* Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

* Digimon Survive

* Marvel's Midnight Sons

Edit: How could I forget Advance Wars?

Edit: King Arthur: A Knight's Tale

Edit: Front Mission Remake

And we have rumors for:

* Two Fire Emblem games - 1 new, 1 remake

* Final Fantasy Tactics remaster and Tactics Ogre remasters leaked through Nvidia.

And now we have a confirmed Star Wars tactics game in development, which is making big game of the year claims already. This new studio formed by former Xcom and Civ vets is founded with the goal of upping production values in the genre.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Rumors of Tactic Ogre remasters? I know of the Let Us Cling Together remake for the PSP (from the original SNES title), but I wonder of the other Tactics Ogre titles will be remade.
-- If they ever remake Ogre Battle 64, I'm there before Day One.

I've heard of the FE rumor of a remake title, but not about a brand new one. If I were to guess, they would be readying the remake for release while the new title gets a fancy trailer or something.

As for Triangle Strategy, I still have the original demo downloaded to my Switch, but I never got around to trying it. I've read mixed feelings about it, but apparently some of those concerns were addressed in one of the "Feedback Videos" made by the team.
-- Off-Topic, but I can't shake the feeling they rush out the demo with some of the "missing features" already planned for the full release, and when they read the feedback on things that they "already were gonna implement," they can just say it was due to fan feedback instead of what was already on the roadmap. Of course, the feedback is valuable and can generate new ideas, but I can't help but feel the majority was already discussed at some point during development/testing. The public demo just serves as an indicator of what should be prioritized, I guess.

17 minutes ago, Sire said:

Rumors of Tactic Ogre remasters? I know of the Let Us Cling Together remake for the PSP (from the original SNES title), but I wonder of the other Tactics Ogre titles will be remade.
-- If they ever remake Ogre Battle 64, I'm there before Day One.

I've heard of the FE rumor of a remake title, but not about a brand new one. If I were to guess, they would be readying the remake for release while the new title gets a fancy trailer or something.

As for Triangle Strategy, I still have the original demo downloaded to my Switch, but I never got around to trying it. I've read mixed feelings about it, but apparently some of those concerns were addressed in one of the "Feedback Videos" made by the team.
-- Off-Topic, but I can't shake the feeling they rush out the demo with some of the "missing features" already planned for the full release, and when they read the feedback on things that they "already were gonna implement," they can just say it was due to fan feedback instead of what was already on the roadmap. Of course, the feedback is valuable and can generate new ideas, but I can't help but feel the majority was already discussed at some point during development/testing. The public demo just serves as an indicator of what should be prioritized, I guess.

According to Nate the Hate, it's the other way around. The new FE built off of 3H is an OoT/Majora's mask situation slated this year, while the remake is next year. Bold prediction. Bold, but believable when you think on it.

at least we will have several options for SRPG to play. as opposed to none throughout the year.

i really want IS to surprise us like in early 2017 where they announce several FE project at once. even more so now FE are known to a lot of people compared to that year

i hope triangle strategy really take most of the feedback (the important one) and make it great. since that producer past games (bravely, octopath) keep making good game but also somehow always include one or two big annoying gimmick that actually make people shy away from buying it

I have been waiting for Digimon Survive since its announcement, although I have mixed feelings from gameplay trailer (battle and evolve animation looks really slow, wish we can speed up)

Midnight son looks promising but it's the monetization system that I am worried about.

I am going to wait for PC port of Triangle Project. Like Octopath, the word is just too small on switch lite, even if I switch to chinese it still looks small, and the lighting/art style made it worse.

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Am I really the only person here who was optimistic about what they played in Triangle Strategy? I thought it was very enjoyable, and had the potential to be better than some actual FEs.

Nope! It's my most anticipated game of the year. I was really impressed with the demo, and have high hopes for the full thing.

Don't forget a lot of people are going to be trying out Advance Wars this year. And there's that Metal Slug Tactics game.

