Fire Emblem Fates Birthright Lunatic ideas

Barren

Hi. I have been meaning to try out Birthright Lunatic before going to Conquest (also bought DLC before Nintendo shuts down their servers next year). I did play Birthright a long time ago but never finished.

I’m trying out a +magic/-luck build for Corrin with her talent being Samurai. From what I’ve read they have good skills to pick up including Swordfaire. Levin Sword I’m aware has it’s drawback like the avoid -20, but I do like the 1-2 range. Jakob is going to be my pair up bot as a Paladin (yes his ability is great early game). So I’m wondering if Swordmaster or Hoshido Noble Corrin is a good class to be in for the Lunatic setting? Technically Corrin as far as I’m aware can do better as a Malig Knight but I’m curious about Corrin being a levin sword user.

I do want to try Malig Knight for Conquest eventually and I’m curious about Revelations if I can do either the same build or as something else. 

I might pair up Corrin with either Jakob or Kaze. I’ve read that both or really popular and my girlfriend once told me that having Jakob’s and Silas’ support up to A+ is a viable strategy and Jakob picking up Tomebreaker is recommended too.

I’m not far into it yet, I’m actually in chapter 3 but any advice going forward on how to tackle Birthright Lunatic would be good. Thanks in advance.

I don't think Levin Sword is that great to depend on long term, and for 1-2 range sword Ryoma exists. Birthright isn't too difficult so doing gimmicky stuff isn't too bad. I guess you'd want to go Swordmaster so you can double more often, otherwise the Levin Sword damage won't be amazing, Spirit Dust helps with this.

I wouldn't recommend a mixed class, outside of defaulting to Nohr Noble, for Conquest Lunatic. Even Camilla wants Wyvern Lord for the long term. If you're playing Conquest on a lower difficulty it's not really a big deal. And Revelations isn't too hard  either so Malig Knight is fine here as well.

How are you gonna get a Levin Sword? Because they're not available on Birthright. Anyways, Jakob/Silas A+ does nothing for the former, because he already has Cavalier in his class set. Also, I am very hesitant to recommend a mixed class, especially Malig Knight. I will also note that - and this is specific to Birthright - Kaze needs an A support with Corrin before clearing chapter 15, else you lose him.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Ahh I didn't realize that Levin sword isn't in Birthright. Thanks for correcting me. I am aware about Kaze's support needing to be at A (yes I was spoiled a long time ago).

If Jakob can already promote into Paladin I wouldn't need to pair him up with Silas then. That's good to note. Though wouldn't Silas benefit from the Butler class since Tomebreaker can be helpful?

If Levin Sword is not available in Birthright then I wouldn't mind starting over since I didn't get very far into it anyways. I can always revisit the +mag/-luck build for Conquest since I'm assuming has Levin Sword. If anything +speed/-luck is something I will now try out. 

Sorry for the double post, but after doing some more research, I realized Heart Seals exists for Corrin to reclass into the talent of their choosing. I've been reading up on a couple of wikis (I'm taking it with a grain of salt) and typically either dragon or ninja are the best talents for corrin because of Malig Knight and Master Ninja respectively thanks to their abilities. I could also try Cavalier or Mage if I want Paladin or Dark Knight (though I hear that Male Corrin makes for a better Dark Knight thanks to Felicia).

13 hours ago, Barren said:

Though wouldn't Silas benefit from the Butler class since Tomebreaker can be helpful?

On paper, yes. In practice, however, as it's a level 15 skill, its usefulness will be rather limited.

46 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

On paper, yes. In practice, however, as it's a level 15 skill, its usefulness will be rather limited.

Is it because there aren’t that many mages to deal with on Birthright? Because if so then you would be right in saying that the need to dodge magic on this route would be very situational. 

41 minutes ago, Barren said:

Is it because there aren’t that many mages to deal with on Birthright? Because if so then you would be right in saying that the need to dodge magic on this route would be very situational. 

