Jeddah under attack (wait a second that's where I live!)

Jotari

Another conflict this whole Ukrainian situation is overshadowing is the crisis in Yemen. Though I guess the western news didn't really care about Yemen that much prior the Ukrainian situation. But now it's suddenly affected me in a pretty tangible way as Yemenese missiles have just hit an Aramco facility im Jeddah, which happens to be where I live. I don't have any specific opinions on the crisis, it just seems to be a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, so I'm not really making this thread for the purpose of that (though if people more knowledgeable feel free to share them, I should probably know more given I'm working for one side). Its just more of a "if I suddenly vanish from Serenes you now know why". They've sent missiles before that were intercepted, but it hits home a bit differently when there's a massive fire consuming a part of the city and what sounds like jets flying over at 3am.

Jokes about them only being able to damage Jeddah on the fourth turn would be appreciated.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Another conflict this whole Ukrainian situation is overshadowing is the crisis in Yemen. Though I guess the western news didn't really care about Yemen that much prior the Ukrainian situation. But now it's suddenly affected me in a pretty tangible way as Yemenese missiles have just hit an Aramco facility im Jeddah, which happens to be where I live. I don't have any specific opinions on the crisis, it just seems to be a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, so I'm not really making this thread for the purpose of that (though if people more knowledgeable feel free to share them, I should probably know more given I'm working for one side). Its just more of a "if I suddenly vanish from Serenes you now know why". They've sent missiles before that were intercepted, but it hits home a bit differently when there's a massive fire consuming a part of the city and what sounds like jets flying over at 3am.

Jokes about them only being able to damage Jeddah on the fourth turn would be appreciated.

Good luck on the situation. I'm so damn sick of this world. I am sick to death of Governments having their pointless wars that kill people who don't even understand the full reasons these politicians are butting heads. I wouldn't usually bother to do more than read a thread on the matter. But I want to wish you well given the circumstances.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Though I guess the western news didn't really care about Yemen that much prior the Ukrainian situation

They do cover it, its news after all. but since when they care about it. or rather, should we say since when the audience of western news care about that part of the world? that so many people so shocked about Ukraine war like its the only conflict which kills "civilized" people for the last 2 decade speak a lot.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

"if I suddenly vanish from Serenes you now know why". They've sent missiles before that were intercepted, but it hits home a bit differently when there's a massive fire consuming a part of the city and what sounds like jets flying over at 3am.

i pray this doesn't escalate that you need to evacuate. my previous home was in conflict zone where shooting can be heard from our house before, so i know that uneasiness feeling

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well, if that doesn't work, Jeddah always has a dracoshield for that extra bit of defense and resistance.

In all seriousness, modern warfare is particularly horrible; it's always started by the oligarchs, but it's always the citizens that suffer. At least in Feudal warfare the kings were expected to lead from the front line. Nowadays, political and military leaders can comfortably sit far away while making the decision to kill thousands.

6 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Good luck on the situation. I'm so damn sick of this world. I am sick to death of Governments having their pointless wars that kill people who don't even understand the full reasons these politicians are butting heads. I wouldn't usually bother to do more than read a thread on the matter. But I want to wish you well given the circumstances.

28 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

In all seriousness, modern warfare is particularly horrible; it's always started by the oligarchs, but it's always the citizens that suffer. At least in Feudal warfare the kings were expected to lead from the front line. Nowadays, political and military leaders can comfortably sit far away while making the decision to kill thousands.

I think it's still far better than what came before. Per capita modern wars are far less bloody than conflicts of the past. They say there were no casualties from the attack yesterday, though just because they say it doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

2 hours ago, joevar said:

They do cover it, its news after all. but since when they care about it. or rather, should we say since when the audience of western news care about that part of the world? that so many people so shocked about Ukraine war like its the only conflict which kills "civilized" people for the last 2 decade speak a lot.

i pray this doesn't escalate that you need to evacuate. my previous home was in conflict zone where shooting can be heard from our house before, so i know that uneasiness feeling

I think the concern for Ukraine isn't really about Ukrainians, in truth. It's about the future of international politics. If China invaded Taiwan there would be a similar level of concern (where as if China invaded Kyrgistan there would be a similar level of obliviousness). The proof in the pudding of that is how little attention Russia's invasion of Georgia got.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

These attacks are the work of the fiend Celica.

Shame to Mila.

28 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Well, if that doesn't work, Jeddah always has a dracoshield for that extra bit of defense and resistance.

May Duma guide our way.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think the concern for Ukraine isn't really about Ukrainians, in truth. It's about the future of international politics. If China invaded Taiwan there would be a similar level of concern (where as if China invaded Kyrgistan there would be a similar level of obliviousness). The proof in the pudding of that is how little attention Russia's invasion of Georgia got.

yeah, i notice that too. theres something else which is why its blown out of proportions in terms of coverage.

17 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

you know whats worse than that? not only the "oligarch" who have feud sit comfotably behind the lines, but they decide who come out on top by duking it out in other countries vs other countries. yep, you got it: proxy war. either they hands-off in the end, or send peacekeeping force in the war they incite themselves.

38 minutes ago, joevar said:

you know whats worse than that? not only the "oligarch" who have feud sit comfotably behind the lines, but they decide who come out on top by duking it out in other countries vs other countries. yep, you got it: proxy war. either they hands-off in the end, or send peacekeeping force in the war they incite themselves.

Shame we couldn't just have the oligarchs fight to the death in some manner that made the winner unpredictable to decide their feuds. You know, make their bullshit high stakes for them and only them. A pipe dream really, because no one's ever going to be able to implement it.

7 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Shame we couldn't just have the oligarchs fight to the death in some manner that made the winner unpredictable to decide their feuds. You know, make their bullshit high stakes for them and only them. A pipe dream really, because no one's ever going to be able to implement it.

This is why dueling was invented, btw. But it was outlawed in America partly because mildly irreplaceable people were trying to kill each other over trivial things.

Edited by Armchair General

Try to stay safe (although I am not sure how besides staying in a bunker). While I do not think Saudi Arabia is going to topple anytime soon and have mass panic and civil unrest, a missile from across the border is still something to worry about.