Jump to content
Mel the DM

Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 2: What Once Was is Once More

Recommended Posts

40-46, open chest

"Follow dad, what could go wrong? Get to help save the world and see it at the same time. Go on cool adventures, meet new people. And now, here I am, stuck in a godsforsaken dungeon, fighting a goddamn doll. Well I'm sorry but nope. Not doing this right now. You can feel free to keep hitting me, but I'm not playing your game." Bladen walked right past the construct, moving on to the next chest and opening it instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed like nothing was happening around Lucille. One thing to relax about, but that was immediately replaced by Marina, Gabriela, and Lavinia backing up around the corner. No doubt because of that thing they saw. Lucille hadn't really been focusing on it, but the thought of potentially needing to fight reminded Lucille that end if her mana wasn't being sapped anymore, the wastes had done a number on her. She was tired, and not feeling the best. But that had to be the same for the other magic users, even if Lucille had the heat issue compounding things. Plus, if those things got anywhere near them, she could relieve some stress. 

She looked at Villkiss, who was still nuzzling her shoulder, "Villkiss, are you feeling any better? We might need you. Be honest, I'll manage if you're not." 

The winged horse flapped her wings, and then continued nuzzling into Lucille's shoulder. Lucille could tell that Villkiss was still feeling off; she wasn't being her normally confident and showoff-y self, but the situation wasn't really going to allow that. They'd be able to handle whatever came of things better together, anyway. 

Lucille nodded, and quickly set about mounting Villkiss. She rubbed the back of her head, "Alright, Villkiss. We're going to take things slow, but if we're needed. We'll make it work, right?" Lucille took the reins and urged Villkiss towards the group. She wasn't feeling much better for conversation, but the well being of the group came before her emotions. She approached Marina, "...Is everyone alright?" Tone still laced with frustration, but the worry was actually evident this time. "Sorry for breaking off... Villkiss and I just, just needed a moment. I'm still concerned about Villkiss, so I won't take a passenger, or fly until I'm confident she's okay. But..." She let her magic flare on purpose this time, "I'll help however I can." 

Lucille will regain full movement next turn! Lucille moves to 48, 45! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ren smashes his weapon to the door again. 


"Well...could've been worse-" is what Bridgit tries to say, only for their other companion to cast magic on the construct.  She has the decency to look startled, only followed by an undignified huff before getting out of the way.  "Honestly now, is violence how we're going to accomplish everything here?" Although, the other was still going to apprehend them...Maybe she just thought it'd be nice to make way without fighting someone or something for once?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yeah... I know." Nashwa grit her teeth, pausing from Nessraya's attempt at encouragement before breaking into a sprint, heading toward the glyph she'd caught a glimpse of earlier. Nice words weren't going to cut it if they couldn't find a way out of here, or survive the constructs that were after them. "Just have to make sure we can get as many shots on them as we can without taking risks." Risks that wouldn't be there if I had steel to hide in...

Nashwa moves to 4-40.


Right as she was about to exit the room, the chill gust of a burst of ice magic went by Ilvira, looking back to see that Ayane had been blasted rather hard. So much for being able to just make a break for it. "Should we not have kept it pinned to the wall instead, Miss Kusanagi!? Come, we must deal with it before it can press its advantage!" Without saying any more, she dashed to engage the hooded being, hoping she could dent it sufficiently for the oni to finish it off. This could hurt me quite dearly... But I mustn't reveal everything immediately.

Ilvira moves to 33-22 and attacks Construct 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayane took the Construct's attack and fell to the ground with a groan. She growled out as the pain settled. "...the one time I don't attack first..." She stood up and turned to the construct with rage in her eyes as she rose her shiny new blade. "A mistake you won't see me repeat!" She rushed out to the machine and swung out with extreme speed and violence!

Ayane rushes toward 34, 21 and Brave Swords Construct 13!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nashwa was... considerably upset; fair enough, given that she'd taken quite the blow, though he wasn't sure what to say, if anything. Nessraya seemed to have the situation well in hand, so perhaps it would be best to keep focused on the matter at hand - Nashwa certainly seemed to think so, quickly making her way towards the other end of the hallway. 

It would be best to keep pace with her; they'd need to keep fighting together in order to get through this. And given that these constructs were distinctly not  completely immobile despite their best attempts, they'd have to keep moving quickly.

