Leif as a character

FailWood

Discourse about Leif is actually pretty high in some FE communities, it just depends on where you go. 

I'm not going to be specific because I don't want to spoil anything for you, but he gets quite a bit of content for a side character in FE4, and then of course he ended up getting an entire game about him. He feels more relatable because you get to see many of the events in both those games that put him in the position he is in, a lot of lords who are only in one game don't have that luxury. Furthermore, he makes mistakes in Thracia and gets in over his head, and pays the price for it.

He's a classic style lord with some real baggage and understandable hatred towards those who wronged him and his family. In short, he just feels like a real person which is different to me then a "well written fictional character", I don't think he is incredibly ground breaking, I don't think he was designed to be, but he is one of my favorites solely on how easy it is to relate to his feelings.

Easily the most grounded Lord in this series imo, the closest person I can think of to him is FE11 Marth.

I like him. I've been disenchanted with most FE lords, but Leif is pleasantly endearing to an extent. I'll give the little guy some praise. Probably the best of the "Marth" general archetype that predominated the male lordship until like Hector came about.

Since Thracia was the last game to get a coherent fan translation and even then is very janky in gameplay for some, it's understandable that its lord wouldn't be so talked about.

3 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

Easily the most grounded Lord in this series imo, the closest person I can think of to him is FE11 Marth.

He also has the most realistic hair colour of any Lord in the series. Coincidence? I think...Maybe.

I particularly like Leif, as he is one of the few lords they let fail, and live to tell about it. An underdog that causes some military upsets, and some serious blunders. His two advisors make for an interesting dynamic with him, as they embody very different ideologies, with one as a very pragmatic ends justify the means philosophy, while the other follows and endorses a more rigid knightly creed. Even with them in the story, there are times when he defies them, or have his emotions clash against them, or even chose to side with one over the other...