Stories You'd love to see for Main Lords in Future FE

DoomRPG

It'd be hard to justify the Lord taking to the battlefield. Unless the entire game was about quelling rebellions or invasions that always reach the capital's doorstep, thus forcing them to take up arms personally. Otherwise you'd get RD Part 2 but all game long.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see a false main lead, and again a villain with more importance to the protagonist. Someone already mentioned the false lead concept and it can work perfectly in Fire Emblem.  This can go in two ways different ways:

1-Two lords,  the blue haired lord and an avatar, they trust each other deeply, a bromance like Chrom and Robin. The blue haired lord starts alright even if a bit generic, but starts taking very questionable political decisions, and then he/she went spiral downhill getting  corrupted with power, with no rendemption and the army splits. 3 playable characters will always join avatar, other 3 will always join the villain but there's around 6-8 units that you can more or less pick who side with whose, depending of level of supports or any similar system, and from there the journey continue following only avatar-lord (doesn't need to be an avatar but we all know that IS will make this lord the avatar). 

2- First 10 chapters build a traditional blue haired lord and then he dies in Sigurd's kind of way, then the 'true' lord with a more unique personality, who was apparently a minor character, takes place and the 'proper story' begin in the next 20 chapters, with avatar mourning the first but following this Lord's lead.  I know Blazing Blade flirted with this idea (Lyn's first chapters, death of Hector's brother) but it could be the main concept of the story pretty much like they develop FE16 inspired in a detail of FE4 lore. 

Other than that: 

1 . Yes to star crossed lovers. A marriage between two nations that goes wrong since the peace was broken, so both kingdoms enter in war. In this context the lord would be free to romance aka settle to other characters in the end, but the main driving force the protagonist feud with the nation of their ex love. Build their romance and break it tragically.  The saltiness would be so great because, with the match making feature  so many people would hate the antagonist that is between their favoured pair, and I will be there for all that.  The secondary lord, Avatar could be the younger sibling

2. Still following the arranged marriage trope, a lord that starts naive and enters a political marriage with some apparently perfect heir of a more powerful nation, but this marriage goes extremely wrong and the Lord need to run away to save their life joining a rebel faction, and then the story begins (I think this one would work better with a female lord).  

Two of those ideas could be mixed like the star crossed lovers + false lead, for example, even though they function better separately imo. 

Edited by genesis

On 1/23/2022 at 12:52 AM, joevar said:

oh, i was confused at the first sentence. turns out thats about battle condition. so yes, i got my answer.

*correct me if im wrong since i dont follow LotR that close*

thats tried-and-true formula for compelling protag, but unfortunately frodo didnt lead a big army unlike aragon (aragorn?). so frodo fits more for traditional jrpg game than srpg, unless we cut down the playable cast to less than 10.

also cant be a "lord" when you dont have any authority or not leading anything at all. since thats the literal meaning of lord. unless theres another lord that act as a leader, which make the point moot. (FE7, FE12, FE13)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  -

seeing edelgard is quite popular for good and bad reason, im sure they will introduce another female lord for new FE. so another story that i want see or inspired from:

a female protag (could be noble or from a respectable family of her village at least) that already married to a noble and had a child at the start of story. at early point of the story her husband died while fending off invader, so she plead to take revenge by joining the army.

Reveal hidden contents

later she married to the commander of the army that she joins. (so, noble-couple protagonists). altho later on her second husband will die too in middle of the war. and she choose to continue to lead the war with her child thats also in the army and with the memories of her two late husbands

the basic idea is i want to see something of an anti-Nyna. instead of a beautiful but helpless damsel in distress stuck in loveless marriage and unrequited love, this one could live far from frontlines (due to her status and renowned beauty) and stop getting even more sadness, but willingly choose the hard way by taking the banner instead. even though that path riddled with more sadness along the way.

yes, its from real history

About Frodo and LOTR: the ring could function perfectly as a Fire Emblem kind of item. Frodo was the one who wasn't corrupted by the ring. An ordinary protagonist could share a role similar to that. Vaan is a (rather badly written) example of that as well. The Fire Emblem could be anything, even a person that could fulfill the role of a secondary lord. 

