Legendary Hero (Caeda: Beloved Queen)

Florete

Really odd timing for a trailer release.

Looks like they're now adding a new combined pair-up + stat boost effect.

Other than that, Caeda looks pretty tame. She gets unconditional Vantage against cavalry and armors and gains Vantage against everything as a status effect after combat, kind of like Claude's Fallen Star. Also steals the opponent's bonuses, which I guess is nice for countering Menace skills, but isn't too big of a deal.

The fact that Distant Storm and Close Salvo have different names is stupid.

I'll probably pull just for the Spark and maybe a +1 or +2. Definitely not going for a +5 this time around since I spent a lot on other banners this past month.

The usual translation notes:

Caeda's epithet, "Beloved Queen", is "伝承の愛の王妃" (denshō no ai no ōhi), "Legendary Queen of Love".

Wing-Lifted Spear is "扶翼ウイングスピア" (fuyoku uingu supia), "Assistance Wing Spear". "扶翼" (fuyoku), which means "aid" or "assistance", literally translates as "wing of assistance".

Distant Storm is "遠反・攻撃の渾身" (enhan: kōgeki no konshin), "Distant Counter: Atk Push". As usual, "遠反" (enhan) is an abbreviation of "遠距離反撃" (enkyori hangeki), literally "long-range counterattack", which is the name of the Distant Counter skill. "渾身" (konshin), "to put in one's full effort", is the name of the Push skill series.

Faithful Loyalty is "信じつづける誓い" (shinji-tsuzukeru chikai), "Oath to Continue to Believe".

It's worth noting that Wing-Lifted Spear is another prefixed weapon where the unprefixed version (Wing Spear) does not yet exist.

It's also worth noting that they've decided to fuck up the naming scheme of the Close Counter and Distant Counter combination skills because it wasn't enough to fuck up the Blow, Stance, and Breath skill names.

Trailer drop at 3AM don't ask why I'm awake at this hour, I'm well aware my sleep schedule is trash, well let's check it out. 

So L!Caeda is confirmed from a datamine a few days ago. She finally got the Wing Spear, and it is a pretty cool weapon. Canto 2, double effectiveness, Spectrum buff for trivial condition, and stat stealing. Her exclusive B skill is super Vantage that always triggers when facing the units she has effectiveness against and then she has it for the rest of the turn, and she also gets the offensive part of NFU.

I'm going to be honest. L!Caeda looks nice and her super Vantage can be fun, but I doubt she's going to have that much of an impact. Due to being Caeda I can't see her attack being all that high, her Vantage is mostly for cavs as it does little towards Save armors and due to lacking any form of Dmg reduction piercing she's going to struggle hard against common near save units like Gustav/Pirate Surtr. I think Kid Caeda is the stronger version due to having effectiveness against a wider range of units, and even she is a rare sight. 

As for the overall banner: Blue=Colorless>Green>>Red but no color is truly a must pull.

I was surprised seeing this because I've been up for a while, and I was confused wondering if I had some how missed it. Caeda's neat, I like that her outfit has elements from her Tokyo Mirage Sessions appearance. It's cool seeing a melee flier outside of Sumia with hard-canto. Since she doesn't have slaying, Galeforce will be a little rough, but it's a nice niche regardless.

Looks sweet. Armor/cavalry effectiveness and Canto both fit precedent, and her B skill is certainly an intense take on her Vantage associations.

And they're finally introducing stat+duel bonuses, which I'd expected a year ago. Odd timing for it - I think this makes the numbers uneven again? Meanwhile Caeda is repeating the Water-Spd bonus we got from Fjorm, the first legendary, but at some point we should be able to expect finally getting Fire-Spd and Earth-Res. Especially with the modified legendary schedule, which will apparently hit include a legendary in March.

Being Water Legendary can be tough for Caeda, considering she goes against Legendary Chrom and Legendary Byleth. She should have enough Spd and Res to survive against Byleth I guess... But being a flier makes her a pretty good partner with Legendary Azura, especially if the Vallite Songstress gets her remix in March.

I would have mentioned Legendary Leif as well, but she has Vantage effect against him.

