arrivals. I doubt they're friendly... perhaps if we can reset the security..."

Nessraya to 4,33

So the inhabitant of the egg was now free, and an alarm started blaring, causing Nisha to duck into said woman's shadow. After a few moments, a second announcement played, before the alarms... stopped? Whatever these... security measures were, nothing looked different inside of the room she was locked in. Perhaps against her better judgment, Nisha moved to examine the rune on the floor, circling the odd egg woman.

"Hey... are you awake? Are you alive? Anything? Do you know where we are?" Hopefully a response would come... dragging around an unconscious body didn't seem like her idea of a good time in such a strange place...

Nisha moves to 8,16 and pops the rune

Whoever or whatever appeared, they were much unlike any other monster Agni had seen. It was hard not to focus on the many eyes staring at him as this creature came to its senses, finally standing up. It had a feminine form, and... slime? No, that was no slime monster. "Who are--"

Agni had no time to speak, careless to give it a chance to stand, he found himself lunged at, something he couldn't parry with a sheated dagger. "Ghkk!!" He was bombarded with an angry shout from this monster, gritting his teeth. "Witch? What witch?! Gh... --put me down!"

"Ugh..." Grimacing at the alarm, Taiyou continued --and stopped immediately as she spotted an unfamiliar face.

"Damn it, hold up." She signaled for the others to stop, staring the creature down. It looked human... but quite uncanny, it was hard to put a finger at the difference, but she didn't have time to think on it.

"Ah, w-wait for me!" Not wanting to be left behind, Fyl followed Taiyou and Bridgit.

Taiyou up 1, unequip lance, assume fort defense stance.

Bridgit up 4.

Fyl left 2 up 3.

Ardor of Aeons (Present time, if a bit ealier; Present place)

To those who couldn't see day or night, this was just another meaningless cycle. To this presence in particular, it was just another time of awareness, barely conscious. Formless, yet true, it walked the halls aimlessly again.

It had taken some comfort in seeing the cruelty of time in the halls around it, but it still couldn't move past these barriers.

They were all the world, for as long as memory served. Still. Dead, for all purposes, and slowly fading away...

It had no idea how to handle, therefore, when the world finally broke. Light came from above, a complete anathema to it, invading what little senses it had with a surge of painful wakeness. This incorporeal being lashed out at the nothing, its faint aura --the only thing that remained of it in the thin thread of reality-- distorting in impossible shapes, as if screaming without a voice.

Instinctually, it retreated from the light. Still unable to pass through the walls of this decaying labirynth, it had moved towards something of a coffin. Another monuments that towered over to the labirynth's roof. Something, in the deepest of its lingering consciousness, attached it with safety.

Soon enough, the coffin opened up, releasing... an extremely cold mist, water --that smelled as stale as one could imagine, if they had a nose--, and a construct. Material given the shape of a human, though lifeless of its own. It was more than enough of a shell and haven for this creature. It felt... familiar.

Walking away from the liquid expelled, it stumbled to pick itself up, moving in awkward slides, as if trying to figure it for the first time.

It slipped and fell, a hard, muffled thud against the ground. That was definitely harder than a human.

It finally realized it had upper limbs. It used those to pull itself up. It decided to not try to stand up for the while, instead sitting awkardly on the floor, one leg coiled.

Before the water would dry, it crawled forward, slowly figuring how to move from one location to another, in this corporeal form.

"Augh..." It barely realized it could make --and hear--, sound, in its efforts. Crawling was getting awkward, but it was close to something that caught its eye. Something that seemeed to tickle the depths of its consciousness, like the coffin beforehand. An ornate chair, dark as ebony.

Finally arriving, it... was at a loss at what to do. Nothing else came to mind. Only that it was tired of moving. It seemed so wasteful, so needlesly demanding.

...That felt like a familiar thought.

It seemed to be feeling frustration for the first time... in  who knows how long, it was nostalgic, so it definitely felt it before, and that made it more frustrating.

It decided to aim its frustration at the floor, pulling itself up onto the chair. It quickly realized it was not a comfortable position, and rolled on it.

That felt better...

Edited by Xinnidy

Ayane pressed at the door and growled when it didn't budge. "Dammit!" She pounded the door in frustration and turned with a sigh. The oni wanted something to take her anger out on, and as luck would have it a mysterious figure in a hood appeared. Ayane sensed the threat and turned to it. "Oh you picked the wrong time to try me." She took her blade and rushed forward.

Ayane rushes toward 36, 23 but doesn't attack

-------------

Meanwhile, Ren walked along the halls with a curious gaze. He spotted a door to his right and approached it to see if it would open. 'Ayane where are you...?'

Ren moves 6, 9 to check the door.

Ren runs over to find that the door is locked, but could be broken open
HP:20

Asami yelped as Agni was grabbed, eyes full of horror at seeing a beholder alive and breathing! "I-If you mean Hecate, no, we're not! Put him down! You've been locked away for a long, long time!" It wasn't time to hold onto secrets, Agni's life was on the line!

