Legendary Hero: Nanna - Beloved Princess

And our next Legendary Hero is...Nanna, from Thracia 776! I expected her to be a Legendary at some point, but I didn't expect her this month. And, unlike her regular healer self, she's a sword unit here. Nice.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really thought on Nanna for this month but I was like "we just got thracia new heroes, there is no way we getting her". How wrong I was.

She basically boils down to screw in-combat percentage damage reduction and fuck defensive Specials (not sure how this part works, but I assume her attacks can charge defensive Specials, but those Specials will just not trigger).

It is nothing Maria: Sunny Smile cannot handle, I hope.

Edited by XRay

She looks to be a Valentine Lucina counter to me.

Funny how she has Miracle, and her Sword nullifies foe's Miracle.

Edir: I just noticed how they didnt explained what Canto is.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

First things first. They finally decided to shorten the skill descriptions by not explaining the term inside the brackets for the nth time. I just hope that's going to be the same in-game and that it's not only for trailers. 

As for L!Nanna. At first glance she seems like an improvement (or sidegrade depending on stats) to B!Alm. There is no way to mitigate the damage she deals thanks to her Prf, and it also includes the offensive part of NFU to ensure the only way to stop her doubles is outspeeding her. Her exclusive B skill gives unconditional Desperation, Canto, 20% of her Atk becomes true dmg, verycomparable to B!Alm's Scendscale giving 25% with chip damage, and that L!Nanna's true dmg comes from her B-slot rather than A. 

I can see her having 40+ offenses and very low defenses considering her kit. The lack of effectiveness hurts her a bit when it comes to bursting armors and Near Save B!Hector/A!Idunn are going to be a massive pain for her, but other than that she seems like a pretty good unit. 

Hmm, maybe I will go all in on AHR again after all. I do really want Sigurd, and Lilina would be a nice consolation, but I was hoping the third unit would be at least as interesting as them, but from what I see, that's not the case. I'm sure Nanna is powerful, looks like she frontloads massive damage on initiation, but to me it just reads "canto sword cavalry" and I'm content with using the free Reginn I think. As someone who doesn't play competitive modes, it's more about fun and interesting mechanics instead of raw anti-meta power. As mentioned in the past, I do like that legendaries grant bonus stats once more, but a defense boost is probably not something to really build a team around.

Blue is probably good mechanically, but I don't like Chrom or Ullr's art. Green is a write-off and Grey isn't much better. I'm therefore undecided on whether to only open Reds or Reds and Blues. But more importantly, I don't think I'll be spending my entire orb balance on this banner anymore, and may instead spend even more on AHR (with a particular hope for a better-than-neutral Corrin).

Edited by Humanoid

So, this is what IS seriously decided to go with for an extra legendary? Do they really have that little faith in guys like M!Robin, M!Corrin or Xander that they thought Nanna would fare better?

While I'm not upset with Legendary Nanna being a thing (I do like the character), I do feel this will be a complete misfire financially for IS and makes me seriously question why they bothered dropping the Mythic for this month. Nanna is now easily the least popular character they've given a Legendary to and you know you're in bad shape when Hrid is beating you in popularity and failed to place higher than Otr in either CYL5 or CYL6.

And just like Otr's banner, I fear this one will also be just as massive of a bomb.

Why is it that a healer like Nana has a skill set that makes absolutely her foes cannot defend themselves from her attacks and makes sure they stay dead?

Edited by Water Mage

...wait wasn't someone just pointing out how Nanna was a Legendary candidate...?

Nanna joins with a fortunately simple skill description list, and simple effects all united under one trigger: don't be almost dead. I feel like Nanna was maybe made with countering Hardy Fighter in mind, which has become pretty much the only time that any units use defensive Specials anymore (outside of Fjorm or LegCorrin), on top of generally ignoring damage reduction overall. Not even Lif, a very prominent AR unit, fully disables damage reduction... also means Brave Ike is totally and utterly hard countered by Nanna, not like he wasn't already showing some age but this is one pretty big nail to push into his voodoo doll...

