Nintendo Direct 2.9.2022 Thread (Feb 8th at 2 PM PT / 5 PM EST)

King Marth 64

Nintendo just announced a new Nintendo Direct will be coming tomorrow at 2 PM PT / 5 PM EST. In the description that it's going to be roughly around 40 minutes focused on Nintendo Switch games launching in the first half of 2022.

For my hopes and wishes that I really like to see in the Nintendo Direct is:

1. Any new Fire Emblem announcement (either remake or a brand new game since we haven't got a brand new announcement since Threee Houses ad Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light rerelease for English)
  2. Probably new Nintendo IPs
  3. Maybe that third console part that was shown in the Database for the NSO Expansion Pack (my guess it's possibly be TurboGrafx-16 Online since Sega Genesis Online became the first 3rd Party Console service to NSO)
Edited by King Marth 64

Here's my hopes/predictions:

We get the new, non-remake Fire Emblem as per Nate the Hate's leak/prediction.

Omegaforce has a clean slate again, as the last known Warriors game (Twink Swordboys Muso- ahem... Touken Ranbu Warriors) gets its Japanese release next week. Maybe we get the next one in the direct. Is it Fire Emblem? Maybe. But if I were a betting man, I'd say it's Pokemon. Pokemon Musou is the sort of game you want to rush out before the Switch's lifecycle ends, so you can double dip with a sequel in a few years or so.

Xenoblade 3 is announced, and it looks and plays way better than 2.

P.S.

Also, Nintendo, let Camelot out of the Mario Sports mines. Come on.... be cool.

A new Nintendo direct? Interesting.

My Hopes:

1. BOTW2 news.

2. A Fire Emblem announcement; be it a new game or a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War, and if the latter, the trailer shows that they learned from the mistakes of Shadows of Valentia (i.e. actually know what kind of remake you actually want to make)

3. Xenoblade X Switch port is announced, with the promise of Xenoblade X-2 if the port sells well enough.

4. Grezzo (the people who made Ocarina of Time 3D and Link's Reawakening) announce their new game.

My Predictions:

1. More information about that 3D Kirby game.

2. Xenoblade 3 is announced, and it is Xenoblade 3 and not Xenoblade X-2.

Hoping for Oracle Zelda remakes. Those are two of my favorite Zeldas, I'd love to see them remade on Switch in either the ALBW or LANS styles. For that matter, I'd like to see OoT and MM remade for Switch, too. Although a surprise remake of the original two NES games would really throw players for a loop.

Fire Emblem Warriors 2 or a new Nintendo Warriors game would be really cool.

Some DLC for Mario Party Superstars, maybe even an expansion outright. Five more boards, new playable characters, perhaps the return of costumes.

A Pokemon Master Stadium game that serves as a remake/sequel to Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 for N64.

Wouldn't it be incredible if they announced an N64 Classic? Not likely since they're trying to sell the NSO Expansion Pass, but an N64C would provide customers with an alternative option for N64 games without bloatware or Genesis library attached, and - crazy idea - might have properly-functioning emulators and no altered code that causes the games to lag or unexpectedly crash.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Hopes: 

Fire Emblem announcement of some kind. That's really all I need. Anything else is secondary. (Bonus points if NateTheHate is 100% correct, and Nintendo drops a trailer for a new game and a teaser for an FE 4 remake, coming early 2023.)

Rune Factory 5 gets some attention. I know XSEED is doing their own media push, but a little help from Nintendo wouldn't be unwelcome!

Dark Deity release date. I have the game for Steam, but if we're going to get trailers for Triangle Strategy, Advanced Wars, and hopefully Fire Emblem, I say why not add another Turn-based RPG in the mix and give out details on this?

Xenoblade Chronicles X Port. I know a different Xeno announcement is more likely, but this feels like the final missing piece. 

My "one-in-a-million" hope is that someday, Custom Robo will be revived, but I'm not holding my breath for that. 

13 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Hoping for Oracle Zelda remakes. Those are two of my favorite Zeldas, I'd love to see them remade on Switch in either the ALBW or LANS styles. For that matter, I'd like to see OoT and MM remade for Switch, too. Although a surprise remake of the original two NES games would really throw players for a loop.

