I Need Opinions on the narration of a chapter in my Book.

--ACE--

Hey guys! I came to bother you guys a little more with my book.

So, my book is narrated in the first person, and in other scenes (where the character is not present) it is narrated in the third person.

And in the fourth chapter, the characters end up in a haunted forest, and end up getting separated. And I was thinking about the following: "Since they are separated, instead of narrating only the protagonist in the first person, I could narrate the vision of each character in the first person! And after this forest arc was over, the visions of the others would go back to being shown in the third person."

But then I thought of the following... and if the reader is like, "Hey! Suddenly we see what the other characters think. Why didn't he do that from the beginning instead of using the third person in previous chapters? "

I wanted this to be that unique thing in the chapter, because of the forest. That's why I came to ask for opinions, how would you readers react? Should i do it? Or not?

• 3 months later...

Sorry if I'm late to the party, just got into Serenes Forest now.

I say go for it. RR Martin did this with GoT in multiple characters narrating and it works well for his book. The idea of having different viewpoints is almost as if you were controlling a second character in a video game, take in example controlling ADA once LEON gets hurt in RE2. So if done well it can contribute a lot to the narrative.

2 hours ago, axommharth said:

I say go for it. RR Martin did this with GoT in multiple characters narrating and it works well for his book.

It's been years since I read Song of Ice and Fire novels, but are you sure he had chapters narrating in the first person? I can recall the narrator describing things from the perspective of different characters at times, but I thought it was always in the 3rd person.

Regarding the OP's question (and hopefully this isn't coming too late) I would suggest not jarring the reader's expectations halfway through by suddenly using first person for other people. Just my opinion though - I hope your project is coming along well 🙂

• 1 month later...