AnonymousSpeed's Rapid Rebalance

AnonymousSpeed

I've said FE6 is a good game many times in the past, and I stand by that opinion. It's been subject to a bevy of rebalance patches, but I never thought the game was as broken as the fandom at large seemed to. However, my resentment of a "fixing what isn't broken" mindset is outweighed by desire to produce cheap, low-effort internet content for superficial engagement with strangers. Besides, as much as I like it, I think FE6 could benefit from a few small changes, so I booted up FEBuilder and threw this together in three days.

It's barely been tested and may remain so forever, but if you're willing to give some feedback (either design feedback or bug reports), that'd be lovely. This patch is based off an older translation patch, which has upsides and downsides. On one hand, I prefer "Zelots" to "Jerrot" (and "Zealot" to both of them). On the other hand, I'm glad the thief isn't named "Astolfo".

This link will take you to the location of the patch and a description of all the changes: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16BIKEihPI9gnwy3RmyiZqYC1YCVoXXl5?usp=sharing

For best results, apply the patch to a clean, unmodified copy of FE6, Japanese text and all.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

lol no

Well I'm not sure how often I'll sink time into this, since I'm in the middle of other FE games, but I'll totally play through this when I'm not in the mood for FE7, which is luckily pretty often. I tried the first chapter and everything seems to be pretty good. I appreciate Roy having an iron sword by default (and the rapier doesn't shatter instantly like a 3H crest weapon), and Bors definitely appreciates not being stuck with lances, since his big problem in FE6 is just being bad against the early game fighters he's meant to shield you from by wielding lances. He's actually really helpful now, almost disturbingly so. I'll probably try to see if I can use all the armor knights this time around. I've always wanted to try that, and how can I say now to Bors the Sword General. It'll be like S rank sword Brom all over again. I noticed that Wolt starts with 7 speed, which is kinda funny but unnecessary since base Wolt carried me last time. Personally, I would've increased weapon hit rates by 10 over 5, but doing that would probably lessen the impact of the weapon triangle, and the unit changes detail a lot of fighters gaining skill. I'll report more as I go along. Now I have to decide who to use. It'll probably be those mainly affected by the changes, which isn't too many, unlike some patches that will re-invent the entire roster's stats. To my knowledge, many changes have mainly increased things that serve to increase hit rates, like the boss avoid bonus debuff, more skill on units, people joining with more accurate or convenient weapons, and stat buff are mainly for units that are particularly falling behind right at join time, mainly with slight speed buffs. And of course, weapon ranks are improved, because this isn't Thracia. Although fliers using knight seals does sound rather silly, but master seals sound promising at least. Thanks for the patch. 

What have you actually changed?

EDIT: Ah, I see you have the changes in the link...screw you for making me go to another web page. Reading through it now.

Hit/Avoid bonus/penality from WTA/WTD has been changed from 10 to 15

This I like for how it puts more focus on dodge tanking, which is the secret advantage of Binding Blade's low hit rates.

All staves give 3 wEXP per use

All weapons give 3 wEXP on kill

More wEXP in this game is definitely a plus, especially on staves

Avoid bonus from gates and thrones reduced from 30 to 20
Coward.

All axes (except armads) gain +5 hit

Honestly axes aren't that bad, just their users.

Iron, Steel, Silver, and Slim Lances gain +5 hit

So swords are left the same hit wise? I feel like this is just making the weapons more samey. Or just like more standard Fire Emblem. Which I don't like.

Flux is now E rank (this literally does not matter)

But appreciated for the OCD.

Divinestone now has 50 uses

Definitely a plus. A character you can only have fight 30 times is a massive tease.

Rapier now has FE7/FE8 stats

That makes it significantly better, right? Well better early game Roy is a plus.

Rapier/Halberd/Horseslayer are now effective against nomads, nomad troopers, troubadours, and valkyries

Basically mandatory for every patch imo.

Devil Axe now has 120 hit

Good incentive to use the Devil Axe, though I still never will. Still, defintely an interesting way to take axe characters.

"Lightning" has been changed to "Light" because I keep writing "Lightening" instead and my friend in med school keeps making pregnancy jokes
Probably what it should be to begin with, as LIghtning sounds too much like it should be a thunder tome.

All supports now grow at a rate of +4 per turn unless otherwise stated

Slow as ass supports slightly less slow is good.

Yoder, Dayan, and Juno's supports grow at a rate of +8 per turn

I'll still only use one of them.

Karel's supports grow at a rate of +20 per turn
Karel has supports? Well I guess Idoun's map counts as seperate which lets him get a full three maps in, unlike SHadow Drgaon's Michalis who only has two base conversations to fill out his support list.

Generals can now use swords

Personally I'd rather bows so they can snipe wyverns.

Swordmaster skill cap raised from 29 to 30

Will that make any difference?

Thieves can now promote to Rogues using an Orion's Bolt

Rogues are a 7 move class using swords and bows- they have thief utility and a crit boost, you have to promote a thief to use one

I suggest making Cath a base rogue. Because she sucks as she currently is.

