What are ways I could use the unused mystery of the emblem units

Groogisogorop

8 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I can give you the character IDs and the ability to replace a unit's ID, but be warned, there is still no compatible portrait. Also changing portraits is a separate code.

That would be really helpful, thank you, and I actually have the ids so I just need the code but thank you

Edited by Groogisogorop

It may be possible but it probably wouldn't be as interesting as you expect. At least not without a major amount of work.

First off, FE3 has a maximum unit count of 45 playable characters in both books. I've not looked into going beyond that cap very much, mind, but I doubt the game handles going beyond that very gracefully. There may not even be enough space in the save data for it.

So you would probably wind up just replacing one unit with another. As Hardin mentioned, there's no portrait data for these units, so the best you can do is swap in their base stats/names.

You would also have to swap out their classes, which introduces another issue. Several of the removed characters use classes that aren't playable in FE3. In Wrys's case, the male cleric class doesn't exist at all. For Beck and Jake, there's the issue of ballista all having 0 movement and the fact that siege weapons aren't programmed to be usable by players at all(they can be used, but they have some bugs that would need to be fixed and some other behavior tweaks to be used in the way you probably expect). And with Jake, Beck, and Darros, there's an issue where the ballista/pirate map sprites aren't guaranteed to be loaded correctly on every chapter. So you'd wind up with units with invisible idle sprite on most maps.

Oh trust me, I’m aware of how poorly it would function, I’ve already made Marth a dark dragon and berserker and I’m just trying to screw around, I’m not expecting it to work smoothly, I just want to know if anyone knows a code that would allow me to do this stuff with the character changing

9 hours ago, Groogisogorop said:

So can I have the code please?

Sorry about the late reply, it was a busy/rough day yesterday for me.

7F44A6 XX

So this should turn the character in slot 4 into  someone with the above.

7F4491 XX

And if we change the class of hte same unit like this

7F44A7 XX

And now the portrait

So if we wanna make Wrys:

7F44A6 08

7F4491 1A

7F44A7 67

For the portrait, we can also 47 for Volzhin's portrait.

7F44C6 0E

7F44C7 73 or 21

7F44B1 01 or 1E

Now Here's Slot 5 with Darros, again you can feel free to add whichever last two digits you want.

7F44E6 2E

7F44E7 0B

7F44D1 02 or 23 for class

And Slot 6 with Jake.

7F4486 27

7F4487 6B

7F4471 0D or 23

For slot 3 with Beck

7F4466 2D

7F4467 2C

7F4451 07

For slot 2 with Roger.

The portraits are just my best guess for most fitting and for classes, I put an alternative class if their original class is no longer there or glitchy when playable. Feel free to change those last two values to whatever you want. The first thing row of each character is the ID.

The non glitchy enemy class is Soldier which works perfectly, also if you turn a character with a male ID into a pegasus or wyvern rider, they will use the male rider sprite and dismount to a male dismounted knight.

Other enemy classes like pirate don't have their idle map sprites load on all maps and will get glitchy opponents when they use the arena, though you can still use them even if they have glitchy idle sprites. The same applies to all the dragon classes bar Fire Dragon and female Manakete/Tiki. Also Shooters are basically unplayable even with cheats due to some quirk with the AI regarding siege weaponry.

Hope this makes up for my late reply. I'd like to do some FE3 hacking one day.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

4 minutes ago, Groogisogorop said:

Thank you very much, and sorry you had a rough day

Its ok, I'm trying  to manage now and your welcome.

Also Orridyon has an unused palette, but the horse/mounted sprite is unfinished. I think Vyland FE actually finished up that palette.

Outside of Cavaliers/Paladins to armors/Generals and vice a versa, boss+Sheena's palettes work well in the class they're supposed to be. Like Rumel, Book 2's Wyvern boss, looks perfect dismounted.

What do you plan to do with the IDs, right nw?

7 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

It may be possible but it probably wouldn't be as interesting as you expect. At least not without a major amount of work.

First off, FE3 has a maximum unit count of 45 playable characters in both books. I've not looked into going beyond that cap very much, mind, but I doubt the game handles going beyond that very gracefully. There may not even be enough space in the save data for it.

So you would probably wind up just replacing one unit with another. As Hardin mentioned, there's no portrait data for these units, so the best you can do is swap in their base stats/names.

