Any game that you were looking forward to start playing but lost interest in purchasing/borrowing?

henrymidfields

As the title says. I'm doing this as a sister thread to cipertul's Any games that you really wanted to like but just couldn't?

I was planning to buy Pokemon BDSP, and I'll still get it, as I haven't played DPPt yet. But I'm not all that enthusiastic anymore. Mainly because of apparently how very little update in anything BDSP got (aside from HMs being done away), whether its the regional Pokedex (Seriously, no Gen 5-8 Pokemon that appeared in Hisui?!), the graphics and especially the region map (It's just DPPt's map in pseudo-3D), story or worldbuilding (C'mon, at least Let's Go Kanto had new protagonists, Mega-evolution stones, and Mina!). Honestly, you might as well just create a Virtual Console for the GBA and DS and just port DPPt.

While I'm still looking forward to Persona 5 and Strikers, I'm not exactly enthralled with the complete absence of Naoto, the Shadow Operatives (or at least Mitsuru), or and Chie in P5 proper or Strikers. For those who do not know, Naoto and Chie are from Persona 4, and the Shadow Operatives are from Persona 3, and they teamed up in Persona 4 Arena. Persona 5 has a plot that has much bigger attention from the in-universe public involving corruption of the police force, which Naoto (a detective) and Shadow Operative (also under a police administration) are accustomed to. Yet, Atlus missed an storywriting opportunity by bringing said past veterans in.

I was trying to find a way to experience the story of Radiant Dawn, but now that Three Houses is here, I ended up losing what little interest I had. See my previous posts below for more info:

The ridiculous price I keep getting from EBay also does not help either.

Edited by henrymidfields

Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp is one. I was initially fairly hyped about the remake as I've never played them, but with each delay and my increasingly large backlog, I really don't have the time or interest for another game.

And honestly, the same is kinda true for Triangle Strategy. The demo was fun, but $60 for another RPG when I have several that I need to finish is just more than I can justify right now.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I've been a Zelda fan for a very long time, so I was really looking forward to a new 3D Zelda game on the Wii. Then I saw that they made Link right-handed in the game, and I lost interest in it.

If that sounds like a weirdly small thing to lose interest in a game over, let me explain: I'm left-handed, and for the longest time, Link in The Legend of Zelda has been the only left-handed protagonist that anyone knows about. It was nice having that one little bit of representation, so to see it taken away like that really stung.

Nintendo said their reason for making him right-handed in Skyward Sword was because of the motion controls, but if his handedness really affected the motion controls that much (and a lot of lefties that played Skyward Sword will tell you that it does), then why didn't they make it that Link's handedness depends on the player? Rather than do that, they just made him right-handed with no option to make Link left-handed like he should be.

When I heard that there would be a remaster of Skyward Sword on the Switch, I had some hope that they would fix this; that they would finally add a left-handed mode for the motion controls. Not only did they not add an option to make Link left-handed, they somehow found a way to make the game even less accessible in this regard. With the Wii remote and nunchuck, you could hold them in either hand and it wouldn't affect most games, whereas you can't hold the joy-cons in opposite hands. What did they do for the motion controls? They locked the sword controls to the right joy-con and the shield to the left joy-con, with no option to switch it around.

So... yeah; Nintendo has released Skyward Sword twice now, and both times, I've gone from hopeful and looking forward to the game to holding it up as an example of Nintendo's seeming spite towards left-handed fans of their series.

Another example, funny enough within the same series, would be Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. I've never really been interested in Warriors crossovers, but this one drew my interest because Nintendo advertised it as a prequel to Breath of the Wild that would have the player experience the events of the Great Calamity. What a great idea: a tragic prequel to BOTW like that of Halo Reach, Final Fantasy Crisis Core and Torna: the Golden Country among others. If only what Nintendo had claimed the game would be was actually what the game turned out to be...

My excitement for the game shattered when the game released and it turned out to be an alternate-timeline fanservice plot not connected at all to Breath of the Wild. I decided not to purchase it, both because I lost interest in it, and because it felt like doing so would be encouraging false-advertising.

