FE1 Project War of Darkness (Enhancements and Randomizer) [Open Beta]

Polinym

Hello people! I hope you can humor me and my obsession with hacking Shadow Light and the Dragon of Blade or whatever! I've decided to merge my three different "projects", pure translation, improvement/modding, and a randomizer into a single project I'm calling "Fire Emblem - War of Darkness". The goal here is to add improvements to Blade of Light to bring it up-to-speed with its remakes. I also thought I'd open it up to the public for ideas and testing. Currently the script is as bug-free as it's ever been. Here's a list of all the things I've added as "enhancements" so far:

- Camus is recruitable by Astria
 - Mages use their Strength/Magic to attack
 - Stat window shows MAGIC for Mages instead of STRENGTH
 - Crossbows are short-range only weapons for Archers
 - Thunder/Tron tomes deal bonus damage to Dragon Knights
 - Nyna replaces Biraku in Chapter 5
 - Generals can wield Swords, Lances, and Bows
 - Gradius, Parthia, and the Miracle Rapier are unbreakable
 - Mars starts with a Vulnerary
 - Vulenaries are 3 uses instead of 5
 - Some units have Resistance now (based on Monshou).
 - All units promote using Master Seals now
 - Knights promote to Generals
 - Hunters promote to Horsemen
 - Iron Lances have 6 Might instead of 5
 - New Usability table
 - Added Steel Lance
 - Enemies use Steel Lances like in Monshou
 - Added Killer Lance
 - Added Killer Bow
 - Added Slim Lance
 - Added the Nothung (randomizer only)
 - Miracle Rapier is no longer Mars-exclusive
 - Added Intro
 - Added different song for some chapter intros

Here's my planned additions:

- Healers get EXP from healing
-  Map compression (better support for map changes)
 - Fake Maph tomes / redesign of Chapter 23 based on Shadow Dragon
 - Conversion of Commando class into Starlord (Mars can promote, just need to change animations)
 - Shaver tome (again, need to handle animation bug with Mages for this to work)
 - Randomized chests/village items

darkness2-0.png.241a32a85e6deb53452893054ebcf540.pngdarkness2-1.png.0e6a6e50c3e71de52d5fbcd71da65fe1.pngfalchion-2.png.04afb337d563af3a0e8ff57679ac8d38.png

falchion-5.png.b7a14197989adae7849ea7c8aabc82e2.pngfalchion-9.png.7ca4f75aba1cf32f88da261d4e6c247f.pngfe_n.png.4578abc64a73f71cd818d72191cff653.png
falchion-10.png.2409dd626096b82f684cae3fd6022338.pngfecc1.png.b88a183f40fddde8d7947c778efaf439.pngfecc.png.532de28da824264c34a2df0a20250099.png

I'm open to feedback from you guys on things to improve or whatever you may want modded in. The program I'm using to make these changes and randomize the game is not at a point where I could release it, unfortunately. Nevertheless, if you want more randomized seeds let me know. I threw in some randomized patches as an example with the "just-improvements" patch with randomly named seeds. I also tried to have the randomizer balance everything so you shouldn't get screwed over. There's still a very rare chance of getting a Thief with the Falchion or a Bishop with the Maph, though! 😄

If you happen to get any item in a randomized patch with a name like ???, don't use it. This can happen as since enemies have a rare chance to drop anything in the game. These ??? items may be turned into working things later.
Test it out here:

Latest Patch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2K7SsLOMksapd6CR4Z0fRUmlBoRomsM/view?usp=sharing
Latest Randomizer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F-cBeiVcHY4ZJAjJQ6m6MbQJRU2o_Qx7/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Polinym
Update

• 1 month later...

This sounds interesting, did you make new sprites for Generals and Lances?

Also if I can give an idea, if it hasn't been done already, what about Generals having 6 mov like in the DS remakes? Or Ballistician weapons having 1-2 range like tomes?