Fliers now promote using a Knight Crest

Elysian Whips have been replaced by Master Seals

You don't have to replace the ELysian Whip. You can turn any dummy item into a Master Seal as far as I remember.

Lord and Transport recieved changes which are detailed with changes to Merlinus and Roy

You spelled received wrong. This I will hold against you.

Chapter 3 now has an additional chest containing a Devil Axe
Lilina has been moved to the safe square in Chapter 8 by default
Roy's talk conversation with Lilina now gives you a Light tome
Keeping Tate's squad alive in Echidna route now gives a Knight Crest, but you get a Master Seal in Bartre route

Chapter 16 now has two additional chests, one containing a Spear and the other containing a Runesword

No real opinon on any of these.

Galle now has a white gem you can try to steal

I hope you made sure Rogues can still steal.

Murdoch, Zephiel, and Brunnya now have Master Seals to steal instead of their previous promotion items
The only promotion item sold in Secret Shops is Master Seals
Some units have had their starting inventory changed, which is detailed in their "Unit Changes" section

Hard mode bonuses for chapter 3 reduced from 5 to 4

Hard mode bonuses for chapter 5 reduced from 6 to 5

Chapter 7 is still hell then?

Dory has recieved the following nerfs: -3 Strength, -2 Speed, -1 Defense
Henning has recieved the following nerfs: -1 Strength, -2 Speed

Henning deserves more buffs, I say. Let him wield Durandal I say. Let all the Gaiden bosses wield the legendary weapons!

Unit changes

I see you're playing around with weapon ranks, giving unique weapons to people like Lillina and Wendy that deviate from class. That's kind of cool, I guess. Makes Guinevere feel less like hacks at the very least.

Can Lalum or Elffin use their brave sword? Or is it just a way of giving a free brave sword?

Giving Merlinus enough boss kills sound like he could steam roll the game. Though I guess if literally every stat starts at 1 it means he's only going to be 20 for everything by end game, which is pretty weak and in fact makes him seem kind of not worth it at all. 100% growths isn't that great when your bases are literally that low.

Edited by Jotari

On 2/7/2022 at 5:32 PM, Shaky Jones said:

I'll report more as I go along. Now I have to decide who to use. It'll probably be those mainly affected by the changes, which isn't too many, unlike some patches that will re-invent the entire roster's stats.

Thanks, be sure to let me know how everything plays. Hopefully you enjoy some of the units which you get in Chapter 2.

I didn't want to make too many changes or do anything overly drastic or high effort. I mostly wanted to touch up a few units I found underwhelming or interesting-but-not-quite-interesting-enough, rather than reinvent the roster, as you so accurately put it. Please enjoy.

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

EDIT: Ah, I see you have the changes in the link...screw you for making me go to another web page. Reading through it now.

Forgive me, but it was more convenient to do it this way.

This I like for how it puts more focus on dodge tanking, which is the secret advantage of Binding Blade's low hit rates.

The actual inspiration was to make sure sword users had the same amount of avoid against axe users as Vanilla, but hey, uh...whatever works.

Coward.

Honestly axes aren't that bad, just their users.

So swords are left the same hit wise? I feel like this is just making the weapons more samey. Or just like more standard Fire Emblem. Which I don't like.

Y'know, you may be right. Perhaps I have erred an given in to the masses instead of working toward the unpopular good. That's definitely a possibility, I may come to agree with you in playtesting, and I would hate to fall into the pit of making FE6 into FE7.

Lances in particular got +5 hit buffs to the basic weapons just so they wouldn't have the same hit as basic axes.

That makes it significantly better, right? Well better early game Roy is a plus.

+2 might and doubled uses, which I consider a significant buff when combined with its new effectiveness.

Good incentive to use the Devil Axe, though I still never will. Still, defintely an interesting way to take axe characters.

Yeah, but as you implied, I may have done a little too much to fix their hit rate issues. I definitely think boosting Wade's skill was the right call, though.

Probably what it should be to begin with, as LIghtning sounds too much like it should be a thunder tome.

Also agreed.

You don't have to replace the ELysian Whip. You can turn any dummy item into a Master Seal as far as I remember.

I'm sure you can, and it's probably quite easy to do, but I wasn't immediately aware of how so I decided against it. "Rapid" rebalance, after all.

You spelled received wrong. This I will hold against you.

Oof darn.

I hope you made sure Rogues can still steal.

Did I do the thing that should make them able to? Yes. Did I test that it works? No.

Chapter 7 is still hell then?

Absolutely. Maybe should've done something about that, since I would say it's the hardest chapter in the game and the one I would definitely call "obnoxiously difficult", but I figured the better archers and devil axe and general buffs would make it a bit more manageable as is.

I see you're playing around with weapon ranks, giving unique weapons to people like Lillina and Wendy that deviate from class. That's kind of cool, I guess. Makes Guinevere feel less like hacks at the very least.

Can Lalum or Elffin use their brave sword? Or is it just a way of giving a free brave sword?

Giving Merlinus enough boss kills sound like he could steam roll the game. Though I guess if literally every stat starts at 1 it means he's only going to be 20 for everything by end game, which is pretty weak and in fact makes him seem kind of not worth it at all. 100% growths isn't that great when your bases are literally that low.