Seilan to 3, 32.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We're okay, right now. Just..." Marina looked around, still unsure about their situation. "Just, lost."

She remembered the strange contraption downcthe way. As it seemed to her, maybe she can get a response from it... maybe not. It was worth the shot regardless.

"I'll take the lead."

Marina moves to 45, 41

Edited by Silver Gallade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the thing had attacked Jade, nobody could say it wasn't valid self defense... even if her dispatching of it had been extremely efficient and violent of her. Nothing else appeared to be coming up from the stairway, and it didn't look like it would be moving again any time soon, so it was time to regroup and continue exploring. Even if her mares could handle the stairs, the wagon couldn't, so anything below them was lower on her priorities than what was on their current level.

Rounding the corner, and seeing that one of the party was lagging behind, Jade called out, "Seilan, over here, let me give you a lift." He should be able to reach her in short order, and then the two of them could start to catch up to those taking up the exploration party's vanguard.

Jade moves to 6,35



Susan had been channeling to cast another spell, this one the most basic of her arsenal, but as the door split apart and collapsed beneath repeated blows from the other side, she let the wisps of fire forming around her left hand sputter out and vanish unformed and unthrown. The figure on the opposite side of it was of a look most unfamiliar to her, but she recalled the woman who had freed her using a name.

"Ren, I presume? Susan," she gave her name with a nod, pointing to her chest with her gloved hand, likely a superfluous gesture, but a natural one nonetheless. Then, introductions out of the way, she continued.

"Nisha," the name was said a bit slowly, having been heard, but not used yet, so Susan found herself feeling it out on her tongue for the first time, "--said you were magicked here from Vaya, on your way to Hwein, but... do you know where either those fall in relation to Ishtaria?" Maybe he was more familiar with geography than his travelling companion?

Edited by Balcerzak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At his name Ren can't help the small grin in greeting at Susan, nodding back and also giving a short salute with his fingers.  "Well met Susan.  You're right in that our Company was suddenly whisked away by some unknown entity.  Unfortunately I can't provide much about what you've come to know as Ishtaria, since I'm not from around these parts myself." And here he offers a more subdued smile, a touch sad before looking over at his companion.

"Assuming you've been here since we fell, am I the first of the others you've seen so far Nisha?" he asks, letting his weapon rest to the side while taking in the room itself.  "I'd suggest we head out, group up with whoever we find...but I take it you have other questions?" and here he looks over at Susan again, smile returning.  "Maybe one of our other companions can provide the answers you seek."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina sure was brave, taking the lead like that. Of course, as a non magic-wielder, she wouldn't be as affected by the magic sapping, so her taking the lead was probably the smart move for everyone.

''I'm right behind you.''

Gabriela walks to 43, 47.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nashwa appeared to accept her point, although it was clearly still eating at her. For the moment, all she could do was support her fellow succubus and keep things in check. The only other thing-

"-Hold on just a moment,  Nashwa. I have something for you." Nessraya noted, floating a little bit behind Nashwa, running her finger across the magical band she had been holding on to, taking it off.

"This artifact contains some magic. There's a chance it just might help you. You should take it."

Nessraya to 4,37

___________

That made sense. If she had really been here for that long, then a lingering fog over her brain and body wasn't all that unexpected. Nisha nodded along with Susan's explanation, trying to take in what information she could. Red devil... dollmaker. Neither descriptor meant anything to her at present, and she seemed unwilling... perhaps even deliberately avoiding, placing proper names to those descriptors. Well, it was better than nothing, Nisha supposed. The next thing she said though, was actually tangibly useful. A step in the right direction.

"A mage, huh? Well, try not to exert yourself too badly if your body is still recovering from waking up. As for me... mmm, casting is probably the wrong word. I've been told that I use a form of magic, but it's more inherited and instinctual than anything a real mage would cast." Nisha answered, moments before Ren gave the door another thwack from the other side, this time bringing it down.

That Ren also didn't know what this Ishtaria was didn't surprise her, given he was from across the sea, but it still made her feel a little more secure in her lack of knowledge. To address his other point, then-

"That's right, Ren. I woke up in this room, and found miss Susan inside of some strange, egg-like construct. I... think I'm the one who set off those alarms, when I got her out of it, haha... ha... There was some odd rune on the floor, I'm not sure what it did though. I was gonna try the door next, but you got here and beat me to it. You're right, we should keep moving and try to find the others. There's nothing else in here, at least."

