Legendary Hero: Nanna - Beloved Princess

The animation for the Earth Sword itself is kind of underwhelming. Just generic strikes. The Earth Sword has a rather impressive ranged animation in Genealogy (and Thracia too? I actually can't remember it in Thracia) for a non holy weapon. I'd hoped they'd put that in as her special or something. Not sure why they went with Miracle for her special. It's not something she has naturally in either of her games, right?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going for full pulls and spark. 
If I don't get Ullr on my pulls, I'll spark her as she is the only offensive Mythic I don't have and I'd like to get one for her bonus seasons.
If I manage to pull Ullr, I'm sparking Ash for merges. 
Aside from Ullr and Ash, Milla, Chrom and Sigurd are also welcome pulls. 

On another note, Rennac rounding up green on this banner means we don't have any new hero lining up for rerun on next month's banner. We'll know more tomorrow, but I think we'll see some changes on the green lineup.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Earth Sword is what it's always been called in fan translations, and while I have no preference as an aestetic term, I'm guessing Land's Sword is probably more accurate, no? As I expect the term is referring to the element of earth, as in dirt, rocks, ground; rather than earth as in the planet or the world. Still though making is possessive makes it sound like it's something that is related to a nation rather than terra firma.

The word "大地" (daichi) has the meaning of "earth", "land", or "ground" in the sense of "that which is not the sea or sky". For examples of usage:

• The Earth Dance skill is "大地の舞い" (daichi no mai), "Dance of Earth". Compare with:
    • Fire Dance: "業火の舞い" (gōka no mai), "Dance of Hellfire".
    • Wind Dance: "疾風の舞い" (shippū no mai), "Dance of Gale".
    • Water Dance: "静水の舞い" (seisui no mai), "Dance of Still Water".
    • Earth Boost: "生命の大地" (seimei no daichi), "Earth of Life". The rest of the Boost series follows the same pattern.
    • Solid-Earth Balm: "大地の祝福" (daichi no shukufuku), "Blessing of Earth". The rest of the Balm series follows the same pattern.
  • The Sacaeans' Mother Earth is "母なる大地" (haha-naru daichi), "Mother Earth". As in English, this is also a normally existing phrase in Japanese. Compare with:
    • Father Sky: "父なる天" (chichi-naru ten), "Father Sky".
  • Primal Groudon's Desolate Land is "おわりのだいち" (owari no daichi), "Land of the End". Compare with:
    • Primal Kyogre's Primordial Sea: "はじまりのうみ" (hajimari no umi), "Sea of the Beginning".

The trailer uses "Lands Sword" and not "Land's Sword", so I'm not quite sure what's going on there.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The word "大地" (daichi) has the meaning of "earth", "land", or "ground" in the sense of "that which is not the sea or sky". For examples of usage:

• The Earth Dance skill is "大地の舞い" (daichi no mai), "Dance of Earth". Compare with:
    • Earth Boost: "生命の大地" (seimei no daichi), "Earth of Life". The rest of the Boost series follows the same pattern.
    • Solid-Earth Balm: "大地の祝福" (daichi no shukufuku), "Blessing of Earth". The rest of the Balm series follows the same pattern.
  • The Sacaeans' Mother Earth is "母なる大地" (haha-naru daichi), "Mother Earth". As in English, this is also a normally existing phrase in Japanese. Compare with:
  • Primal Groudon's Desolate Land is "おわりのだいち" (owari no daichi), "Land of the End". Compare with:
    • Primal Kyogre's Primordial Sea: "はじまりのうみ" (hajimari no umi), "Sea of the Beginning".

Yeah so land would be slightly more accurate, although a bit more inconsistent with what they've done already with Earth Dance, Earth Boost and Solid-Earth Balm. Which makes it pretty surprising they went with Land instead of Earth.

The trailer uses "Lands Sword" and not "Land's Sword", so I'm not quite sure what's going on there.

Ah, that's just me plain misreading. Still, I'd have left it singular rather than plural. That 's' conveys the idea of specific places more so than the conceptual idea of land.

Edited by Jotari

Nanna looks pretty alright. I probably won't pull for her, but the art is nice and I like that she can counter dodge and has null followup in her weapon. I'm a bit surprised she comes with the ladyblade rather then the earth sword though.