Yeah, Lilina needed something to set her apart, but I didn't actually want to make her, like...good. So I took inspiration from Guinevere and figured I'd make her a pseudo-monk, a light magic user with high resistance.

No. It's just a way of giving you a Brave Sword in time for the later Western Isles maps.

So Merlinus OP or still bad? I mean, I mostly just wanted him to be interesting. He's the one unit I think nobody ever deploys, so I decided I would be willing to make more extreme changes to him in particular. He's definitely a gimmicky unit but hopefully a fun one.

EDIT:

Re: Cath

I could make her a Rogue, but I don't really feel the need to. I think her role is to be a replacement thief for the later parts of the game, and she fills that role well simply by being able to use lockpicks. Maybe it'd be fun, I'll think about, especially if you get one of every other promoted class throughout the game. Which I think you do?

Will that make any difference?

No, but it's stylish.

6 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

Shoutout to the SM skill cap going to 30, it hurts my eyes so much to see it cap at 29

See, this guy gets it.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

4 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, Lilina needed something to set her apart, but I didn't actually want to make her, like...good. So I took inspiration from Guinevere and figured I'd make her a pseudo-monk, a light magic user with high resistance.

I honestly don't think Lillina is really that bad. She's not as good as Lugh, I grant, and like a lot of units in the game you have to put effort into her initial levels, but she does hit like a tank pretty quickly and isn't bad as far as magic users go generally in the series. Or even that bad compared to other units you have access to. She's just not OP. Giving her light magic will fix her biggest issue, which is that she has accuracy problems. It might also help her double.

So Merlinus OP or still bad? I mean, I mostly just wanted him to be interesting. He's the one unit I think nobody ever deploys, so I decided I would be willing to make more extreme changes to him in particular. He's definitely a gimmicky unit but hopefully a fun one.

Well you did make him distinct at least, but I'm not sure about fun. He's kind of like a super Est, even though you get him early game. Dealing poor damage until you can get him snow balling, but even then that snow balling doesn't come out to be worth it. At least that's the way it looks. I'd have to play test it to see (which I won't do in the immediate future, I've a tonne of games to play right now).

I could make her a Rogue, but I don't really feel the need to. I think her role is to be a replacement thief for the later parts of the game, and she fills that role well simply by being able to use lockpicks. Maybe it'd be fun, I'll think about, especially if you get one of every other promoted class throughout the game. Which I think you do?

You don't get a Wyvern Lord naturally, as both Zeiss and Miledy start as Wyvern Knights. Unless you want to count Narcian and Galle as characters you get given their existence as trial map characters.

18 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Thanks, be sure to let me know how everything plays. Hopefully you enjoy some of the units which you get in Chapter 2.

Well as of right now I'm in chapter 6, and my boys Wade and Lot are really putting in the work. Its especially helpful when I'm not missing every halberd hit like I would in the og game, but the hit rate can still get shaky at times, mainly when you try to fight nomads. Chapter 4, while not nerfed like 3 and 5, felt so much easier for whatever reason. Roy's rapier definitely played a part. I've had it broken by then sometimes, and the extra might really helps makes that map not become a chokepoint session at the beginning. Actually rushed and took out almost everyone a full turn before rutger appeared. The most obvious biff of the patch so far is just bors. Having a 50% speed growth, and his ability to use swords and lances makes him like a 2nd jagen of yiu give him a few kills in the first 3 chapters. I've thrown him in large crowds of enemies and he just doesn't die. Unsure whether I should be grateful or ask for some balance, because damn does he make the early game easier. He hasn't even been getting insane growths. Obviously, I've used the devil axe a few times. Its too good to resist. I can't just get one and ignore it. Good stuff. Granted, I hardly rely on it, but it works when you're in a pinch and death is the only alternative, or if you just want to pointlessly gamble. That 120 hit. While I never found chapter 3 that tough, I suppose you nerf them a bit to make training a little easier. I do appreciate the slight chapter 5 debuffs. That one can get tedious when they gang up on you in numbers, mainly the mercs. Still challenging, but gave enough breathing room to where it wasn't sit on the 2 starting forts all day. While I do feel that chapter 7 should probably get nerfed a little, I think the rest of the game will be quite manageable as far as enemy stats go, expect for a few bosses here and there. Occasionally I do wish bows had more accuracy since archers dont get a weapon triangle bonus, and wolt's starting accuracy isn't that great. 75 hit isnt bad per se, but no ability to make it any higher is a little annoying when others can reach greater odds from the weapon triangle. I might also just be used to modern archers tending to be the more accurate units, but I want Wolt kills dammit! Also, I didnt even notice Marlins having weapons until chapter 4. Whoops. Unsure if I'll use him, but I dod get a chuckle from "The Books".

On 2/8/2022 at 12:25 AM, Jotari said:

Rapier/Halberd/Horseslayer are now effective against nomads, nomad troopers, troubadours, and valkyries

Oh right. Yeah, that definitely made chapter 4 easier. 

"Lightning" has been changed to "Light" because I keep writing "Lightening" instead and my friend in med school keeps making pregnancy jokes

Well hopefully you got something out of that. Don't know why it wasn't always called Light.

