Sign in to follow this  
Lightchao42

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 News and Discussion

On 6/20/2022 at 6:06 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

remindMe! June 2023

With Sakurai's own waffling about his career, I'm not confident that he'll be at the helm of Smash 6. In which case, we could expect a longer development cycle than past games. On top of that, we haven't seen a Smash title release in the same year as its console since Melee on the Gamecube. Getting a proper "Switch Successor" next year is already dubious (so long as the system, and its games, keep on selling), and a same-year Smash title even more so.

But hey, it could happen.

Oh god, we're approaching the singularity where every vaguely anime-looking franchise gets Musuo'd, aren't we.

Ace Attorney Warriors when?

Actually, Xenoblade has been pitched in musou circles for a while. It isn't as requested as the likes of Final Fantasy, Power Rangers, Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars, but it's solidly wanted.

From a publisher perspective, musou is also a really easy answer to spinoffs in any setting where large scale battles could conceivably happen. They are made quickly and efficiently by a 3rd party company with lots of staff. And the formula is one that literally anyone could competently not only play, but main their favorite characters with minimal hiccups. 

Xenoblade direct really makes me want to buy it asap. it seems taking plenty of notes from previous games, shave off some of the tedious parts, and improve vastly from before. battles looking more flexible than ever with big cast of character fighting at once. and fusing is just right with that amount of party member on screen

funnily enough for me, despite already seen previous trailers, this Xenoblade Direct really make realize i really dig the artstyle and outfits design. didnt find any "cheap fanservice-y" character so far. unlike XB2 where the 3 main characters are actually the worst offender in that particular part. 

also everyone must have notice the two leader of opposing nation/faction that wore mask is obviously a teaser for people who already played previous games. whats with their obvious hairtyle

Well, I just watched the Xenoblade 3 direct, and, honestly, my opinion hasn't changed: it looks interesting, but I probably don't want to buy it.

With Xenoblade games, the world always looks very interesting, the characters and the story probably aren't bad, but the combat is extremely unappealing to me. I really don't like MMO-style combat, and with Xenoblade games, you're basically playing an MMO alongside AI, which can seriously vary in quality. Perhaps that's one reason they now have it that you can swap characters at any time, as now someone can say, "Well just swap characters if you don't like the AI for them".

The only Xenoblade game I was able to finish was Xenoblade Chronicles X (and even then, I didn't 100% it), and the reason I finished it was that, even though the combat was still lackluster, the exploration was superb; the world was a ton of fun to explore, especially after unlocking skells. The world of Xenoblade 1 was interesting and very well designed, but it was not fun to explore.

At this rate, I would just wait for a Xenoblade X-2, but it's never going to happen; Xenoblade X undersold because it was on the Wii U and they're not going to port it to Switch because it's too big for the standard cartridge, so they'd have to use the special cartridge they used for the Switch port of the Witcher 3, which they only use for a game they think will be guaranteed to sell.

Honestly, after watching this, I'm tempted to go back and replay Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Like Xenoblade, it's a fantasy RPG with too many plot twists, but it at least has fun combat.

As tempting as it is for me to pick this up Day One, I may end up waiting a bit for the DLC to come out.
-- I don't want to get burned out by the main game, only to find out that over time the game received good QoL updates and other things.
-- Also, I'm likely to be playing Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes for a while instead...

Also, I have yet to get Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. While I've seen bits and pieces of Future Connected, I haven't experienced that storyline and would like to before I delve into XC3. (Heck, I want to replay the first Xenoblade before delving into Future Connected, so things will take a while...)
-- As for XC2, I still need to complete all the side quests, max out all the Blades, and take on the Challenge Battles more. The downside is that I haven't played it properly in ages, so the strategies I used and knowing what I need for optimal setups are forgotten. I am on NG+ which helps a bit, but trying to figure everything out again sorta sucks.