Best Place To Find Apartments For Rent?

So since I don't really use any other forums and Google's not really helping me, I thought I'd ask here and hope that someone can help me out. I'm trying to help my friend find an apartment to move in to with her sister as they really need to move out (my friend is currently living with her now-ex boyfriend whose a bit controlling and her sister is living with her fiancée whose mentally abusive...). Unfortunately, her sister has a dog which makes finding an apartment even harder than it already is since most places don't accept dogs it seems, and she would need to take the dog with her. Are there any good websites or anything you suggest? My friend pays $1400 per month for her apartment now if that helps, so anything around that price would be good.

Edit: In the United States, more specifically the state of New York.

Edited by BlueFalcon29

Try thinking local instead of the internet. Pick up one of those apartment finder guides typically found in the entrance of grocery stores or other businesses which are tailored to apartments in the local area where the guides are distributed. They usually clearly label the apartment policies, possibly showing an icon like a dog or bone to indicate pet friendly. The local newspaper (and/or its website) or weekly city newspaper my also be good places that advertise apartments.

Also consider the possibility of staying in a long term hotel (at least temporarily) instead of an apartment. Extended Stay America is one example (I've used it for regular length stays several times) and they are pet friendly: https://www.extendedstayamerica.com/company/faqs

Worth noting is it's a bad time to be a renter as rates all across America are skyrocketing https://www.ibj.com/articles/rents-skyrocketing-across-united-states-with-no-end-in-sight

I don't actually live in Apartments a lot, but I might try to find a best research website for Apartments. (I'm usually live in Houses right now, but I did stay at a two Dorm Apartments from Year 1 at my university before I moved to my new home when my mother found it.) I think the best-looking Apartment might recommend trying out is Core since I been there around for the first semester, and they usually keep the place clean up like the Hotels (I don't know if the Core Apartments are located available in New York?) or The Summit Apartment Homes instead? (I don't know if the Summit Apartments Homes are located available in New York?)

Edited by King Marth 64

I used Zillows when I first arrived in New York City and quickly found a rental place to live. That being said, I was kind of lucky and got a pretty decent place on my second or third day there, so I only stayed in my hotel for like two nights before moving in.

If you or anybody close to you know a realtor, I would also ask them to do a quick check through their database to see if they have any rental listings. Their database is generally more comprehensive and current compared to more public facing databases like Zillows.

I would also recommend joining a Facebook group and other social media groups to find local rentals.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I managed to find my friend a really nice apartment on Zillow that accepts small dogs in her price range. She just applied for it and requested a tour so hoping she gets it. 

Edited by BlueFalcon29