Swordmaster skill cap raised from 29 to 30

Finally!

Y'know, you may be right. Perhaps I have erred an given in to the masses instead of working toward the unpopular good. That's definitely a possibility, I may come to agree with you in playtesting, and I would hate to fall into the pit of making FE6 into FE7.

Oh God. Not that. 

I really am enjoying any hit rate increases, given my absolute awful luck in fire emblem, so I sure appreciate axe buff hit rates, but I see the issue of making the weapons feel the same. I feel like the weapon triangle is mostly enough to help, but I suppose the later half of the game filled with lance enemies will make swords typically bad again. Hard for me to think of a solution, especially since I actually am someone who finds axes hard to use in the og binding blade, and used swords more than any other weapon just so i can have better hit rates. It really was that bad on my end. Maybe the better weapon triangle effects will discourage that.

Absolutely. Maybe should've done something about that, since I would say it's the hardest chapter in the game and the one I would definitely call "obnoxiously difficult", but I figured the better archers and devil axe and general buffs would make it a bit more manageable as is.

I'll get back to you on that later.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, Shaky Jones said:

While I do feel that chapter 7 should probably get nerfed a little, I think the rest of the game will be quite manageable as far as enemy stats go, expect for a few bosses here and there.

I'll get back to you on that later.

If you haven't gotten back to it yet, my recommendation would actually be to stay close to the starting area for a little bit. The cavalier reinforcements don't show up for a while, and the map is more manageable when you don't draw the wyverns early.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:54 AM, Jotari said:

Giving her light magic will fix her biggest issue, which is that she has accuracy problems. It might also help her double.

But Light isn't actually more accurate than Fire.

Well hopefully you got something out of that. Don't know why it wasn't always called Light.

I got trauma.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

If you haven't gotten back to it yet, my recommendation would actually be to stay close to the starting area for a little bit. The cavalier reinforcements don't show up for a while, and the map is more manageable when you don't draw the wyverns early.

Well I have beaten it. Only 7 though. Way easier than I though. The wyverns were weighed down enough where Wolt could double, and the killer bow Dorothy starts with is accurate and light enough where they were easy to wipe out. Did plenty of trading with it using Dorothy and Sue. As for Treck, Roy's extra move made him suprisingly quick to reach. Had exactly enough tiles without needing rescue drop tactics. The main issue I have with ch 7 is that there's simply too many enemies in the beginning together. Bors made tanking the right side way easier, but the left side was still mostly dodgetanking. Used Lance and Lot. Lot actually didn't need to dodge. He was that tanky. But Lance did take sone luck. Still unsure how you'd beat this chapter with zero luck. But, the odds are in your favor since they have 20 hit with Javs in grass, and the hack did technically increase accuracy. Either way, I'm glad the chapter was easy enough on its own. I still believe the axe boys are the biggest reasons why. Having +10 hit from the base +5 and weapon triangle from Lance wielding cavs makes them easy to OHKO with the halberd and the knights easily go down with hammer. Sure you could technically do this in the vanilla game, but the extra hit rate and skill growth of Wade and Lott make it feel more reliable imo. Being able to train them throughout the game makes their strength here a lot easier to achieve here than in vanilla FE6. Taking out the reinforcement cavs felt a lot easier. I feel like the only real issue is that doubling the wyverns can be pretty rng dependent on growths and steel bows are still super innacurate given that they can't get a weapon triangle advantage. I mainly would just reduce the wyvern's speed by 1 as a minimal change if you can adjust stats independently. If not, then id be okay with either no changes or -1 to enemy stats depending on whether you still want the chapter to be real tough or not.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I got trauma

Oh...sorry to hear that.

33 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Okay, but who's going to use it?

What. You dont give Niime 3 angelic robes and give her your nosferatus?

3 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Niime can use magic? Huh, I thought she was staff locked.

(this is a joke)

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Okay, but who's going to use it?

Ni-

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

I mean, yeah. Pretty much. You could use Raigh too- he gets some buffs in this patch.

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

Oh...sorry to hear that.

It's fine, I consider it a "spicy memory".

I don't necessarily think you need to be consistently doubling the wyverns, since they're supposed to be fairly intimidating enemies, but it's good to see the axes and killer bow are working more-or-less as intended. I'll be sure to keep this feedback in mind if I ever make a revision.

13 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't necessarily think you need to be consistently doubling the wyverns, since they're supposed to be fairly intimidating enemies, but it's good to see the axes and killer bow are working more-or-less as intended. I'll be sure to keep this feedback in mind if I ever make a revision.

True. You could do without it, but it sure helps, especially when I miss at least once every turn. Oh yeah, I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I haven't been using Rutger or Diek. Unsure how much impact they have on ch 7, but maybe its worth pointing out since everyone calls them OP units or something like that.

