Kirby And The Forgotten Land

MisterIceTeaPeach

That Kirby will get a game with real 3D engine was clear, but since today we also know the date of release: 25th March

What do you think about the existing trailer(s) so far?

Also what do you think will HAL do for 30th anniversary on 27th April?

Edited by Julizan

I love that co op has just become standard for all kirby games. I wasn't counting on it since it was a new gameplay style but now that it's here I want the game twice as badly. Let me beat up Tropical Woods. I'm also really jazzed at the idea of populating a town of waddle dees that you rescued. 

11 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Co-op makes the deal sweeter. And the game comes out the day before my brother's birthday, too (which happens to be the day behind my birthday)!

Speaking of which, I think I'll be getting it as a present for my brother's birthday.

Probably not for myself until some kind of decent discount.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Why does HAL need to do anything for the anniversary aside from acknowledge it on social media. Is a 3D Kirby not enough?

Added content?

On the video, that surprise Co-op is very nice, more reason to get it. Getting the sense of the game being more than the city we initially saw was also good.

And hey, it's out the same month as TS!

I have never been a Kirby fan, but this game does look interesting. I don't know if I'll get it; if I do buy the game, it'll probably be a while after seeing reviews of the game, but it's neat to see a 3D Kirby game. It makes me wonder if Nintendo will look back at any of its other old franchises and have them make the jump to 3D.

Well, let's see...a lot of Nintendo's older A-list series have made the jump to 3D by now. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Wario, Star Fox (heck, that one was always 3D), Pokemon...and Kirby himself has had 3D installments, just never a fully open 3D adventure title like we're seeing here.

Here's a partial list of old Nintendo games and series that have yet to receive 3D installments:

• Balloon Fight
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Duck Hunt
  • EarthBound (came so close with Mother 3)
  • Game & Watch
  • Hogan's Alley
  • Ice Climber
  • Mach Rider
  • Mole Mania
  • Mystery of Murasame Castle (which I would rename "Takamaru")
  • R.O.B.
  • Sheriff
  • Wild Gunman
  • Wrecking Crew

A larger list of Nintendo franchises can be found here: https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Nintendo_franchises

A lot of those are sports, which live on in the Mario Sports spinoff series today.

Edited by Lord_Brand

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Well, let's see...a lot of Nintendo's older A-list series have made the jump to 3D by now. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Wario, Star Fox (heck, that one was always 3D), Pokemon...and Kirby himself has had 3D installments, just never a fully open 3D adventure title like we're seeing here.

Here's a partial list of old Nintendo games and series that have yet to receive 3D installments:

• Balloon Fight
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Duck Hunt
  • EarthBound (came so close with Mother 3)
  • Game & Watch
  • Hogan's Alley
  • Ice Climber
  • Mach Rider
  • Mole Mania
  • Mystery of Murasame Castle (which I would rename "Takamaru")
  • R.O.B.
  • Sheriff
  • Wild Gunman
  • Wrecking Crew

A larger list of Nintendo franchises can be found here: https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Nintendo_franchises

A lot of those are sports, which live on in the Mario Sports spinoff series today.

Just wondering: when did Donkey Kong and Yoshi make the jump to 3D? I thought all the Yoshi games were side-scrollers.

Anyway, as for the list... Balloon Fight 3D would actually be interesting to see, simply because a fully 3D action-platformer like that that's built around flying presents a very interesting challenge; normally limitless flight completely breaks a 3D game that isn't about airplanes, so that could be interesting.

I've never played any of the Mother games, but I know enough about them to know that a 3D Mother game could be neat, but at the same time, where can they go with the series after Mother 3?

Ice Climber 3D could be interesting: a platformer all about climbing mountains.

I have no idea about the rest.

43 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Just wondering: when did Donkey Kong and Yoshi make the jump to 3D? I thought all the Yoshi games were side-scrollers.

DK made the jump with Donkey Kong 64, a fully 3D collect-a-thon platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie, although far more infamous thanks to excessive backtracking among other flaws.

Yoshi made the jump with Yoshi's Crafted World, which has him move between the foreground, middle, and background. It's a fairly limited form of 3D and probably not what you're thinking of, but it's a step. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually did make a true 3D Yoshi game.