20201205035443!Portrait_jiol_fe01.png20201205040348!Portrait_boss_01_fe01.png

And for a very silly idea, these are the two most common boss portraits in the game, but the Harmein portrait never has a playable counterpart, what if you added one or made a boss like Grigas recruitable?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

On 4/9/2022 at 11:42 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

This sounds interesting, did you make new sprites for Generals and Lances?

Also if I can give an idea, if it hasn't been done already, what about Generals having 6 mov like in the DS remakes? Or Ballistician weapons having 1-2 range like tomes?

20201205035443!Portrait_jiol_fe01.png20201205040348!Portrait_boss_01_fe01.png

And for a very silly idea, these are the two most common boss portraits in the game, but the Harmein portrait never has a playable counterpart, what if you added one or made a boss like Grigas recruitable?

Increasing the movement for Generals sounds like a great idea! For ballistae though, I'm thinking of keeping it to 2-range-only for the sake of emulating the long range behavior from later games. Of course, I welcome to be convinced otherwise! I haven't changed any of the animations for the new equips. Generals still use the sword animation for everything, but at least the game doesn't crash. I still haven't learned quite how battle animations work with the way they manipulate sprites.

It'd be pretty funny of some of the random bosses were recruitable! I can keep that in mind. ...who do I even pick?

Since the last post, I've added more features:

• You can now deploy less than the unit cap for any chapter.
  • Misheil is recruitable by Maria.
  • Mars can now access the convoy from anywhere, Storage shops are replaced with forts.
  • The Weapon Triangle is now a thing. Swords beat axes, axes beat lances, and lances beat swords.
  • Added the Swordkiller sword, bonus damage against mercenaries and heroes.

For the randomizer:

• Added Yune mode, which removes any balancing for a truly random experience.
  • Optional "buff archers" mode to so archers can deal more damage.
  • (Initially added new code to have all female characters use the female version of the cleric sprite, but this broke Bishop staff animations for some reason).
  • Options are defined in a .txt file per each project. When I release the software for it, you can edit this for most of the settings.

In the past few days, however, I've decided to use all the tools and knowledge I've gained over the many months of working with this game to make a new story out of it. It'll have all the adjustments I've made here, and I'll eventually get around to an "official" release of all the improvements in the base game when this game's done. Of course, if anyone is interested in testing out some of these improvements in vanilla or some randomized roms, I can put another beta path of it here.

time-6.png.53d916eb2ec79bdf1a48a8a5ef6bbf47.pngtime-5.png.3bdd5f6b7f23d8c26def540597ecb7fc.pngtime-4.png.a72ecad4571803dffdb0dbf8258aa962.png

These screenshots are from the new adventure I'm working on. Thomas has the convoy option here because he's the protagonist. Perhaps I might make a separate thread for it sometime.

As always, I'm open to any and all suggestions for improving Shadow Blade and the Light of Dragon!

On 4/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, Polinym said:

Increasing the movement for Generals sounds like a great idea! For ballistae though, I'm thinking of keeping it to 2-range-only for the sake of emulating the long range behavior from later games. Of course, I welcome to be convinced otherwise! I haven't changed any of the animations for the new equips. Generals still use the sword animation for everything, but at least the game doesn't crash. I still haven't learned quite how battle animations work with the way they manipulate sprites.

It'd be pretty funny of some of the random bosses were recruitable! I can keep that in mind. ...who do I even pick?

Since the last post, I've added more features:

• You can now deploy less than the unit cap for any chapter.
  • Misheil is recruitable by Maria.
  • Mars can now access the convoy from anywhere, Storage shops are replaced with forts.
  • The Weapon Triangle is now a thing. Swords beat axes, axes beat lances, and lances beat swords.
  • Added the Swordkiller sword, bonus damage against mercenaries and heroes.

For the randomizer:

• Added Yune mode, which removes any balancing for a truly random experience.
  • Optional "buff archers" mode to so archers can deal more damage.
  • (Initially added new code to have all female characters use the female version of the cleric sprite, but this broke Bishop staff animations for some reason).
  • Options are defined in a .txt file per each project. When I release the software for it, you can edit this for most of the settings.

