Conquest Ironman: Ballisticians and Witches Take to the Sky!

Magenta Fantasies

This is my first time doing an Ironman run!

Difficulty: Normal Classic

Name: Celestin

Boon: + Resistance

Bane: - Luck

Talent: Sky Knight

Here are some of the specifications:

-I will not restart any map unless Celestin dies. Each time he dies, I will randomly select a character to permanently bench.

-Buying skills and using any of the My Castle features are perfectly fine.

-I am not starting at Branch of Fate, since I don’t want to lose valuable experience gathered.

-All characters that will be used for combat will be immediately reclassed at the first opportunity. The female characters who will not be Falcon Knights will be Witches. The male characters who will not be Falcon Knights will be Ballisticians.

-Characters who are not these three classes can be used to produce children, but can have minimal to no exposure to combat.

-Given the nature of this Ironman, DLC can and will be used. However, deaths will not count in DLC maps that do not yield EXP.

-Anna will be used, as well as any second-gen units I see fit. No captured units are allowed.

Screenshots are coming soon!

For the most part, I'll cover one chapter per post. Since the pre-Branch of Fate chapters are so short, I'll include multiple chapters per post. It seems silly to post three short posts in a row.

1222819752_CelestinStats.JPG.09b651fe927bebeadee008cd6d204a92.JPG

I prefer using female Corrin to male Corrin, though I do love both as characters and only prefer female Corrin by a small margin (as opposed to Robin, where I like male Robin much better than female Robin.)

I wanted to create a +Resistance Corrin. I’ve never used this before, and Corrin naturally has higher defense and lower resistance. The +Resistance Boon will help bolster his resistance. In my Classic Birthright playthrough, I used a +Defense Corrin, which was one of the best decisions I made. He was a true tank! This was especially helpful in Birthright, since very few characters in Birthright can fill that role.

Prologue

1941084612_ConquestPrologueGroup.JPG.afc4e4832a7d5f443daae8b815622b08.JPG

I find it odd that characters like Nyx, Benny, Keaton, Kaden, and Hayato who aren’t affiliated with either royal family are part of this battle. At this point in the plot, they wouldn’t have any reason to get involved. I forget if I looked at all the characters the first time I played Fates. I don’t think I did; I wanted to avoid spoilers.

Chapter 1

191409147_ConquestChapter1Leo.JPG.ed2f0a290985bca38e1f5087842e0e3a.JPG

I had to look closely to see if Leo’s collar is actually turned inside out or not. It truly is! I’ve played through Fates several times and never noticed the stitching on his collar, and what I presume is the back of the Nohr symbol embroidered on his cape, are visible. I love it when game developers add these minuscule details.

146169503_ConquestChapter1Siblings.JPG.c7c012636ceb0bd7b69949bcad33f0f3.JPG

Scenes like this remind me why I like the Nohrian royal family so much more than the Hoshidan royal family. Ryoma and his siblings lack the warmth and camaraderie of the Xander and his siblings. I greatly prefer the Nohrian royal siblings as characters (Ryoma is the only Hoshidan royal I wholeheartedly like) as well as their supports and story scenes.

871292202_ConquestChapter1Jakob.JPG.2efc3d6645e6fb81fdeb9c61cf8c4ec8.JPG

This is the reason I usually don’t play as male Corrin. It’s not that I don’t like Felicia—she’s among my favorite characters in Fates—it’s that I like Jakob even better. This game isn’t the same without my devoted and snarky butler, who also tends to be a better unit than Felicia. However, in this playthrough, I suspect Felicia will be better as a Witch than Jakob would be as a Ballistician or maybe a Falcon Knight. It’s hard to be a bad Falcon Knight in Fates. Good bye until we meet again!

Edited by Magenta Fantasies

47 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

1941084612_ConquestPrologueGroup.JPG.afc4e4832a7d5f443daae8b815622b08.JPG

I find it odd that characters like Nyx, Benny, Keaton, Kaden, and Hayato who aren’t affiliated with either royal family are part of this battle. At this point in the plot, they wouldn’t have any reason to get involved. I forget if I looked at all the characters the first time I played Fates. I don’t think I did; I wanted to avoid spoilers.

Its funny to think about a game spoiling itself...

49 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Scenes like this remind me why I like the Nohrian royal family so much more than the Hoshidan royal family. Ryoma and his siblings lack the warmth and camaraderie of the Xander and his siblings. I greatly prefer the Nohrian royal siblings as characters (Ryoma is the only Hoshidan royal I wholeheartedly like) as well as their supports and story scenes.

