Fire Emblem Three Houses Warriors is a thing

ciphertul

7 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

I suspect that when the echoes versions of them come out they will get spam loved. And the next echoes should cover one of three at least.

Tbh I think its kind of better this way as I don't think this will be the last warriors game but the next warrior game was 100% going to be dominated by three houses simply because its new. This way they can appeal to three houses without sidelining older characters in the game. Imagine how much complaining if one of three houses lords did something while [Insert other game lord here] is on the screen.  If this was a more traditonal mixed cast warriors game there would be no winning for three houses as people would constantly say they overshadow the others even if its not true or avoid the other problem of having the three houses lords do so little people wonder why they are in the game.  Its a no win situation but at least this way they can give other charcter better due in games moving forwards that three houses could be in (i.e a more traditions warrior sequel down the road).

TBH, I would have been fine and even supportive of a COMPLETELY 3H story with a crossover side mode. I don't play Warriors games for story. I just want to play Ike and Ephraim. Is that too much to ask?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

TBH, I would have been fine and even supportive of a COMPLETELY 3H story with a crossover side mode. I don't play Warriors games for story. I just want to play Ike and Ephraim. Is that too much to ask?

Come on man, don't ask questions you already know the answer to. I get you though... I just wanna cleave thru enemies with Illyana like she deserves.

What the blazes is that Edelgard artwork? Less armour than Dimitri? Iridescent boobplate? Showing bare skin on her thighs? A red heart design on her shoulder pads for Goddess's sake? I mean, it's a reasonable enough character design, but it's a long way removed from anything I could see Edelgard ever wearing. Which does not fill me with confidence that they will be respecting the setting and characters of Three Houses.

But it seems this OC changed the course of time and maybe that's why Byleth is now full of rage? As a lot of different cutscenes seems to differ this reality from the past one. Jeralt seems to have a different outcome this time as does Rhea.

7 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

maybe they could still have amiibo characters in it

Based on the Japanese website, amiibo seem to just grant items like other nintendo warriors games, with the fe amiibos giving better items

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Forgive me in advance because I'm probably going to sound rather cynical and the opposite of excited for this game, but I can't help but see the game for its marketing strategy.

Warriors crossovers that are typical crossovers don't sell well, but then they release Age of Calamity and Persona 5 Strikers: Warriors crossovers targeted squarely at those much-more-popular franchises' fans by promising a story set in their fictional universes, all while deliberately avoiding questions about whether or not said stories are actually canon, and those games naturally sell far more than than Warriors games normally do. With Age of Calamity in particular, which is still the best-selling Warriors game of all time, what grabbed people was the promise that the game was a prequel to Breath of the Wild (something which turned out to be a false promise); the game sold entirely on its association with Breath of the Wild. So, now they're doing more of that.

I cannot shake the feeling that this is a game meant to leech off of Three Houses' success, and all that that entails. I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, and I can honestly see the potential in a Three Houses Warriors to an extent, but the moment I saw this, I honestly groaned.

For just one example, for me, a big part of what saves the story of Three Houses is the depth of its characters, as the plot very much bites off more than it can chew. Given how badly Age of Calamity flanderized the characters from Breath of the Wild despite the Zelda team supervising that game, I have little hope that the characters will be intact for this game.

There is a bit a of difference in Three houses warriors compared to Age of Calamty or Strikers and that is the fact Koei Techmo who makes the warriors game was part of three houses development.  They don't really have to learn the universe and designs as they have already spent a large amount of time on these characters before this game. Its more of a continuation of collaboration with IS than it was like persona or zelda where they had to adapt a game with characters they have less input on.

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Tbf we know very little about the game and there might be side content that lets you do that or dlc.

Just now, vikingsfan92 said:

Tbf we know very little about the game and there might be side content that lets you do that or dlc.

Well the other single game warriors lacked it so I think it's a reasonable fear.