Rest of the banner:

• All powerful Red Cav units. LegLilina continues to be a pretty top AoE special user, LegSigurd continues to have a ton of move range (with the understanding that Stall Ploy is now a potential threat), and of course Nanna exists.
  • Leg Chrom, Ullr, and Seiros. One of these is an Armor killer with an annoying PrfAssist, one of these is a perma-Desperation/NFU speedy bow with the Bonus unit perk for Light, and one of these... also has the Bonus unit perk for their element. I guess she also has Dragon Wall...
  • Green feels kinda weak IMO. Thrasir and LegCelica aren't exactly premier Green Tomes these days (though they would be prime for a remix in the next year or two), but then there is Rennac... I mean I guess he has a good inheritable dagger, but... even if I were pulling a lot off this banner... no I can't really justify wanting to pull off Green this time...
  • Colorless looks pretty good. Mila has some good support effects for Light element, Ash (though free) has a solid C passive for some nifty gameplay, and Wolf is better Bernadetta.

Overall solid.
I don't know if I necessarily want or need Nanna yet, but after trying to summon for LegCaeda before... kinda soured to Red on Leg banners, plus I still need to get Spring Marisa.

Edited by Xenomata

Oh fun, another busted wall breaker and the first relevant threat to melee-range percentage damage reduction tanks. It looks like she's intended to completely shut down Gustav and every Edelgard (and Brave Ike).

Whether or not she can handle Valentine Lucina depends entirely on if she does enough damage to kill in one hit since she probably can't reliably double. Lucina has 97 single-hit physical bulk at +10+5 with her base kit and the Darting Breath Sacred Seal. With three Mythic Heroes, she hits a minimum of 112 physical bulk from the boost to HP alone, which means Nanna needs 80 Atk to break through Lucina. I don't think she's hitting that.

Lucina's two-hit physical bulk is 82 with the above blessing bonus, which means Nanna only needs 59 Atk to break through Lucina with Triangle Attack. Or at least before you account for any buffs Lucina might have.

Ascended Idunn has 65 HP and 64 Def at +10+5 with her base kit, the Close Def Sacred Seal, and the above blessing bonus and reduces the opponent's Atk by 5. Even with Triangle Attack, she needs 86 Atk to break through Idunn, which is certainly not happening.

Still looks over-tuned to all hell to me.

So red is clearly stacked with three really good wall breakers.

I guess I'll snipe red and have blue as my backup when there are no red orbs.

Also, yet another unit with Atk/Spd Push 4. There are now 23 of them, three in the Legendary/Mythic pool and one in the Remix pool. This is stupid. Couldn't they have given her something else instead, like Atk/Spd Catch 4 or Surge Sparrow?

On 3/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, Jotari said:

Okay, well we'll wait and see. Time proved me right about Tiki being a Divine Dragon, I'm pretty confident in saying not all of those listed characters will be legendaries (or if they are, they could also get ascended versions). Let's revisit this a year from now when there are more ascended characters.

One down. Seven to go.

And the usual translation notes:

Nanna's epithet, "Beloved Princess", is "敬愛のプリンセス" (keiai no purinsesu), "Loved and Admired Princess".

Lands Sword is "大地の剣" (daichi no tsurugi), "Earth Sword".

Hoðr's Zeal is "ヘズルの聖戦士" (hezuru no seisenshi), "Crusader of Hoðr". Compare to Njörun's Zeal, which is "ノヴァの聖戦士" (nova no seisenshi), "Crusader of Njörun". Using the localized names of Hezul/Hoðr and Noba/Njörun.

25 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

One down. Seven to go.

Don't you mean... 七

Anyways, I'm broke on orbs so idrc about this banner. Nanna does look quite nice in this alt and I am glad she gets earth sword. However, it still feels a bit too soon after her last alt which was... september iirc? Easy skip for me.

Made my decision and over the course of a day I've spent my entire balance of about 200 orbs on the outgoing AHR banner, then subsequently I've grinded back about over half of them of them by doing all remaining Story and Paralogue maps on Normal (and the few stragglers in Lunatic) plus several chapters of paralogue CCs (having recently done all story map ones). Add some more over the coming day plus regular orb income from today and tomorrow and I'll have about 150 to spend.

In a way it's kind of liberating that I've finally caved and have begun to exhaust the reserves of rainy-day orbs I've kept by not doing those maps for years, because there really is no reason to leave anything on the table anymore as a casual player. Still a fair bit more to go of course, most intimidatingly 46 sets of Squad Assault, but I expect to gradually squeeze out those orbs, if not for Golden Week stuff, then for CYL6.

