My family's incoming financial crisis

Lord_Brand

Earlier tonight, I received a text from my father's fiancee that the two of them have been seriously sick. My father in particular hasn't been able to keep food or drink down, and was taken by an ambulance to the hospital. A little while later, I receive another text telling me the hospital thinks he has appendicitis and are waiting for a CAT scan.

I told my father that I hope he makes a full recovery, and thanked him for all that he has taught me and for the times he helped me when I needed it. In the hopes of helping him recover, I told him that I love him for probably the first time in fifteen years. In case the worst happens, I wanted to make sure the last words he heard from me were something pleasant.

We've had a long and complicated history with him. As a young child, I loved him as any son should. My parents going through divorce really upset me as a child. Then, at the start of my teen years, I learned things about him from my mother that made me hate his guts. In my late teens, we had to stay at his then-best friend's house and later his parents' house, both of which were extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable times for us (and downright scary in the case of the former for reasons I will not delve into without my mother's consent). Eventually we moved out at my grandfather's insistence and wound up in the apartments where we've lived for the past 14-15 years, which we've been trying to move out of ever since. During those times, our relationship with my father has been a rollercoaster. But for the last 5-7 years, we've maintained a mostly civil relationship with him, largely due to his continued financial support (primarily from the military due to my mother being married to him during his service in the Navy).

UPDATE: Apparently, the actual issue is inflamed bowels, which are being discharged.

UPDATE: My father is now dead. He died close to 11:30 AM on 01/23. May he rest in peace.

UPDATE: Edited at the request of family.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I know how hard it can be seeing family get sick and I am glad to hear that your dad will be ok.  family relationships can be really hard to deal with I hope you can find what works for you and not have any regrets in the long run.

I'm sorry for your loss. I really hope that your family will be able to support one another through these tough times.

Edited by Benice

While this is generally not Serious Discussion material, I'm going to let this one slide as well, due to the timing of the post.  Unless there's a good reason to keep a post like this in Serious Discussion, it'll most likely be moved to General instead.

I am so sorry for what you are going through, I know the feeling a little too well having lost my dad in November.  I hope you are doing ok and can focus on the good memories because that has been what has helped me.

• 4 months later...

I am sorry to hear that things have really taken a bad turn in your life. I don't know if this is the best place to post it (as you probably want to post it in a place that gets higher traffic), but perhaps making a Go Fund Me (or something of the like) to try and get some financial help for your family to get you back on your feet. I just hope you can get enough stability in your life that you can get back to pursuing your dream...

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
Quote removed at poster's request.

I am not sure where you live, but if you are searching for a full time job that is chill and easy, I recommend looking into being a driver for an autoparts store (so you do not have to deal with regular customers as much since you will be driving most of the time). If you live in the United States, I recommend applying to Autozone, Napa, O'Reilly's, etc. From what I heard in my local area and city, they are very short staffed all around, so it should be pretty easy to secure most starting positions they are offering.

At least in my city, there are food banks for people AND pets too. Check your local area to see if you can get free pet food.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

A member of my family has requested that I remove my outburst, so I'd appreciate if everyone here would edit their posts so segments of the outburst don't appear in quotes.

Make sure to tag someone or a mod in case the poster does not visit the Serious Discussion section often. @Eltosian Kadath@eclipse

Take care of yourself and stay strong. Rely on your friends, family, and community if you can.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:50 PM, XRay said:

Make sure to tag someone or a mod in case the poster does not visit the Serious Discussion section often. @Eltosian Kadath@eclipse

Take care of yourself and stay strong. Rely on your friends, family, and community if you can.

Thanks for the ping.  Looks like all quotes were removed.