Regarding Marvel Midnight Sons, I'm one of those dirtbags that was immediately in for both the developer and the Marvel property, and then out once I saw the card-based combat. As far as I can tell, it's not a case where the cards are just equippable, one-use abilities that you choose for that map. They seem to comprise all of your potential attacks and skills. So is it up to the game's RNG that you get the card you need? That sounds pretty anti-thetical for a Tactics game. The gameplay showcase didn't have accuracy or damage numbers either on that screen, so what sort of choices am I expected to make? And it gets worse when the acquisition of new cards doesn't seem to be tied to that character's level, but some in-game loot box system. Listen, Xenoblade fans might put up with gacha mechanics in their AAA game, but I'm not down with cracking trading card packs. Just let me earn the cards normally.

Furthermore, part of the appeal of XCOM is starting with a band of regular soldiers, and gradually turning them into Earth's mightiest heroes. And here's an XCOM-like game that skips that progression to give you Earth's Mightiest Heroes right from the get go. Even your own create-a-character is some ancient legendary hero that once defeated the bad guy. The biggest saving grace is the explorable hub area. I don't know if it'll have the same tasty progression as XCOM's base building, but it's a fully explorable environment where you can chat with guys like Ghost Rider and Blade? Heck yes. 

35 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Don't forget a lot of people are going to be trying out Advance Wars this year. And there's that Metal Slug Tactics game.

Regarding Marvel Midnight Sons, I'm one of those dirtbags that was immediately in for both the developer and the Marvel property, and then out once I saw the card-based combat. As far as I can tell, it's not a case where the cards are just equippable, one-use abilities that you choose for that map. They seem to comprise all of your potential attacks and skills. So is it up to the game's RNG that you get the card you need? That sounds pretty anti-thetical for a Tactics game. The gameplay showcase didn't have accuracy or damage numbers either on that screen, so what sort of choices am I expected to make? And it gets worse when the acquisition of new cards doesn't seem to be tied to that character's level, but some in-game loot box system. Listen, Xenoblade fans might put up with gacha mechanics in their AAA game, but I'm not down with cracking trading card packs. Just let me earn the cards normally.

Furthermore, part of the appeal of XCOM is starting with a band of regular soldiers, and gradually turning them into Earth's mightiest heroes. And here's an XCOM-like game that skips that progression to give you Earth's Mightiest Heroes right from the get go. Even your own create-a-character is some ancient legendary hero that once defeated the bad guy. The biggest saving grace is the explorable hub area. I don't know if it'll have the same tasty progression as XCOM's base building, but it's a fully explorable environment where you can chat with guys like Ghost Rider and Blade? Heck yes. 

No, no. I genuinely agree with every word you just said. The card mechanics made me deeply hesitant on this game, and I think I might pick it up only at a deep discount. I applaud the experimentation and hope it's better than anticipated, but cards aren't for me.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

No, no. I genuinely agree with every word you just said. The card mechanics made me deeply hesitant on this game, and I think I might pick it up only at a deep discount. I applaud the experimentation and hope it's better than anticipated, but cards aren't for me.

Agreed. I don't wanna spoil anybody's fun. It can just be frustrating when such a cool idea is thrown in your face with a huge caveat weighing it down. It could end up having a lot of heart and consideration put in that we don't see in that one gameplay trailer. Heck the last Marvel game can be cited as a rare case not to judge a game based on that first demo. Perhaps the reasoning behind a card-based battle system is they don't want a game where the player slips comfortably into the same strategy for every battle. Most tactics games get awfully repetitive when the game isn't forcing you to try out new skills and units, leaving all the unique scenarios up to the map design with limited success. So you could at least look at the card thing as forcing you to make new short term plans for every turn. These are big time superheroes who aren't used to taking orders, so the strategy will be in responding to their ideas (cards), rather than providing your own ideas. I just don't want to be in the position where I need a basic attack or healing skill and not get it from the card draw.