Nisha to 6,8

Exiting the room and getting slight clearance around the corner, Nisha thought she spotted someone, though her line of sight wasn't quite clear. Small frame, floating... the wood fairy?

"Sollowy? Is that you?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ahh!" Tundyssa narrowly dodged the spear of lightning aimed at her, the spear sailing past her and exploding into sparks as it crashed into the wall. "What kinda spell was that?" The spell was entirely foreign to the dragon and too quick for her to have a chance to feel the magic used in the spell. Maybe if she'd been hig by it, but she had no intention of letting that happen.

Tundyssa to 15, 9 punch the construct to smithereens.


"Ahh, t, there's something chasing me! I don't know what it is, but it came up from the stairs after the alarm! She quickly explained as she continued to fly ss fast as she could. She wouldn’t say it aloud, but she was incredibly relieved to see Nisha here too. Though she knew that Ren opposed Ouka, she couldn't bring herself to entirely trust the Oni in their group after her encounterwith them at Vaia's Great Tree.

Sollowy to 3, 7.


Whatever the thing was it clearly wasn't an ally, Xetketh silently preparing a spell and beginning to float off the ground; she was going to be ready if it tried something. Strange, it took much more of her concentration than it should have just to hover a few inches off the ground. She could handle it, but it was concerning. Very concerning.

Rather than stick with their meager group as the being started making threats the fox dashed off, the being in hot pursuit. "If it sounds hostile why run and isolate yourself!?" She growled, floating after them as fast as she could. She wasn't one to help for free, but this fox seemed like her best bet to be reunited with Miz.

Xetketh to 27, 4.

Edited by Ursali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mention of the alarm, more than Ren also not knowing the local geography, caused Susan to frown. Sure, she had heard something annoying, during the first hazy moments, but whatever it had been had ceased before she'd really gotten conscious of it. It did make sense though, having been sealed, well, her captor would want to know if she escaped. Then she would also be coming looking for her, wouldn't she? If she was found... maybe the best case scenario would be seeing if the offer she'd previously refused was still on the table? Until then,

"I would inquire about a bath and a mirror, not at all happy about the slime I was encased in, but it seems we have more pressing matters at issue. Any other questions I might have can wait," Susan replied to the horned one, then followed Nisha out of the room, meeting a third from whatever party this had been. The slight sprite mentioned being chased, which narrowed down their options. Though... none of those she was really worried about had particularly struck her as the 'chasing' type, so this had to be something else.

Curious, she slowly approached the corner.

Susan to 4,9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The others seemed content to move on and be done with this place, but Ember couldn't help be curious about the double door that they'd all but abandoned behind them. Whatever had attacked Jade seemed to be dealt with for the moment at least; surely she would have time to investigate the door...

Ember to 8,36.

Edited by Ursali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fyl casts light on the construct!
Roll: 73,45
11 damage
Roll2: 97,26
11 damage!
Fyl gains +11 exp, +2 light wexp!

Agni charges and throws a knife!
Roll1: 62,98
8 damage!
The construct fires back!
Roll: 98,35
Wide miss!
Roll2: 23,53
8 more damage!
Agni gains Dualcast!
Agni gains +11 exp, +2 hidden wexp!

Taiyou swings into the construct!
Roll: 72,49
7 damage!
The construct swings back!
Roll: 77,95
14 damage!
Taiyou gains +11 exp, +2 lance wexp!

Bladen opens the chest!
He receives a Starlight tome!
Sends steel sword.

Ren breaks the door!

Ilvira swings into the Construct!
Roll: 1,77
8 damage!
It blasts her back!
Roll: 50,63
15 damage
5 durability!
Ilvira gains +11 exp, +1 sword wexp!

Ayane attempts to finish it off!
Roll1: 30,98
Roll2: 71,37
32 damage!
"Errrororororrorororrrr..."
Ayane gains +34 exp, +3 sword wexp!

