Gatrie vs Soren

I feel like both are competing for both Celerity and the master crown in 3-4 - Gatrie bc of his poor speed cap and Soren because he caps everything way too early (if you use BEXP to fix his speed issues), so they are worth comparing.  Who do you think uses these resources better?

Edited by Radiant head

Soren has a lower base level and nabs you another staff user, so if you're interested in training him I usually argue for early promotion. Gatrie's unquestionably the better unit, but if you want to train Soren then that's really the best way to go about it. As for celerity, I don't really think either of them want it too much. I'd point you towards giving it to Haar, Reyson, Titania or Ike. Soren's better off running Discipline for quick staff rank increases, and Gatrie enjoys Provoke, Daunt or a passive healing skill.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:50 PM, Brave Lance said:

Soren has a lower base level and nabs you another staff user, so if you're interested in training him I usually argue for early promotion. Gatrie's unquestionably the better unit, but if you want to train Soren then that's really the best way to go about it. As for celerity, I don't really think either of them want it too much. I'd point you towards giving it to Haar, Reyson, Titania or Ike. Soren's better off running Discipline for quick staff rank increases, and Gatrie enjoys Provoke, Daunt or a passive healing skill.

interesting, i feel like the lack of move is annoying in 3-3, 3-4, 3-7, 3-11, and maybe 3-e.  Agree reyson probably uses it better

• 2 months later...

It feels kind of obvious to say Gatrie is at least significantly better. Even if he can't use BEXP as well, he still ramps up Str, Spd & Def really quickly and makes amazing use of the Crown right off the bat. I always felt people exaggerated his mobility, and it's 1 mov behind others... he's still one hell of a jauggernaut.

Soren can match his offense once he gets going, but they'll both 1RKO. Soren is made out of paper and strictly relies on something like Resolve+Ike to reliably dodge stuff.

I do think Soren can be really good (one of the better mages), it's just Gatrie requires a lot less work and doesn't even need supports.

9 minutes ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I always felt people exaggerated his mobility, and it's 1 mov behind others... he's still one hell of a jauggernaut.

Worth noting two other issues:

- As an Armor, it costs him 4 mov to go up or down a ledge, whereas most Beorc can do it in 3.

- Likewise, tall grass tiles cost 3 mov each, versus 2 for most Beorc classes.

Overall, though, if you're having trouble getting Gatrie where he needs to be, just have Oscar/Titania and Haar do a Rescue-Canto-Take-Drop sequence. Moves him way further than anything Celerity can offer.

Anyway, Gatrie is by far the better "juggernaut" unit, while Soren's promotion offers healing utility and a good Rexcalibur user. In case that's important to you.

EDIT: Celerity Soren wouldn't be bad I guess, for wider healing range. But your best user is probably somebody with Canto, so they never lose out on the "extra movement".

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Celerity.