I do hope that after Reginn, Otr, Caeda and now Nanna the next canto unit has near trace in their kit rather then having Canto slapped on in their prf stuff. I actually have a good collection of far trace fodder lying around, but near trace as a skill is a lot harder to come by. Only summer Ashe and Bridal Catria at the top of my head.

Edited by Sasori

37 minutes ago, Sasori said:

I'm a bit surprised she comes with the ladyblade rather then the earth sword though.

Uh, have I slipped into the Mandela Effect or something? She comes with the Lands Sword.

Worth noting that Nanna fills a long-standing hole in the legendary chart. The first wave of legendaries didn't include Fire/Spd or Earth/Res units, and the second wave didn't give those bonuses, but now that the third wave combines stat bonuses with the Duel effect, we finally have our first Earth/Res legendary. Now all that's left is Fire/Spd.

Edited by Othin

Reminder that Legendary Caeda was the 776th unit added to Heroes.

If IS was planning to release Legendary Nanna within the same year (and just a month after Caeda at that), why did they waste the opportunity to make a Thracia character the 776th unit? Forget any of my questions from my post on the previous page, this is clearly the most pressing question about this banner.

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Correct of course. However I think it's worth considering "Lands Sword" as meaning something like "Landholdings Sword." I think the idea is something to tie in with the Nordions' royal status. That's the only way I can justify "Lands"; Land's Sword or Land Sword make so much more sense if trying to convey that this is a sword with the power of the Earth. "Lands," on the other hand, has connotations of dominion, kingdom, ownership etc.. 大地 also shows up in 大地主 (big landholder), which doesn't really make sense since the root is 地主 (landlord) and therefore the reading is totally different but alas, it's the only way I can make sense of "Lands." Basically, when Nanna saps your HP, she's taxing you (haha).

A potential motivation for the change would be to differentiate the Earth Sword from the Fire, Wind, Light, and Thunder Swords. There are Fire, Wind, Light, and Thunder tomes, but no Earth tome in Jugdral. So maybe the idea is to not make people think a corresponding Earth tome exists. But this causes an issue because even though there's no Earth tome, there is an Earth affinity of sorts in Jugdral -- in Thracia 776 Chapter 22, Leif makes reference to the "Earth Goddess Ethnia (大地母神). Are they really gonna try and translate that as "Lands Goddess Ethnia"? I don't think so, but they translated 大地 as "lands" here, so the precedent is "lands."

A characteristically bold move from the geniuses on the localizing team!

On 3/29/2022 at 11:30 PM, Tybrosion said:

So, this is what IS seriously decided to go with for an extra legendary? Do they really have that little faith in guys like M!Robin, M!Corrin or Xander that they thought Nanna would fare better?

I wonder if they are playing very conservatively because there's precious few amount of Fates/Awakening characters that would apply for a Legendary Hero ( Of course, they could each give the Fates Royals a Legendary Alt) .   And considering the majority of the audience who spends money are Japanese, I think they are willing to use a lesser known game as a hero. That being said, I'm finding  that we have not seen  Legendary Xander or M!Corrin is surprising especially the latter has a clear alt. I know M!Corrin isn't as popular as F!Corrin, but he placed 34th in the last CYL, and out of more than 500+ characters, that's pretty high. 

5 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Reminder that Legendary Caeda was the 776th unit added to Heroes.

If IS was planning to release Legendary Nanna within the same year (and just a month after Caeda at that), why did they waste the opportunity to make a Thracia character the 776th unit? Forget any of my questions from my post on the previous page, this is clearly the most pressing question about this banner.

That's actually a massive missed opportunity XD Understandable that they just plain didn't notice though.

3 hours ago, hi_scroes said:

Correct of course. However I think it's worth considering "Lands Sword" as meaning something like "Landholdings Sword." I think the idea is something to tie in with the Nordions' royal status. That's the only way I can justify "Lands"; Land's Sword or Land Sword make so much more sense if trying to convey that this is a sword with the power of the Earth. "Lands," on the other hand, has connotations of dominion, kingdom, ownership etc.. 大地 also shows up in 大地主 (big landholder), which doesn't really make sense since the root is 地主 (landlord) and therefore the reading is totally different but alas, it's the only way I can make sense of "Lands." Basically, when Nanna saps your HP, she's taxing you (haha).