Dyssa punches the construct into the tile floor!
Roll1: 87,15
Crit!
27 damage!
Roll2: 70,20
Crit!
27 damage!
"Please preseNHNHNGGGNNNN--"
The robot sparks as its jaw is punched off, collapsing against the ground!
Dyssa gains +20 exp, +3 fist wexp!
Level up! Level 19

75	43	56	73	99	43	76	4

+Str/Res

Tenna scoots to 14,9
"Ahh, a-are you, alright? Xalrei...? I, er... I wish I kn-knnn, knew what was going on..."

"Blasted constructs... Urgh, I ran because we can't dally with these! They don't 'die'! Not as long as they've got something powering them here...!"
Asami schmoves to 28,3, dance Agni
+15 exp!

Lavinia idles while the construct approaches.


"Prison...?" Thesephine didn't understand what this thing was talking about... At least it was talking, it seemed intelligent enough to understand what she was asking it. "Okay, but... What, are you? You don't appear to be human or a monster... Or alive... I can't tell." The magic emanating from it was odd, unlike either Thessy was used to dealing with.

Suki, curious and nervous, walked over to the body on the throne, much to Thesephine's displeasure. "Suki! Stay back, it could be dangerous!"

The wolf girl whined, sitting next to the throne. "Look hurt. Want help..."

Suki moves to 25,21

Edited by Mel the DM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hah..." Gasping after a bout of adrenaline, agni adjusted his footing, alternating his sights between the monster and Asami. "So you say... still, it's on our way right now, and it still reacts to my daggers. We can keep moving, but I'm not letting this thing corner us if this door is a bad end."

Agni keeps striking Construct 6 with his gauche.


Its artificial eyes continued to stare at Thesephine, tilting its head. "I..." Much like it avoided the question the first time, it seemed to be struggling to find words. At the mention of it not being human or monster, the construct looked down at its limbs, ball-jointed, much like a doll's, trying to process it.

"I don't... remember." It seemed frustated, trying to find words, closing its eyes. "Long, long time..." It was mustering whatever it could from its consciousness, faint concepts and memories swimming in its imagined vision. "Human, monster..."

"I know... I am human." After some pause, it spoke up again, then looked back at its limbs. "Hmm. Used to be...?"

The other monster, which has taken upon itself to approach, caused a great feeling of alarm. Even with the limited range of expressions, its eyes widened as it stared at Suki, watching her every movement until she sat next to it.

"Help..." It took a moment to calm down, but once it seemed confident the wolf girl didn't mean a threat, the construct relaxed. "...Thank you." Sat down, the wolf girl no longer felt threatening. ...it moved its hand slowly, not wanting to scare her, and instinctive impulse came to its memory.

It pet her head. "Thank you. Good."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agni goes for round 2!
Roll: 94,70(21)
8 damage!
The construct fires back!
Roll2: 78,1(59)
Critical!
24 damage!
The knife slams into the construct's head!
"Errrrrorrrrrrrmhnggnhngkj..."
Agni gains +34 exp, +3 hidden wexp!
Level up! Level 15

40	73	34	37	20	33	92	43

+HP/Mag/Spd/Lck!

Thesephine was rather stunned and shocked by the display going on. The... Creature, was gently petting Suki like it was normal behaviour. Perhaps there wasn't ill intent after all... She didn't shrink her spear, not yet. "You don't look or feel very human to me. If you say you used to be... A name. Do you at least have a name?"

Suki flinched a moment at the cold fingers suddenly petting her, but relaxed into the action, still pleased enough.

Enemy Phase/Turn 3!

Construct #1 approaches Bladen to strike once more!
"Illegal: Stealing from the Great Hecate; cease operations at once."
Roll: 86,33
Miss!
Bladen swings back!
Roll: 63,39(47)
8 damage!
Bladen gains +10 exp, +1 sword wexp!

Construct #2 rounds the corner!
"Synchronizing with other constructs: Intruders are armed and dangerous; move to disengage."

Construct 3's arm collapses and forms into a large bow, firing an arrow at Lavinia!
"Subdue intruders."
Roll: 73,18
Miss!
Roll2: 83,63
Miss!
"What the--" Lavinia's boot caught itself on a slightly raised tile and the vampire stumbled, just in time for two large bolts of steel to fly right past her, her other foot catching and steadying herself. She blinked, eyes wide, taking a harsh breath. "Lucky..."

Construct #5 continues to swing into Taiyou!
Roll: 68,50
Taiyou takes 14 damage!
No counter!

