Best minor boss in the series

Jotari

If you say anything other than Glass then you're wrong.

GLASS.png

His swordplay is peerless and the gods fear his name...He could have a better sprite though. I'll admit that much.

Edited by Jotari

Perhaps a strange pick, but I've always had a fondness for Orlo, the boss of Echidna's chapter in Binding Blade. He's a terrible person like a lot of one-off bosses, but unlike most of his peers, the man is subtle, cunning and actually treats his subordinates with respect. He's also privy to a number of important secrets, such as the truth of Prince Myrddin's death, so he actually feels important. I also find it rather fascinating that he shields himself behind his position as a bishop to pretend he is above persecution, claiming opposing him is the equivalent to opposing the Goddess. He has a number of rad lines in Gringe's translation, and the battle convos he has with Saul and Elen are really cool.

Portrait_orlo_fe06.png

Oh, and his design is apparently so good that it was reused twice in the game. Ironically enough, one of his clones happens to be the dumbest one-off boss in the entire game.

I don't know if I'd call him the best minor boss in the series, but he's one of my favorites.

Honorable mention to Eagler, from FE7. Blazing Sword was my first FE, and Eagler is a sort of Lyn mode Camus. The man has a few rad convos with Kent, Sain and Wallace, and I remember him being the first enemy character that I wished was playable, way back when. That, and I love his design.

Portrait_eagler_fe07.png

Man rocks that stache.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Perhaps a strange pick, but I've always had a fondness for Orlo, the boss of Echidna's chapter in Binding Blade. He's a terrible person like a lot of one-off bosses, but unlike most of his peers, the man is subtle, cunning and actually treats his subordinates with respect. He's also privy to a number of important secrets, such as the truth of Prince Myrddin's death, so he actually feels important. I also find it rather fascinating that he shields himself behind his position as a bishop to pretend he is above persecution, claiming opposing him is the equivalent to opposing the Goddess. He has a number of rad lines in Gringe's translation, and the battle convos he has with Saul and Elen are really cool.

Portrait_orlo_fe06.png

Oh, and his design is apparently so good that it was reused twice in the game. Ironically enough, one of his clones happens to be the dumbest one-off boss in the entire game.

That's some solid reasoning right there.

Just now, Jotari said:

That's some solid reasoning right there.

Well, thanks! I'll admit, part of it is that 90% of bossmen in Binding Blade (and the entire series, for that matter) are generic bumbling idiots, so it makes the likes of Orlo, Sigune, Kel and Flaer look a lot better by comparison, just because a little more effort was put into them.

This all reminds me of a tier list I made once of Binding Blade bosses in terms of writing quality. I think it holds up well enough. As for why I'd waste my time on such a thing... Eh, I'll admit, I've always been fond of the concept of minor bossmen. I'm weird like that.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, thanks! I'll admit, part of it is that 90% of bossmen in Binding Blade (and the entire series, for that matter) are generic bumbling idiots, so it makes the likes of Orlo, Sigune, Kel and Flaer look a lot better by comparison, just because a little more effort was put into them.

I guess I'd class Flaer as a minor boss. He feels like he hangs around enough before you fight him to just be on the cusp of becoming a somewhat important character.

General Kasatai of course. He comes off as a very multifaceted character. 

He's firmly against Ena's promotion but doesn't hold it against her, and is in fact very cordial towards her.
He's a racist but finding out Ena's a dragon reinforces his loyalty rather than decreases it, and it doesn't seem to just be for tactical reasons.
He's very bloodthirsty in combat but reacts in horror at the idea of his king deliberately destroying the people of Crimea. 

POR/RD DRAFT - CHAPTER 21 - Imgur

Mustafa, definitely. The man's probably one of the most compelling characters Awakening had (especially given how little time he had on screen), and he wasn't even a main cast member.

Made Ch. 10 arguably the most memorable chapter in the game for me.

Depends what you class as a minor boss. Can I count Shiharam as one? I think he only actually shows up for a single chapter, but is mentioned beyond that by Jill and Haar. If not, then I like both Mustafa and Kasatai as picks. Both of them are interesting enough for me to actually remember them. Shout out as well to Cervantes and to Kezhda, both of whom are ridiculous in their own ways. Oh, and also to Miklan, who manages to be both complete scum but also somehow slightly sympathetic.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

General Kasatai of course. He comes off as a very multifaceted character. 