As for chapter 8, there's not much to add. The chapter is mostly the same. Its never been much of a hard chapter. The main feature it has are the good ol Barthe squad. Ogier definitely seems stronger, and his armorslayer actually destroys armor knights, although i dont remember how he did originally. I personally only used him for 1 armor, since I was more interested in trying to feed kills to axe Wendy. Yeah, still hard as heck. Definitely easier to feed her Goomba kills, but the damage she deals with a sword at base is still laughable. Of course, I wouldn't change her bases any further, since that's just a part of the Wendy experience, but more speed does make her easier to use than...someone I cant think of. As of right now, I've benched a few units and am kinda going for a bow run. Anyone who can use bows is cool. Lot and Wade can when promoted and rouges will too. I'll still use one of each other weapon focused class for the sake of legendary weapons, but that's probably it. Barthe's major skill boost gave me a chuckle, and him having an axe does help against lance enemies. It is a bit sad that Wendy not having lances made her practically incapable of fighting mercs, but I can see why swords and axes were chosen. +2 speed is really helpful on her, even though she still gets doubled sometimes. Classic Wendy. It was funny that even with the accuracy buffs, the boss of chapter 8 is super dodgy. I used Zealot (Jerrot) with a hammer (weapon triangle), and my hit rate was within the 40s. Granted, in OG Fe6, I tried with Marcus for 28 hit. Great boss. To be fair, its partially on me for not using any mages so far, but its annoying that their defense is so high that you can only realistically hurt him with a hammer which naturally isn't accurate. It doesn't need to be, because armors aren't dodgy, except in this case. Don't really have any complaints on the unit changes. I guess as someone who likes ogier, I did see the buffs as somewhat unnecessary, but I suppose he's usually compared to Diek, even though I saw him more as a Caesar to your Ogma. Weaker bases, higher growths, replacement for if Ogma/Diek died or just got complete blanks. I believe you made his strength growth 55. Thats nice. Barthe almost feels like a prepromote with 16 defense and really good strength. Kind of fits with the idea of Ogier and Wendy being the basic units that need training to surpass him. 

I also just realized I missed the convo to talk to lilina fir the light tome. I'll get back to ya tomorrow with an edit after I load a save state of the chapter I made when rigging the hammer hit to the boss, since I was not going to waste 10 turns trying to land hits. Might as well test if the dialogue works and how her light tome animation plays out.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Niime can use magic? Huh, I thought she was staff locked.

Damn. The elderly are disrespected yet again.

13 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I mean, yeah. Pretty much. You could use Raigh too- he gets some buffs in this patch

To Raigh or to Sophia. Tough choices. 

14 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I haven't been using Rutger or Diek. Unsure how much impact they have on ch 7, but maybe its worth pointing out since everyone calls them OP units or something like that.

They're pretty solid units. Rutger with hard mode bonuses is very bueno.

It is a bit sad that Wendy not having lances made her practically incapable of fighting mercs, but I can see why swords and axes were chosen. +2 speed is really helpful on her, even though she still gets doubled sometimes. Classic Wendy.

I didn't want to actually debuff characters in any way, but I really liked the triangle that those weapon options formed, so Wendy is the only character to actually lose any functionality compared to vanilla. Hilarious, Wendy OP please nerf. That said, if you think that's too inhibiting, I'll make swordreaver D rank.

It was funny that even with the accuracy buffs, the boss of chapter 8 is super dodgy. I used Zealot (Jerrot) with a hammer (weapon triangle), and my hit rate was within the 40s. Granted, in OG Fe6, I tried with Marcus for 28 hit. Great boss. To be fair, its partially on me for not using any mages so far, but its annoying that their defense is so high that you can only realistically hurt him with a hammer which naturally isn't accurate.

Did you try the armorslayer?

15 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

To Raigh or to Sophia. Tough choices. 

Indeed. Raigh is more conventionally buffed, while I think this patch should really amplify the Sophia Experience.

21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I didn't want to actually debuff characters in any way, but I really liked the triangle that those weapon options formed, so Wendy is the only character to actually lose any functionality compared to vanilla. Hilarious, Wendy OP please nerf. That said, if you think that's too inhibiting, I'll make swordreaver D rank

Nah. That seems like too much of a specific change. Besides, you're asking for a hard time if you commit to Wendy. There's plenty of balance patches that try to make every unit equal, but I like the imbalance of this game. I mean, that's half of the joy of replaying DSFE to me. A bit of balance is appreciated, don't get me wrong, but I get not wanting to debuff characters, or giving people +2 to most stats. You mainly increased skill and speed on units that have their fun factor hindered from being doubled. I don't mean to say this to put down other patches. Rather, I'm saying that I appreciate the idea of this particular one being the minor patch that mainly just makes things slighty more fun. I guess changing the weapons of armor units is a big change, but it is fun. The triangle is appreciated, and I am still pissed off at Eliwood having a sword in FE7 and failing to have the triangle of weapons, even though he literally uses lances in FE6 post game maps.

Did you try the armorslayer?

Honestly, I just found out that the armorslayer has the same might as a hammer. You think it'd be higher. However, I don't think it would drastically change hit rate. Given you gaining 15+ hit with the hammer, and losing 15 with the sword, you'd only really be gaining 5 hit. Rutger probably could've used it well, but I don't remember if he risk's a crit. Yeah, I messed up a little, but I still believe an armor boss with so much dodge this early in the game is a bit ridiculous. Although I don't think it's possible to specifically reduce his dodge without entirely removing his speed, which seems over the top. There's no real turn count rush, so I guess it's not a big deal.