In the past few days, however, I've decided to use all the tools and knowledge I've gained over the many months of working with this game to make a new story out of it. It'll have all the adjustments I've made here, and I'll eventually get around to an "official" release of all the improvements in the base game when this game's done. Of course, if anyone is interested in testing out some of these improvements in vanilla or some randomized roms, I can put another beta path of it here.

time-6.png.53d916eb2ec79bdf1a48a8a5ef6bbf47.pngtime-5.png.3bdd5f6b7f23d8c26def540597ecb7fc.pngtime-4.png.a72ecad4571803dffdb0dbf8258aa962.png

These screenshots are from the new adventure I'm working on. Thomas has the convoy option here because he's the protagonist. Perhaps I might make a separate thread for it sometime.

As always, I'm open to any and all suggestions for improving Shadow Blade and the Light of Dragon!

Sounds great, note this is what the DS remakes did and mobile enemy Generals are rare in FE1.

Bs_fe02_baron_lance.png

Sure, with the sprites, maybe you could use some sprites from FE2/Gaiden, as they're in the same style. The NES General attack animation could also easily be swinging a Lance, with the lance sprite being taken from another class.

What do you mean by "2 range only for  emulating the long range ballista behavior from later games", do you mean the 3-9/10 Ballistas in other games? One idea you could test out is just giving PachyDerm 1-2 Range as thats the only one used by a boss character and its the "ultimate" ballista, similar to Gradivus the ultimate Lance having 1-2 range.

Besides FE1 Ballisticians are incredibly underpowered, having 4 MOV and using a niche weapon type, they need a buff more than Archers whom get good MOV and stats when they class change to Sniper.

Portrait_massena_fe02.pngPortrait_grieth_fe02.png

Here are some gaiden portraits you could use too.

Portrait_boss_01_fe01.png

So an unused boss in FE1 was Wyler/ワイラー, maybe you could make the recruitable Harmein/NES Boss portrait recruitable be Wylar finally in a game? He could be a Ballistician (particularly if you make the class more appealing), Pirate, General or something else, there is no data for his class and during the class roll, his name can be assigned to any enemy. Also just as Lorenz looks a lil different from the Jiol portrait, you could slightly edit the NESBossFace, like make it red-headed with purple armor or something?

Also for random enemy recruitment ideas:

1. Gomer: Maybe Darros could recruit him?
  2. Merarch: He's heavily implied to be one of Minerva's former vassals, so I guess another Macedonian could recruit him?
  3. Emereus: Merach could recruit him if you add him?
  4. Khozen: If you want another Fire Dragon, maybe Bantu could recruit him? I was going to add Morzas, but that'd be too weird even for a hack.
  5. Heimler: To answer all those old memes and have a very meme-y character do it, if you go with that?
  6. Orridyon: In the DS version, he's stated to be Minerva's former subordinate, so she could recruit him

Thats all for now, tell me what you think?

On 4/16/2022 at 1:14 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Sounds great, note this is what the DS remakes did and mobile enemy Generals are rare in FE1.

Bs_fe02_baron_lance.png

Sure, with the sprites, maybe you could use some sprites from FE2/Gaiden, as they're in the same style. The NES General attack animation could also easily be swinging a Lance, with the lance sprite being taken from another class.

What do you mean by "2 range only for  emulating the long range ballista behavior from later games", do you mean the 3-9/10 Ballistas in other games? One idea you could test out is just giving PachyDerm 1-2 Range as thats the only one used by a boss character and its the "ultimate" ballista, similar to Gradivus the ultimate Lance having 1-2 range.

Besides FE1 Ballisticians are incredibly underpowered, having 4 MOV and using a niche weapon type, they need a buff more than Archers whom get good MOV and stats when they class change to Sniper.

Portrait_massena_fe02.pngPortrait_grieth_fe02.png

Here are some gaiden portraits you could use too.

