New to Roms and Emulators... As well as Serenes Forest. Help!

ShoutyMCNUBBS

Howdy all, apologies if this isn't the right spot to talk in but I've just dropped in and it's probably better to ask people who know what they're doing than to sit around confused and never end up posting. 

That said, I have been playing FE for about 6 years now (Smash Brothers for the Wii U finally sold me on it with Corrin's design and move set, and I played conquest and birthright and loved the gameplay. Since then I've played through Awakening, Echoes, and 3 houses), and while I've been aware of the hacking scene for a bit, and have always wanted to try my own hand at the prospect of forging my own adventures for others to play, I've got no clue where to start with it. Honestly I've never even used emulators before other than a mobile gameboy that was installed on a used and now demolished phone that only had a couple Pokemon games on it.

If anyone could give me assistance with figuring out where to start with these, I'd absolutely love the help. I know its probably a hindrance, but I'm also locked to only using a Mac at the moment, though don't let that stop you from telling me what for and where to go for more help. I'm eager to learn!

26 minutes ago, ShoutyMCNUBBS said:

If anyone could give me assistance with figuring out where to start with these, I'd absolutely love the help. I know its probably a hindrance, but I'm also locked to only using a Mac at the moment, though don't let that stop you from telling me what for and where to go for more help. I'm eager to learn!

Of course!

First off: Emulators. Emulators themselves are perfectly legal, and fortunately, GBA emulation is easy due to both how easy it is to get it working and how they run on a toaster. I don't know which GBA emulator is the best for Mac, but at least with Windows ones, all you have to do is download the emulator. I'd recommend putting it somewhere accessible like the desktop, but you could put it anywhere you want. My personal preference is mGBA, has a mac-compatible version.

ROMs are not legal to get, so I cannot tell you where or how to find them, nor can you ask how to get 'em, but I can assure you that it isn't hard to find them, especially for a console as old as the GBA. Upon downloading a ROM, I'd recommend putting it in a place near the GBA emulator, but that's just personal preference.

To have the emulator actually do something, you have to open it, go to File->Open Rom, then select the ROM you want to use. This should get the game to then run on the GBA!

As for ROMhacks, those get a little more complicated. First off, you have to have the proper unmodified ROM for what the hack says.* Most use FE8, but the hack's page will almost certainly say what version you need. (Most English patches require the US version of either FE7 or 8). After this, you will have to download the patch from the hack's page. This should be a .ups file for GBA. After this, you have to apply this patch to the ROM using a patcher. As with the emulator, I don't know what is best for Macs, but I favor nUPS for Windows. Either way, all patchers should work about the same; select your unmodified ROM under the "File to patch" section and the patch in UPS patch section, and apply away! In theory, when you load the ROM up, it should have the hack on it.

...I know I made it sound more complicated than Kingdom Hearts, but it is quite simple once you do it the first time.

*Some FE6 mods will let you have a translation patch on the ROM, but I've not done any experimenting and usually just use an unmodified ROM for that.

yeah man you can't just say the R-word wtf the fbi is gonna come knocking knock knock whos there its me the fbi

in terms of mac-compatible stuff (as a fellow mac heathen) openemu literally does everything up to the PSP which is pretty cool.

for patching my preferred tool is multipatch which handles both .ips and .ups types and can patch the GBA roms as well as get you into SNES hacks if you're that much of a degenerate

Edited by Roxas