Oracle Zelda remakes would be cool. I hope that, if they do that, they also make the cancelled third game and sell the whole thing as a bundle.

OOT and MM remakes could be interesting. The question is would they build from the original games and ignore the 3DS remakes or build off of the 3DS remakes? In the case of Majora's Mask in particular, I hope it's the former; perhaps having a remake be spearheaded by someone who had a breakdown during the original game's development and who didn't even want to make a remake was not a good idea.

A surprise remake of the NES games really would throw players for a loop. My question would be: what would be the point? The games are so old that people wanting to play them want to play them partly because of their quirks as old games.

Might want to adjust the title to say Feb 9th, not 8th. 

Trailers I do expect:

• New weapons in Splatoon 3 presented by a japanese dude in a lab coat
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land - what can we do in this cute waddle dee town?
  • Advance Wars ReBoot Camp - focusing on the multiplayer suite, rather than the campaign
  • Mario+Rabbids - new playable characters
  • Pokemon Legends DLC road map
  • And we end with the First Trailer for the Mario Movie

Things I would like to see, but don't expect

• Bayonetta 3
  • Any dead Nintendo franchise. Preferably not a sixty dollar remake/remaster of an already great game that just needed a port. But it's usually Zelda getting that treatment.
  • More Mario Party Superstars boards in a free update
  • NSO Expansion Pak gets SOMETHING to sweeten the deal for all the suckers that already bought it
  • Super Mario 35 returns in a permanent format, but it's a new release that covers more than just Super Mario 1.
  • The game that Retro Studios was working on in the three years before Prime 4 is not dead. Here it is.

Things I would rather not see in a Fire Emblem trailer tomorrow:

• "Available digitally until x/x/2022"
  • A Classroom setting
  • Feh the Owl
  • Marth fighting brigands on the isle of Talys
  • Musou Attacks
Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Man, I've got a class that starts right when the Direct starts... oh well, at least I'll be able to skip the stuff I don't care about when I can watch it. Anyway, my hopes/what might show up:

• Something FE related
  • Metroid Prime 4 makes an appearance
    • The Prime Trilogy also gets ported to Switch to tide fans over until Prime 4 is ready get people caught up on the lore
  • I honestly forgot about Kirby and the Forgotten Land, but that'll prolly show up
  • BOTW2 gets another trailer and a subtitle drop (this is the least likely to happen, though, let's be real)
  • Something Xenoblade
  • Something Splatoon
  • Nintendo Fan-Mail segment starring Chris Pratt as Mario

Yeah, that's about it.

2 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

The Prime Trilogy also gets ported to Switch to tide fans over until Prime 4 is ready get people caught up on the lore

That honestly wouldn't surprise me, but given how Nintendo has been lately with ports and remasters, I suspect that, instead of just porting the trilogy, they'll "remaster" each game via polishing the graphics (that don't need any polish really outside of textures; I say this as someone who just played the trilogy for the first time recently) and remapping the pointer controls to the gyro (and only the right joy-con's gyro as usual despite the fact that left-handed people exist), and then they'll charge full price for each game, rather than the trilogy as a whole, even though the trilogy as a whole is available for $20 on the Wii U e-shop.

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

A surprise remake of the NES games really would throw players for a loop. My question would be: what would be the point? The games are so old that people wanting to play them want to play them partly because of their quirks as old games.

For the sake of fun, of course. Aside from graphical updates, there are all kinds of tweaks they could make to both games to help modernize them. New items, more diverse NPCs, overhauled mechanics, etc. Yeah, there comes a point where you might as well be making a new game, but the remakes could serve as the new "standard" Zelda titles. A "soft reboot", if you will. This isn't the topic for theorycrafting, though, so I'll refrain from getting deeper into details here.

Ahh yes. the blessed state of Schrödinger's Direct, where nobody has seen it yet so all our hopes and dreams are simultaneously alive and dead.

I don't typically have any hopes or expectations for Nintendo Directs. I like to go in with the attitude that if there's a single announcement that makes me think "oooh, that looks cool! I want to play that!" then it's a good Direct. But this time? Honestly? Despite my better judgement, I am going to be kinda disappointed if there isn't anything Fire Emblem. It just feels like it's time.

