Do you think we'll have set classes, class sets, or free classes?

Three Hopes Class System  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which class system do you think Three Hopes will have?

• Set Classes - every character has one unchangeable moveset
    • Class Sets - every character has two or more specific moveset choices
    • Free Classes - almost every character can learn almost any moveset
  2. 2. Which class system do you want Three Hopes to have?

• Set Classes
    • Class Sets
    • Free Classes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2022 at 06:00 PM

Which class/moveset system do you think Three Hopes will have? Which do you want it to have?

What canon class or set of canon classes do you think your favorites could have?

Example of each system:

Set Class:

Edelgard can only be an Armor Lord.

Dimitri can only be a Spear Lord.

Claude can only be a Barborossa.

Class Sets:

Edelgard can only be an Armor Lord, Warrior, or Dark Mage. Armor Lord is unique. Warrior is a shared option with Hilda, Raphael, and Caspar. Dark Mage is a shared option with Hubert and Lysithea.

Dimitri can only be a Spear Lord, Hero, or Paladin. Spear Lord is unique. Hero is a shared option with Caspar and Ferdinand. Paladin is a shared option with Sylvain, Ferdinand, Ingrid, Lorenz, and Leonie.

Claude can only be a Barborossa, Wyvern Lord, or Assassin. Barborossa is unique. Wyvern Lord is shared with Seteth, Petra, and Hilda. Assassin is shared with Petra, Shamir, and Felix.

Free Class Sets:

Anyone can be almost anything. Shapeshifters and unique classes (Byleth's and the Lords') can't be learned.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Set classes both ways. I think it'll be more of a hybrid, though, where each character can do something unique but also things shared with a second or third character. Like, Hilda may be the only Warrior in the game and may have a special element of, say, Dark or whatnot, but Dedue as a Fortress Knight may have a similar special. So...somewhere between Set Class and Class Sets...?

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

Set classes both ways. I think it'll be more of a hybrid, though, where each character can do something unique but also things shared with a second or third character. Like, Hilda may be the only Warrior in the game and may have a special element of, say, Dark or whatnot, but Dedue as a Fortress Knight may have a similar special. So...somewhere between Set Class and Class Sets...?

I'm thinking the opposite. Classes may be shared, but each person in a class may have something unique (like an EX attack or Combat Arts). Hilda, Caspar, and Raphael could all be Warriors, but Hilda may have a new C6, Caspar a new C5, and Raphael a new C3, with different combat arts for each.

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm thinking the opposite. Classes may be shared, but each person in a class may have something unique (like an EX attack or Combat Arts). Hilda, Caspar, and Raphael could all be Warriors, but Hilda may have a new C6, Caspar a new C5, and Raphael a new C3, with different combat arts for each.

That's fair. I thought about that, but then felt as if Raphael and/or Caspar would be War Masters, and then realized that, depending on the character roster, there may be a small enough cast for everyone to have their own class. Which is really what it comes down to, I guess. If the character roster is large (i.e. every student and some previous NPCs) then your way is more likely. If it's smaller (Byleth, House Leaders, 2-3 other students per house + some Seiros staff), then I can see everyone having their own unique class. 

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with who has what class, so long as the game is fun, the story is (at least somewhat) intriguing, and there are new character interactions and/or Supports to see. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Class Sets are 100% what I want. It's the perfect way to include a lot of characters, appease the greatest amount of people with regards to "clones," and just be true to Fire Emblem.

It's hard to predict what I think they'll do, but if I had to pick one, I'd say I expect it to be like the first and other Warriors games where everyone just has one unchangeable moveset. I don't have a lot of confidence in this, though.

I just really hope they don't go with the freedom of class choices that Three Houses used; it's a rare example of how giving the player too much choice can actually become a weakness, and I don't want it to affect this game, too.

Just now, Florete said:

Class Sets are 100% what I want. It's the perfect way to include a lot of characters, appease the greatest amount of people with regards to "clones," and just be true to Fire Emblem.

It's hard to predict what I think they'll do, but if I had to pick one, I'd say I expect it to be like the first and other Warriors games where everyone just has one unchangeable moveset. I don't have a lot of confidence in this, though.

I just really hope they don't go with the freedom of class choices that Three Houses used; it's a rare example of how giving the player too much choice can actually become a weakness, and I don't want it to affect this game, too.

Very much how I feel. It is worth noting that free Classes are something that some Warriors games do (DW8, SW5), and it's very much a homogenizer for characters. DW8 kinda sorta restricts things a little by giving each character varying levels of affinities for other weapons, so you could kind of call it something between Class Sets and Free Classes. But I don't think I've ever seen a musou with overlapping Class Sets before (Hyrule Warriors gives class sets to very specific characters, but every single moveset is unique to every character).

If I'd thought of what I'm about to say earlier I would have considered it for my previous post, but I think it deserves to be brought up on its own anyway.