Wait what it is currently almost 3am what sleeping pills did intern-kun chug to make him wake up and remember to make this video public?
Caeda herself... huh, it would take making her a Legendary Hero to finally give her a lance and ergo her original Wing Spear, wouldn't it...

Wing-Lifted Spear coming with Atk+3, Canto 2, Armor/Cavalry effectiveness, Spectrum +5 Blow/Unity, and even buff stealing is all good for a weapon.
Moonbow and Atk/Def Rein are not new.
Distant Salv- wait what the fuck is this Distant Storm nonsense... I still think Distant/Close Force would have been better names that didn't place pointless naming differences on skills that didn't need them. Well anyway, instant upgrade for most units who run Distant Counter in the A slot. I'm sure at least a few of them can even mitigate the post-combat HP penalty...
Faithful Loyalty grants Vantage against Armor/Cav units, neutralizes any follow-up negating effects the enemy has, and then grants Caeda a Vantage buff for 1 turn. Overall looks solid, and really at this point I think we desperately need to start adding some "remove all buffs from target and allies within 2 spaces" before the meta becomes stacking as many bonus effects on a single unit as possible...

Caeda as a whole will be menacing to any Armor and Cavalry foes who dare try to target her. How much Atk she will have is currently not known, but I do wonder if she'll have enough total Atk to make the effective damage be worth a damn to the right Armored units, especially considering two of them have Svallin Shield built into their weapons...

As for the other colors, Red looks a little bleh (one Mythic unit who we already know is a prime candidate for getting the remix treatment, one mythic who is literally free otherwise, and Malice... PASS), Blue has Caeda and some other grubs (nothing against LegFae or Nott, but I think Caeda would be the focus of Blue overall), green looks alright (Triandra and LegEdelgard are good, Astrid is alright if you want a support unit), and colorless could be better, but the units are all still good so nothing to complain about there (plus Ascended hero for anyone who has yet to get Ascended Laegjarn)

Overall... dealing with Caeda probably won't be that annoying as long as I attack first, since unlike LegClaude she doesn't have a massive damage reduction effect (and a Vantage effect that relies on certain move types, which can easily be worked around), having her would be neat to utterly decimate all those annoying Saveball teams, and the rest of the banner is alright I guess.

She seems to be okay. Not sure about her potential considering her attack could be rather low, but she’s still interesting nonetheless and I might end up getting her on her rerun.

Also, am I the only one who thinks her outfit is… a bit basic? I was expecting something more elaborated.

That was good timing to show trailer before blood happens due AHR voting.

I was really hope for her to be like her young and summer versions but I won't complain.

The Sword Knight in the trailer is from Chapter 3-11-4 Lunatic, which has 57 Atk and 43 Def.

This gives Caeda 38 Atk and 27 Def.

The Red Cavalier is from Chapter 3-7-4 Lunatic, which has 53 Atk and 21 Def.

This gives Caeda 32 Res and more or less confirms her Atk.

Her HP is known to be 39, so she'll have 41-42 Spd.

So her stats are

39 HP
38 Atk
41-42 Spd
27 Def
32 Res

Definitely not going to be low on Atk, given her weapon also has +3 Atk as a permanent stat boost instead of the Slaying effect.

Me, having bought orbs literally two days ago: "I need Pirate Surtr for fodder and will never have a chance to spark him after this. Distant SalvoStorm for Phina probably won't exist for a while anyway since Close Salvo isn't even a month old."

IntSys, today: "Now introducing Legendary CaedaDistant Storm!"

hades-mad.gif

Buyer's remorse aside, L!Caeda is basically just Young Caeda with a lance and a fresh coat of paint. If I didn't need Distant Storm, this would be a hard pass.

Edited by Some Jerk

Not sold on Caeda: Beloved Queen. Compared to her Princess of Talys and Sea-Blossom Pair counterparts, I do not think taking buffs from foes is good enough to justify losing effectiveness against common physical Weapons. I would also drop Atk+3 and Canto (the former does not scale as well as other effects and the latter does not really help against armor foes) for Slaying effect, Special Spiral 1, and Null Special Disrupt for better overall combat. Null Special Disrupt in particular would also better synergize with her B skill on player phase so she can avoid eating instant Bonfires/Ignises to her face.