Oh yeah, I went back to get the light tome. I did turn 2 of 8x with linde to see if the light tome works. It does. Cool, but I don't really plan on using her. I also tested out promoting Chad with an orion's bolt to see him use bows, aka the best stat. No problems there, but I've yet to test if he can still steal. I reset back to keep him in basic for a while longer, but I'll test out stealing if I see an enemy early in a chapter with an item. Thank goodness rogues get 3 defense because Chad still only has like 2 even 12 levels in. No, I am not dropping him for the 2nd thief.

Indeed. Raigh is more conventionally buffed, while I think this patch should really amplify the Sophia Experience.

I have to go with Sophia. Although I am questioning who my forblaze user will be. I know Wendy with Armads would be great, and Treck seems to be the top contender for the Maltet. Maybe Hugh? I believe you made him a prepromote, so it'd make sense to test out a unique patch unit change. Thanks for giving Sue an orion's bolt btw. Gives me more room for my army of bow users, especially since thieves use them too. I wonder how many I'll end up needing from the secret shop. 

How could I have forgotten. You nerfed Henning. Yeah, I kinda just killed him. Like, that's it. Zealot destroys with a silver lance, and his extra hit makes it not much of a problem to land hits. Henning could get a crit, but the nerfed strength made it so he still couldn't kill, whereas a crit with a steel blade in the original could kill Zealot even at full HP, unless you got some lucky levels. Gave the kill to Sue. 2 less speed gave a few of my units a fighting chance, even Treck. This isn't to say he became a joke, but I sure wasn't attacking and retreating with Lugh for 5+ turns like in the original, or banking on Rutger getting a crit, only to get crit'd himself with his poor luck.

Edited by Shaky Jones

5 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

There's plenty of balance patches that try to make every unit equal, but I like the imbalance of this game.

I don't mean to say this to put down other patches. Rather, I'm saying that I appreciate the idea of this particular one being the minor patch that mainly just makes things slighty more fun. I guess changing the weapons of armor units is a big change, but it is fun.

Thanks. It was definitely my goal for the game to remain more-or-less the same kind of experience as it was, which is why Sofia doesn't actually have any buffs to her base stats. An imbalanced cast is part of what makes FE6 itself, after all.

No problems there, but I've yet to test if he can still steal. I reset back to keep him in basic for a while longer, but I'll test out stealing if I see an enemy early in a chapter with an item. Thank goodness rogues get 3 defense because Chad still only has like 2 even 12 levels in. No, I am not dropping him for the 2nd thief.

Excellent, your playtesting efforts are invaluable and appreciated.

Maybe Hugh? I believe you made him a prepromote, so it'd make sense to test out a unique patch unit change.

Yeah, Hugh might actually be kinda busted now. He has solid stats and weapon ranks, which...is fine, maybe? It might get someone to pay full price for him at least.

Henning could get a crit, but the nerfed strength made it so he still couldn't kill, whereas a crit with a steel blade in the original could kill Zealot even at full HP, unless you got some lucky levels.

Uh.

Yes, this. Clearly intentional. I am very smart and deliberate.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Excellent, your playtesting efforts are invaluable and appreciated.

No problem. Just tell me if there's anything in particular that you want me to test out that you think could be buggy or too OP/garbage to leave in.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Uh.

Yes, this. Clearly intentional. I am very smart and deliberate.

Of course you are. You recognized the exact stats of your favorite game and balanced a boss so cleverly! Congrats Quickster! How does he do it?

Haven't made too much relevant progress, but Wendy certainly went differently then my first time around...

Spoiler

eUPMwQ1.png?1

JxLKzUu.png?1

She was lvl 2 when the map started. Giving me swords with an armor knight was a mistake.

Don't worry. I started the B route for my man Bartre. Haven't gotten him just yet, but at least Wendy's doing pretty well.

HjSVRvU.png?1

Point of this is, giving a unit swords really makes a unit in this game, at least in the first half where axe users are everywhere. Who says swords are bad? 

I wonder what'd she be like without the %10 growths. Sometimes I forget she's hardly even a growth unit.

I miiiight have gotten Lilina killed getting Gonzales, but does Roy really care? He's got like, 5 side chicks.

It is funny seeing Gonzales having 100 hit because of the devil axe buff. Still risky, but I honestly wasn't going to reset if he bashed himself in the head. But now I can paint a sad tale of Lilina dying to show Gonzales the cruelty of brigands, sparking his motivation to stand up against his bully, aka boss. 

While I haven't started chapter 11B just yet, I do find it odd seeing your bard/dancer have a brave sword on them. Sure, it's nice to have, but it feels almost distracting. I'm not necessarily objecting to having an extra brave sword in the game, but I do feel that this is a little too early, especially when ranks go up faster in the hack, and braves are only at B rank in the GBA games. It's also odd just imaging the person who can't fight just holding one for no real reason, except maybe they just found it nearby before heading off to give it to Roy. I think it'd make more sense to be an extra item on a chest like you did with the devil axe in chapter 3, like in chapter 12 or 12x. It'd be more natural that way. If you don't like that idea and think the sword should stay around that part of the game, then you could have Cath hold it in 12. She steals all the time and can use swords, even if she wouldn't be able to wield it immediately. It'd be fitting. If she had it on that chapter, you could see it as a reward of going through talking to her on the first 2 encounters without just straight up killing her early on. These are just suggestions though.