Portrait_boss_01_fe01.png

So an unused boss in FE1 was Wyler/ワイラー, maybe you could make the recruitable Harmein/NES Boss portrait recruitable be Wylar finally in a game? He could be a Ballistician (particularly if you make the class more appealing), Pirate, General or something else, there is no data for his class and during the class roll, his name can be assigned to any enemy. Also just as Lorenz looks a lil different from the Jiol portrait, you could slightly edit the NESBossFace, like make it red-headed with purple armor or something?

Also for random enemy recruitment ideas:

1. Gomer: Maybe Darros could recruit him?
  2. Merarch: He's heavily implied to be one of Minerva's former vassals, so I guess another Macedonian could recruit him?
  3. Emereus: Merach could recruit him if you add him?
  4. Khozen: If you want another Fire Dragon, maybe Bantu could recruit him? I was going to add Morzas, but that'd be too weird even for a hack.
  5. Heimler: To answer all those old memes and have a very meme-y character do it, if you go with that?
  6. Orridyon: In the DS version, he's stated to be Minerva's former subordinate, so she could recruit him

Thats all for now, tell me what you think?

Say, that reminds me of the time I made sprites for hypothetical dual wielding classes.

Also, holy shit. New recruitable characters? New weapons? More promote-able classes? Characters with actual resistance stats? Bow wielding Generals? I absolutely need to see this!

OP: have you considered a promote-able axe using class? Something like replacing Pirate with Warrior.

lance general.png

hero with axe.png

Edited by Lord Louie
pressed "save" button too soon oops

Here's the current status on the "War of Darkness" project:

Improving the base game is kinda on pause right now, because I want to focus on finishing the original game "Project Time" first and foremost. It'll have a lot of the improvements I've made thus far in it as well (minus the recruitments, as there's a new set of characters this time around).

Those sprites for alternative weapons look fantastic! I'm not sure whether they'll work with the game or not. I still have yet to learn how the game handles sprites for animations.

The general stat stuff is easy! I added the movement boost to the latest improvements. I'd have to look into movement penalties, though. For portraits, I'm probably gonna go ahead an revamp as many of the portraits as I can. I've learned from Project Time how to change portraits properly, so no more of the old derpy art!

time-8.png.fa5478d853586d0a09c38d85f03dc8f3.pngtime-9.png.79ced0ad34b9faed7ce6936f315c9c10.png

I could probably make all those bosses recruitable. The game is actually okay with adding more of anything at all as long as I rearrange the data and find space. It turns out, if I expand the ROM, I can basically make space a non-issue. I'm not sure whether there are mappers to support playing it on a real cartridge, so I'm holding off for now.

Finally, after working until midnight, I was able to get a functioning executable of the randomizer! You can find the patch with the latest improvements, and the randomizer program, below:

The randomizer is actually my first-ever compiled software, so bear in mind I'm no expert. Instructions are in the readme.

Improvements Patch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2K7SsLOMksapd6CR4Z0fRUmlBoRomsM/view?usp=sharing

Randomizer Software: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kq2He1szaTP8Y9OFE6T_daD_KqfGhoDg/view?usp=sharing

The randomizer should only work with War of Darkness, so I included it in with the software.

The general stat stuff is easy! I added the movement boost to the latest improvements. I'd have to look into movement penalties, though.

When making my FE1 hacks, I found stat alterations to be the easiest part, but I couldn't figure out how to change what weapons classes could equip. (Ex. giving Generals the ability to use lances). How'd you do it?

For portraits, I'm probably gonna go ahead an revamp as many of the portraits as I can. I've learned from Project Time how to change portraits properly, so no more of the old derpy art!

Say, this gives me an idea...

Those sprites for alternative weapons look fantastic!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lord Louie said:

When making my FE1 hacks, I found stat alterations to be the easiest part, but I couldn't figure out how to change what weapons classes could equip. (Ex. giving Generals the ability to use lances). How'd you do it?

The original game defined usability for weapons based on what range a given weapon's index number fell into. There's a table at 0x1A3E1 that defines where each range ends. This means that all values less than 0x0c are swords, all less than 0x11 are lances, all less than 0x16 are bows, and so on. The threshold determined which usability pointer the weapon would then use, which points to a list of all class values that can use that weapon. The list pointers start at 0x1A3EA. This makes it very difficult to add new weapons of a given type into the game, as it would have to be within a new index range which would require you to then adjust all other item data down by one.