You would also have to swap out their classes, which introduces another issue. Several of the removed characters use classes that aren't playable in FE3. In Wrys's case, the male cleric class doesn't exist at all. For Beck and Jake, there's the issue of ballista all having 0 movement and the fact that siege weapons aren't programmed to be usable by players at all(they can be used, but they have some bugs that would need to be fixed and some other behavior tweaks to be used in the way you probably expect). And with Jake, Beck, and Darros, there's an issue where the ballista/pirate map sprites aren't guaranteed to be loaded correctly on every chapter. So you'd wind up with units with invisible idle sprite on most maps.

I gave some portrait suggestions for the unused units, like old villager man or a bishop boss for Wrys.

From what I remember, you can go over the unit limit, like 3 or 5 more, but just don't go nuts.

When you try to use a siege tome or ballista in FE3, you'll get a pointer like with the physic staff, but you can't click on anything far and the most I can do is click on a unit right next to the unit using the siege weapon, in which case a battle will start, but no attacks will be launched and the battle ends.

It'd be interesting to see if you could fix the engine to work for player units.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

21 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

When you try to use a siege tome or ballista in FE3, you'll get a pointer like with the physic staff, but you can't click on anything far and the most I can do is click on a unit right next to the unit using the siege weapon, in which case a battle will start, but no attacks will be launched and the battle ends.

It'd be interesting to see if you could fix the engine to work for player units.

It works if you disable animations. And there's no range limit on them.

I do have a fix to make them work in player unit hands, but it's a complex ASM hack and probably beyond what OP was looking for.

8 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

It works if you disable animations. And there's no range limit on them.

I do have a fix to make them work in player unit hands, but it's a complex ASM hack and probably beyond what OP was looking for.

I'll try that next time. Didn't moving Shooters in FE3 cause the game to freeze even if they had a MOV stat?

You mean a FE3 hack patch, I like that! FE3 needs more hacking.

I wonder if its possible to get the enemy AI to be able to switch between two equipped weapons?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I posted the code to enable siege weapons and add a range check to a gist a while ago.

https://gist.github.com/RobertTheSable/448d6537acf2a2279d26c79e9cf042e4

Since I don't think there's any value on enabling the patch on its own, I didn't create an IPS or similar patch for it. You need to apply it with asar: https://github.com/RPGHacker/asar/releases/tag/v1.81

On 3/19/2022 at 7:43 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Its ok, I'm trying  to manage now and your welcome.

Also Orridyon has an unused palette, but the horse/mounted sprite is unfinished. I think Vyland FE actually finished up that palette.

Outside of Cavaliers/Paladins to armors/Generals and vice a versa, boss+Sheena's palettes work well in the class they're supposed to be. Like Rumel, Book 2's Wyvern boss, looks perfect dismounted.

What do you plan to do with the IDs, right nw?

I gave some portrait suggestions for the unused units, like old villager man or a bishop boss for Wrys.

From what I remember, you can go over the unit limit, like 3 or 5 more, but just don't go nuts.

Sorry, I just plan on maybe doing a run with a bunch of weird units for laughs, also I got different results when using ballistas, because instead it was basically just I can click any unit on the map and then they attack me, and also idk why but when I made Gharnef playable Imhullu isn't making me immortal for some reason, idk why.

Imortality may only work for enemies. Or maybe it only works in certain chapters. Hard to say. FE3 has a lot of code with conditions that make assumptions that fall apart if you go off of the base game experience. Try making Xane a different class, making a female unit a mercenary and try to use the lady sword, or making someone besides tiki a divine dragon, just for a few examples.

Edited by Robert Stewart

On 3/21/2022 at 10:22 AM, Groogisogorop said:

Sorry, I just plan on maybe doing a run with a bunch of weird units for laughs, also I got different results when using ballistas, because instead it was basically just I can click any unit on the map and then they attack me

The boss characters with palettes are the most fun to use, I feel, want me to list them for you?

Thats the same result I got with Shooters and siege tomes, but apparently they'll work if you turn animations off?

On 3/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, Robert Stewart said:

Imortality may only work for enemies. Or maybe it only works in certain chapters. Hard to say. FE3 has a lot of code with conditions that make assumptions that fall apart if you go off of the base game experience. Try making Xane a different class, making a female unit a mercenary and try to use the hero sword, or making someone besides tiki a divine dragon, just for a few examples.

Also to @Groogisogorop

I remembering reading somewhere, maybe from CamusTheDark, that the property of Imhullu blocking attacks is somehow linked to Gharnef's ID itself. That said, the Darksphere will work in blocking attacks for the player, its even obtainable in the bad ending unlike in FE12.

From what I remember, a female unit in the mercenary class still can't use a ladysword, though I think Malice in BS FE used one.

Edited by Emperor Hardin