One last thing, I found some odd visual effects with the rogue class.

Spoiler

B0Qs7XF.png?1

K0cKjUZ.png?1

At first, I was considering the idea that maybe it's supposed to do that, and it's just some weird looking slash, but it wasn't like that when he promoted on turn 1 on 2 occasions. But then rarely on my attempts to test him out for about 8 minutes

mCVzIwd.png?1

It just goes Giygas mode. I tried several things, but I don't think save states or speeding up the game is the cause. It just happens. It's no big deal, as the game doesn't slow down, have audio glitches, or crash. It's just an odd visual on the map. I doubt anyone will complain if there's no way to remove it. The actual battle animations work just fine. Just felt like bringing this up.

21 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

No problem. Just tell me if there's anything in particular that you want me to test out that you think could be buggy or too OP/garbage to leave in.

Of course you are. You recognized the exact stats of your favorite game and balanced a boss so cleverly! Congrats Quickster! How does he do it?

Haven't made too much relevant progress, but Wendy certainly went differently then my first time around...

Hide contents

eUPMwQ1.png?1

JxLKzUu.png?1

She was lvl 2 when the map started. Giving me swords with an armor knight was a mistake.

Don't worry. I started the B route for my man Bartre. Haven't gotten him just yet, but at least Wendy's doing pretty well.

HjSVRvU.png?1

Point of this is, giving a unit swords really makes a unit in this game, at least in the first half where axe users are everywhere. Who says swords are bad? 

I wonder what'd she be like without the %10 growths. Sometimes I forget she's hardly even a growth unit.

An extra 10% strength growth should average to her having only one extra point of strength by level 11. Did you drop an energy rin on her? Because even going from 8-12 in levels 10-14 seems highly blessed. Her average strength at level 14 should be 9 in the base game and 10 with the buff to her growths (assuming her bases are the same, can't be assed to go back and check that now, either way a jump of four points in four levels seems very lucky).

21 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:
  Hide contents

B0Qs7XF.png?1

K0cKjUZ.png?1

At first, I was considering the idea that maybe it's supposed to do that, and it's just some weird looking slash, but it wasn't like that when he promoted on turn 1 on 2 occasions. But then rarely on my attempts to test him out for about 8 minutes

mCVzIwd.png?1

It just goes Giygas mode. I tried several things, but I don't think save states or speeding up the game is the cause. It just happens. It's no big deal, as the game doesn't slow down, have audio glitches, or crash. It's just an odd visual on the map. I doubt anyone will complain if there's no way to remove it. The actual battle animations work just fine. Just felt like bringing this up.

I know how to fix that glitch. Can't remember the exact term, but it's because the idle animation isn't set to match the Rogue's class. Idle animations play at different speeds so you not only have to use the correct image but the correct [thingy with an acronym that I can't remember now]. It's accessible from the same screen on Fire Emblem GBA builder as where you select the idle sprite sheet for the class. A drop down menu. Rogue isn't in Binding Blade, but if you check Sacred Stones you can see what other classes its idle animation syns up with.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

An extra 10% strength growth should average to her having only one extra point of strength by level 11. Did you drop an energy rin on her? Because even going from 8-12 in levels 10-14 seems highly blessed. Her average strength at level 14 should be 9 in the base game and 10 with the buff to her growths (assuming her bases are the same, can't be assed to go back and check that now, either way a jump of four points in four levels seems very lucky

You're talking to the guy who got at least 4 really good levels with fe12 bantu that didn't involve level rigging and capped Darros's speed. I'm pretty sure this is just my thing. I get blessed with these kinds of units. Heck, my Meg tends to be better than Nolan by the end of part 1. 

Wendy is a good unit, man. Just trust me.

Should I just be happy that mine is doing so well, or do I ask Speed man to increase her strength even more, because her strength was pretty dissapointing for a while. and mine being far from average does not bode well for those that want to see their Wendy's get good. 

Her base stats are mostly the same, aside from a boost of +2 in skill and speed. Strength is the same.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

know how to fix that glitch. Can't remember the exact term, but it's because the idle animation isn't set to match the Rogue's class. Idle animations play at different speeds so you not only have to use the correct image but the correct [thingy with an acronym that I can't remember now]. It's accessible from the same screen on Fire Emblem GBA builder as where you select the idle sprite sheet for the class. A drop down menu. Rogue isn't in Binding Blade, but if you check Sacred Stones you can see what other classes its idle animation syns up with.

Yay. An answer to an issue. That rarely happens!

On 2/20/2022 at 3:35 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, Hugh might actually be kinda busted now. He has solid stats and weapon ranks, which...is fine, maybe? It might get someone to pay full price for him at least.