The warmth the Nohrian sibling share is what makes that big choice they are building up to so compelling. They treat Corrin like a sibling they care about, and it sells this conflict between what makes people family, the bonds on blood, or the bonds that were formed; nature vs nurture in family form. Unfortunately latter parts of both routes utterly drop the ball on this well setup conflict, but that is another topic entirely...

50 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

who also tends to be a better unit than Felicia. However, in this playthrough, I suspect Felicia will be better as a Witch than Jakob would be as a Ballistician or maybe a Falcon Knight.

People underestimate Felicia's combat capabilities. Once she has some means of using her magic to attack, she becomes a series combat threat. To be fair most people end up waiting for the Flame Shuriken, which leaves her mostly useless until midway into chapter 12.

14 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

-All characters that will be used for combat will be immediately reclassed at the first opportunity. The female characters who will not be Falcon Knights will be Witches. The male characters who will not be Falcon Knights will be Ballisticians.

Ah yes, Ballisticians.

I used one in my Hard playthrough that also got Replicate, which was about as good as you'd think it was for the little time I had it in practice.

(I may be taking advantage of Warp on Azura in Lunatic though)

13 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

191409147_ConquestChapter1Leo.JPG.ed2f0a290985bca38e1f5087842e0e3a.JPG

I had to look closely to see if Leo’s collar is actually turned inside out or not. It truly is! I’ve played through Fates several times and never noticed the stitching on his collar, and what I presume is the back of the Nohr symbol embroidered on his cape, are visible. I love it when game developers add these minuscule details.

Now I'm trying to figure out if that's him inverting his top of just a separate piece for the collar.

And if the former is the lining on the bottom of his shirt the same on both sides?

On 2/7/2022 at 11:26 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The warmth the Nohrian sibling share is what makes that big choice they are building up to so compelling. They treat Corrin like a sibling they care about, and it sells this conflict between what makes people family, the bonds on blood, or the bonds that were formed; nature vs nurture in family form. Unfortunately latter parts of both routes utterly drop the ball on this well setup conflict, but that is another topic entirely...

People underestimate Felicia's combat capabilities. Once she has some means of using her magic to attack, she becomes a series combat threat. To be fair most people end up waiting for the Flame Shuriken, which leaves her mostly useless until midway into chapter 12.

I agree with both points. One of the reasons I dislike Birthright's storyline is that the Hoshidan siblings don't interact as often with Corrin, compared to the Nohrian siblings in Conquest.

That's probably because Felicia is quite weak in combat until she gets the Flame Shuriken, which is difficult to get in Conquest. I've heard she makes a great Strategist, but I have yet to use her in that class. For the same reason, I presume she would probably make an excellent Witch.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, Dayni said:

Ah yes, Ballisticians.

I used one in my Hard playthrough that also got Replicate, which was about as good as you'd think it was for the little time I had it in practice.

(I may be taking advantage of Warp on Azura in Lunatic though)

Now I'm trying to figure out if that's him inverting his top of just a separate piece for the collar.

And if the former is the lining on the bottom of his shirt the same on both sides?

Replicate on a Ballistician is so fun! I had Ballistician Takumi with Replicate in Birthright, and he was fantastic. However, I had to be very careful about where I deployed him, due to his low defense and movement, and the original and the replica share a HP bar.

Chapter 2

1815604737_ConquestChapter2-Rinkah.JPG.17a8c362ef2a3bdb4c89d5175ab343df.JPG

I would be curious to know how Kaze and Rinkah returned to Hoshido. I have several headcanons about their journey home. Nohr is not hospitable territory to travel through, and its citizens would be even less hospitable to two enemy Hoshidans traveling through their land.

Chapter 3

1366724553_ConquestChapter3-Hans1.JPG.e46bf0cb27a03c3312598113397ef9a1.JPG

Hah! As if.

391669677_ConquestChapter3-Impenetrable.thumb.jpg.0e43c0cbb9443db1b5714d92c0aec4e3.jpg

Impenetrable, huh? Let’s penetrate this bee-yotch!

Call me stubborn or defiant, but every time I play this chapter, I take the hard route and storm the fortress in the northeast corner of the map. There’s no tactical advantage to this (other than gaining some experience,) but I get satisfaction out of doing it.

944659999_ConquestChapter3-Impenetrable3.JPG.9d6ce6fd2c62783c053882bbea012573.JPG

This is why I hate Hans. He goes out of his way to make the main character’s (and the player’s) life harder, even when it is detrimental to him. Now Celestin and Gunter have to (temporarily) retreat to heal since Felicia can’t come close enough to heal them. Forget Hans. I’m going to move and let him Leroy Jenkins himself to death since he wants to so badly.