Imperator: Rome, which is a Great Strategy Game spanning the time period between 304 BCE (a few decades after Alexander's death) and 27 BCE. When it was released, I was very much into Europa Universalis and Stellaris, both by the same developer, and I was quite intrigued by a similar game set in ancient times. However, the game wasn't too well received at release, and while I believe it got improved over time, I never felt like investing into it - not just the money, but also the time and effort needed to "learn" a Paradox game.

Humankind, a 4X game that was expected to be a potential competitor for the Civ series. I like Civ, so a game that's "the same but different" definitely interests me - but when a streamer that I like to watch played the game, both pre-release demos and eventually the release version, it just never clicked with me.

10 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Another example, funny enough within the same series, would be Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. I've never really been interested in Warriors crossovers, but this one drew my interest because Nintendo advertised it as a prequel to Breath of the Wild that would have the player experience the events of the Great Calamity. What a great idea: a tragic prequel to BOTW like that of Halo Reach, Final Fantasy Crisis Core and Torna: the Golden Country among others. If only what Nintendo had claimed the game would be was actually what the game turned out to be...

My excitement for the game shattered when the game released and it turned out to be an alternate-timeline fanservice plot not connected at all to Breath of the Wild. I decided not to purchase it, both because I lost interest in it, and because it felt like doing so would be encouraging false-advertising.

What would be your tentative opinion on Three Hopes?

8 hours ago, pong said:

Humankind, a 4X game that was expected to be a potential competitor for the Civ series. I like Civ, so a game that's "the same but different" definitely interests me - but when a streamer that I like to watch played the game, both pre-release demos and eventually the release version, it just never clicked with me.

I've been curious about that game, actually. Mind linking me to the relevant Twitch/Youtube channel? 

Edited by henrymidfields

27 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

What would be your tentative opinion on Three Hopes?

Well, it's presenting itself as an alternate story in the marketing, so at least it hopefully isn't falsely-advertising itself this time around. That said, I'm not really interested in Warriors crossovers, so I'll have to wait and see if anything about it catches my attention.

By the way, what did you think of what I said about Skyward Sword?

11 hours ago, pong said:

Imperator: Rome, which is a Great Strategy Game spanning the time period between 304 BCE (a few decades after Alexander's death) and 27 BCE. When it was released, I was very much into Europa Universalis and Stellaris, both by the same developer, and I was quite intrigued by a similar game set in ancient times. However, the game wasn't too well received at release, and while I believe it got improved over time, I never felt like investing into it - not just the money, but also the time and effort needed to "learn" a Paradox game.

Pretty much the same. I was never super excited for this one, since classical antiquity isn't a period of history I find as interesting as some others. But I have over 1700 hours in EU4, so you can bet that I was definitely keeping a close eye on this one. But then it came out. And then I stopped keeping a close eye on it.

11 hours ago, pong said:

This one, I did play and I'd say that you aren't really missing all that much. It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't particularly interesting. I played through one campaign, started a second one, realised that I was incredibly bored, dropped the game, and have seldom thought about it since.

.hack G.U. Last Recode
i was interested in this collection when it first came out on PS4 and soon lost interest in it when i learned that these 3 games actually take place 7 years after the previous 4 ones, and that the .hack franchise also consists of other forms of media such as manga series, light novels and anime (which i'm sure none made it to Europe, much less Italy), i just realized it would've required too much time and effort, which is a shame because i'm actually interested in trying them out as games, not as elements of such a fragmented macro-story

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series
i actually bought P5R Royal and P3 Fes (PS3 digital store), but i still haven't played them because 1) there's too much stuff i'm playing right now (my probably 175+ hours long Elden Ring first run, every Valkyrie Profile game considering Valkyrie Elysium's announcement, etc.) and 2) i'm the kind of player who wants to play a videogame series following its release order (also part of the reason why i'm not getting/playing .hack G.U. Last Recode anytime soon), even when the games aren't really heavily related, and for this reason i would feel like i'd need to start with the very first Megami Tensei game, and then proceed to play them all, and then move to Shin Megami Tensei, and lastly Persona
god i wish days were 60 hours long

