April Special Heroes: Unlikely Friends

27 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I KNOW what the difference is, but it still feels like an unnecessary addition, which is the point! Instead of spreading out these numerous variations of DC/CC by putting one on one character only (some seasonal or legendary locked) they should really consider putting more sources of the DC variations in this game on other units. There's honestly no reason both distant pressure and distant dart both had to exist.

Yeah, it sucks. Sometimes it feels like Heroes is the devs' own personal wank fest on what units they want to spoil and what units they want to ignore or totally fuck over.

I'd say it's the opposite, I'd say they're heavily under the thumb of the marketing team and a lot of the devs need to fight to get certain units they like into the game.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd say it's the opposite, I'd say they're heavily under the thumb of the marketing team and a lot of the devs need to fight to get certain units they like into the game.

I think there's some truth in that, but Fire Boost is just insulting.

I think my brain overloaded. I feel a rush in my head, but it's hard to think.

Okay, FIRST, I am SO FLIPPIN' HAPPY!!! Ike + Mist child duooooooo! And tiny Soren is so cute and heartbreaking! Ilyana wasn't a bad choice, but I still find her a bit random. Makes more sense than anyone in Castle Crimea, though, since she's of the same social rank as everyone else on the banner. Same for Mia. Also, Ilyana's appearance is cute, but OH MY GOSH HER VOICE LINE ABOUT SHARING FOOD IS ADORABLE!! I can't get over how cute she sounds! Glad she's the demote, kind of (would've preferred Soren since that would make him easier to get.) Also, kind of bummed that Mia and Ike are sharing a color since I DEFINATELY WANT IKE+MIST but don't actually care about Mia. Besides her, probably going for a full banner here, but the priorities are Ike+Mist and Soren. Also, BOYD IS FINALLY COMING TO HEROES!!! He might be younger than Rolf (Halloween -- the verson we have of him in the game) though, which is going to be kind of weird. But he's in! =D Finally, most of the family's together! (Just missing Elena!)

Now, onto the downsides. Obviously, a 3 brothers unit would've been nice, but I'm okay with them not being here. At least we get Boyd! Also, it just keeps feeling weird that Mist sounds younger, but Ike sounds the same. Soren also suffers from this a little bit, but it's not as bad. Also, I don't know, Mia sounds like she's whispering, kind of. Poor VA's, trying their best to sound super young and struggling... Mist and Ilyana did great, though! Kudos to their voice actresses!

Man, I can't wait to get these kids! X3 They're soooo cute!

Oh, right, not having flying princess Elincia with a staff was a missed opportunity.

No, not necessarily for the flying Elincia. But we have young Caeda (sword), young Minerva (axe), and young Tana (lance). Wouldn't it have been great if they'd just given us a colorless unit to complete that so you can make a balanced team of flying kid murder princesses?

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Oh, right, not having flying princess Elincia with a staff was a missed opportunity.

No, not necessarily for the flying Elincia. But we have young Caeda (sword), young Minerva (axe), and young Tana (lance). Wouldn't it have been great if they'd just given us a colorless unit to complete that so you can make a balanced team of flying kid murder princesses?

As I said already, Elincia would be good because she already has an alternate design she's not using.

Princess_Elincia.png

It's also not really grandiose, so it wouldn't work all that well as a legendary or ascended unit.

She also is a staff flier already, so yeah, it'd be nice to have a canonical staff flier (though she could still get a staff as a legendary).

She, like Soren, also has a distinctly different upbrinigng compared to what she is like in the games, as she was sheltered most of her life. Though actually trying to explore that would probably result in a character much like her Path of Radiance appearance as that's all about coming out of said shelteredness, which is what she would kind of be thrust into by magically being send to an unfamiliar world.

So yeah, Elincia would have been good for a number of reasons.

5 hours ago, Nym said:

I am not even the slightest interest in Tellius when it comes to its units so I would avoid making assumptions if I were you.

Then replace "not the characters I wanted" with "not characters that I'd be satisfied with" and you get the same result.

5 hours ago, Nym said:

Thorr's intervention was just an excuse to explain how kids their age can even possibly compete with grown adults in combat. It's not a requirement for the banner, just a lore explanation of how it's even possible.

4 hours ago, Othin said:

There are units who attack by hitting people with ice cream, carrots, or floaties. IS can find excuses for whatever they want.

The difference is that they chose to include in-universe lore for why the child banner units are as they are, but not to include in-universe lore for why seasonal weapons are as they are.

