What are the must have DLCs for Echoes and Fates?

Nobody

Since the 3DS eshop will be shutting down soon, I really need to get the good DLC for those two games, as I love them, but never actually got the DLC.

So, what do people consider the must haves?

For Fates:

If you want to mess around with units and builds in general, Ghostly Gold will provide the money and Boo Camp the Exp.

There is Museum Melee for equipment of all kinds but 1) it´s randomized and 2) depending on your progress in the campaign the map can be very dangerous and difficult.

Royal Royale and Beach Brawl can be entertaining, as they are fun little challenges, but the rewards are kinda... apparently nothing of value for Beach Brawl and some stat boosters for the first victory of a challenge in Royal Royale  as well as class change items - Dread Scroll and Ebon Wing (Dread Fighter/Dark Flier).

Before Awakening, Vanguard Dawn, Ballistician Blitz, Witches Trial give yet some more class changers and skill books - Great Lord, Lodestar, Vanguard, Ballistician, Witch. The maps themselves are just blasts from the pasts from prior games: Awakening chapter 2?, Vanguard is some defend chapter from FE Ike, Ballistician is from SD c13 and Witch is from FE 3 I believe.

I don´t have Heirs of Fate, but they give the Stat-taker skillbooks (stat increase upon enemy defeat, for the duration of the map) and the final one gives Point Blank.

Anna on the Run is also a Awakening chapter I think, but let´s you recruit Anna and gives an Arms Scroll.

Hidden Truth 1 & 2 give a classchanger for Grandmaster and an item to give a character the ability to interact with Dragon Veins.

For SoV:

The second Loot DLC - once you can sell stuff you won´t ever need money again and it has a lot of different albeit random and often meh loot. Enemies are easily avoided. None of the other stuff is that great. 

Screw overclasses. The rest is mostly story stuff and some extra characters, though I don´t know if they are bound to an army or not. 

Bolded Maps are the important/most fun enabling ones, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

For Fates:

There is Museum Melee for equipment of all kinds but 1) it´s randomized and 2) depending on your progress in the campaign the map can be very dangerous and difficult.

Museum Melee also gives you a bunch of capturable Units, including every capturable Paralogue Boss(Nichol, Candace, etc.). It's useful if you want to do a captured-only run but it can certainly be tricky if you haven't figured out the way to cheese it.

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

For SoV:

Screw overclasses. The rest is mostly story stuff and some extra characters, though I don´t know if they are bound to an army or not.

The Cipher characters are not bound to a specific army - my first run with them I put Shade and Yuzu with Celica and Emma and Randal with Alm, but then I did a run with only the Villagers and Cipher characters and put Shade and Yuzu with Alm and Emma and Randal with Celica. I believe I heard you can actually have them jump between the armies by going back and completing the Paralogue with the other side, though I haven't tried it myself so it may reset levels and stats if it actually does work.

None of them are must have. If DLC is must have then it's a problem...Unless you want to count Revelations as DLC, which is kind of a must have (ha, who  am I kidding, Revelations isn't a must have either). If you like lore get Heirs of Fates. If you want to cheese the game, get the gold, exp, weapons and classes DLC. If you want to challenge yourself, get those holiday themed ones. Get Before Awakening just in general because it's free. If you like Awakening and hate Fates plot holes, then get Hidden Truths.

Edited by Jotari

I'd say the DLC that let's you recruit new characters are the ones that are the most worth it since... well, you get more units! It's especially good if you're doing something like an Ironman (the FE equivalent of a Nuzlocke, if I'm right). In Fates, Male Corrin gets another option for a partner in Anna (and the best one, don't @ me), so that's a plus.

(As a side note, Revelation is an entire game being cut from the eShop, so unless you have one of the special editions that includes all three paths, you might wanna pick that up if you don't already have it).

Story maps like Rise of the Deliverance and Heirs of Fate are good if you're looking for something beyond the main campaign. However, if you're unsure about them, you can always find playthroughs on YouTube. They do offer some neat items, but they aren't necessary.

Grinding maps are helpful if you'd like to max out your units quickly, and are good in SoV and Conquest, but again, they aren't necessary.

For SoV, overclasses are really cool, but really aren't worth it in the grand scheme of things. The DLC dungeons are hit or miss, but they do offer the chance to find the Sol, Luna, and Astra weapons without going through Thabes Labyrinth for 25 minutes before finding out the rusted weapon you got was a dud. You'd still have to reset a bunch before you find all three of them, but the DLC dungeons makes the process a lot quicker if you're looking for those weapons.

...Man, the eShop closing just sucks. There's no good reason for it. Hopefully there will be another way to get everything on it again sometime in the future.

For Shadows of Valentia, I like the Cipher characters DLC. The four units vary in usefulness: Shade and Randal are great, Emma and Yuzu are okay. But, SoV has a small roster divided in two, you'll likely be able fit them on your teams and get some utility out of them.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Thanks for the answers.

to clarify, though, I'm not interested in DLC for cheesing the game, but rather ones that offer lore/cool maps to play.

In that case, Heirs of Fate is a fun what-if side-story that also happens to give you some Skill Scrolls if you beat them without anyone dying, so I'd say give that collection a chance. You can get it in a bundle if I remember right. Before Awakening is...well, the canonicity of that one is questionable at best, but it's also a fun what-if, and, you know, free, so get that one. plus you can spam Before Awakening to forge the god-Pebble, I think mine is like +7 or +8 right now

Personally I like the map concepts of Ghostly Gold, Boo Camp, and Museum Melee because they're based around a specific objective, so you could use those maps to challenge yourself while also picking up rewards - Boo Camp, for example, wants the enemy count to drop to 0 for the map to be completed. The enemies run for a despawn point, so you can just kill off the ones you can catch for XP, or you can try to see how fast you can kill them all(I managed to get them all Turn 1 thanks to some shenanigans with Dark Falcon Camilla). Ghostly Gold, meanwhile, just says don't die for 8 turns against enemies that try to book it, so you can use that map to build Support easily if you decide you want to fill the SupportDex like I've been doing. Museum Melee is about opening chests and getting free stuff, so you can study the map to work out the optimal strategy to handle all the enemies, which I find fun even if not everyone else does.

For SoV, you'd probably appreciate the Deliverance ones(though I never tried them), as they have some pre-game story and apparently let you unlock new Support conversations between Units that didn't already have them. If I remember correctly someone said there's even instances of Fernand not being a dick, so that might be worth it. Other than that, maybe get the Cipher ones because this is probably going to be the only time any FE game ever acknowledges Cipher outside of Japan, so this might be your only shot to meet Emma, Shade, Yuzu, and Randal, ever.