I don't really have any big wants or predictions. I'm mostly expecting them to show off Kirby, Splatoon and maybe Zelda though BOW2 is probably more of an E3 . Would love to see an update to Mario Party Superstars that adds new boards and maybe new characters and items. Other than that I would like to see announcements for a new FE game and Mario Kart 9 (probably won't happen yet since MK8 is still selling). I don't expect any news for Pokemon until Pokemon Day near the end of the month.

Edited by NSSKG151

Shigesato Itoi retweeted the Direct. And the NES and SNES apps are undergoing maintenance today. Mother 1 and 2? It has been over half a year since we got games on those apps, I legit thought they were done. NES Mother 1 isn't as good as the GBA version, tbh. As long as we're going back, Startropics 2? Maybe Double Dragon 3? Metal Gear? ANY of the Ninja Gaiden sequels or the SNES remakes? We left a lot on the table out here that's not going to be in any fancy collection release.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

It has been a long time, but in the end I expected to be waiting a little longer for this direct. Anyways, here we are now. Lots of potential, but all of it can be squandered.

Spoiler

Armies marching, Edge of Dawn remix playing, looks like FE already, then we get confirmation that it's FE3H Musou, FE Three Hopes, which looks like it's the golden route after all with minimap mission shown too. I should have seen it coming, hopefully all the cast is in it and we'll see what it becomes in time (Including the OCs) and a date for the 24th of June. Jeez that's close. Next is Advance Wars 1+2, which notes the option to reset turns (Alright, alright) and online. Sturm looks nice, it's out April. Next is No Man's Sky (A game I wouldn't have expected), which is getting a Switch Port (NO CLOUD), I'm assuming this has all the later improvements and hopefully this will work out in the summer. Then there's a new Mario Strikers game (Okay) with a super detailed trailer that still seems like it should be more dynamic. It's called Super League and the big specials makes it feel like Super Rush, though it also has party customisation so hmmmm. Not sure what to make of it. It does have 8-player, which is nice for those who have the option. I'm not sure if it won't be too RNG, but it's out June anyways. Next is a trailer of a helicopter coming it, only for us to see a squid squad land on a floating platform and fight off a wave of fish, including bosses for the salmons you'll fight off. Probably good things to note in the footage, but I don't know Splatoon at all.

Wanzer? Then we get a Front Mission remake of the first PS1 strategy title (Holy crap, SRPGs are eating this year and FE is none of them), out this summer alongside the sequel some day. Then there's a Disney kart game called Disney Speedstorm where they all have abilities and of course it's live service like Nitro Kart, but free on entry. Next is a montage of old titles: Force Unleashed (Whut. I have beaten this. It has Motion Controls though) on April 20th, AC: Ezio trilogy is also mentioned (I thought this was announced), though this has some Switch functionality, it's next week, Then there's a Gundam fighting game where you fight in groups against big enemies. Then we see Chrono Cross get a port at last (It happened. ADD CT ON SNES ONLINE YOU COWARDS), while adding Radical Dreamers (WHAT THE FUCK, THAT'S A TWIST), it's out April 7, then we see Kirby fight off some foxes and absorb a car, which he takes control off (What.), the montage just shows off more of the world and something called Mouthfull mode where Kirby takes in Objects to use around him. Kirby is OP. There's also upgrades for copy abilities, is this new? The boss montage shows what looks like DeDeDe too, but that's out on 25th March. Then we have two Japanese baseballers show MLB The Show getting a port which apparently can play with one Joy-Con and crossplay, which is neat. It's out April 5th.

Next are some Collections, KH collections on the cloud reminder for tomorrow (But the individual versions are sepearate? And not cloud? What.), Klonoa getting more than the first game in a package for the first time ever? on July 8th, Portal 1+2 (I have both over a decade now. Not the best choice. But it has online co-op, but no date. LIVEALIVE WHAT THE FUCK GUYS IT'S HERE AGAIN, SE REMEMBERED! IT'S HD-2D TOO, WHAT THE SHIT IT'S A FULL ON GRAPHICAL REMAKE! With voice work and out July 22nd, not gonna lie I am tempted. Then there's a Wii Sports continuation for Switch. Nice. There's only three from past games (Really? Why not more, nice as all three were?) and three new ones (Rocket League Soccer, Badminton (which is probably similar to Tennis) and Volleyball (Same verse)), so the lack of minigames is an issue, then we have the two pretend they'll play and we see a montage of them playing, June 19th, but note the soccer didn't have the leg mode at launch and Golf is coming out in July. They're doing a play test too? 18th-20th Feb? Hm. Next up is another Taiko no Tatsujin game (not surprising), but Megalovania is in it! it also has 4-player? Huh. It's not got a date though and another subscription service with it.