46 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Anyone else have any theories? I'd love to hear any feedback you have as I work on the analysis!

Hopefully they'll make reclassing an thing, since Claude is seen on his wyvern, post timeskip. And that we'll finally get some exposition on Byleth's actual feelings.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I have also gained a new appreciation for the original Warriors. Never thought I'd see the day, yet here we are.

literally me right now

so 3H Warriors is actually a thing, in the sense that people were actually paid to make this decision

as i would have basically nothing positive to say on the matter, i'll just say that this is a genious marketing operation and the game will sell like hot cakes

and now, back with the "come on, [insert Pre-Awakening FE protagonist name] and [insert Pre-Awakening FE protagonist Name] will be playable in the next game"

Edited by Yexin

1 minute ago, vikingsfan92 said:

There is a bit a of difference in Three houses warriors compared to Age of Calamty or Strikers and that is the fact Koei Techmo who makes the warriors game was part of three houses development.  They don't really have to learn the universe and designs as they have already spent a large amount of time on these characters before this game. Its more of a continuation of collaboration with IS than it was like persona or zelda where they had to adapt a game with characters they have less input on.

True, but their main help was with the bulk of the programming if I recall correctly; stuff like story, worldbuilding and character was purely IS.

5 minutes ago, Yexin said:

so 3H Warriors is actually a thing, in the sense that people were actually paid to make this decision

as i would have basically nothing positive to say on the matter, i'll just say that this is a genius marketing operation and the game will sell like hot cakes

My thoughts as well, only I was willing to say some negative stuff.

Honestly, this was the most disappointing reveal of the Direct for me.  Would've much preferred either a new mainline game or a remake then this.  Not interested at all.

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

F!Byleth is the "canon" choice it seems. It fits thematically (the other main players - other than TWSITD - in the war are women) and romantically for the three Lords. Also F!Byleth is more popular in the fandom and F!Byleth likely balances the genders of the other main characters out. I'd like for her to talk, but given she was silent to begin with I sadly have my doubts about that. Hopefully she has a fixed name this time though, and others will refer to her by name this time.

I don't think keeping the genders even was the reason why they chose F!Byleth over M!Byleth.  Remember, in the first Warriors game they chose F!Corrin over M!Corrin for the story even though that made the gender ratio for the Fates royals 4 males and 6 females.  Plus that game's playable roster had a good amount of favoritism towards women to begin with, not to mention the DLC was 3 men and 6 women, skewing it further in favor of women.

Edited by FailWood

I enjoy Musou games, so this is nice, if expectable. Hopefully it is mechanically good.

I won't be getting this game, however. Just as I didn't get FEW1 or Age of Calamity. I have this weird character-narrative estrangement from FEs 14-16 (and somehow ended up carrying this into BotW). I have no attachment to anyone.

Although, on the bright side, no monastery b/c genre change is only a blessing in my eyes. It's why I failed to open my aesthetic pores to 3H.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

True, but their main help was with the bulk of the programming if I recall correctly; stuff like story, worldbuilding and character was purely IS.

My thoughts as well, only I was willing to say some negative stuff.

Thing is its kind of hard to separate who did what because there are times where plot points have to be cut or revised for gameplay reasons.   So I would suspect the Koei had more input than people think  with the original three houses story and characters. IS had main control for sure but I wouldn't discount Koei having a bit more impact on the story than most people suspect.  But even if they had no impact they do have familiarity with the cast than the other warriors spinoffs which is a plus.

2 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Thing is its kind of hard to separate who did what because there are times where plot points have to be cut or revised for gameplay reasons.   So I would suspect the Koei had more input than people think  with the original three houses story and characters. IS had main control for sure but I wouldn't discount Koei having a bit more impact on the story than most people suspect.  But even if they had no impact they do have familiarity with the cast than the other warriors spinoffs which is a plus.

Sure, that's a plus I guess. But that still doesn't change the fact that this feels less like a crossover-spinoff being made because someone saw potential in it, but because of the success of Age of Calamity and Persona 5 Strikers.