At ~1:20 in the trailer we see Claude moving around on a wyvern, likely as a Barbarossa. But a couple seconds later we see him on foot. There is a cut in between, but based on the minimap it's clearly the same battle and it even looks like it might be as short as a few seconds later, with fort status all being the same and units being only in slightly different places. This doesn't appear to be temporary as a part of some combo move, either, as we can see him dashing on foot briefly. And, of course, earlier in the trailer we see younger Claude with what is likely to be a completely infantry-based moveset.

This means that there almost has to be some form of moveset-changing in the game. I find the idea of being able to class change mid-battle pretty unlikely, so Barbarossa (and other mounted classes) might just have some kind of dismount mechanic that they didn't want to clearly show yet. But Claude is still likely seen using two different movesets in the trailer. My guess based on this is that, like Three Houses, the lords may start in classes that are shared by others, but promote to their unique classes with unique movesets.

However, contrary to that idea, we get good looks at both versions of Edelgard in combat and while we may not see the same moves, both times look plausibly like the same moveset. Same for Dimitri, though the later version of him doesn't show us much to go off of to begin with.

My best guess is that Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude (and Byleth) do indeed have unique movesets post promotion, despite what the trailer may look like for the first two, but that class changing exists and they'll still be able to access their original movesets via Warrior for Edelgard, Sniper for Claude, and a new higher-rank infantry lance class for Dimitri (Halberdier?), as Soldier is the only lance-based infantry class in Three Houses that isn't unique to a lord. Completely losing access to their original movesets seems unlikely.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

If I'd thought of what I'm about to say earlier I would have considered it for my previous post, but I think it deserves to be brought up on its own anyway.

At ~1:20 in the trailer we see Claude moving around on a wyvern, likely as a Barbarossa. But a couple seconds later we see him on foot. There is a cut in between, but based on the minimap it's clearly the same battle and it even looks like it might be as short as a few seconds later, with fort status all being the same and units being only in slightly different places. This doesn't appear to be temporary as a part of some combo move, either, as we can see him dashing on foot briefly. And, of course, earlier in the trailer we see younger Claude with what is likely to be a completely infantry-based moveset.

This means that there almost has to be some form of moveset-changing in the game. I find the idea of being able to class change mid-battle pretty unlikely, so Barbarossa (and other mounted classes) might just have some kind of dismount mechanic that they didn't want to clearly show yet. But Claude is still likely seen using two different movesets in the trailer. My guess based on this is that, like Three Houses, the lords may start in classes that are shared by others, but promote to their unique classes with unique movesets.

However, contrary to that idea, we get good looks at both versions of Edelgard in combat and while we may not see the same moves, both times look plausibly like the same moveset. Same for Dimitri, though the later version of him doesn't show us much to go off of to begin with.

My best guess is that Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude (and Byleth) do indeed have unique movesets post promotion, despite what the trailer may look like for the first two, but that class changing exists and they'll still be able to access their original movesets via Warrior for Edelgard, Sniper for Claude, and a new higher-rank infantry lance class for Dimitri (Halberdier?), as Soldier is the only lance-based infantry class in Three Houses that isn't unique to a lord. Completely losing access to their original movesets seems unlikely.

It's either that, or dismounting (either selective or for everyone applicable) is a thing.

Claude could always be this game's answer to Age of Calamity's Revali with ground and air moveset transitions.

I remember not being a fan of Dynasty warriors 7: Attack of the clones, but it might serve as a good baseline for three hopes. If only to recreate the aspect of being a teacher and deciding what direction the students go in. So every student can be any class once they pass their exam, but they have a special mosou moves and a strong attack here and there.

So for example Dedue/Caspar/Rapheal could all 3 go axe fighter or war master, but may have some different moves to reflect their personality. With Rapheal getting like a slow grappling move, Caspar being more swift and Dedue...also getting something.

Mages could also have a similar moveset to each other, but have a different element depending on what element they learn in 3 houses. 

I can see the exam mechanic being a more unique way of unlocking classes this time around. With characters first going into the archer sniper moveset class before up/sidegrading into the sniper class later on the game when they passed certain requirements.

The lords, Byleth and Rhea might get classes that are truly unique because they still are the main characters.

• 1 month later...

In the event that the game uses Fates-style class sets or 3H-style free classes, are there any new classes you'd like to see added?

I know I have a few:

Halberdier/Sentinel - lance and axe infantry promotion from soldier.

Samurai - Sword and lance promotion from soldier/halberdier or myrmidon/swordmaster

Druid - Reason and Axes promotion from Dark Bishop.

Sage - Reason OR Faith AND Bows promotion from Warlock or Bishop.

Trueblade - Swords and Brawling promotion from Swordmaster or Grappler.

Griffon Rider - Sword and Axe flying unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent Warriors games seem to like drawing from mechanics of the games they are riffing off of, and I expect this game will do the same. Three Houses's class system is arguably its defining feature from a gameplay perspective. I don't feel too strongly if we'll get a strict class set idea, or if it'll be a free system... if it is a free system I imagine it'll be like 3H and there will be boons/banes/etc. so characters have an easier/harder time getting into certain classes. A strict class system is simpler, so that's why I voted for it as more likely, but I'd be fine with either.

