Stories You'd love to see for Main Lords in Future FE

DoomRPG

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

One way or another, I just hope the popularity of the Three Houses Lords gives IS the confidence to continue experimenting with new Lords, because all 3 of them brought something new and I'm grateful for it.

^

I'd personally really love if Dimitri in particular creates a new archetype of lord. A "troubled" Lord that has some sort of mental affliction that ends up comprising their noble nature.
It suck if this archetype is just C/P Dimitri's exact storyline every time. (Which is the assumption for IS.)

But unlike other ideas I'm still optimistic enough that maybe they'll try similar things rather than copy pasting. Idk. Probably nothing as crazy as split personality like I'm trying to do.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've mentioned this in other places, but one idea I'd like to see is a Lord who switches sides not so much for sympathizing with their enemies... but more because his own side is starting to do stuff they don't agree with... and not necessarily that they're becoming immoral.

Something akin to Agustín de Iturbide.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think I've mentioned this in other places, but one idea I'd like to see is a Lord who switches sides not so much for sympathizing with their enemies... but more because his own side is starting to do stuff they don't agree with... and not necessarily that they're becoming immoral.

Something akin to Agustín de Iturbide.

dont tell me it end up with the lord forming a 3rd side/faction, since neither side care to correct their way. suddenly its becoming gundam story plot

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Don't forget that we need cougars too, yes indeed.

cougar is part of Puma family which only consist of cougar, which already being said. unless you mean other cougar

8 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

Probably nothing as crazy as split personality like I'm trying to do.

it could only work with a side lord like 3H that take double role as vice lord and actual lord that gives command. making the actual lord just a figurehead. having split personality  could result in different strategy for each personality, imagine if they split in middle of war. confusing allies which strategy they're gonna execute there. in case like dimitri, he can do whatever he want and act like edgelord crazy lord since theres byleth that command the whole troop

7 minutes ago, joevar said:

dont tell me it end up with the lord forming a 3rd side/faction, since neither side care to correct their way. suddenly its becoming gundam story plot

Not a third side per se, but rather hoping they can preserve the status quo their side lost in the side they're defecting to. So also partly hoping a hijack/takeover of the other side without rejoining the first.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I saw someone mention a fallen noble Lord and I really like that idea and came up with two suggesions for possible versions of this premise

1. Our Lord is framed for a crime they didn`t commit and has their noble title revoked. After being banished, they learn that they were framed, now they embark on a journey to catch the ones who framed them and gain their lands back, with help from some friends and loyal former servants/knights

2. A more pragmatic Lord joined a faction of nobles that tried to size power from the royal family, however the plot failed and those involved were stripped of their lands, titles and exiled. Now with nothing to their name, they plan to reclaim their lands 

50 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

1. Our Lord is framed for a crime they didn`t commit and has their noble title revoked. After being banished, they learn that they were framed, now they embark on a journey to catch the ones who framed them and gain their lands back, with help from some friends and loyal former servants/knights

FYI, this was what Ike was going to be in a beta version of Path of Radiance.

Ike's father (not yet named), an imperial knight of Babylon (Begnion) married the adopted daughter of Duke Persis (the noble title given to Sephiran in the final product). Only for Ike's father to be charged with treason and executed when the boy is 12, while Ike's mother goes missing. Titania, a subordinate of Ike's father, escapes with Ike and Mist (age 10). And two years later, Titania forms a mercenary group consisting of fellow surviving former retainers of Ike's father. The game would've started 5 years after the treason incident, with Ike now beginning his mercenary career, working to restore the family name and discover the truth behind his father's downfall and mother's disappearance.

Considering this is officially part of FE, FE that wasn't, perhaps someone at IS will eventually have a nostalgic desire to revisit this unfinished script, albeit for a new hero with a new world. After all, the briefest of mentions of Sig, Quan, and Eldi being school friends got us 3H.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ike's father (not yet named), an imperial knight of Babylon (Begnion) married the adopted daughter of Duke Persis (the noble title given to Sephiran in the final product). Only for Ike's father to be charged with treason and executed when the boy is 12, while Ike's mother goes missing. Titania, a subordinate of Ike's father, escapes with Ike and Mist (age 10). And two years later, Titania forms a mercenary group consisting of fellow surviving former retainers of Ike's father. The game would've started 5 years after the treason incident, with Ike now beginning his mercenary career, working to restore the family name and discover the truth behind his father's downfall and mother's disappearance.

Considering this is officially part of FE, FE that wasn't, perhaps someone at IS will eventually have a nostalgic desire to revisit this unfinished script, albeit for a new hero with a new world. After all, the briefest of mentions of Sig, Quan, and Eldi being school friends got us 3H.

1. Didn't know that about PoR. Well. Assuming its true. I'm willing to trust that you've done your homework for something like that already.

2. Kaga always does it first. Always.

I wonder given IS's current sensibilities what the PoR beta attempt #2 would be like. I'm almost optimistic as I personally believe PoR has the best story of the FE series. Not really sure what else there would be too it though.