As for others, Takamaru could get an open world adventure in the vein of BotW.

Edited by Lord_Brand

54 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

DK made the jump with Donkey Kong 64, a fully 3D collect-a-thon platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie, although far more infamous thanks to excessive backtracking among other flaws.

Yoshi made the jump with Yoshi's Crafted World, which has him move between the foreground, middle, and background. It's a fairly limited form of 3D and probably not what you're thinking of, but it's a step. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually did make a true 3D Yoshi game.

I see. 

I think Yoshi's Crafted World falls into the category of 2.5D; a 2D game that incorporates 3D elements but is still fundamentally 2D in terms of gameplay. The Donkey Kong Country games fall into this category, as does stuff like Metroid Dread.

How is Yoshi's Crafted World gameplaywise compared to Yoshi's Story (the only Yoshi game I have played yet)?

On 1/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Why does HAL need to do anything for the anniversary aside from acknowledge it on social media. Is a 3D Kirby not enough?

There was a special for Wii aka Dream Collection on 20th anniversary, so I would be surprsied at least, if there is none for 30th anniversary.

Though there was no Kirby game release on year of 20th anniversary; Return To Dream Land was released on 2011. 

Yoshi is the first playable character of Super Mario 64 DS. And while that isn't a wholly original game, at the very least his moveset is fully unique from the other three characters. Then there's his moonlighting in Sunshine, just keep him away from the water. And wouldn't you know it, the flutter kick is great in a 3D game, just like the FLUDD was. I don't think I would count Crafted World as 3D Though. 2.5D is already the name for a sidescroller that occasionally incorporates 3D space. If there's two tracks in Crafted World, you can't jump from one to the other and potentially fall into the bottomless pit between them, you have to wait for a connecting path. There are even a couple of levels in Yoshi's Story where the track splits up the same way.

Then again I'm the sort of person that feels a slight urge to raise their hand whenever Mario 3D World is called "a 3D Mario". When your camera is at a fixed position, you can only go forward and backward on a linear track, and your only objective is reaching the end of the track? That's a side scroller. Sorry not sorry. The only grounds by which I agree it's 3D Mario is that it has three dimensions and Mario is a playable character. But c'mon it's closer to Super Mario Bros than it is to Super Mario 64.

2 hours ago, Julizan said:

How is Yoshi's Crafted World gameplaywise compared to Yoshi's Story (the only Yoshi game I have played yet)?

I couldn't remember much about Crafted World, so I consulted the buddy I played the whole game with. He remembers liking it a lot, but probably owes that to our shenanigans in playing the game co-op. So many strange outfits. And trying to hit targets by eating the other player and spitting them out as a projectile rather than throwing eggs like a sensible person would. There's some cute scenes involving Baby Bowser and Poochy's Poochies. And we both agreed that the haunted house level is phenomenal. But beyond that, probably not a remarkable single player game. Gameplaywise it's much closer to Yoshi's Island than Story, but all Yoshi games are about exploration and hunting down secrets.

Yoshi's Story is a childhood favorite of mine, but I remember not liking it's secrets. Particularly having to sniff along the ground to find the precise pixel to ground pound. In other yoshi games it's usually a floating invisible cloud that you can reveal. After finding enough you start to anticipate their locations in the corners of an area. Scanning the terrain with a game designer's curiosity. "Here's where I'd put a secret...and there it is"

9 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Yoshi is the first playable character of Super Mario 64 DS. And while that isn't a wholly original game, at the very least his moveset is fully unique from the other three characters. Then there's his moonlighting in Sunshine, just keep him away from the water. And wouldn't you know it, the flutter kick is great in a 3D game, just like the FLUDD was. I don't think I would count Crafted World as 3D Though. 2.5D is already the name for a sidescroller that occasionally incorporates 3D space. If there's two tracks in Crafted World, you can't jump from one to the other and potentially fall into the bottomless pit between them, you have to wait for a connecting path. There are even a couple of levels in Yoshi's Story where the track splits up the same way.

Yoshi also appears in Super Mario Galaxy 2, as well as Odyssey - both undeniably 3D platformers, although it's debatable whether they could be called "Yoshi games".