That's what I didn't like about this translation. So you think the nation connection is present and intentional in the Japanese naming too?

3 hours ago, hi_scroes said:

A characteristically bold move from the geniuses on the localizing team!

These are the people that translated twins Julia and Jubelo as Jubelo and Yulia. Let's not given them too much credit. they also gave rise to the unholy collection of vowels that is Iuchar and Iucharba.

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

I wonder if they are playing very conservatively because there's precious few amount of Fates/Awakening characters that would apply for a Legendary Hero ( Of course, they could each give the Fates Royals a Legendary Alt) .   And considering the majority of the audience who spends money are Japanese, I think they are willing to use a lesser known game as a hero. That being said, I'm finding  that we have not seen  Legendary Xander or M!Corrin is surprising especially the latter has a clear alt. I know M!Corrin isn't as popular as F!Corrin, but he placed 34th in the last CYL, and out of more than 500+ characters, that's pretty high. 

I think we could potentially get Legendary Adult Tiki now that she's proved herself popular in the CYL.

Edited by Jotari

29 minutes ago, Jotari said:

These are the people that translated twins Julia and Jubelo as Jubelo and Yulia. Let's not given them too much credit. they also gave rise to the unholy collection of vowels that is Iuchar and Iucharba.

Yumina, which was changed to Yuliya.

Iuchar and Iucharba were already a thing long before this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_(mythology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danand

Which is why they changed Johan and Johalva to match the mythology.

... I'm pretty sure I already had to explain this somewhere else before...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

46 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think we could potentially get Legendary Adult Tiki now that she's proved herself popular in the CYL.

You say this as if A!Tiki didn't usually beat Y!Tiki in terms of votes. I think CYL2 (in a long forgotten land where A!Tiki had more alts than Y!Tiki) was the only one where Y!Tiki had more votes than A!Tiki. A!Tiki's overall ranks were also (in chronological order) 26th, 42nd, 31st, 54th, 30th and 2nd.

She was always popular. It was her existing popularity combined with the years of neglect by IS that fueled A!Tiki to outright win in CYL6.

39 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yumina, which was changed to Yuliya.

The point is they had a set of twins with a clear naming scheming denoting their twins which they kept phonetically but completely remove d in terms of spelling.

Iuchar and Iucharba were already a thing long before this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_(mythology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danand

Which is why they changed Johan and Johalva to match the mythology.

... I'm pretty sure I already had to explain this somewhere else before...

Yeah it did come up before, but we also talked about how overliteralization can be detrimental to the localisation process.

18 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

You say this as if A!Tiki didn't usually beat Y!Tiki in terms of votes. I think CYL2 (in a long forgotten land where A!Tiki had more alts than Y!Tiki) was the only one where Y!Tiki had more votes than A!Tiki. A!Tiki's overall ranks were also (in chronological order) 26th, 42nd, 31st, 54th, 30th and 2nd.

She was always popular. It was her existing popularity combined with the years of neglect by IS that fueled A!Tiki to outright win in CYL6.

Always more popular than her other counterpart(s), perhaps, but the most recent CYL has put her (in that incarnation specifically) as one of the most popular characters in the series. So a legend alt seems more likely this year than last.

Edited by Jotari

Interesting note about Nanna and her reveal trailer: the Canto effect of Hoðr's Zeal is still shown in the skills textbox, meaning they excluded it specifically from the trailer.

...hm, makes me fear the future of FEH textboxes, especially after Spring Delthea...

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's what I didn't like about this translation. So you think the nation connection is present and intentional in the Japanese naming too?