1 hour ago, DoomRPG said:

1. Didn't know that about PoR. Well. Assuming its true. I'm willing to trust that you've done your homework for something like that already.

https://serenesforest.net/2016/04/20/making-of-path-of-radiance/#more-31916

There is the source.

Notes on what could've been interest me. To see the roads not taken and a glimpse into the process that led us to the final result.

I would imagine this beta storyline would've taken place on this beta Tellius, or something very like it.:

tellius_old.jpg

Noad, Persis and Razia being provinces of the Begnion/Babylon Empire, each governed by a separate duke, who according to other notes, seem to have had a great deal of autonomy from the Empress.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Interesting, I was not aware of this. Sounds like it could`ve been an interesting plot. I would like to see something similar to this attempted again, just making past the beta stage.

Who knows, it could very well happen someday, even if they don`t specifically take inspiration from this early version of Path of Radiance.

On the sillier side admittedly, perhaps better for a spin off then a mainline game.

But what if the main lord was a horny D&D Bard?

Like I'm thinking on the lines of Austin Powers (primarily from the first movie since the series suffers from sequelitis pretty badly.)
(And well it itself hasn't aged too gracefully to say the least.)

But like general idea is that of a nymphomatic seducer who ends up with a multi-gendered/species harem as a personal army who uses all this power of seduction love to save the world from resident BBEW (Big Bad Evil Waifu)

Yeah pretty stupid idea I think its maybe for the best this doesn't happen xD

3 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

On the sillier side admittedly, perhaps better for a spin off then a mainline game.

Like I'm thinking on the lines of Austin Powers (primarily from the first movie since the series suffers from sequelitis pretty badly.)
(And well it itself hasn't aged too gracefully to say the least.)

But like general idea is that of a nymphomatic seducer who ends up with a multi-gendered/species harem as a personal army who uses all this power of seduction love to save the world from resident BBEW (Big Bad Evil Waifu)

Yeah pretty stupid idea I think its maybe for the best this doesn't happen xD

Inb4 you recruit new allies via a "face touching" minigame.

This idea wouldn't be without precedent, though. In Shadow Dragon, Caeda recruits Roger by flirting with him. So we could basically expand upon this. Although, it might be tricky to avoid the "everyone loves Avatar-kun" phenomenon that people complain about.

8 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

Not Fire Emblem, but Zidane from Final Fantasy IX fits that mold, actually. Not a musician, but an actor and flirting with basically every attractive girl he comes across. However, it comes across as charming instead of creepy because it generally doesn't actually go anywhere, which makes it look more like banter and less like Zidane constantly trying to get laid. At least that's how I remember him, it's been some time since I've played FF9.

In any case - a flirtatious lord? Sure, that might work, as long as it's written well. I generally like the "lovable rogue" archetype, and this is often part of the package. An actual harem fantasy? Yeah, no, fuck that.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:46 AM, joevar said:

cougar is part of Puma family which only consist of cougar, which already being said. unless you mean other cougar

Oh dang is that knowledge of clades that's nice bro, thanks.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On 1/15/2022 at 12:19 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

It's be interesting, but I feel it diverges pretty hard from the standard FE storytelling ethos, where things typically become so high-stakes as to negate moral conflict (and therefore justify why nobody ever leaves your army).

20 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

2. Kaga always does it first. Always.

And if not Kaga, then Blazer.

9 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Inb4 you recruit new allies via a "face touching" minigame.

Recruit all of the cougars with pats.

43 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

It's be interesting, but I feel it diverges pretty hard from the standard FE storytelling ethos, where things typically become so high-stakes as to negate moral conflict (and therefore justify why nobody ever leaves your army).

Could always make for a paradigm shift.

I specified it as pretty dumb for a reason xD

Now where is the beer again? I'm sure I can dredge up even stupider ideas then that.

As for more serious ideas I can think about.

Oriental themed FE with an expansion on the gauntlets to make a full fisticuff based weapon triangle.
I was particularly thinking
Strong fist which is the 3H Gauntlets Which loses to.
Gentle fist which is basically 1-1 ranged Fate knives. Debuffs, and quite severe ones too! No brave effects. Loses to
Wrestling. Which has a ton of repositioning effects. (I liked things like rushing blow. But they were often impractical.) so to buff it a bit. Wrestling also has combat arts that increase mobility. Y'know. Flying dragon kick someone off their horse 3 tiles past your maximum movement range. Loses to strong fist. (Also no brave effect. That's Strong Fist's thing)

These are seperated into "Fighting styles" which are obtained through either upgrading your home base with a better dojo. Or finding training scrolls and having an applicable unit read them.
Not every unit could read every scroll or learn every style. (perhaps exempting the main lord... And avatar, bleh.) but units could swap between every fighting style on demand. Even on the same map!
(Ofc as a balancing factor. All fighting styles wouldn't hurt as much as using a weapon. Your using them for brave effect, debuffs, or to reach objectives faster/screw up enemy positioning.)