He's firmly against Ena's promotion but doesn't hold it against her, and is in fact very cordial towards her.
He's a racist but finding out Ena's a dragon reinforces his loyalty rather than decreases it, and it doesn't seem to just be for tactical reasons.
He's very bloodthirsty in combat but reacts in horror at the idea of his king deliberately destroying the people of Crimea. 

POR/RD DRAFT - CHAPTER 21 - Imgur

I agree; Kasatai was definitely very interesting as a character, which is very impressive considering his character only appears for one chapter and he isn't even the actual boss of that chapter.

It does depend on the definition of minor boss. My usual vote for this is Carlyle, if he counts - he's only in one chapter, but he's very memorable, creepy, and ties in with the game's theme of evil stemming from strong but unachievable desires (Lyon, Orson).

These days I'll also mention Lonato. He's a decent but arguably misguided guy fighting for a hopeless cause. And while that's been done before, I love the way he's your first real look at the complexity of the people arrayed for and against the Church in the game. On replays, I love the way the different lords feel differently about his actions. And I like the way his actions echo through Ashe, the Catherine/Ashe paralogue, and Ashe's decisions on CF (and to a lesser extent SS/VW).

I'll also second the various votes for Mustafa, Eagler, Kasatai, and Miklan (if he counts), among others. Mustafa would probably get my vote if Carlyle/Lonato (and similar) are deemed too important, so it's nice to see he's actually kinda popular.

Morgan, naturally, followed by the kind and gentle Bauker.

Okay, in all seriousness, I would like to second Carlyle as a serious option, and my very favorite bandit boss: Seamus. The man is hilarious.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Morgan, naturally

Morgan isn't a one-off boss though, he's a protagonist.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

my very favorite bandit boss: Seamus. The man is hilarious.

For those of you who don't recognize the name, he's from Berwick Saga. And I second this, he really is the greatest bandit boss to ever bandit.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

O RLY?

Anyway, my pick is Mannu, the Manakete-King of Pyrathi. His relevance begins and ends within the confines of his own chapter, and he apparently wasn't even important enough to bring back for FE3 Book 1. But he introduces himself with one of the best lines in the game:

Portrait mannu fe11.png

Interlopers! Barbarous filth! They dare dig their heels and hooves into this hallowed ground? I will kill them for this- one by one- then turn the crimson grass beneath them into their pyre!

He talks a big game for somebody who can't even counter at range. Also he's the first Manakete you fight in the game and in the series, so that's cool I guess.

I am legitimately surprised not one person has mentioned the almighty BATTA THE BEAST. I suppose this is my time to shine then.

His glorious muscles. His fair, yet tough complexion. His rockin' hair. What's not to love?

To really drive this home, it should also be mentioned that the artist for Arden and Dorcas in Heroes, Soeda Ippei, does wonderful portraits for characters throughout the series (if you've ever wondered what a younger Garon or Niime looks like, he's done those), and Batta's glorious image could not have been done any better justice.

Spoiler

Best FE Antagonist || Round 4 || Sword of Seals - FEH Fluff - GamePress  Community

Fear him. Cherish him. When next he strikes, you will know his name... BATTA THE BEAST.

28 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Mannu, the Manakete-King of Pyrathi.

As a Spaniard, I love this guy's name. You see, Manuel is one of the most common male names in Spain. The most common diminutive for the name Manuel is Manu. So here we have the big shot dragon king of an isolated island nation who shares a name with my high school bus driver. Amazing.

Honestly though, I get it. Shadow Dragon writing is so good. I wish they gave those guys more games to localize.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

O RLY?

Anyway, my pick is Mannu, the Manakete-King of Pyrathi. His relevance begins and ends within the confines of his own chapter, and he apparently wasn't even important enough to bring back for FE3 Book 1. But he introduces himself with one of the best lines in the game:

He talks a big game for somebody who can't even counter at range. Also he's the first Manakete you fight in the game and in the series, so that's cool I guess.

Man oh man oh Mannu, the number of headaches trying to realistically imagine him and his country in the canon has caused me. The disinterest the story has in this entire country is staggering.

3 minutes ago, Angery Roshea said:

Fe5's Paulus, the true Camus of FE5.

I know that is, and I agree, he's a pretty cool guy. I actually would have liked if they'd made him show up again as, while it's definitely possible to kill him, it's not like it's exactly easy. They could have fielded him in a later chapter just for more cohesion.

• U-Can’t-Touch-This MC Ninja of Conquest’s Chapter 17.

Mischievous plans, menacing appearance, relevant backstory, great skills and challenging fight.

oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh!

Edited by starburst