Even though I think that when people claim that they want an ordinary lord, they mean that they don't want another person who was very privileged by birth or handled too many things by having special blood, being secretly a god, etc... That's why I think a thief ir rebel like protagonist could fill this concept. 

2 hours ago, genesis said:

About Frodo and LOTR: the ring could function perfectly as a Fire Emblem kind of item. Frodo was the one who wasn't corrupted by the ring. An ordinary protagonist could share a role similar to that. Vaan is a (rather badly written) example of that as well. The Fire Emblem could be anything, even a person that could fulfill the role of a secondary lord. 

Even though I think that when people claim that they want an ordinary lord, they mean that they don't want another person who was very privileged by birth or handled too many things by having special blood, being secretly a god, etc... That's why I think a thief ir rebel like protagonist could fill this concept. 

Seeing the One Ring being described as a "Fire Emblem" Sounds so off to me. Probably because no Fire Emblem has ever been an item of destruction or even deception. The closest is the Tellius Fire Emblem. AKA Lehran's Medallion. And even then its. Not quite one.

Dunno if its a story I'd love to see by its own. But the Fire Emblem being a purely destructive force that nobody except the main villain wants to touch does seem like it have a fair bit of potential to me.

3 hours ago, genesis said:

just to be clear, im not saying frodo cant function as "ordinary-background" protag. but in case of Fire emblem as Strategy RPG game so far, a protagonist means they will lead a sizeable army, which not what frodo did.

having non blue blood protag is easy, but what im opposed to the idea is ordinary which mean they dont have any "stand-out" or unique characteristic. in case of frodo, the fact he can resist from corruption already proof he is not average guy. blue blood or not

Fire Emblem as something dreadful, or calamity bringer is interesting tho, ngl. we already have FE thats serve as "good cause", now we need bad one

14 minutes ago, joevar said:

Fire Emblem as something dreadful, or calamity bringer is interesting tho, ngl. we already have FE thats serve as "good cause", now we need bad one

Considering "What the fuck does my Fire Emblem do. Is it meaningless like FE4? Important?" Was a problem for my fanfic pirate emblem. I think I have a pretty good idea to what to do with it now. Hurrah!

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Wasn't this basically Lehran's Medallion? Apart from a few, anyone who dared touch it would go berserk, and though it was revealed that the being imprisoned within it wasn't actually evil, releasing said being still caused everyone to get turned to stone.

3 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

Seeing the One Ring being described as a "Fire Emblem" Sounds so off to me. Probably because no Fire Emblem has ever been an item of destruction or even deception. The closest is the Tellius Fire Emblem. AKA Lehran's Medallion. And even then its. Not quite one.

What about the Sacred Stone of Grado? Y'know, the one that Lyon experiments with, thereby unwittingly unleashing the ancient Demon King Fomortiis upon the world? That Fire Emblem?

27 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Wasn't this basically Lehran's Medallion? Apart from a few, anyone who dared touch it would go berserk, and though it was revealed that the being imprisoned within it wasn't actually evil, releasing said being still caused everyone to get turned to stone.

Well. It definitely was close, but I'd still lean "Ehhhhhh. Only 95% of the way there" Yune herself NEVER does the petrification. Or is even directly responsible!

Sure technically the whole berserk thing is, but it never seems like something she wants to do once she's free. Yune gives her power to Ike at the end and it doesn't make him go crazy right then and there. So presumably she's regulating it.

Its absolutely a matter of opinion, but I'd say Yune not wanting to be actively malevolent. Disqualifies Lehran's Medalion from being fully alike to the One Ring. Which is 100% completely and actively malevolent and its a miracle Bilbo survived to meet Frodo. 

26 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

What about the Sacred Stone of Grado? Y'know, the one that Lyon experiments with, thereby unwittingly unleashing the ancient Demon King Fomortiis upon the world? That Fire Emblem?