3 hours ago, Yexin said:

hack G.U. Last Recode
i was interested in this collection when it first came out on PS4 and soon lost interest in it when i learned that these 3 games actually take place 7 years after the previous 4 ones, and that the .hack franchise also consists of other forms of media such as manga series, light novels and anime (which i'm sure none made it to Europe, much less Italy), i just realized it would've required too much time and effort, which is a shame because i'm actually interested in trying them out as games, not as elements of such a fragmented macro-story

As someone who owns all 7 on PS2 and last recode as well I can tell you that while each one is a part of an overarching story they are pretty much self contained. You don’t need to play I.M.O.Q to play the G.U.s. You don’t need to have seen Signs to understand Legends of the Twilight. The first 4 are a very different beast compared to G.U. and I won’t lie, the 4 are an “acquired taste” shall we say. There is a reason G.U. got the remake instead, it’s a lot more user friendly. However if you simply want to play in order then… you probably want to give up. There are pretty rare and expensive.

On topic for me is Persona 4 Arena/Arena Ultimax I love the Persona series but I just hate arcade fighters, I can’t bring myself to play or enjoy it and that sucks as it’s canon.

23 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp is one. I was initially fairly hyped about the remake as I've never played them, but with each delay and my increasingly large backlog, I really don't have the time or interest for another game.

And honestly, the same is kinda true for Triangle Strategy. The demo was fun, but $60 for another RPG when I have several that I need to finish is just more than I can justify right now.

I opened this thread to say the exact same thing.

I may still get both of these games in the nearby future, we'll see, just not now.

For me, it's Lost Judgment. I was super hyped for the game, but... Well, somehow, I never did end up getting it. I still do intend to get it eventually, but I may as well play Judgment before I get to its sequel.

I don't know if these count since I played through a decent chunk of them before dropping them, but I stopped playing Final Fantasy VIII and The Outer Worlds not too long after I had started them (with FFVIII, I got through the first disk, but haven't played it since). I actually enjoyed what I've played of them, but life and the desire to play other games got the better of me. I'm sure if jumped back into playing them, I might be able to complete them, but there are other games I'd rather play for the time being.

I'll get to 'em one day.

Rune Factory 5. I was hyped when I first heard about it, but apparently it's pretty mediocre and doesn't improve on RF4 significantly. Too bad, but I have all the other games so I'm fine with what I have. Once people start selling used copies for less, maybe I will try it.

And Three Hopes once I realized it was a warriors game lol. Those first few seconds of the trailer brought me up just to put me right back down.

15 hours ago, Yexin said:

i would feel like i'd need to start with the very first Megami Tensei game, and then proceed to play them all, and then move to Shin Megami Tensei

Big SMT fan, and I would recommend skipping MT1 and 2, and going straight to SMT1. MT1/2 are grindfests that have no story significance to the rest of the series, you wouldn't be missing out on much. SMT1/2 are still archaic, but much better than MT1/2, so if you really want to play in release order I would recommend starting at SMT1, but note that gameplay wise the series is pretty repetitive until SMT3, not counting the devil summoner games.

Balan Wonderworld comes to mind. Once the game's issues came out, my brother and I lost all interest.

Mighty No. 9 would belong here...if we hadn't backed the game and gotten a code for the PC version. Never played it.

Edited by Lord_Brand

elden ring kinda hit that way for me. at first i was like 'oh man, it's gonna be dark souls 4!!!!', and then more and more gameplay footage came out, and that kind of sank to 'oh man, it's just dark souls 4...?' and at this point it just sounds like it's ....dark souls 4. all the footage and stuff my friends have shared with me feels like stuff i've done already, except way harder, and at this point i'm just not interested in it.

alas

Literally three times this month, and by the same publisher no less. At least Triangle Strategy was a triumph.

Loved Chocobo Racing as a kid. Got wary of Chocobo Racing GP when they announced Cloud behind a Battle Pass. Turned into a microtransaction-laden mobile-esque Hellhole. How dare you do that to my childhood, Square?

