How to redeem a psychopath

RLR_FYE

Tori Nichols from Cobra Kai finally got the dues her character deserved in Season 4.

In her feud with Sam LaRusso, she had some traits that make her sympathetic. She has a sick mother and she lives struggling financially while Sam grew up wealthy and got everything she wanted.

Secondly, it’s not like Sam didn’t have a role to play in their feud what with accusing her of stealing her mom’s wallet right out of the gate and of course, kissing Miguel when he was dating Tori…

Unfortunately that petty feud escalated far too quickly for anyone to think Tori was anything but a psychopath. 
Yeah we are supposed to feel concern an sympathy for Tori being brainwashed by John Kreese because her impoverished background played right into their hands but…

Violently assaulting someone with a weapon because they kissed your boyfriend… TWICE?

By the end of Season 3, you REALLY want to feel bad for Tori but the writers have gone the route of making her an obsessive psychopathic killer out to get Sam.

The first time you could say, okay Tori is a hothead but she was angry and we all do stupid things while we are angry but jeleordizing your chance to support your family at the end of Season 3 by continuing to pick fights with this person? Come on!

So I go into season 4 wondering how else my least favorite character could be more crazy and instead, they give her a compelling character arch where Amanda LaRusso chips away at her tough facade with kindness.

And also, there’s that scene at the end where she sees Terry Silver bribe a judge and is clearly troubled setting up a path of redemption for Tori.

I gotta give props to the writers for giving mg Tori’s  role the much needed layer of complexity it deserves this season of Cobra Kai. 

Redeeming the irredeemable is very difficult to pull off.

I agree, she's definitely more likeable, and I really enjoyed how Sam's mother actually bothered to reach out to her on so many ocassions. You can see her slowly melting away at that facade, and she's definitely improving, and as is Robbie.

And Sam really pushed the envelope a couple of times, even if Tori was no longer the aggressor.

And talking about redeeming psychopaths, you borderline feel bad how Terry Silver played him towards the end.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

Tori was never a psychopath. She has obviously been depicted as a troubled, overburdened teen right from the very start. Psychopaths aren't the only people that commit assault. If she were a psychopath it would have been a planned murder and not a fight in a public place. Frankly she's far too emotional to be a psychopath.

Edited by Jotari