Anyway, the game looks cool. Like Super Mario Odyssey, but with Kirby instead. Not sure whether I'll get it, but I'm fine putting it on the "Maybe" pile for now.

If Yoshi's name ain't in the title, it ain't a Yoshi game. :P But those examples show that Yoshi does work in 3D, so sooner or later we'll get a proper 3D Yoshi game.

A good plot for a 3D Yoshi could be a search for missing Yoshi Eggs, similar to Spyro: Year of the Dragon. Maybe Kamek or some other villain stole all the Yoshi Eggs, so the green dino embarks on a quest to get them back. Along the way, he gets to use powerups, transformations, and skills such as slurping, flutterkicking, ground-pounding, and egg tossing, with a variety of eggs available based on the type of enemy Yoshi slurps up. Birdo could also make her debut as one of Yoshi's friends, using her ability to spit eggs to help Yoshi out.

However, this isn't the place to discuss Yoshi's theoretical 3D outing, so I'll reserve further crafting for the proper topic.

The co-op gameplay reveal has really won me over, and has heavily increased my likelihood of getting the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to get one of my friends/siblings to set aside enough time for me to play the game with them fully.

I do wish it was Gooey as the 2nd player though, even if it means him not being able to copy abilities and him being stuck with the tongue whip, fireball, and such. I've always felt Kirby and Gooey were really good "similar yet different" partners, in the same vein as Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, and Sonic and Tails. I like Bandana Waddle Dee and all, but he doesn't really have as nice a partner dynamic as the examples I listed above.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, Lord_Brand said:

Co-op makes the deal sweeter. And the game comes out the day before my brother's birthday, too (which happens to be the day behind my birthday)!

Wow, you and your brother sure are lucky with the timing of the game's release!! That's sure going to make for one epic birthday celebration. The closest thing I've ever got to something like that was Vega being revealed for Street Fighter V one day before my birthday (though to be fair, Vega is my most favourite Street Fighter character, so that was pretty big).

On 1/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I couldn't remember much about Crafted World, so I consulted the buddy I played the whole game with. He remembers liking it a lot, but probably owes that to our shenanigans in playing the game co-op. So many strange outfits. And trying to hit targets by eating the other player and spitting them out as a projectile rather than throwing eggs like a sensible person would. There's some cute scenes involving Baby Bowser and Poochy's Poochies. And we both agreed that the haunted house level is phenomenal. But beyond that, probably not a remarkable single player game. Gameplaywise it's much closer to Yoshi's Island than Story, but all Yoshi games are about exploration and hunting down secrets.

Yoshi's Story is a childhood favorite of mine, but I remember not liking it's secrets. Particularly having to sniff along the ground to find the precise pixel to ground pound. In other yoshi games it's usually a floating invisible cloud that you can reveal. After finding enough you start to anticipate their locations in the corners of an area. Scanning the terrain with a game designer's curiosity. "Here's where I'd put a secret...and there it is"

This is important to know.

My biggest issue with Story was, it was too short.

It only consisted of six levels after all, even if it had replaybility by unlocking new stages.

• 2 months later...

I tried out the demo. As someone who has never really played a Kirby game before, I have to say that it was a lot of fun. It kind-of reminds me of Super Mario 3D World in a good way: the linear 3D levels and the emphasis on power-ups, making sure each level has enough interesting gimmicks to them that they're interesting; it's all a lot like Super Mario 3D World in that sense.

That said, one area where it's more interesting than 3D World is that there's a lot more that Kirby can do than Mario can; swallowing enemies and objects and spitting them out, inflating to cover long distances, blocking attacks, etc.. More than that, the attention to detail is quite something. For instance, at first I found Kirby a bit too floaty in that it took an infuriatingly long time for him to land, until I realized that he falls at a normal speed if you press the attack button to make him exhale.

My one main criticism would be that, while the game offering multiple difficulty settings is great, I played on the hardest difficulty setting available and I still found it really easy.

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

My one main criticism would be that, while the game offering multiple difficulty settings is great, I played on the hardest difficulty setting available and I still found it really easy.

This is actually normal for the series, but the bosses should be able to give you an wake-up call.