The other constructs synchronize and begin their chase for violence...

Player Phase/Turn 4!

As Tundyssa finished punching one of the constructs into the ground, the one she'd previously assaulted stood back up, parts sliding back into their final places.
"Damage assessed. Repairs compete. Functionality against targets improved. Resuming subjugation."

Jade is healed!

Taiyou is healed by Fyl's aura, taking her out of wrath!

b99sOW2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Whew... see? I got it." Releasing the tension in his stance, Agni turned around to reassure his companions. "Anyways... Let's not linger."

Agni lockpicks the door in front of the group.


"Oh goodness... please, sit back and take care of those wounds." Seeing the priestess duel the construct was painful for Fyl. Her heart was there... her swings were just, in need of help, or perhaps that thing was just built too sturdy. "Just, leave it to me."

Fyl holds, cast lightning at the construct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Grrhh... For now. It's not dead, Agni. Look." Asami pointed angrily at the automaton on the ground, its joints and wounds slowly closing already, the knife stuck in its head ever so slightly getting pushed out. "This place is spilling over with magic, magic that is directly connecting to these things. They won't ever die, not so long as whoever controls this place is alive... Or at least, has them active. We need to get out of here, and fast."

Asami dances Agni
+15 exp!

Fyl casts lightning!
Roll: 99,76
11 damage!
"Shutting, shut, shuttttiinninininnnnn, r-repairrrsss..."
Fyl gains +34 exp, +2 light wexp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yep. I got it, let's make a break for it once I'm done with this room." And... another empty floor. Agni sighed. "Should be quick."

Agni moves 4 up, examines that sigil.


"Ugh... thanks." With the construct downed, Taiyou could ease her stance... its mention of repairs wasn't inspiring confidence, though. "Apologies for making you worry... already hate this place." Sighing, Taiyou searched around her surroundings, noting some stairs further ahead. "We need to find the others."

Taiyou moves 5 to the left.


"Name...? Name..." It retreated its hand from the wolf girl, closing its artificial eyes in though once more. It was barely notable, in the poorly lit room, that a light blueish aura emanated from them. Very faint, like a dancing trail of steam.

"...Hm." It tilted its head, resting it arms on the throne. Its eyes opened up relatively fast. It seemed to remember something. "I remember... Hecate. Hecate... Hecate..." It muttered the word, eyes dashing, scanning the floor ar nothing in particular. "I used to be called that. That is my name? ...Yes." It seemed to have grasped at some semblance of memory, becoming lightly agitated, but not one to make moves. "Hecate. My name. That feels right." Those artificial eyes blinked.

"Hmm..." It took another glance at its artificial limbs. "What happened...? What was I doing...?"

Edited by Xinnidy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hecate...?" The name didn't ring for any of Thesephine's knowledge of the continent. This place was certainly ancient, but that she couldn't even place the name meant it was even more long gone than whatever this hole in the ground was truly meant to be. "I don't recognize that name, or this place, or what's going on... Ugh. And you can't seem to remember either."


Agni steps on the tile and... A door opens somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Don't recognize..." The construct fell silent, pondering what to do next. "Hmm... Not good. Not good."

It sighed, closing its eyes again. "Need to remember. I... had something important." Memories struggled to materialize, at least speech was coming back, it was getting used well enough to those practices. "Hm... what are your names?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"... Thesephine. I'm the King of Vaia. We're supposed to be in Hwein, but... Got into a little detour." At least its words seemed to be recovering, but its memory wasn't amazing.

"Suki!" The wolf chimed up and wagged her tail, smiling up at the doll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40-48, open chest

"Hecate, huh? Great news! No idea who that is. So I'll keep opening these chests on the off chance there's something in here that helps me." He slid around the construct, ignoring his wounds, and opened the final chest. He stared at it for a second, closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and then opened them, reaching into the chest. "You know what buddy? I take it back. So sorry about taking all this from your boss. So here! You can take it back to them!" And pulling his hand out of the chest, he whipped one of the spare fake legs he'd found in it at the construct.

Edited by scorri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabriela was shocked when the mysterious entity talked and even more so when it transformed it's arm into a bow, shooting at Lavinia. ''A-archers?!''

Gabby moves to 44-39 and blasts the construct with Aquinas.

''It's time to put a stop to your hijinks!''

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...