Triangle Strategy finally shows up and won't get a long montage with more gameplay and story spoilers? And there's a second demo today, YES, YES. The Cuphead DLC is added, soon, then a Metroid Dread update with 1-hit mode to make the game harder (NO I CANNOT FACE IT) and there's also Rookie mode, which will not help with the bosses (And then they add a Boss Rush mode right as I say that, thanks Ninty). Then we get the news of Earthbound getting put on NSO, with a montage and all, as well as Earthbound Beginnings being added too (Alright, both, might be worth popping the trial I still have after all). Then where's a montage, with Zombie Army 4, GetsuFumaDen (Today), Demon Slayer's 3D fighter (July 10), Lego Brawls (Out June), Two Point Campus (May 17th). And that's the montage already. Next, it's time for Mario Kart, which gets remastered courses for DLC (Really? After Everything? No MK9? And if you did it'd make no fucking sense.), I do not care about the waves here, I'm just going to let it play, it starts coming out March and it's added to Expansion pack. Bleh. Then we get the last news, with a guy playing his flute. It looks like it's Xenoblode related by the English VAs. I have no idea what's going on. It's Xenoblade 3 at last though. It's out September and that's it.

TLDR: LIVE A LIVE IS ALIVE WHAT THE FUCK, TS got another demo that will transfer data, FE 3H Musou is a thing (which if there was going to be a second I do get), No Man's Sky actually got put on Switch which is impressive, Chrono Cross isn't dead any more, some nice others, but the footnotes were real footnotes. I think RPGs did real well, but the sport/kart end of it could have been handled better and NSO could have done with a lot more additions to the NES/SNES apps. Frankly Ninty could have cut some minutes in the latter half and it would have had more punch.

Three houses warriors wasn't my ideal Fire Emblem warriors game since I don't think the characters or world need much expanding compared to everyone else, but i'm still game for it. Lets see how they change it up.

Also glad to see a Xenoblade 3. I am pleasantly surprised that most characters are wearing actual clothing this time around. 

I was already  expecting project triangle strategy to get a final demo, but I am glad to see I was right on that

Edited by Sasori

So we can all agree that the petite masked high entia girl is definitely Melia right? Her VA even said she was working on something Xenoblade related. Also she seems to be a flesh eater in the trailer. 

So with Mechon, High Entia, flesh eaters and I think Gormotti too it seems the two Xenoworlds are definitely crossing over. 

Neat to see Cross getting remastered and all, but how about Chrono Trigger? That one hasn't seen a proper release since the DS.

I expect to see fan art of the new cat lady in Kirby & The Forgotten Land by the end of today. I mean, c'mon - an anthropomorphic leopard with an exaggerated feminine figure, long eyelashes, and purple eyeshadow? That's furry bait if I ever saw any.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Neat to see Cross getting remastered and all, but how about Chrono Trigger? That one hasn't seen a proper release since the DS.

Right? I expected it with Earthbound, but alas.

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So with Mechon, High Entia, flesh eaters and I think Gormotti too it seems the two Xenoworlds are definitely crossing over. 

THERE IS THREE OF THEM!

...Pardon the outburst, I've allowed become to become an XCX devotee. And all I want to do right now is shove this game off of the cliff where XCX has been dangling for the past seven years. While I do enjoy non-X XC just fine and shall in time enjoy this new one, this last minute soured me on the entirety of the Direct.

...On other Nintendo Direct matters, MK8 getting a mondo 48 courses? I would like more vehicles and characters too, but this sounds great for $25 USD. I'll have to rebuy the game though seeing how I only have the Wii U version.