Babylon's Fall looked really cool on its first gameplay footage. A Platinum game with a cool looking protag I want to play in a traditional fantasy setting? YES! And then it went silent for a long time, and came back as a co-op live service. And I was expecting it to flop, which it did to an embarassing degree.

When I heard Koei and Square were collaborating on Final Fantasy, I was pretty hyped. Final Fantasy is quite possibly the most requested license for a Warriors spinoff, and I'm here for that. Then Final Fantasy Origins Stranger of Paradise was revealed as a Souls-like. I can't stand Souls-likes, nor the fanbases of said games. And it really didn't look good with its poor visuals and cringe-factory dialogue. CHAOS!

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

When I heard Koei and Square were collaborating on Final Fantasy, I was pretty hyped. Final Fantasy is quite possibly the most requested license for a Warriors spinoff, and I'm here for that. Then Final Fantasy Origins Stranger of Paradise was revealed as a Souls-like. I can't stand Souls-likes, nor the fanbases of said games. And it really didn't look good with its poor visuals and cringe-factory dialogue. CHAOS!

speaking as a souls fan who hates souls fans i genuinely can't recommend stranger of paradise enough. souls comparisons are way overblown, it's an action game with the only 'souls' trapping being that you have physical checkpoints instead of autosave checkpoints. like, that's it. you don't leave experience on the ground when you die, you don't have esoteric bullshit quests you cannot be reasonably expected to keep track of, none of that. it's just a solid third-person action game with a control scheme two iterations removed from dark souls at best.

won't speak for the writing though. i'm loving it and find that the marketing focused on the meme lines and it's actually got a decent amount of heart to it, but ymmv on that one for sure

E: also it has pausing and difficulty modes, two things which fromsoft fans will have you know would literally ruin the artistic integrity of the souls games

Edited by Integrity

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

speaking as a souls fan who hates souls fans i genuinely can't recommend stranger of paradise enough. souls comparisons are way overblown, it's an action game with the only 'souls' trapping being that you have physical checkpoints instead of autosave checkpoints. like, that's it. you don't leave experience on the ground when you die, you don't have esoteric bullshit quests you cannot be reasonably expected to keep track of, none of that. it's just a solid third-person action game with a control scheme two iterations removed from dark souls at best.

won't speak for the writing though. i'm loving it and find that the marketing focused on the meme lines and it's actually got a decent amount of heart to it, but ymmv on that one for sure

Fair enough. I may pick it up from the bargain bin at some point like I did Jedi Fallen Order, which to date remains the only Souls-like I've had fun with.

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

Fair enough. I may pick it up from the bargain bin at some point like I did Jedi Fallen Order, which to date remains the only Souls-like I've had fun with.

i think if you got it for your country's equivalent of twenty bucks you'd have nothing but a good dumb time with it

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

elden ring kinda hit that way for me. at first i was like 'oh man, it's gonna be dark souls 4!!!!', and then more and more gameplay footage came out, and that kind of sank to 'oh man, it's just dark souls 4...?' and at this point it just sounds like it's ....dark souls 4. all the footage and stuff my friends have shared with me feels like stuff i've done already, except way harder, and at this point i'm just not interested in it.

confirmation: it's just dark souls 4/big dark souls

if you're not down for that then there's no point playing it

still think sekiro is 'more difficult' in a vacuum

Edited by Tryhard

I just remembered a couple others; all JRPGs, interestingly enough.

Dragon Quest 11. I've never played a dragon quest game before, but this one looked really interesting. I played the demo for the definitive edition, I enjoyed it a decent amount, but I tried it around the time I had played a bunch of other story-driven JRPGs with serviceable-at-most combat, and I was not only sick of them, but I realized that I needed more involved gameplay than what these story-driven JRPGs can offer. So, I didn't purchase it.

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars. I just said earlier that I need more from story-driven JRPGs in terms of gameplay than what's normally provided, and this looked like it could've had that: a story-driven JRPG where everything in its presentation is built around cards. I played the demo, and it was okay, but the cards were only presentation; it didn't factor into the gameplay at all.