Anyway, going for red only and hoping for Sigurd above all else, but after getting zero Duo Corrins for nearly 500 orbs on AHR summons, it's unwise to be too optimistic.

5 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

I do feel this will be a complete misfire financially for IS and makes me seriously question why they bothered dropping the Mythic for this month.

They're probably lining up June to be a Mythic month for the new god character from Three Hopes.

Nanna's here as a more flexible Brave Alm in a way, I have to use hit-and-run on him in summoner duels. Melee tanks take a big hit, meanwhile Brave Hector still ends his turn.

Nanna: "I'm here to end the Damage Reduction meta!"

B!Hector and A!Idunn: "This is the sound of me caring."

S!Maria: 🙂

L!Caeda and Phina: "What meta?"

Yeah, this one's dead on arrival. That's not to say a Sword Cavalier with a pinch of Ullr and B!Alm is bad, in fact it's pretty good by Canto nuke standards, but Nanna really should've been Green if she wanted to shake up the metagame the way that IntSys clearly intended. Unfortunately, she's the one who was destined to bring the EarthLands Sword to the game, so an axe was out of the question.

Also, yet another Atk/Spd Push 4 fodder. She could've at least had Surge Sparrow to make pulling her more appealing. Miracle doesn't even work with her kit because she shouldn't be getting hit back!

Edited by Some Jerk

Huh. Looks like FE5 is getting some more attention. That feels like it's been happening a lot more lately... I wonder if this means we'll really be hearing an announcement from IS about a FE4/5 remake soon.

25 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

Yeah, this one's dead on arrival. That's not to say a Sword Cavalier with a pinch of Ullr and B!Alm is bad, in fact it's pretty good by Canto nuke standards, but Nanna really should've been Green if she wanted to shake up the metagame the way that IntSys clearly intended. Unfortunately, she's the one who was destined to bring the EarthLands Sword to the game, so an axe was out of the question.

We don't need another green wall breaker. We already have Thorr, who crushes both Hector and Idunn through one stack of Flayn/Elimine.

And Maria doesn't actually wall Nanna all that well unless she can prevent Nanna from doubling. Maria's fixed damage reduction is no different than just regular Def if she doesn't also have percentage damage reduction. Nanna still might need some support to land the kill, but Maria isn't as solid of a tank against her as you might think, especially with her weapon triangle disadvantage.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

One down. Seven to go.

Haha. Hoisted by my own petard rather quickly. We'll keep counting though!

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

And the usual translation notes:

Nanna's epithet, "Beloved Princess", is "敬愛のプリンセス" (keiai no purinsesu), "Loved and Admired Princess".

Lands Sword is "大地の剣" (daichi no tsurugi), "Earth Sword".

Hoðr's Zeal is "ヘズルの聖戦士" (hezuru no seisenshi), "Crusader of Hoðr". Compare to Njörun's Zeal, which is "ノヴァの聖戦士" (nova no seisenshi), "Crusader of Njörun". Using the localized names of Hezul/Hoðr and Noba/Njörun.

Earth Sword is what it's always been called in fan translations, and while I have no preference as an aestetic term, I'm guessing Land's Sword is probably more accurate, no? As I expect the term is referring to the element of earth, as in dirt, rocks, ground; rather than earth as in the planet or the world. Still though making is possessive makes it sound like it's something that is related to a nation rather than terra firma.

It's a shame they did give it the Sol Lance. Not only is that how it works in game, but mid combat healing is much better than post combat healing. I guess they wanted it to synergize with her push skill.

Edited by Jotari

Earth Sword just makes me think of Earth Song, but then I also suppose that the literal take - a sword made of actual dirt - is slightly less impressive than say, a sword made out of literal fire.

Hell yeah, Nanna! Always glad for more FE5 units, and to dig into the pool of healers that want regular weapon alts. Still hoping Lachesis and Mist get in on it eventually with their promoted forms, either as legendaries or Ascended.

Looks like the biggest legendary candidates now are Corrin M, Robin M, Elincia, Sothe, Ninian, Dierdre, and whenever they get to TMS, Itsuki and Tsubasa.