I just want to say that I always pay Hugh the full price. And I don't believe I've ever killed him. Might be the optimal thing to do, sure, but I love him too much to do that.

2 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

The secret is to never buy Funko Pops. I mean. It's natural talent. I am very blessed.

While I haven't started chapter 11B just yet, I do find it odd seeing your bard/dancer have a brave sword on them.

Perhaps it is. The idea was this item is essentially a gift. I did intend for it to show up before starting Chapter 12, because I think the Western Isles is the last place opportunity the Brave Sword has to really be a star player. I can't imagine it being quite as good once you leave the axe-heavy part of the game.

Glad Wendy turned out alright.

One last thing, I found some odd visual effects with the rogue class.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I know how to fix that glitch. Can't remember the exact term, but it's because the idle animation isn't set to match the Rogue's class. Idle animations play at different speeds so you not only have to use the correct image but the correct [thingy with an acronym that I can't remember now]. It's accessible from the same screen on Fire Emblem GBA builder as where you select the idle sprite sheet for the class. A drop down menu. Rogue isn't in Binding Blade, but if you check Sacred Stones you can see what other classes its idle animation syns up with.

Very nice, I'll be sure to work on that. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just want to say that I always pay Hugh the full price. And I don't believe I've ever killed him. Might be the optimal thing to do, sure, but I love him too much to do that.

Well there's the "Saint" in Rubenio. Don't worry. I'll use him this time around.

The secret is to never buy Funko Pops.

Of course. How did I not see that?

Perhaps it is. The idea was this item is essentially a gift. I did intend for it to show up before starting Chapter 12, because I think the Western Isles is the last place opportunity the Brave Sword has to really be a star player. I can't imagine it being quite as good once you leave the axe-heavy part of the game.

Funnily enough, I didn't even touch the thing in that chapter, but it does feel rather help in 12, given that squad of fighters and possibly the sniper if you don't have anyone who can quickly wipe them out. That said, I think it's better if you get it later. It's be better not to have it be super powerful, or it could break any balance the difficulty has going for itself. I'd either suggest it being in chapter 12x or chapter 16, depending on how early you think it should be in.

I really did not like the boss of chapter 11B. The actual chapter is mostly fine. I restarted once, but I was rushing a bit and had poor planning of which units I split up. But when you get to the end, the boss just throws far too many turns' worth of reinforcements, and it's where ambush spawns get ugly, since they just keep appearing, and you can't block where they're at, or maybe you can, but it's not obvious to predict where. I'm not sure if this was made to have you rush the boss, but it felt like it just wants to make you wait them out from a distance, which would be, as Cath would probably say, cringe. Of course, I refused to wait them out, but trying to fight the boss while enduring them is so annoying, and the boss's stats are really high. Chad is one of my best units. 15 strength (somehow), max speed, 17 skill (accurate), and he could only deal a fourth of the boss's health with an armorslayer, couldn't double, and only had about a 53 hit chance. My better odds was a light brand that can double and does 10*2, but that was around 40 accuracy. Point is, it took like 7 turns to kill the boss, and units like Roy could die in one battle if a merc spawns out of my units and just shoves Roy. Zelot can't do much, since he only did 3 damage with a silver lance, the hammer won't land (and still doesn't even do much damage), and the guy has a horseslayer. I don't know if killing the boss stops ambush spawns, but I'd probably recommend nerfing that guy. That and/or stopping the reinforcements who appear beside him from being summoned on the same turn if you can do that for certain portions of enemies. I'm not sure what would help the most, but I do feel like that portion at the end just feels unfair. The chapter itself was fun though, and I got big guy on my team. Of course, Lot is way tankier with 14 defense, but literally half of Bartre's strength. Wade is strong, but needed a speedwing just to reach 10 speed, making him equal to Bartre there. Maybe I'll consider Bartre as the Barst of the trio to fill the dsfe loving void in my heart that is totally mine.

Spoiler

UAOxdpz.png?1

Chad can still steal and open chests.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:52 PM, Shaky Jones said:

Funnily enough, I didn't even touch the thing in that chapter, but it does feel rather help in 12, given that squad of fighters and possibly the sniper if you don't have anyone who can quickly wipe them out. That said, I think it's better if you get it later. It's be better not to have it be super powerful, or it could break any balance the difficulty has going for itself. I'd either suggest it being in chapter 12x or chapter 16, depending on how early you think it should be in.

Maybe. 12x has plenty of chests to change to a brave sword (not the chest key chest, of course). Yet I'm unsure, because the Brave Sword is supposed to be really helpful in Chapter 12. I don't know, I'll have to check how much I think it breaks it myself, I guess. I do think 12x is a better place for it than Chapter 16, though.

I really did not like the boss of chapter 11B. The actual chapter is mostly fine.

That's be Robin's kid, yeah? I'll look into it.

15 strength (somehow), max speed, 17 skill (accurate), and he could only deal a fourth of the boss's health with an armorslayer, couldn't double, and only had about a 53 hit chance.

He's got a 50% strength growth and low con. I'm not entirely surprised.

I'll see what I can do about Robin Jr. though. It really is sounding like I'll have to be more deliberate about playtesting.