Again I suppose its close enough to be a matter of opinion, but personally I'd still say it doesn't count as a malevolent artifact. Its actually quite benevolent really. Yeah it allows Fomortiis to possess Lyon. But its not supposed to do that. Its supposed to seal the DK and prevent him from messing shit up.

I'm thinking of a Fire Emblem that's basically a necronomican. "Use it. Go crazy or die or both." Which I'm like 99.9999% sure hasn't come close to be done yet.

22 minutes ago, DoomRPG said:

Well. It definitely was close, but I'd still lean "Ehhhhhh. Only 95% of the way there" Yune herself NEVER does the petrification. Or is even directly responsible!

Sure technically the whole berserk thing is, but it never seems like something she wants to do once she's free. Yune gives her power to Ike at the end and it doesn't make him go crazy right then and there. So presumably she's regulating it.

Its absolutely a matter of opinion, but I'd say Yune not wanting to be actively malevolent. Disqualifies Lehran's Medalion from being fully alike to the One Ring. Which is 100% completely and actively malevolent and its a miracle Bilbo survived to meet Frodo. 

Fair enough. I was never trying to suggest that Lehran's Medallion was at the level of the One Ring or that it was malevolent; only that it's an item that brings calamity.

Also, try to avoid double-posting.

30 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Also, try to avoid double-posting.

Wait all this time that's what "double-posting" meant? Apparently I didn't read the rules well enough. Since day 1 I thought there was a bug/glitch that sometimes caused a post to be literally doubled when it dropped. And that it was the poster's responsibility to report it for deletion.

I have performed the internet's equivalent of failing a perception check when walking into a room full of gold, gems, and enchanted gear and walking out concluding there was nothing of value.

At least I know how to avoid it now. Thank you Vanguard.

Fair enough. I was never trying to suggest that Lehran's Medallion was at the level of the One Ring or that it was malevolent; only that it's an item that brings calamity.

I was probably too eager to write it off as not counting. 95% is still a little light given what it does.

5 minutes ago, DoomRPG said:

Wait all this time that's what "double-posting" meant? Apparently I didn't read the rules well enough. Since day 1 I thought there was a bug/glitch that sometimes caused a post to be literally doubled when it dropped. And that it was the poster's responsibility to report it for deletion.

Thank you Vanguard.

That happens as well.

You're welcome.

Edited by vanguard333

9 hours ago, genesis said:

I want to see a false main lead, and again a villain with more importance to the protagonist. Someone already mentioned the false lead concept and it can work perfectly in Fire Emblem.  This can go in two ways different ways:

1-Two lords,  the blue haired lord and an avatar, they trust each other deeply, a bromance like Chrom and Robin. The blue haired lord starts alright even if a bit generic, but starts taking very questionable political decisions, and then he/she went spiral downhill getting  corrupted with power, with no rendemption and the army splits. 3 playable characters will always join avatar, other 3 will always join the villain but there's around 6-8 units that you can more or less pick who side with whose, depending of level of supports or any similar system, and from there the journey continue following only avatar-lord (doesn't need to be an avatar but we all know that IS will make this lord the avatar). 

2- First 10 chapters build a traditional blue haired lord and then he dies in Sigurd's kind of way, then the 'true' lord with a more unique personality, who was apparently a minor character, takes place and the 'proper story' begin in the next 20 chapters, with avatar mourning the first but following this Lord's lead.  I know Blazing Blade flirted with this idea (Lyn's first chapters, death of Hector's brother) but it could be the main concept of the story pretty much like they develop FE16 inspired in a detail of FE4 lore. 

really like this idea, and am kinda suprised FE hasn`t tried the false lead plotline since FE 4. Having said decoy protag become the main villain would be even sweeter. Personally, I think both the Lord who dies and the "true" protagonist should be equally interesting, otherwise it feels like the first lord was done dirty just because he was gonna die anyway.

I also think that the amount of playable characters who stay on your side and the number that joins the lord-turned-villain should remain static, that way, the characters who become enemies cannot be replaced with generic mooks, taking out any emotional investment the player might have in facing their own units.

5 hours ago, joevar said:

It would be interesting to have the Fire Emblem be not only of importance to the plot again, but be something that is dreaded by everyone and causes nothing but death and destruction.

