An update

EricaofRenais

I just wanted to let people know how I was doing.  We finally had my dad's service Wednesday which I had to be in charge of since my mom caught a cold and couldn't go.  My dad was a Mason so he wanted the Masonic service and that almost didn't happen because the person who was supposed to do the service also got sick so I had half a hour where I thought I was going to have to do everything.  Thankfully his lodge had someone else who could do the service.  Anyway I am just happy it is done and my dad can now be a peace.  The one nice thing about all this was I got to see my big sister again after 14 years and meet my sister in law and we have reconnected so I am happy about that, I also saw a cousin and his wife who I hadn't seen in almost as long as my sister.  All in all I am trying to stay upbeat because my dad would have wanted me to try and my mom needs me to be the upbeat one right now.  I am just trying to remember the good times and leave the bad ones in the past.  I will always miss my dad, but I know he would want me to keep going so that is what I am trying to do.

I’m glad that you’re able to find a nice thing about all of this. When I lost a parent, I was able to connect with some really cool family who I otherwise would never have interacted with, or not nearly as much. I found that people in general really helped me feel better in the following months, so if that helps you too, I’d encourage keeping those connections.

I’m also glad that the service was able to be done well and the way he wanted it. I hope you’re able to find some peace, however long that may take.

I'm really sorry about your loss. I'm not very good at giving condolences, but I hope it at least helps a little to know that it's nice to hear from you again, and I wish all the best to you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...