I think I will still get a copy of her anyways.

Edited by XRay

The 776th playable character added to the game is not a Thracia character, smh

Anyway, she looks pretty alright. Vantage 4 is nice. It's also neat that we're slowly getting updated Distant/Close Counters (with the HP conditions so they aren't completely powercreeping DC/CC... except for Distant Stance).

Oh, and Caeda finally has her Wing Spear @eclipse.

>Close Salvo
>Distant Storm

Why.

Also, Caeda is not unexpected. Getting a legendary next month instead of a mythic is interesting, but I'd rather get more non-OC mythic units since we're kinda running out on legendary candidates.

With the context that this Legendary will be the 776th addition to FEH, IS squandered the opportunity to have this be Finn, Nanna or Ced instead.

But then I remembered that Archanea hasn't gotten a Legendary since September 2018 and shares it's only Mythic with Awakening, and then this pick looks a lot better to me (and I do like Caeda). RIP Medeus's chances of getting in this year though now that IS can choose to not give us Mythics whenever they want (like next month).

Edited by Tybrosion

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Anyway, she looks pretty alright. Vantage 4 is nice. It's also neat that we're slowly getting updated Distant/Close Counters (with the HP conditions so they aren't completely powercreeping DC/CC... except for Distant Stance).

Three quarters of the new Counter skills do completely outclass old Counters, and recoil damage is actually a good thing for one of them.

The Def/Res versions completely outclass old Counters, as it is basically the same skill but with a Stance skill on top.

The Atk versions also completely outclass old Counters, since it has a Push skill on top for recoil damage and it works on both phases, basically perfect for Counter-Vantage units.

The Spd versions are the only one that sucks, but it is still better than old Counters in the context of Counter-Vantage units because of recoil damage (and more Spd helps with disabling foe's Windsweep/Watersweep), and Spd tanks can always just use the Def/Res version with no recoil damage.

6 hours ago, indigoasis said:

It's also neat that we're slowly getting updated Distant/Close Counters (with the HP conditions so they aren't completely powercreeping DC/CC... except for Distant Stance).

And Close Reversal.

The Atk and Spd skills come with a Push effect, which has an HP condition and recoil damage in exchange for working on both phases. The Def and Res skills come with a Stance effect, which does not have an HP condition, but only works on enemy phase.

The HP conditions on the Push effects aren't even much of a detriment due to the fact that they are so low. Getting below 25% HP is quite difficult, even with recoil damage, so for all intents and purposes, it's just a permanent stat boost at the cost of recoil damage.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

Not sold on Caeda: Beloved Queen. Compared to her Princess of Talys and Sea-Blossom Pair counterparts, I do not think taking buffs from foes is good enough to justify losing effectiveness against common physical Weapons. I would also drop Atk+3 and Canto (the former does not scale as well as other effects and the latter does not really help against armor foes) for Slaying effect, Special Spiral 1, and Null Special Disrupt for better overall combat. Null Special Disrupt in particular would also better synergize with her B skill on player phase so she can avoid eating instant Bonfires/Ignises to her face.

I think I will still get a copy of her anyways.

Compared to Young Caeda, Legendary Caeda's weapon and exclusive skill give her effective damage against cavalry, +5 Spd, Bonus theft, Canto (2), and the offensive half of Null Follow-Up in exchange for just losing effective damage against swords, lances, axes, and bows.

Additionally, as far as base stats go, Legendary Caeda has 3 more Atk at the cost of 2-3 Spd (which is fully made up for by her weapon's stat boost) after Dragonflowers.

Additionally additionally, the Atk boost on Legendary Caeda's weapon is an actual Atk boost, whereas the Atk boost on Young Caeda's exclusive skill is a Def penalty. Legendary Caeda's Bonus stealing effect also is an actual Atk boost. With effective damage, an actual Atk boost is simply better.