This isn`t really about the Lord, but I would love to see the Lord have a more personal relationship with the main antagonist. Something akin to the rivalry between Ike and the Black Knight, or even the antagonist liking the hero like how Arvis still loves Azel even when on the opposite side. 

42 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

This isn`t really about the Lord, but I would love to see the Lord have a more personal relationship with the main antagonist. Something akin to the rivalry between Ike and the Black Knight, or even the antagonist liking the hero like how Arvis still loves Azel even when on the opposite side. 

I'd say that Dimitri's relationship with Edelgard in Azure Moon is another good example of that.

Unrelated, something else that I'd be interested to see but doubt will ever happen is a Fire Emblem game that doesn't really have a Lord character. By which I mean, it doesn't have anyone who is force-deployed and whose death results in game over. There are two ways I'm imagining this. One is to have a non-combatant main protagonist. So, imagine something along the lines of if PoR had been Elincia's story rather than Ike's story. Her contract was with the Greil Mercs as a whole, and it doesn't matter who they decide to deploy for each mission. Obviously, deaths would still be bad, but there wouldn't be any single individual who was indispensable.

The other way I'm imagining would be to do a story that didn't really have a single main character but was much more of an ensemble cast. Where, again, no single individual would be indispensable. While this sort of story is definitely possible, it can be hard to keep a narrative compelling if it isn't anchored by a point-of-view character, and it also doesn't really seem in keeping with the sort of stories that IS like to tell, so I'd be surprised to see it.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

I'd say that Dimitri's relationship with Edelgard in Azure Moon is another good example of that.

Exactly, it worked really well in my opinion.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Unrelated, something else that I'd be interested to see but doubt will ever happen is a Fire Emblem game that doesn't really have a Lord character. By which I mean, it doesn't have anyone who is force-deployed and whose death results in game over. There are two ways I'm imagining this. One is to have a non-combatant main protagonist. So, imagine something along the lines of if PoR had been Elincia's story rather than Ike's story. Her contract was with the Greil Mercs as a whole, and it doesn't matter who they decide to deploy for each mission. Obviously, deaths would still be bad, but there wouldn't be any single individual who was indispensable.

The other way I'm imagining would be to do a story that didn't really have a single main character but was much more of an ensemble cast. Where, again, no single individual would be indispensable. While this sort of story is definitely possible, it can be hard to keep a narrative compelling if it isn't anchored by a point-of-view character, and it also doesn't really seem in keeping with the sort of stories that IS like to tell, so I'd be surprised to see it.

Yeah, I doubt they would get rid of such a staple part of the franchise. 

The ensemble cast idea is interesting, but would probably be hard to make work with the type of story that FE likes to have.

10 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

That just gave me an idea: the main lord is the one in love with the Camus (who, as a result, would be promoted to one of the main antagonists).

Basically, they met before hostilities broke out and perhaps were even arranged to be married; then hostility broke out and the two of them end up on opposite sides.

Final Fantasy XV, back when it was Final Fantasy Versus XIII, was going to have something like this: the love interest Stella (later replaced with Lunafreya after the game was rebranded) was going to be an antagonist.

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

So, basically an FE game where the lord character is a non-combatant? That could potentially be interesting. However, getting rid of "game over if this specific character is killed" does mean that there would have to be more conditions for failure in order to compensate.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

So, basically an FE game where the lord character is a non-combatant? That could potentially be interesting. However, getting rid of "game over if this specific character is killed" does mean that there would have to be more conditions for failure in order to compensate.

Or you could re-introduce generic replacement units. And have a story focused on the remorseless meat grinder of warfare. And how even the best intentions of nobles lead hundreds if not thousands to an early grave again and again. (And often. The most petty  of intentions cause the most damage.) A game that where the main character, a Lord, physically cannot lose. As long as they put more meat onto the field of battle until their goal is achieved.

Or you can still have a designated leader role for the gameplay without they being the focus of the story, even if forced deployed.

A series like Super Robot Wars has done that. Games without a designated protagonist (the first Compact, Alpha Gaiden, the OGverse in general, etc.). That said, even if there's a designated protagonist they still employ "if this unit is defeated then it's Game Over" without them by virtue of those roles falling on the Battleship Captains, not the Mecha Pilots (unless a specific stage calls for more specific units to be force deployed and not be defeated). They're the leader(s) of the player party... but not necessarily the protagonist(s).

Granted, SRW doesn't employ permadeath, so they can afford to have more characters be involved in the story scenes, so it's easy to avoid having a designated protagonist/focal character.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

45 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

That just gave me an idea: the main lord is the one in love with the Camus (who, as a result, would be promoted to one of the main antagonists).

Basically, they met before hostilities broke out and perhaps were even arranged to be married; then hostility broke out and the two of them end up on opposite sides.

That`s an interesting idea. FE hasn`t done the star crossed lovers trope much from what I can remember.