Single movesets would be both unfitting for the game and likely result in a smaller roster, so it's very much the worst-case scenario.

10 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Recent Warriors games seem to like drawing from mechanics of the games they are riffing off of, and I expect this game will do the same. Three Houses's class system is arguably its defining feature from a gameplay perspective. I don't feel too strongly if we'll get a strict class set idea, or if it'll be a free system... if it is a free system I imagine it'll be like 3H and there will be boons/banes/etc. so characters have an easier/harder time getting into certain classes. A strict class system is simpler, so that's why I voted for it as more likely, but I'd be fine with either.

Single movesets would be both unfitting for the game and likely result in a smaller roster, so it's very much the worst-case scenario.

It's the worst-case scenario for fans, but it's the best-case scenario for PR. Unfortunately, FEW still gets shit for clones.

Nevermind the fact that it still has more movesets than almost any other Warriors spinoff, and that all of them are viable and well-designed.

Nevermind that the strategic elements and increased objective pressure make it way more engaging than normal Warriors games.

Nevermind that it has the best mounted combat of any Warriors game (and frankly quite possibly any game).

Nevermind that it has the best postgame mode of any Warriors game.

It haz teh cLoNeS, and is therefore bad.

Can't see anything other than a Free Class set being used, since that's one of the defining features of Three Houses. It also works well for the games roster since they can use as many characters as they want, with the only caveat being the number of supports they have to include for each character.

That being said, I think each character will start off in a default class rather than the noble / commoner class. Like, Bernadetta would be a Sniper, and Lorenz would be Paladin.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:00 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's the worst-case scenario for fans, but it's the best-case scenario for PR. Unfortunately, FEW still gets shit for clones.

Interesting. I always thought the lion's share of the complaints about FEW had less to do with clones and more to do with roster choices; fans of Tellius/Elibe/etc. being angry their favourites weren't in. I don't really think these people would like the game particularly more if Cordelia and Hinoka had more distinct movesets from each other. But admittedly I on;y know the "Fire Emblem" side of the game's fandom; you're probably more in touch with the "Warriors" side.

But regardless I don't think the best-case for PR involves potentially leaving popular characters off the roster because "well we already have someone else from that class".

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Interesting. I always thought the lion's share of the complaints about FEW had less to do with clones and more to do with roster choices; fans of Tellius/Elibe/etc. being angry their favourites weren't in. I don't really think these people would like the game particularly more if Cordelia and Hinoka had more distinct movesets from each other. But admittedly I on;y know the "Fire Emblem" side of the game's fandom; you're probably more in touch with the "Warriors" side.

But regardless I don't think the best-case for PR involves potentially leaving popular characters off the roster because "well we already have someone else from that class".

That's the FE fandom's criticism, which I'd consider to be a more valid one.

The Warriors fandom was all clones, all the time. It's the only criticism they have, and they scream it.

In retrospect, it's amazing that the game sold as well as it did because it really was fighting an uphill battle against its own target audiences. And it did sell friggin well. 1 million copies to a fanbase of about 2 million (FE) and about 500k (Warriors) is bonkers. Even if we assume some crazy scenario like literally every Warriors fan buying it, that's still about 25% of the 2017 FE fandom who bought it. To put that in perspective, that's about double the percentage of BotW fans that bought Age of Calamity.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

In retrospect, it's amazing that the game sold as well as it did because it really was fighting an uphill battle against its own target audiences. And it did sell friggin well. 1 million copies to a fanbase of about 2 million (FE) and about 500k (Warriors) is bonkers. Even if we assume some crazy scenario like literally every Warriors fan buying it, that's still about 25% of the 2017 FE fandom who bought it. To put that in perspective, that's about double the percentage of BotW fans that bought Age of Calamity.

Well, keep in mind that the FE complaints are from fans of pre-Awakening games, when we know there's a large part (majority?) of the FE fanbase which had only played Awakening and/or Fates, so obviously they weren't very upset with the roster. So it's not too surprising it sold well, if still quite pleasant that it did.

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Well, keep in mind that the FE complaints are from fans of pre-Awakening games, when we know there's a large part (majority?) of the FE fanbase which had only played Awakening and/or Fates, so obviously they weren't very upset with the roster. So it's not too surprising it sold well, if still quite pleasant that it did.

I'm aware. Personally, I love the game despite its FE branding, because as a fan of literally the games they ignored, I can't fathom a roster that appeals to me less. I can't think of a less appealing combination than Fateswakening and Shadow Dragon. Which is at least part of why I eventually came to accept Three Hopes - it may not have my favorite FE, but it's still bound to be a better roster than what we had.

And back on topic, it would appear to me that Free Classes are confirmed. And while I'd prefer class sets, this is a good outcome because it means we're probably in for the biggest possible roster.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bk2128/status/1513925363914608641