22 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

That sounds surprising because the setting is so quintessentially Koei. Its basically the Romance of the Three Kingdoms with a Fire Emblem spin to it. 

when you zoom in to a character on the map with theh bata

27 minutes ago, FailWood said:

I don't think keeping the genders even was the reason why they chose F!Byleth over M!Byleth.  Remember, in the first Warriors game they chose F!Corrin over M!Corrin for the story even though that made the gender ratio for the Fates royals 4 males and 6 females.  Plus that game's playable roster had a good amount of favoritism towards women to begin with, not to mention the DLC was 3 men and 6 women, skewing it further in favor of women.

yeah but in that case they split corrin and robin down the line gender-wise

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That sounds surprising because the setting is so quintessentially Koei. Its basically the Romance of the Three Kingdoms with a Fire Emblem spin to it. 

I actually looked into this a few months ago. Here's what I found about the game's development and who did which:

The shortest answer that I read a lot is that Koei Tecmo mainly helped with the technical and programming side of things while IS remained in charge of design and the other aspects of development. However, whenever I look for more details, it seems that it was actually a lot more complicated than that, and it quickly gets a bit confusing.

What I have found was that the scenario writing team was led by one of the two directors; namely Toshiyuki Kusakihara, and both directors work for IS. However, that scenario writing team consisted of Yuki Ikeno, Ryohei Hayashi and Mari Okamoto; all three of whom were brought in from Koei Tecmo. However (again), apparently, they were originally brought in just to assist IS in writing the social segments of the game. See what I mean by it getting complicated and confusing? And this was just stuff that I found in the first 20 minutes of researching.

As far as inspiration goes, apparently, the school sections and the timeskip (particularly the former students being at war with each other after the timeskip) were taken directly from Genealogy of the Holy War, but Kusakihara later admitted to also taking some inspiration from Three Kingdoms; apparently when Koei Tecmo recommended the Kou Shibusawa team to IS for helping with Three Houses, IS naturally looked over the games that team had made, which included Koei Tecmo's adaptation of Three Kingdoms, and that's how they ended up looking at Three Kingdoms and taking some inspiration from it. I cannot find whether or not they already had the Genealogy-inspired elements of the game in mind before then or not.

So, basically, the Three Kingdoms inspiration was from IS looking at Koei Tecmo's previous works, rather than being Koei Tecmo's contribution directly.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

@DefyingFates Not sure of the source, I just found them on twitter and tumblr being circulated amongst the news.

Also, here is the special edition contents. Seems to be Japan and Europe only so far as I didn't see it in the American version of the direct:

Hide contents

Fire-Emblem-Warriors-Three-Hopes-limited-edition-656x369.jpg

Thanks for the image! I can't any pre-order information in Europe yet I'm afraid, which really sucks. If anyone has found it, please let us know!

I've finished my first draft of the analysis by the way. Jurtih and Randolph are in as bosses!

59 minutes ago, lenticular said:

it's a reasonable enough character design, but it's a long way removed from anything I could see Edelgard ever wearing.

Agreed, but I think it's possible that there's no timeskip this time: the Lords just have their final Class gear sent over in advance because the war starts earlier.

31 minutes ago, FailWood said:

Fair, but F!Byleth evens out this game's roster...

Or at least that's what I would have said had we not gotten at least two OCs, but still.

32 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

They added VW and AM IIRC. The original plan was just the two Edelgard routes.

58 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Also that red haired girl in the trailer. Could that be Monica? The Kronya version or otherwise. 

She has a different hairdo, but she has earrings whose pattern appears in Edelgard's hair and she has Aymr, so it could go either way.

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

They added VW and AM IIRC. The original plan was just the two Edelgard routes.

I'm pretty sure that was IS. IS was really ambitious with this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if expanding the number of routes from 2 to 4 was IS's idea.