There are five magic swords in Jugdral:

• ほのおの剣 (honō no tsurugi), "Flame Sword", which casts Fire
    • This can also be translated as "Fire Sword" due to the fact that "炎" (honō) is the name of the fire magic weapon type.
  • いかずちの剣 (ikazuchi no tsurugi), "Thunder Sword", which casts Thunder
    • Interesting to note, but of the four weapons that directly reference their weapon types, this is the only one that doesn't exactly match the naming of the weapon type. The thunder magic weapon type in Japanese is "雷", which can be pronounced either "ikazuchi" or "kaminari". "Kaminari" is more common in modern usage and is the current standard pronunciation of the weapon type name.
  • かぜの剣 (kaze no tsurugi), "Wind Sword", which casts Wind
  • ひかりの剣 (hikari no tsurugi), "Light Sword", which casts Lightning
  • だいちの剣 (daichi no tsurugi), "Earth Sword", which casts Resire
    • Resire is the weapon localized as "Nosferatu" in Western releases. It was light magic in Jugdral and Tellius.

Earth Sword is the only one that doesn't directly reference one of the magic weapon types, but due to the naming scheme of the other magic swords, there's no reason to think they didn't intend for Earth Sword's name to be a reference to "elemental earth".

So, Otr moved to April from May. Now both months have 3 green units.

But Sothis is scheduled for June and there's already 3 other red units there. Maybe she'll be on a special banner promoting Three Hopes?

If Sothis is being used as a promotional tool for the new game, surely they'd also put the three Legendary house leaders on the same banner, and it'd be colour-balanced. And while unlikely, it looks like that's possible because those three units are being re-run in April and May so they wouldn't have announced a June appearance for them yet. If in a month's time, there's an announcement that Dimitri will appear again in June, then that'd be great (though really the only one I'm personally missing is Claude - EDIT: whoops, I tell a lie, I don't have Edelgard either, I can never remember which version is which for all the post-timeskip lords).

In terms of alternatives, I suppose they could go with the original pre-timeskip units, but boy would that be an unappealing banner. If they went with the CYL variants instead, then I'd have thought it'd then be a full CYL4 re-run instead of Sothis + 3. Finally, for the fallen units, well that doesn't comprise a full set.

Granted I know nothing about Three Hopes because I have zero interest in it, so I don't know if the secondary characters meaningfully factor in the game compared to the title characters. But based on the title, surely it'd be them.

Edited by Humanoid

Something definitely to do with three hopes.

Do we know if April will have again legendary or it swapped to Mythic? I can't find anything on notifications if IS said something there.

34 minutes ago, Naoshi said:

Something definitely to do with three hopes.

Do we know if April will have again legendary or it swapped to Mythic? I can't find anything on notifications if IS said something there.

We'll only know when the nest calendar is out, I guess

I wonder if we'll ever get an actual Nosferatu tome in Heroes. It's kind of in that awkward place where it's too iconic to just be a normal weapon (otherwise they would have named Raurrabbit Nosferatu), but also not really special enough to get a bunch of effects on a legendary hero. Maybe it'll turn up as a prf on a banner unit, Niime actually would have been a good candidate...Huh I can't even think of many dark mages that haven't made it into the game yet (we have Salem now, so everyone form Jugdral, we have everyone from Elibe, there's Izuka in Tellius, I guess. Awakening still has Validar and Excellus, and Morgan bizarrely stold Validar's tome, so there's an opening there. Three Houses still has a potential few, but not a whole lot). Huh, there's really a dearth of dark mages left in the series, the endless procession of red tome infantry GHB might come to an end this year.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I wonder if we'll ever get an actual Nosferatu tome in Heroes. It's kind of in that awkward place where it's too iconic to just be a normal weapon (otherwise they would have named Raurrabbit Nosferatu), but also not really special enough to get a bunch of effects on a legendary hero. Maybe it'll turn up as a prf on a banner unit, Niime actually would have been a good candidate...Huh I can't even think of many dark mages that haven't made it into the game yet (we have Salem now, so everyone form Jugdral, we have everyone from Elibe, there's Izuka in Tellius, I guess. Awakening still has Validar and Excellus, and Morgan bizarrely stold Validar's tome, so there's an opening there. Three Houses still has a potential few, but not a whole lot). Huh, there's really a dearth of dark mages left in the series, the endless procession of red tome infantry GHB might come to an end this year.

Worth noting that Izuku is extremely unpopular and is associated with Balberith. As for Validar, if he gets a tome not related to Grima's Truth, Awakening is still missing Goetia.

I could see an "adjective Nosferatu" showing up on a legendary or Ascended at some point, like how Legendary Celica got Saintly Seraphim.