1879955011_ConquestChapter3-Impenetrable4.JPG.f90782382382229329e02b367cfff334.JPG

Penetration successful!

810996550_ConquestChapter3-Impenetrable5.JPG.09b4ef772f226f791ce5cb1f69aa75d6.JPG

What a bizarre enemy attack range grid.

1224305284_ConquestChapter3-Impenetrable6.JPG.78797efdb788f651ae53660894feae36.JPG

Penetration complete! Take that, Gunter! Now onto the fortress in the lower half of the map. It has a cool design when examined closely.

970168487_ConquestChapter3-HoshidanFortress.JPG.a3ea4d927f02d06b4f40f65f0d0e3df2.JPG

807128020_ConquestChapter3-Hans2.JPG.9d9abf29d2467d89a7749d09d80d05fd.JPG

I never understood why Hans wanted to kill Gunter and Corrin here. Garon’s plan to assassinate Queen Mikoto would fail if Corrin died before reaching Hoshido. This is part of why I question whether Garon truly intended to have Corrin bring Ganglari to Hoshido for it to explode and kill Mikoto. I hope that was his intention, because if it is, he’s a brilliant villain. Assassinating the ruler of a rival kingdom who has a barrier around her kingdom that causes invaders to lose their will to fight is no easy task.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, Magenta Fantasies said:

Call me stubborn or defiant, but every time I play this chapter, I take the hard route and storm the fortress in the northeast corner of the map. There’s no tactical advantage to this (other than gaining some experience,) but I get satisfaction out of doing it.

I kinda know what you mean, as I tend to attack that little formation from the other side for funsies on most runs.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, Magenta Fantasies said:

I never understood why Hans wanted to kill Gunter and Corrin here. Garon’s plan to assassinate Queen Mikoto would fail if Corrin died before reaching Hoshido.

My theory is that the plan is not for Hans to kill Corrin, but simply knock him into the Bottomless Canyon (which the Gangliari tries to continue with after Hans is driven off), where Anankos can turn Corrin into a vessel to be used. Then the Anankos-Corrin can pull off the Assassination far more willingly.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, Magenta Fantasies said:

It’s hard to be a bad Falcon Knight in Fates.

Unless your name is Subaki that is. Honestly, I think he needs great fortune to be worthwhile in the long term.

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 4:19 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

I kinda know what you mean, as I tend to attack that little formation from the other side for funsies on most runs.

My theory is that the plan is not for Hans to kill Corrin, but simply knock him into the Bottomless Canyon (which the Gangliari tries to continue with after Hans is driven off), where Anankos can turn Corrin into a vessel to be used. Then the Anankos-Corrin can pull off the Assassination far more willingly.

That's an interesting theory! I wonder how much Hans and Iago know about Anankos.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:30 AM, Shadow Mir said:

Unless your name is Subaki that is. Honestly, I think he needs great fortune to be worthwhile in the long term.

I've heard several people say Subaki is a lackluster unit, but I loved using him in my Birthright playthrough. He was my second-best pegasus knight after Hinoka. I enjoyed having a slower but sturdier pegasus knight (usually they're too frail for my tastes,) and he doesn't have the crippling low resistance of Scarlet.

Chapter 4

The early game chapters in Fates are fairly fun. I don’t mind playing through them each time, which is part of why I don’t use Branch of Fate. This is another chapter where I like to take the most difficult route possible. While Ryoma makes a beeline for his sisters, I lure the Faceless to me and defeat them one at a time.

1548113427_ConquestChapter4-1.JPG.7895446574fb4936f12d9c4d6829e44f.JPG

22 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

I've heard several people say Subaki is a lackluster unit, but I loved using him in my Birthright playthrough. He was my second-best pegasus knight after Hinoka. I enjoyed having a slower but sturdier pegasus knight (usually they're too frail for my tastes,) and he doesn't have the crippling low resistance of Scarlet.

Bold: Seriously? Um... were you using only two...? Because that's the only way I could possibly see that as being true. Well, without either a lot of luck or a lot of stat boosters.

A bit of a random side-note here, but it looks like you are still uploading images directly to SF. You might want to look for an image hosting site which offers more space than the 10 MB that SF gives you. I know I burned through most of that space on my first screenshot LP, and needed to get one before I was done with it. I think Imgur and imgbox are fairly common (although I have been using google photos, which I cannot recommend as tricking it into acting an an image host is very finicky).