Lost luster?

FailWood

One aspect of Pokemon that I felt lost it's way in more recent generations is Shiny Pokemon.  With Game Freak continuing to add ways of making them easier to find, they don't feel special anymore compared to the 1 in 8192 odds of finding one back in the older generations.

What do you think of this?  Do you think Shiny Pokemon are still worth being excited for, or do you think they've become too mainstream and lost their luster?

Honestly, I don’t think making them easier to find is bad what makes them lose their luster if people cheating/hacking and then selling them. Nothing like grinding out a shiny for who knows how long just for someone else to buy it. Shit… Pokémon has gone “free to play”.

43 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Honestly, I don’t think making them easier to find is bad what makes them lose their luster if people cheating/hacking and then selling them. Nothing like grinding out a shiny for who knows how long just for someone else to buy it. Shit… Pokémon has gone “free to play”.

There's people who do that?  And here I thought the people who shiny hunt for god knows how long while posting videos saying "OMG, I FOUND A SHINY!" had no life.

I've always had the mindset of "If it happens it happens.", so I've never tried shiny hunting.  Doesn't feel organic or genuine compared to having that 1 in 8192 encounter actually happen.

3 minutes ago, FailWood said:

There's people who do that?  And here I thought the people who shiny hunt for god knows how long while posting videos saying "OMG, I FOUND A SHINY!" had no life.

I've always had the mindset of "If it happens it happens.", so I've never tried shiny hunting.  Doesn't feel organic or genuine compared to having that 1 in 8192 encounter actually happen.

Depends on the person, one of my friends like to shiny hunt but now that he can just buy them of Amazon he has entered the mindset of why bother.

I have personally found 4 shinies in my entire Pokémon gaming. Not including forced shiny or ones gotten thru trades.

45 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I have personally found 4 shinies in my entire Pokémon gaming. Not including forced shiny or ones gotten thru trades.

Not counting forced shinies or ones I've gotten from trades, I've found 7 in my history with Pokemon.  I've even seen Norman give Wally a shiny Zigzagoon for that catching tutorial in Emerald.

3 minutes ago, FailWood said:

Not counting forced shinies or ones I've gotten from trades, I've found 7 in my history with Pokemon.  I've even seen Norman give Wally a shiny Zigzagoon for that catching tutorial in Emerald.

My first shiny was a Absol in sapphire, heck I hadn’t even seen a normal one when I found it.

40 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

My first shiny was a Absol in sapphire, heck I hadn’t even seen a normal one when I found it.

My first was a Zubat in FireRed.

To list off the others: A Gastly in FireRed, a Paras in FireRed, a Geodude in Diamond, a Tentacool in Emerald, a Sudowoodo in Platinum, and a Rockruff in Ultra Moon.

18 minutes ago, FailWood said:

My first was a Zubat in FireRed.

To list off the others: A Gastly in FireRed, a Paras in FireRed, a Geodude in Diamond, a Tentacool in Emerald, a Sudowoodo in Platinum, and a Rockruff in Ultra Moon.

The other 3 for me are a Beduw in diamond, a Yanma in Colosseum and a Meowth in shield.

The whole thing with shinies has been lackluster over the years for the reasons mentioned. The concept of "Shiny Hunting" is way over my head, but props to the people who can sit there and do that monotonous crap. I have Masuda breed a few mons that I think their shiny colors were cool like Mareep, for that glorious Shiny Mega Ampharos.

It's funny that in Legends Arceus there's a quest that gives you a forced Shiny Ponyta since that was my first shiny when I played Pearl back in '06. I also got one in Y version in one of the Friend Safaris.

I did find a Shiny Bedoof in Legends Arceus, but it's not like I'm going to be fishing for shinies.

I'm not opposed to the steps that have made it easier to find Shinies. What I generally dislike, however, are "event Shinies". Like, being able to download a shiny version of a legendary Pokemon. It being shiny at 100% odds doesn't feel special, it just feels lame.