Who's the better unit Camilla or Xander?

Throwaway402

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In ConquestRevelation, or Heroes? Which one is better depends on which game you're asking about. And since this is in "General FE", I can't really tell.

I'd say the answer to the question is Camilla in the case of Conquest or Revelation (due to being ridiculously powerful upon join and remaining good for the rest of the game, in either case), while Heroes would require more information... which form of each character are we talking about? And what assumptions (merges, skill availability, content we're using them for) are we making?

Since the game hasn't been specified, I'll be funny and rank them all in their respective appearances.

In Fates, I would say Camilla is better at the virtue of her earlier availability in both paths she's playable in and her being a flier (not to mention how good of a unit she is regardless of whether she's a flier or not; it's just the icing on the cake). She's also one of the best moms in the game, which Xander literally can't compete with.

In Warriors, Camilla outclasses Xander again. Like in Fates, she's available a lot earlier and she's also a flier, meaning she can go over chasms. Also has a really strong moveset and specials that can wipe the floor with enemies in seconds (in my experiences, at least). Xander is also really good, too, but Camilla's advantages as a flier give her the edge.

In Heroes, I would rank each appearance as follows:

Spoiler
  1. Brave Camilla - Of your options, this Camilla is arguably the best. She's a flying healer that was available to get at least one copy of for free whether it was back when she came out or if you're just starting the game recently (I've been playing since launch, so I don't know if they still have the CYL 3 Heroes available to new players, but I think they do), and her refine is really good. She also has some great offensive prowess. Best Camilla.
  2. Camilla - An incredibly easy unit to build thanks to her 3 to 4 Star availability. She also has a decent refine, but since it was one of the earlier ones, it's not as good as some of the refines we have now, but still good in it's own right. I would expect her to get a resplendent sometime in the future. She was also one of the units to get a special summoning movie back when those were a thing (which were reserved for a select few of the launch units; the other units that got these movies were Marth, Young Tiki, Roy, Lyn, Robin, Lucina, Takumi, and Camilla).
  3. Adrift Camilla - Believe it or not, she's in the normal 5 Star Summoning pool. She was also available as a forma unit in the past, so if you built her up well and nabbed a copy, she's not bad at all, espeically if you stack Bond skills with her PRF and use Blue Flame. I have her in my Barracks, and she's not bad at all.
  4. Hostile Springs Camilla - Honestly, I don't think she's a bad unit. If I recall correctly, she was one of the first flying dagger units in the game, so she was able to fill a very unique niche for a while. While you can get her now with Heroic Grails, you were able to get a 5 Star copy for free from the Tempest Trials, not to mention her dagger pairs extremely well with Special Spiral (which she can't use, but other units can paired with her weapon if they inherit it). This last opinion is hella based, but I think her art is actually pretty good.
  5. Summer Camilla - Pretty solid blue flier (and the only blue Camilla). Great offenses and weapon effect. Flier Formation is really good, too. Not much else to say.
  6. Hoshidan Summer Xander - The best Xander you can get, but that's only because he's a dancer. That's about it, really.
  7. New Year Camilla - Not a terrible sword flier (her weapon actually has a marginally helpful effect compared to Summer Xander), but she's a hard unit to come by, so not really worth it, especially since there are other sword fliers that are easier to get (like Caeda, for example).
  8. Xander - An OG GHB unit that has been shafted extremely hard. As such, he's not too hard to come by, but there are better GHB units to use your Heroic Grails on. His refine is really only OK. Such a shame. (I'm seriously surprised that he hasn't even gotten a Legendary Alt yet, like what the hell?)
  9. Summer Xander - why tf did IS think drive atk/spd +1 was a good idea for a weapon effect
  10. Spring Camilla - While not necessarily a bad Camilla, she suffers from the same big problem as Spring Xander; 5 Star-Locked seasonal unit. She was decent back in the day, but she's easily outclassed nowadays, so she doesn't have much going for her besides her art.
  11. Spring Xander - Easily the worst choice of Xander in any game. His statline is atrocious, even for a Gen 1 unit. Thankfully for you, he's only available as a 5 Star-Locked seasonal unit, so your chances of being (dis)graced with his presence are extremely slim.

Honorable mentions to Pirate Veronica and Pirate Hinoka for having Xander and Camilla as their respective backpacks. I'd rank Pirate Hinoka over Pirate Veronica (and therefore Camilla over Xander... again) since Duo skills are generally more versatile than Harmonic skills, not to mention that they have Canto built into their base kit).

I put a lot more time into this than I reasonably should have, but I like making unnecessary analyses about Fire Emblem.

Edited by indigoasis