Fog

drattakbowser

8 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I thought the view range in fog of war chapters were consistently the same?

Some games give thieves better vision in fog of war than other classes. Radiant Dawn gets special mention for having different vision range for most classes (and a shout out for gameplay and story integration, as birds have crap for vision in fog of war - except Janaff, that is).

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Some games give thieves better vision in fog of war than other classes. Radiant Dawn gets special mention for having different vision range for most classes (and a shout out for gameplay and story integration, as birds have crap for vision in fog of war - except Janaff, that is).

Well, the only game that I have that features these kind of maps is 3H which is kind of underused, tbh. But it's nice to see that there's another reason to use an wider range of classes.in the older games.

Well, if a unit gives higher vision in fog (Thieves, in most games), then they're a good pick to bring to maps with fog-of-war. As are units carrying Torches or the Torch Staff. Aside from that, I would say units who are survivable are broadly a good choice. Units with high HP and Defense who can take plenty of enemy hits, or those with high Speed and Luck who can park on a forest tile and dodge what the enemy throws at them. Armors, Fliers, and Cavalry are slightly more of a risk than usual, because the enemy army may have effective weaponry you can't see. Then again, the Canto ability is also nice, as a unit can move to another part of the map, see they're under threat, and "nope" out. Alternatively, Canto is great to pick up frailer units (i.e. Thieves) who may put themselves in danger trying to shed light on new parts of the map.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:55 PM, Armchair General said:

I thought the view range in fog of war chapters were consistently the same?

Different chapters have different fog settings, affecting how many tiles each unit can see. Being a thief or having a torch provides a flat bonus to these numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

thinking about which class or character can see in fog better make me thinking about how high hypothetically a pegasus or wyvern rider usually fly. because fog commonly only forms at low altitude. so a pegasus/wyvern rider that can spot enemies wyvern/pegasus should be acceptable. while something on the ground like thieves or any scout-type class can spot other ground troops but not the flying type. (i mean, its not like you can light the sky with torches)