What is a whale?

Icelerate

The smallest known species of whale is the Dwarf Sperm Whale, which weighs 300 to 600 pounds. However, at birth (when the smallest whale is at its smallest), the Dwarf Sperm Whale is around 30 pounds. From this, we can infer that being a whale takes at least (or perhaps no more than) 30 pounds, or 41.17 American dollars.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The smallest known species of whale is the Dwarf Sperm Whale, which weighs 300 to 600 pounds. However, at birth (when the smallest whale is at its smallest), the Dwarf Sperm Whale is around 30 pounds. From this, we can infer that being a whale takes at least (or perhaps no more than) 30 pounds, or 41.17 American dollars.

Drat; I was hoping to make a joke like this, and you beat me to it.

Anyway, I'm not an expert, but I think a person being a whale has less to do with the amount of money spent in-of-itself and more with the mentality; i.e. they are a whale if the game's monetary schemes have managed to hook them.

There's no way to really put in a threshold that isn't in some way arbitrary.

If you pull for a single new +10 for each Arena bonus season and nothing else, you'll end up spending an average of about 1500 USD per month, so that's at least a starting point. I'd say you're definitely a dolphin at 100 USD per month and definitely a whale at 1500 USD per month, but hell if I know where the line between them actually is.

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Anyway, I'm not an expert, but I think a person being a whale has less to do with the amount of money spent in-of-itself and more with the mentality; i.e. they are a whale if the game's monetary schemes have managed to hook them.

You can be hooked and spend only 10 USD per month. You can be not hooked and spend thousands per month. Whether or not you're a whale is definitely based on how much money you spend and not whether you're hooked.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's no way to really put in a threshold that isn't in some way arbitrary.

If you pull for a single new +10 for each Arena bonus season and nothing else, you'll end up spending an average of about 1500 USD per month, so that's at least a starting point. I'd say you're definitely a dolphin at 100 USD per month and definitely a whale at 1500 USD per month, but hell if I know where the line between them actually is.

You can be hooked and spend only 10 USD per month. You can be not hooked and spend thousands per month. Whether or not you're a whale is definitely based on how much money you spend and not whether you're hooked.

$1000 would make a nice and even dividing line, right? Alternatively, $833/month, since that adds up to $10k/year.

Which then raises the question of the lower bound of a dolphin. Maybe $1k/year?

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Fair point. Never mind then.

I've always informally thought of a whale being someone who spends significantly more on the game than they would if it were a subscription game. So, roughly $1000/year or more. Though reading some of the other comments here, I was arguably an order of magnitude off? That's kinda scary.

I spent about $8,000 in my first year of Heroes, and I did not feel like a whale as I only had three 5* exclusives at +10. I have since dialed back a lot, but I still probably spend about $2,000 on Heroes per year since I subscribe to Feh Pass, purchase all Special Orb Packs, and sometimes buy additional normal Orb packs to get the guaranteed summons.

If I spend $2,000 per month on Heroes, maybe I will feel like a whale then.