Edge of Eternity. It's a JRPG that was developed by an indie studio consisting of seven people, and when I saw an announcement trailer for it a year or two ago, it grabbed my attention with an interesting premise and a very neat seamless turn-based combat that uses a hexagonal grid (as in hexagonal tiles instead of square tiles). I then found out about how long it already had been in early access, and then I found out a couple days ago that it had already been released; the fact that it released without me finding out until later did not bode well, and then I saw that it was online-only despite being a single-player JRPG, and then after that, I saw extremely mixed reviews along the lines of "Its heart is in the right place, but it's really not very good". In the face of all that, I decided not to play it.

Edited by vanguard333

• 3 weeks later...

This is more a game that I regret purchasing, but Chocobo GP is one of the worst racing games I've ever played.

For starters, there's of course the menu screen that you can't change, though that's far from the most egregious offense on my list.

The story cutscenes take far too freaking long to play out, and most of the characters are really annoying or otherwise unlikeable. Especially Atla. Seriously, who thought a greedy, lazy, cowardly, manipulative, disrespectful, self-absorbed Moogle with the voice of a 12-year old was a good idea?

Trying to replay story missions is a pain thanks to the lack of a very intuitive "Retry" button. If you want to restart the race - say, because you tried and failed yet again to place first on lap 1 - you can only "Go back to story select" or "Quit", which forces you to sit through a bunch more screens to replay the race with the same character/vehicle configuration you were already using.

Many of the tracks are far too short, which gives you hardly any time to catch up with your opponents if they get ahead. Even worse is when there are short versions of tracks, which take up space that really should have gone to additional tracks for the sake of variety.

The items are horribly imbalanced, with virtually no tiering based on position. Some are borderline useless, like Quake (except when they're being used against you, of course), others are ridiculously overpowered (like the aforementioned Bahamut and warp). Even worse are the character specials, which likewise range from useless (like Claire's invisibility) to infuriating (like Shiva's Diamond Dust).

I'm exceptionally disappointed. This looked like Mario Kart 8 just with Final Fantasy characters, but it turned out to be far, far less than that. Team Sonic Racing looks better than this, and I'm not even interested in that one with the vastly superior MK8D and CTRNF available. Worst game we ever bought for Switch. Do not recommend.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:45 PM, vanguard333 said:

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars. I just said earlier that I need more from story-driven JRPGs in terms of gameplay than what's normally provided, and this looked like it could've had that: a story-driven JRPG where everything in its presentation is built around cards. I played the demo, and it was okay, but the cards were only presentation; it didn't factor into the gameplay at all.

I had the same reaction from the Demo. It felt like there was a whole lot they could do with the card approach, and just... didn't. The cynic in me wonders if they used it so they would only have to draw a single portrait for each character, and give everyone the same voice actor.

Anyway, this one's less an "it looks bad to me" and more "I've gotten lazy", but... Triangle Strategy. I loved the Demo, I'm sure I'll love the final game. But for whatever reason, my enthusiasm has just flown out the window. Maybe it's because I have a critical mass of other games to play right now.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I had the same reaction from the Demo. It felt like there was a whole lot they could do with the card approach, and just... didn't. The cynic in me wonders if they used it so they would only have to draw a single portrait for each character, and give everyone the same voice actor.

I don't know about the card idea, but apparently, the game itself was originally pitched as a mobile game, but Square Enix took one look at the guy's existing workload and told him to make it a paid console game instead.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Anyway, this one's less an "it looks bad to me" and more "I've gotten lazy", but... Triangle Strategy. I loved the Demo, I'm sure I'll love the final game. But for whatever reason, my enthusiasm has just flown out the window. Maybe it's because I have a critical mass of other games to play right now.

That's completely understandable; 2022 has been a big year for games (although one major release, the Breath of the Wild sequel, just got pushed back to 2023, so it's slightly less of a big year than it originally seemed like it was going to be).