Who do you want to see added to the CYL list?

Jotari

So the only new character added to the Choose Your Legends list this year was the new Heroes original characters. Usually each year they add a few characters that were just missed in the previous years. But this time it seems like they're satisfied that they have everyone of valued. But of course we're nerds who complain on the internet so you bet I'm going to make a thread complaining about the fact that Jiol isn't on the Choose Your Legends list and that he totally deserves to be there even though he'd only get a dozen or so votes. I'm also kind of surprised they haven't added the manakete boss enemies from Shadow Dragon to the list too given how few dragons we have left. I'm sure some of them must be on their radar by now. One of them ate Marth's mother, I'm sure you can get a Forging Bonds out of that.

Aside from Archanea bosses no one cares about, I kind of want the Warriors characters to be added to Choose Your Legends. I don't even particularly like Fire Emblem Warriors, but it does just sort of feel unfair that TMS gets invited to the party because they had a remake at the right time while Warriors is left out in the cold. That being said if they did add warriors how would they handle it? There's only like four original characters in that game. The two leads, their friend and the evil dragon who doesn't even have a human form. Six if you want to throw in the leads' mother and their friends father, which I'm sure they would, but it's a bit of a stretch to make a full list out of half a dozen characters. TMS had to fill out their list with boss characters they probably have absolutely no intention of ever putting in the game. You could fill out the list with the likes of Marth and Corrin and all the other playable characters, but they're like completely the same as their mainline counter parts so it'd basically just be a second place to vote for Archanea, Awakening and Fates characters.

Last thing is that the Cipher characters aren't in the game. The four playable ones could go in Shadows of Valentia, but they're just plain absent. Is that because they're DLC or because they're Cipher. *shrug* I don't know. They could potentially make a dedicated Cipher list, but again you're only going to have like 8 characters in it given that's the total number of original cipher characters are (I think, I have never actually played Cipher myself). Kind of makes me wish they'd just cut out the TMS boss characters and convert that subcategory to an "other" category and include Warriors and Ciphers in it (or don't cut out the TMS boss characters and do that anyway, they probably get more votes than Bloom for reasons that are incomprehensible to me >.> ).

Last character I'll mention that I'd like added is St Elimine, just because almost all the other legends from Elibe are included and she has the artwork ready to use. I'm just not sure IS remembers it exists.

An "Other" category for TMS/Warriors/Cipher/etc does sound sensible to me.

Ullr and Pamela are the first ones that come to mind for me, but I'm sure there are others I've forgotten.

23 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

Other than cipher character, the random Maiden that Chrom "can" marry to in Awakening. She has a head portrait I believe. 

She does indeed. I think this is the one.

Village Maiden Fire Emblem Awakening, HD Png Download - kindpng

She even has a model too!

I absolutely agree that Cipher, Warriors and also the Champion's Blade while we are at it deserve to be votable. I also agree that the Maiden Chrom can marry and Pamela, Ullr, St. Elimine and Jiol are all more notable than some of the characters you can already vote for.

But the biggest and weirdest blind spot in Cyl is Fleche from 3H. Every single other character with a unique portrait is votable (even one-off bosses) but not her when she is at least memorable for her role in Azure Moon. It makes no sense.

Other notable characters missing are:

-Uhai from the Black Fang, and also the rest of the morphs such as Denning and Kishuna,

-Sigune from Binding Blade,

-the three mage sisters, Lamia and Lachesis' knights from Genealogy,

-Pheros (you can vote her TMS version but not her base one), Garrick (same reason as Pheros), Raimi and Old Hubba all from Awakening,

-Cassita, Kotaro and Felicia's dad from Fates (if you can vote the random singer girl every  character with a unique portrait in Fates should be votable),

-that one cat laguz boss Kehzda, just because we need all the laguz we can get. Add Pain and Agony too for the same reason. Heck, add Soan and Reyson's dead sister too even if they don't have designs.

-add Anri, Artemis, Iote, Nada Kuya, all the remaing Crusaders, 8 legends and the legendary founders of Magvel. Add the first exalt from Awakening and the king of Valla. Add Celica's dad and Nergal's wife. Get wild with it. But I better stop before i propose they simply add every boss in the series' history.

8 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Champion's Blade while we are at it deserve to be votable.

Hold up. What's this?

-Pheros (you can vote her TMS version but not her base one)

That's just a really good example of how weird representation is in both Heroes and TMS.

-add Anri, Artemis, Iote, Nada Kuya, all the remaing Crusaders, 8 legends and the legendary founders of Magvel. Add the first exalt from Awakening and the king of Valla. Add Celica's dad and Nergal's wife. Get wild with it. But I better stop before i propose they simply add every boss in the series' history.

I think a lot of them are coming in the future (well maybe not Nada Kuya unless they get really desperate), but I'm not sure sticking them on CYL is the best method. For the most part they just simply don't have artwork or any expressed characters. So to even put them up on CYL would require hiring someone to draw something. Either that or putting a bunch of blank question mark faces into it. I think such characters are better by not being in CYL because then when they do get into the game, they come completely out of the left field and act as a nice surprise.