Finally, given that Legendary Caeda is a Legendary Hero, her Bonus stealing effect makes sense due to the fact that she's intended to be used in the Arena. Against a fully buffed opponent, she effectively gains +12 to all stats. In the end, Legendary Caeda has compared to Young Caeda

• about -20 Atk against infantry and flying swords, lances, axes, and bows
  • about +15 Atk against infantry and flying dragonstones, beasts, daggers, tomes, and staves
  • about +25 Atk against armors
  • about +25 Atk against cavalry swords, lances, axes and bows
  • about +50 Atk against cavalry dragonstones, beasts, daggers, tomes, and staves

I think the trade-off is plenty worth it.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Oh, seeing the datamined stats, I forgot to account for the Pair Up bonus stats from Legendary Marth, which result in +1 Res.

Which means Legendary Caeda's stat spread should instead be

39 HP
38 Atk
42-43 Spd
27 Def
31 Res

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Compared to Young Caeda, Legendary Caeda's weapon and exclusive skill give her effective damage against cavalry, +5 Spd, Bonus theft, Canto (2), and the offensive half of Null Follow-Up in exchange for just losing effective damage against swords, lances, axes, and bows.

Cavalry effectiveness is bull. Unless they turn the next Edelgard into a pony or something, cavalry effectiveness is about as pointless as boosting Spd on already fast tank busters.

Bonus theft is unreliable outside of Arena. It sure is decent in Arena, but Arena is not the only mode that matters, and even in Arena, most units can get by without that effect. It is a good effect, but it is not that good.

Canto is great, but not really useful against armors and questionable against cavalry. Armors are so slow I do not see the point in using Canto against them; and even against faster ones like the Edelgards, it is not necessary either since they would just be moving like regular infantry. Against cavalry, it is good against a lone cavalry on the opposing team, but if it is a full cav line or something, Canto is not going to save her from being Zerg rushed.

Offensive half of Null Follow-Up by itself does squat if she explodes from a Bonfire to the face, and my issue is not with her B skill, it is with her Weapon, hence why I mentioned subbing out Atk+3 and all the other crap for Slaying, Special Spiral, and Null Special Disrupt so she can actually function to better counter armor units and be somewhat viable as a Counter-Vantage unit. As is, she cannot even do her job to shut down armor units outside of the most archaic or basic ones.

The value of Weapon effectiveness against common physical Weapons is so that she can get around Svalinn Shield. While Svalinn Shield is uncommon, it is not exactly rare either and some Save balls do use it, and Hector: Brave Warrior is pretty common in Save balls.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Additionally, as far as base stats go, Legendary Caeda has 3 more Atk at the cost of 2-3 Spd (which is fully made up for by her weapon's stat boost) after Dragonflowers.

Additionally additionally, the Atk boost on Legendary Caeda's weapon is an actual Atk boost, whereas the Atk boost on Young Caeda's exclusive skill is a Def penalty. Legendary Caeda's Bonus stealing effect also is an actual Atk boost. With effective damage, an actual Atk boost is simply better.

While stats do matter, in the context of busting tanks, the combination of effects is more important than a few points of stats here and there.

An Atk boost on an effective Weapon does not mean much if Hector: Brave Warrior, or any armor unit for that matter, can just claim that they are not an armor unit.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Finally, given that Legendary Caeda is a Legendary Hero, her Bonus stealing effect makes sense due to the fact that she's intended to be used in the Arena. Against a fully buffed opponent, she effectively gains +12 to all stats. In the end, Legendary Caeda has compared to Young Caeda

• about -20 Atk against infantry and flying swords, lances, axes, and bows
  • about +15 Atk against infantry and flying dragonstones, beasts, daggers, tomes, and staves
  • about +25 Atk against armors
  • about +25 Atk against cavalry swords, lances, axes and bows
  • about +50 Atk against cavalry dragonstones, beasts, daggers, tomes, and staves

I think the trade-off is plenty worth it.

If a player wants a general purpose Legendary nuke, I think there are better options out there with better movement and/or Weapon range, like the Byleths. I just do not see a point in having a tank buster that can only bust weak tanks that any regular nuke can already do, and I do not see her being viable as a Counter-Vantage unit as is.