For War of Darkness, I added a new Weapon Type table into the game, where the game instead gets the index for usable-by-classes list from a table with a type value for every item in the game. 0x00 value means sword, 0x01 means lance, 0x02 means bow, and so on. This means you can change the type for any item without having to move any data.

I also added at least one more usability list, which is Royalty, for Rapiers.

Weapon exclusivity is determined by a weapon's Weapon Level, the table at 0x3D6C3. Weapon exclusivity will override the type value in the usability table, which can be seen in the base game by changing Mars's class and having him wield one of his three unique weapons.

8 hours ago, Lord Louie said:

I was thinking, would working on FE3 map sprites interest you? The map sprites in Mystery of the Emblem are rather sprite and there's a specific map animation that could be helpful to the hacking community if you're ever interested?

Also do you plan to make a Javelin or hand Axe for the General and Hero respectively? If not, Gaiden shows its possible to have classes only be able to use Javelins as a melee weapon.

5 hours ago, Polinym said:

The original game defined usability for weapons based on what range a given weapon's index number fell into. There's a table at 0x1A3E1 that defines where each range ends. This means that all values less than 0x0c are swords, all less than 0x11 are lances, all less than 0x16 are bows, and so on. The threshold determined which usability pointer the weapon would then use, which points to a list of all class values that can use that weapon. The list pointers start at 0x1A3EA. This makes it very difficult to add new weapons of a given type into the game, as it would have to be within a new index range which would require you to then adjust all other item data down by one.

For War of Darkness, I added a new Weapon Type table into the game, where the game instead gets the index for usable-by-classes list from a table with a type value for every item in the game. 0x00 value means sword, 0x01 means lance, 0x02 means bow, and so on. This means you can change the type for any item without having to move any data.

Weapon exclusivity is determined by a weapon's Weapon Level, the table at 0x3D6C3. Weapon exclusivity will override the type value in the usability table, which can be seen in the base game by changing Mars's class and having him wield one of his three unique weapons.

By the way, what did you think of the ideas for altering a few specific Ballista weapons?

12 hours ago, Polinym said:

That's really interesting! Btw thanks again for letting me play War of Darkness its really fun and convenient having the convoy feature. I accidently didn't save my progress but ill get back to my original save position.

7 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

By the way, what did you think of the ideas for altering a few specific Ballista weapons?

I think that, for maybe one or two ballistae, that could work. Yeah, Ballistae are pretty useless anyway. Right now, Project Time has Elephant set to 1-2 range.

19 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I was thinking, would working on FE3 map sprites interest you? The map sprites in Mystery of the Emblem are rather sprite and there's a specific map animation that could be helpful to the hacking community if you're ever interested?

Hmm, what did you have in mind?

On 4/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Polinym said:

There's an old FEU post (made back in 2015!) detailing how to add a table to the game that can be read by Nightmare Modules and the like to add new weapons. While testing it out for a special version of my Famicom Merciless hack (which can be found here) https://feuniverse.us/t/fe1-famicom-merciless/14409 featuring a 2-Range sword for sword-locked classes, a Poleaxe, a Killer Axe, and a Devil's Lance (though I never found out how to give it the devil effect...)

I found that the area of code the table occupied made it incompatible with your translation patch, as the FEU post details. I'm glad you've seemingly already solved this.

I'm considering updating the project with even more additions once your hacking tools see a public release.

Nice work on that other hack! I think, if I recall correctly, the Devil axe and sword are actually special cases when the combat script is run (a CMP #$09 and CMP #$0a, if you will). You could probably modify one of the existing tables to determine the curse effect for every time.