No, it's because the fact that it's a level 15 skill means you'get it really late, UNLESS your name is Felicia or Jakob. When exactly are you going to have most of your units hit 15 promoted? Because odds are it ain't until the last few chapters of the game.

Edited by Shadow Mir

So in other words, unless I’m grinding using DLC (which I do have) it’s generally not worth reclassing too much just to pick up skills that might not be too practical down the line

1 hour ago, Barren said:

So in other words, unless I’m grinding using DLC (which I do have) it’s generally not worth reclassing too much just to pick up skills that might not be too practical down the line

Well, the thing is... You're already limited in terms of how much reclassing you can do for most of the game, due to the limited amount of heart seals and the like. My point is that even a really good level 15 skill isn't going to be much help in the grand scheme of things when by the time you have it, the game is almost over (once again, with Felicia and Jakob as the exception to this rule).

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, the thing is... You're already limited in terms of how much reclassing you can do for most of the game, due to the limited amount of heart seals and the like. My point is that even a really good level 15 skill isn't going to be much help in the grand scheme of things when by the time you have it, the game is almost over (once again, with Felicia and Jakob as the exception to this rule).

Okay I got it now. I’ll have to keep it in mind when I play birthright. I was getting in some practice on lunatic so I should okay as long as I keep things streamlined. 

But back to Corrin’s build. I have been looking up other guides aside from here, and it seems like that in general if I’m going Hoshidan, then I would probably be better off picking a talent that has access to a Nohrian class like mercenary or mage. I know cavalier is a thing too though Silas is around. I’m thinking a +speed/-luck build might be good here. Other people have said that HP as a bane is another solid option but I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it.

Merc gives me Strong Riposte for +3 damage during EP, and then later on Sol from Hero for survivability. Cavalier gives me Elbow room which is nice for a +3 damage without terrain. I guess Luna is nice for potential extra damage with Hoshidan Unity. Or is Dragon Fang fine by itself? People have also pointed out that Samurai/Swordmaster is also good for the skills that are useful in a vacuum.

1 hour ago, Barren said:

Okay I got it now. I’ll have to keep it in mind when I play birthright. I was getting in some practice on lunatic so I should okay as long as I keep things streamlined. 

But back to Corrin’s build. I have been looking up other guides aside from here, and it seems like that in general if I’m going Hoshidan, then I would probably be better off picking a talent that has access to a Nohrian class like mercenary or mage. I know cavalier is a thing too though Silas is around. I’m thinking a +speed/-luck build might be good here. Other people have said that HP as a bane is another solid option but I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it.

Merc gives me Strong Riposte for +3 damage during EP, and then later on Sol from Hero for survivability. Cavalier gives me Elbow room which is nice for a +3 damage without terrain. I guess Luna is nice for potential extra damage with Hoshidan Unity. Or is Dragon Fang fine by itself? People have also pointed out that Samurai/Swordmaster is also good for the skills that are useful in a vacuum.

I hard disagree on an HP bane. You're just asking for trouble with that; therefore, I think those people might have been trolling you. Also, to be frank, Sol isn't very good.

19 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I hard disagree on an HP bane. You're just asking for trouble with that; therefore, I think those people might have been trolling you. Also, to be frank, Sol isn't very good.

I figured that the HP bane didn’t sound right. If Sol isn’t good because of the activation rate not reliable or it just doesn’t give you enough HP back, then I suppose there is no harm in skipping it. At least if anything I would always have a healer nearby. 

3 minutes ago, Barren said:

I figured that the HP bane didn’t sound right. If Sol isn’t good because of the activation rate not reliable or it just doesn’t give you enough HP back, then I suppose there is no harm in skipping it. At least if anything I would always have a healer nearby. 

The issue with Sol is both. Also, the fact that it's useless if the opponent isn't healthy. Long story short, if you cannot take many hits, Sol is not going to be a big boost to survivability.