An odd experience in Lunatic Conquest

DarkDefeater

I love Fates...and I know I'm really in the minority with that opinion. It was my introduction to the series, and I have loved Fire Emblem ever since. I've played through Conquest (hate the story, but the gameplay is fantastic) and the other pathways multiple times. I think I've played through each pathway 7-8 times now. I love this game.

Anyway, yesterday, I was playing the dreaded chapter 10 in lunatic conquest classic mode.

Everything was going quite well. I even managed to defeat Takumi. I did not defeat him before he activated that stupid dragon vein like I wanted, but overall, the battle went quite well. Almost perfect (love ya Subaki), except for one thing...

During an enemy phase, Oboro attacked Arthur while he was paired up with a captured enemy unit, that boss guy from the previous chapter -...I hardly ever get to capture him. RNG was really in my favor this time around.

Anyway, during the attack, Oboro and Arthur traded hefty blows. This Arthur, he's slow, but he actually has a good hit rate. Giving Arthur all the Goddess Icons possible really helps.

At the end of the attack Arthur was left with low health but also left with a fully charged dual guard. Oboro was left with 11 hp.

At the end of the turn, a lot of other enemy units were closing in. So I had Arthur and his buddy retreat to a location where only Oboro could attack him, but no other enemy unit could.

Oboro was capable of doubling Arthur because at that point Arthur was as slow as a turtle, but that was not a problem. Arthur has the dual guard. This plan was that Oboro would clang against the dual guard, Arthur would inflict exactly 11 damage to Oboro, and that would be the end of dealing with Oboro...for at least that chapter.

Arthur was still inflicted with the 'seal strength' status, but that didn't matter; he was still strong enough to deal exactly 11 damage. 

To confirm this, I checked the combat forecast three times before having Arthur retreat and executing my plan. The forecast said all three times that Arthur would inflict exactly 11 damage.

Confident in my plan, I clicked the end turn button and watched the action roll. Everything was going well....until Oboro engaged Arthur. She did indeed clang against the dual guard...and then Arthur proceeded to do...10 damage - 1 hp short. I then watched in horror and disgust as Oboro defeated Arthur. 

Considering I just finished a perfect run of birthright lunatic, I was quite upset. After avoiding the temptation of throwing my 2ds across the room, I began to ponder what exactly happened.

Arthur should have had the exact same strength/attack stat. His strength was already sealed; it can't get any lower. And Oboro-the space she occupied was not a defensive space. There were no forts or trees; it was a normal space. So I'm a bit baffled as to why Arthur's attack stat would decide to drop down one number like that.

And no, Arthur was not receiving an additional attack stat buff earlier from other adjacent units. Arthur was alone with his captured unit buddy (whatever his name is) pretty much the entire battle.

I was so put off by this that I decided to go from classic to casual; something I very rarely do. 

I may be looked down upon for 'cheating' in this way, but I just don't feel like losing a unit to a one hp fluke. Especially when Takumi and his buddies get to retreat and fight another day; it's only fair IMHO. 

Has such an experience happened to anyone else? I'm still not sure why Arthur's attack stat would drop one number like that. 

Edited by DarkDefeater

3 hours ago, DarkDefeater said:

Confident in my plan, I clicked the end turn button and watched the action roll. Everything was going well....until Oboro engaged Arthur. She did indeed clang against the dual guard...and then Arthur proceeded to do...10 damage - 1 hp short. I then watched in horror and disgust as Oboro defeated Arthur. 

Considering I just finished a perfect run of birthright lunatic, I was quite upset. After avoiding the temptation of throwing my 2ds across the room, I began to ponder what exactly happened.

Arthur should have had the exact same strength/attack stat. His strength was already sealed; it can't get any lower. And Oboro-the space she occupied was not a defensive space. There were no forts or trees; it was a normal space. So I'm a bit baffled as to why Arthur's attack stat would decide to drop down one number like that.

And no, Arthur was not receiving an additional attack stat buff earlier from other adjacent units. Arthur was alone with his captured unit buddy (whatever his name is) pretty much the entire battle.

Given all of the information given, my best guess is that the captured boss (Haitaka I presume) had triggered his seal defense skill on Oboro at some point, and when the enemy turn came around the defense debuff lowered by one causing Arthur to deal that one less damage.

I'd say that was caused by Arthur using a Hand Axe on enemy phase rather than the Iron Axe that showed up in the calculations. Equipped items don't change unless you actually go through with attacking or equip them outside of the forecast.

There's a 1 might difference between the two weapons and a base Arthur with a Spear Fighter pair up does not get doubled by Oboro. The only thing that could cause that is Arthur wielding a Hand Axe.

Either way, there is no shame in switching to Casual mode. Experimenting strategies with battle saves is a lot better than just resorting to something like turtling and can help you become a better player as long as you don't go through each battle with units dying.

Edited by LoneRecon400

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:41 PM, LoneRecon400 said:

There's a 1 might difference between the two weapons and a base Arthur with a Spear Fighter pair up does not get doubled by Oboro. The only thing that could cause that is Arthur wielding a Hand Axe.

This seems like the most likely explanation.

The first thing that came to mind was Oboro's Personal Skill, but I then read that it does not affect her defence, nor does it seem to be Phase based.

On 3/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, DarkDefeater said:

I was so put off by this that I decided to go from classic to casual; something I very rarely do. 

If you were put off by this, you will need medication for the last third of the game. Chapter 10 does not even take that long to replay.
I prefer a restricted campaign of Conquest on Hard than a common Lunatic one, for I can complete the former with way more diverse parties and challenges.

Anyway, enjoy the game. Conquest is the best there is. I do not even know how many times I have completed it. Twenty for sure.

Edited by starburst