Nisha's rune opens the door north of Thesephine!

"What the--!?" Now both doors around Thessy were open, leaving her extra confused... She was tempted to leave, but it felt like a trap.

"It's good to see you as well, Marina... I don't know what these alarms are about, but let's keep together. We'll be fine..." Lavinia could only hope that was the truth.

Edited by Mel the DM

"First we fall, now we have to deal with...whatever that creature is?" Bridgit manages to keep her voice soft as she looks over at Taiyou, but it's obvious the Pureblood isn't finding any of this amusing in the least.  Also doesn't help that she's with two individuals from their group that she isn't familiar with, or comfortable enough to let her guard down even without the other potential foe beyond them.  She lets out a sigh, burrowing her face deeper into her cloak.

Even Ren's company would be appreciated here...damn it.

Ren can't help the sneeze that leaves him, scrunching his nose slightly before shrugging as he looks on at the door.  Without much preamble the oni knocks on the door, wondering if there's anyone inside.  So far it's been nothing but himself along this side, and he's not too fond of that.  Especially with Ayane and Shizuka nowhere to be.

"Hello?  Anyone there?!"

''Hi Marina! I'm glad to see you're alright. Let's stick together down here... it's dangerous. By the way, is.. Lucille alright?'' Vilkiss must have been scared to death falling down here in these strange ruins. Here's hoping the poor animal's legs or wings weren't injured. 

An alarm rang out, and then stopped shortly after. Nessraya called out to be wary of the figures arriving from the stairwells, which was quite reasonable; they most likely had been prompted by the alarm. There was probably nothing wrong with being preemptive...

Seilan Elthunder (S) Construct 10, Hit and Away to 3, 32.

Edited by mcd900

"I MEAN HECATE YOU SNIVELING LITTLE--" Xetketh made to move her hands to Agni's throat when the beastman desperately answered for him, several of her stalks moving around the human to stare at her in place of her hands moving to Agni's throat. "Was that so hard?" She snarled up at Agni, yet refused to lower him back to the ground; he seemed to be worth at least some leverage to the fox-like beastman. "What do you mean I've been sealed for a long time? How many years has it been? Was Miz'Githon also unsealed? Answer before I tire of holding this one."

Suddenly there was an alarm, footsteps, and then something emerged from the stairwell. Sollowy was glad she had started exploring and not waited around, not wanting to get close to whatever that was. If it had come after the alarm it probably wasn't friendly. Best to keep moving and hope it hadn't seen her...

Sollowy to 4, 16.

"Hecate who?!" This was beyond infuriating to Agni, she wouldn't even put him down! "None of these names make sense. Put me down!" He wouldn't just take this standing at this point, still, being at her grasp was no good --he needed a way out now. "What crap is this all about, Asami?"

Asami wasn't sure how to calm this situation down. The news wouldn't exactly please the beholder... "Miz'Githon has been sealed away for almost six centuries... I assume, if you were locked away with her at the same time, it's the same for you. Please put him down... We, fell in here. I'm the only one with an idea of where this is, now, so if you have any questions, direct them to me. Just... Leave Agni alone, please."

"What." Xetketh almost dropped Agni out of pure shock at what she'd just heard. "You mean to tell me, that that BITCH, sealed us for centuries!?" She couldn't believe it, didn't want to believe it. But, as her eyes hurriedly scoured the room to disprove Asami's claim, she couldn't deny that the place was in some amount of disrepair. Disrepair that wouldn't have happened if the palace was being maintained in the very least. "...Feh. Fine. I tire of holding him anyway." Without much warning, and certainly without care, Xetketh released Agni from her hold and stepped back before he thought to try anything in revenge. She kept a few eyestalks trained on him just in case...

"Tell me, is Miz'Githon also unsealed?" First in foremost the well being of her liege was at the front of her thoughts. It was much easier than trying to come to terms that she had been potentially sealed off from the world for well over half an eon.  She couldn't even begin wrap her mind around how different the world must be...

Xety holds.

Edited by Ursali

"Ugh!" Finally let go, Agni took a step back, ready to draw his weapon if needed. "Don't know who that is." He turned to Asami, "Are you going to take care of this woman, then? We stil need to find a way out, as it is." He sighed, "I'll do it." There was still one thing of interest...

Agni to 22,8, touch the rune.

"C'mon, I can't move around-- What the Hel is it now!?" Tundyssa hurriedly glanced around as the alarm rang out, scanning for something, anything. Then she heard it, something coming up the stairs. A cloaked figure slowly ascended, brandishing a tome; there was only one conclusion she could draw from this. "This must be those 'security measures'... You need to let go, Tenna!" She was done asking, peeling the clinging girl off her so she could put whatever this thing was into the floor before it had a chance to act.

Tundyssa to 12, 11, beat the Hel™️ out of the construct with her fists.

Well whatever that alarm was couldn't be good... Best to stick with the group rather than pick an unnecessary fight with whatever was in the stairwell.

Ember to 6,33.