The biggest problem with characters that don't have face sprites in the games is the fact that they don't have face sprites in the games, even if they have canon artwork of them (like the crusaders, Elimine, and Cipher-exclusive characters). They certainly could use clips from their canon artwork, but it seems like they don't want to do that.

I still find it odd that Natalie can be voted for, but Uhai, Kishuna, and Denning cannot despite being way more interesting and memorable.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

An "Other" category for TMS/Warriors/Cipher/etc does sound sensible to me.

There's nothing wrong with just having a category with 3 characters in it. It might look a bit funny, but it wouldn't cause any problems.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Hold up. What's this?

That's the translated name of the Hasha no Tsurugi manga spinoff of Binding Blade.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The biggest problem with characters that don't have face sprites in the games is the fact that they don't have face sprites in the games, even if they have canon artwork of them (like the crusaders, Elimine, and Cipher-exclusive characters). They certainly could use clips from their canon artwork, but it seems like they don't want to do that.

I still find it odd that Natalie can be voted for, but Uhai, Kishuna, and Denning cannot despite being way more interesting and memorable.

There's nothing wrong with just having a category with 3 characters in it. It might look a bit funny, but it wouldn't cause any problems.

That's the translated name of the Hasha no Tsurugi manga spinoff of Binding Blade.

Ah yes the Al stuff with the half dragon kid who follows Roy around Forest Gump style. At least that's the impression I've been given of it with my passing research. What I would like to see taken from that manga would be a dual wielding Zephiel, but that's not really on topic.

Edited by Jotari

Oh, Cowen isn't on the list. The other other boss in the Reinhardt chapter. I would genuinely vote for him if he were. One of these days one of my old boys in armour with magic will get into the game.

Well, Brigand Boss is on the list, so... every character at least as important as him would be nice to see. In other words: everyone who appears on a map and has a name and portrait.

Then we could meme Batta the Beast or something like that. I'd find that much more interesting than Brigand Boss or even Gatekeeper.

55 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Well, Brigand Boss is on the list, so... every character at least as important as him would be nice to see. In other words: everyone who appears on a map and has a name and portrait.

Then we could meme Batta the Beast or something like that. I'd find that much more interesting than Brigand Boss or even Gatekeeper.

Brigand Boss isn't even that minor. Like, he is a pretty minor character, but he actually does do something in the plot that influences the recruitment of a character. There literally are named characters in the same game as him that are less noteworthy. It's actually a shame (and irrational accuracy to Gaiden) left him unnamed.

They should add Seazas (the boss from Gaiden that got Thanos snapped by Berkut) just because. It'd be funny to have one rando character in the Shadows of Valentia section that's using an NES sprite.

For a more serious response, if they're going include minor bosses from Shadows of Valentia then why include some but not all of them? Why does Lawson get to be on the ballot but not Gazelle?

8 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

They should add Seazas (the boss from Gaiden that got Thanos snapped by Berkut) just because. It'd be funny to have one rando character in the Shadows of Valentia section that's using an NES sprite.

For a more serious response, if they're going include minor bosses from Shadows of Valentia then why include some but not all of them? Why does Lawson get to be on the ballot but not Gazelle?

Jamil isn't on the list and he's actually a minor boss I'd genuinely want to see in the game as he would be a second Upheavel user you can pair with Duma. Preferably as a staff unit.

3 hours ago, Naoshi said:

Don't know if someone has said this one.

Unnamed Dragon from FE7

I could actually see them doing that eventually. Doubt they'll ever put it in the game though, at least nont without attaching it to another character like Nergal or Ephidel.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:53 AM, Jotari said:

Brigand Boss isn't even that minor. Like, he is a pretty minor character, but he actually does do something in the plot that influences the recruitment of a character. There literally are named characters in the same game as him that are less noteworthy. It's actually a shame (and irrational accuracy to Gaiden) left him unnamed.

You can skip his battle. He's not relevant. I agree they should have given him an actual name, though.

2 hours ago, Seafarer said:

You can skip his battle. He's not relevant. I agree they should have given him an actual name, though.

Well sure, but you can skip Nuibaba too and i wouldn't call her minor.

Thinking on this a little more, Good Anankos looks conspicuously missing from the list. The portrait representing Anankos in CYL is just the stone headed one. There's no hooded cobalt hair, even though I'm sure if and when Anankos gets into the game they'll use the cobalt hood hair design as his human form. I'm not exactly what they'd call Good Anankos on the pole, but considering we have two Finns right beside each other, I'm sure they could get away with simply having two Anankoses. Either way it does feel like a conspicious absence. I know it's just DLC and all, but the version of Anankos that is Corrin's father is kind of important.

Also I'd like to see Celica's Father Lima, because he'd be a fantastic character to show off in Forging Bonds. Much better option for a Shadows of Valentia candiate than the dozen or so minor bosses to use to stretch out Gaiden's small roster.

Edited by Jotari

Mark is another character who is still missing from the CYL polls, granted that despite being a rather major presence in FE7 (several FE7 characters do acknowledge his existence like Lyn, Eliwood, and Erk), he lacks an in-game portrait (so that his appearance would be left up to the player's imagination especially since he's the first player character and is from a GBA game) so the only way he could ever get into Fire Emblem Heroes as an actual summon is if IS puts him in (like they did with Altina and Elimine).