13 hours ago, genesis said:

1 . Yes to star crossed lovers. A marriage between two nations that goes wrong since the peace was broken, so both kingdoms enter in war. In this context the lord would be free to romance aka settle to other characters in the end, but the main driving force the protagonist feud with the nation of their ex love. Build their romance and break it tragically.  The saltiness would be so great because, with the match making feature  so many people would hate the antagonist that is between their favoured pair, and I will be there for all that.  The secondary lord, Avatar could be the younger sibling

See the issue with this is how it is handled, as when it comes to star-crossed lovers it always takes one of two forms. You either have a well written and liked lover who just can’t be obtained despite being loved or you get a lover that is written badly so you can’t/don’t love them and then it’s pointless.

I would like to see a story in FE where the lord is the Hero of the humans against the Demi-human threat but during the war the lord realizes that the humans are the true evil ones and defects to aid the Demi-humans. Or I would like to see a proper revenge story line, where the big bad is actually doing really good things of the world/kingdom but the lord is consumed by the desire of revenge. The lord pile openly support and help his/her enemy while planing to ruining their life and then end it. 

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

maybe more or less? but like DoomRPG said, theres like still a "non bad thing" or maybe kind of redemption to that since Yune that was freed from it also help in final fight.

if that last bit non existent then it would be perfect anti thesis of fire emblem from the likes of marth game (where theres no benefit at all for the villain). so its just something that should be destroyed asap by the good guys. rather than sealed it and say "lets just make sure nobody use it" which 100% will be used.

5 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

It would be interesting to have the Fire Emblem be not only of importance to the plot again, but be something that is dreaded by everyone and causes nothing but death and destruction.

make the fire emblem the villain!

8 hours ago, DoomRPG said:

Wait all this time that's what "double-posting" meant?

might as well hold off on clicking reply button for a bit. you could do it like me by letting the response in the box for a bit (a hour even) then when you come up with new idea, or even more elaborate response, then add it and post it. so no need for "too many reply post in short time"

or.. you know, EDIT button exist.

47 minutes ago, joevar said:

make the fire emblem the villain!

Now that is a unique idea I can get behind.

Also, the picture of Dohalim down there makes me come up with an idea for a moment in a scenario similar to the false one mentioned above. The lord makes a decision that gets a family member of a close friend killed. This causes said friend to defect to the enemy side to get their revenge on that lord. 

I'd like to maybe see a Lord in a similar situation to Byleth, teaching people how to fight and work as a team in a recurring location after every map.

Except it's a Prison, because the people you're teaching are actually criminals/deserters as part of a Penal Battalion.

So the Lord is trying to get a functional military unit out of thieves, cut-throats and cowards.

So sorta like (from what I hear) The Dirty Dozen but Medieval fantasy. (and more than a dozen.)

I hear Thracia 776 sorta partly does this, with some of Leif's forces being unsavory bandits and thieves. (But I don't know if it deals a decent bit with Leif having to try to keep them in line for instance.)

Edited by Samz707

12 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Except it's a Prison, because the people you're teaching are actually criminals/deserters as part of a Penal Battalion.

So the Lord is trying to get a functional military unit out of thieves, cut-throats and cowards.

So sorta like (from what I hear) The Dirty Dozen but Medieval fantasy. (and more than a dozen.)

I hear Thracia 776 sorta partly does this, with some of Leif's forces being unsavory bandits and thieves. (But I don't know if it deals a decent bit with Leif having to try to keep them in line for instance.)

similar to Valkyria chronicle 3 plot then. the whole squadron is comprised of death-sentenced criminal. (actual criminal or just wrongly persecuted is part of the drama)  but due to war situation they got enlisted as off-record squad doing risky operation, with ambiguous chance of being pardoned in the end of war.

this could actually work with FE style, with some of the character will act as green or even other color unit for the first couple chapter they got introduced. preferably the most durable or stronger unit to avoid permadeath by dumb AI. or the red enemy prioritize blue unit when in range.

the lord need to be just as crazy as them to keep them in leash