Jump to content
Icelerate

What is a whale?

Recommended Posts

The smallest known species of whale is the Dwarf Sperm Whale, which weighs 300 to 600 pounds. However, at birth (when the smallest whale is at its smallest), the Dwarf Sperm Whale is around 30 pounds. From this, we can infer that being a whale takes at least (or perhaps no more than) 30 pounds, or 41.17 American dollars.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's a minimum set amount, but chances are, if you're spending literal hundreds to thousands US$ on a celphone video game... it's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The smallest known species of whale is the Dwarf Sperm Whale, which weighs 300 to 600 pounds. However, at birth (when the smallest whale is at its smallest), the Dwarf Sperm Whale is around 30 pounds. From this, we can infer that being a whale takes at least (or perhaps no more than) 30 pounds, or 41.17 American dollars.

Drat; I was hoping to make a joke like this, and you beat me to it.

 

Anyway, I'm not an expert, but I think a person being a whale has less to do with the amount of money spent in-of-itself and more with the mentality; i.e. they are a whale if the game's monetary schemes have managed to hook them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no way to really put in a threshold that isn't in some way arbitrary.

If you pull for a single new +10 for each Arena bonus season and nothing else, you'll end up spending an average of about 1500 USD per month, so that's at least a starting point. I'd say you're definitely a dolphin at 100 USD per month and definitely a whale at 1500 USD per month, but hell if I know where the line between them actually is.

 

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Anyway, I'm not an expert, but I think a person being a whale has less to do with the amount of money spent in-of-itself and more with the mentality; i.e. they are a whale if the game's monetary schemes have managed to hook them.

You can be hooked and spend only 10 USD per month. You can be not hooked and spend thousands per month. Whether or not you're a whale is definitely based on how much money you spend and not whether you're hooked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's no way to really put in a threshold that isn't in some way arbitrary.

If you pull for a single new +10 for each Arena bonus season and nothing else, you'll end up spending an average of about 1500 USD per month, so that's at least a starting point. I'd say you're definitely a dolphin at 100 USD per month and definitely a whale at 1500 USD per month, but hell if I know where the line between them actually is.

 

You can be hooked and spend only 10 USD per month. You can be not hooked and spend thousands per month. Whether or not you're a whale is definitely based on how much money you spend and not whether you're hooked.

$1000 would make a nice and even dividing line, right? Alternatively, $833/month, since that adds up to $10k/year.

Which then raises the question of the lower bound of a dolphin. Maybe $1k/year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You can be hooked and spend only 10 USD per month. You can be not hooked and spend thousands per month. Whether or not you're a whale is definitely based on how much money you spend and not whether you're hooked.

Fair point. Never mind then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say, about > $60-70 a month on the regular. Red flags definitely start to fly if you spend money outside of special promotions or a few subscriptions/start running into financial problems.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always informally thought of a whale being someone who spends significantly more on the game than they would if it were a subscription game. So, roughly $1000/year or more. Though reading some of the other comments here, I was arguably an order of magnitude off? That's kinda scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I believe 1000$ a year is quite dolphin-ish for FEH, given you should take into the 150 you need for FEH pass i'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent about $8,000 in my first year of Heroes, and I did not feel like a whale as I only had three 5* exclusives at +10. I have since dialed back a lot, but I still probably spend about $2,000 on Heroes per year since I subscribe to Feh Pass, purchase all Special Orb Packs, and sometimes buy additional normal Orb packs to get the guaranteed summons.

If I spend $2,000 per month on Heroes, maybe I will feel like a whale then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...