I actually couldn't figure out how to use the Nightmare modules. I heard about them halfway through my translation project, tried them, couldn't do anything and gave up. Nevertheless, I now just use my own program "Basilisk" in Python to extract all the relevant data to text files and insert it again.

script.PNG.0ef8ee295f5f6d8c3664a84b863f7012.PNGitems.PNG.afcc68d0ff4764609b8009ce10310a06.PNGevents.PNG.ae885ca79b84dc607525f0ed7d3b8f04.PNG

Also, I updated the release of the Basilisk Jr. program, which is the randomizer for War of Darkness, in the first post. Version 1.1 allows you to compile it multiple times without re-opening the program, and makes playable Generals use the MOV 7 - SKL 4. The patch is updated there too.

12 hours ago, Polinym said:

I actually couldn't figure out how to use the Nightmare modules. I heard about them halfway through my translation project, tried them, couldn't do anything and gave up.

As the man who created the majority of the FE1 Nightmare modules, most of them date back to the region of 2015-17 or so. Due to various workarounds I had used making things like the item editor, most of them are only compatible with Nightmare 2, which is a worse program than Nightmare 1. It seems like you've got your own solution for the issue anyway, so at least things worked out.

On a more relevant note, I see you've done some nice work with FE1. SNESFE portraits? The weapon triangle? I'm definitely interested in any custom hacks you create.

1 hour ago, GrahnyeStan said:

Is there a patch available with just the translation?

There's some out there, but they've got some bugs. I'll get to it after I finish Project Time. It's gonna take some work to undo all the adjustments I've made to the game, so hold tight until then.

Edited by Polinym

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on things so far:

All 18 chapters for Project Time, or Time for Tom, are complete. It's currently in the testing phase, as I'm having Mareeta play through the game right now and fixing bugs as she goes along. It shouldn't be long before that's ready for a public release and I can continue work on the original War of Darkness mods.

In the course of Time For Tom I've added some improvements which I'll migrate to WoD later. Notably...

time-19.png.d55d73c2d48e921036f991e9b5ad947a.pngtime-16.png.6d35a54434b3cc3a997d2989e1a17ef1.pngtime-20.png.9d78be6b1f0c6216b6445d82812f786d.png

Enemies can now get Resistance! It's based off the base stats for classes in Monshou for all classes. However, Mages, Clerics, and Bishops with levels 10 or greater receive about double Resistance. I can remove this if you other people think this is a bad idea. There is one special case for Resistance for one particular character in Time For Tom, though!

Playable characters can now have Resistance growth! This'll be a thing in Time For Tom, but it might not be appropriate for Akaneia.

Stat caps have been raised to 50, and Level caps have been raised to 30.I'll have to add some protection against overflow later. I may revise this for War of Darkness though. I'm not sure if the game needs it. Heck, does Light Blade and the Dragon of Shadow even need any of this...?

I cleaned up the font a bit so all the letters are the same size.

- time-17.png.dadd74783b1fea8021f241c7cef0f692.png

Bishops and Paladins now have updated sprites! I plan to many of the others too. You may have already also seen the updated Archer sprite in a previous post. Battle sprites aren't updated though. I may get around to those if I feel like it. I don't think anyone'd care that much. I may also use the Monshou sprite for Bishops in War of Darkness.

time-18.png.5459a5a7e24985800098a9e82ac4a214.pngtime-21.png.3cf12bb186f0e0a88679c4f104a1eba4.png

A few other tweaks here and there as well. I've decided that Mamkute weapons are going to be infinite-use, so as to encourage players to use them. Plus, infinite-use weapons get a few extra characters for their names! Also, I made the SUSPEND and SEIZE buttons green like they appear in later games.

Anyway, Time For Tom will be out soon. Then, I'll focus on making a mod-free translation patch, then eventually get around to adding more features to War of Darkness. For now, though, feel free to enjoy the Randomizer and existing patch in the first post!

Edited by Polinym

Today I was messing with map sprites, using a Thracia-style tileset created by someone else. I learned two things from this:

- Thracia mapsprites look really nice on NES, especially the pirates.

- Terrain can be animated the same as units! Despite the fact that I knew the game switches image banks every second in order to play animations at a steady pace, I never thought to alter the background elements this way. Attached here is a video of trees I animated moving up and down.

Fire Emblem With Thracia Style_002.png