Another upcoming one I forgot about. King Arthur: A Knight's Tale enters full version 1.0 release on Steam in March (with PS5/Xbox Series releases at an unknown date) and is essentially dark fantasy XCOM in which you play as Mordred and must save Britania from an undead King Arthur. No random misses or dodges, Roughly 30 recruitable characters. Early Access Steam ratings sit at Very Positive, so it's one to keep an eye on.

it looks like a DnD style game at a glance with gameplay mechanic similar Divinity:OS except uses grid turn-based. cool and interesting, altho a bit too gloomy/dark for my taste. hopefully will sell like other DnD style game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Another month another 2022 SRPG announced. This one's coming to everything. Not a whole lot of unedited gameplay to judge. Between the real time elements and manual aiming of abilities, it looks like a game that would control like a MOBA. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of it. Real time strategy with chokepoints is a recipe for disaster if the pathing isn't perfect. I'd know, having played a really bad game called Confrontation. You'd be surprised how often even a mere 4 units can obstruct eachother's pathing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Another month another 2022 SRPG announced. This one's coming to everything. Not a whole lot of unedited gameplay to judge. Between the real time elements and manual aiming of abilities, it looks like a game that would control like a MOBA. 

It looks cool, but the maps are little bit too small and are alike for me to call it an strategy game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IGN got an exclusive look at Marvel's Midnight Suns. And while it doesn't look nearly as bad as a certain other game they got an exclusive look at recently, its new details didn't assuage my fears surrounding the game. It's card based battle system cannot be influenced by the player, and you can in fact get a hand of cards that completely excludes one of your party members. In that scenario they have absolutely nothing to do but consume your party's one movement action (also...what?). The onscreen UI seems to suggest you get up to two card redraws, but the commentary neglected to mention that important detail. Party size is a maximum of three, so I kept my eyes out for each shot of a battle where you have three units. And in every one of them, the player character was there, leading me to wonder if your player character is a forced deployment on any map where you get to choose.

There was also no further insight provided on the in-game "lootbox" system whereby you acquire new items. The developer told us last year in a tweet that the game's microtransactions will be purely cosmetic, but this IGN preview makes no mention of the system at all and how it impacts your loadout. Maybe the demo they played on excluded it? If Gran Turismo 7 is any indication, Developers are not above hiding their microtransaction economy with a totally false build for reviewers to review the game on. And a year-old tweet isn't exactly legally binding either. 

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

6 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

IGN got an exclusive look at Marvel's Midnight Suns. And while it doesn't look nearly as bad as a certain other game they got an exclusive look at recently, its new details didn't assuage my fears surrounding the game. It's card based battle system cannot be influenced by the player, and you can in fact get a hand of cards that completely excludes one of your party members. In that scenario they have absolutely nothing to do but consume your party's one movement action (also...what?). The onscreen UI seems to suggest you get up to two card redraws, but the commentary neglected to mention that important detail. Party size is a maximum of three, so I kept my eyes out for each shot of a battle where you have three units. And in every one of them, the player character was there, leading me to wonder if your player character is a forced deployment on any map where you get to choose.

There was also no further insight provided on the in-game "lootbox" system whereby you acquire new items. The developer told us last year in a tweet that the game's microtransactions will be purely cosmetic, but this IGN preview makes no mention of the system at all and how it impacts your loadout. Maybe the demo they played on excluded it? If Gran Turismo 7 is any indication, Developers are not above hiding their microtransaction economy with a totally false build for reviewers to review the game on. And a year-old tweet isn't exactly legally binding either. 

Yeah, I just stopped caring about this game the moment they said cards. It does not look good. Oh well. Between this and Gotham Knights locking my favorite Beyond costumes behind a $90 edition.... I no longer have Oct/Nov vacation plans. And SGF hasn't been helping.