Heck, this time around, they even went so far as to explicitly include the fact that Thorr gave each of the characters their weapon in the weapons' names.

Whether people care about the lore or not, the fact that it was included means that it's intended to be taken into consideration, at least to some extent, whereas things that aren't explained by lore are intended to be treated as hand-waved.

5 hours ago, Nym said:

Christmas Zephiel happened and he isn't a kid.

Blazing Sword Zephiel is a character that is canonically that age during the events of the game, which is exactly not what this banner theme is.

3 hours ago, Nym said:

I'm pretty sure from a lore perspective, these kids are still at their normal strength.

No, they have their strength explicitly increased by Thorr. Merric is the most notable case, as he was supposed to be sickly when he was younger, and Thorr fixed that for him when he was summoned in that form.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Then replace "not the characters I wanted" with "not characters that I'd be satisfied with" and you get the same result.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Because again, it's not about characters I want, I just simply find the choice of characters boring and not interesting. Especially Mia and Illyana, they don't make sense from a lore perspective, they were simply chosen because they are women and popular.

Blazing Sword Zephiel is a character that is canonically that age during the events of the game, which is exactly not what this banner theme is

Of course, but I wish they would expand on that concept a bit. Seeing younger heroes who aren't kids could be more lore interesting.

No, they have their strength explicitly increased by Thorr. Merric is the most notable case, as he was supposed to be sickly when he was younger, and Thorr fixed that for him when he was summoned in that form.

Nvm then.

35 minutes ago, Nym said:

Please don't put words in my mouth. Because again, it's not about characters I want, I just simply find the choice of characters boring and not interesting. Especially Mia and Illyana, they don't make sense from a lore perspective, they were simply chosen because they are women and popular.

Mia makes sense from a lore perspective. She isn't closely related to the "main characters" of the banner, but she's a character that would be believable to have had weapon training at her age.

Ilyana presumably had studied magic for some time prior to her joining the merchant caravan, though she also serves a purpose in terms of gameplay (assuming her stat spread is as expected), as viable bulky tome units are few and far in between.

If they wanted to include a tome unit other than Ilyana, Tormod is basically the only other option, though his canon stat spread is less suited to being made into a bulky unit than Ilyana's.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Mia makes sense from a lore perspective. She isn't closely related to the "main characters" of the banner, but she's a character that would be believable to have had weapon training at her age.

Ilyana presumably had studied magic for some time prior to her joining the merchant caravan, though she also serves a purpose in terms of gameplay (assuming her stat spread is as expected), as viable bulky tome units are few and far in between.

If they wanted to include a tome unit other than Ilyana, Tormod is basically the only other option, though his canon stat spread is less suited to being made into a bulky unit than Ilyana's.

Tormod is kind of a kid already, so a lot of the novelty also wouldn't be there. That being said, people are sleeping on the concept of young Bastian XD

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That being said, people are sleeping on the concept of young Bastian XD

I'm trying to picture it, but I can't not imagine him being some kid with a fake moustache and goatee.

It seems like these banners are tending to focus on characters who are around teenagers at the time of the game in question, so they can all be de-aged similar amounts.

I do hope Tormod finally makes it into Heroes later this year.

Dont know if it was mentioned before but, so far all children duo has been siblings. Which I find it heart warming.

Edited by Naoshi

Personally, I'm totally fine with this being themed around Path of Radiance and I'm totally fine with Boyd, Soren, Ike and Mist. But I do wish we'd have gotten Elincia and Jill over Mia and Ilyana. Elincia could have been a staff unit and Jill could have been a lance unit, leaving Soren with green. Soren already having a green variant wouldn't matter, since they already did the same thing to Merric. Or, Jill could be green again and Soren blue. Either way, I wish we'd have gotten Elincia and Jill. Jill especially feels like she deserved this far more than Mia and Ilyana, given her significant popularity and how long it took them to finally add her base variant to the game to begin with.

Stats and skill stuff [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

y51t2sdxbtr81.png

Ike & Mist
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Res

Mia
Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd, Def, Res
*Tempo skills are infantry only. Also, WHY on all those super flaws.

Ilyana
Super Asset(s): Atk, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def
*Atk/Res Gap 3 is the 4* unlock

Soren
Super Asset(s): HP, Atk
Super Flaw(s): Def, Res

Boyd
Super Asset(s): HP, Atk
Super Flaw(s): none
*Fire Boost 3 is the 4* unlock, because of course it is.
**English voice actor is the same as Summer Ogma.

Spoiler

Ike and Mia are extremely similar. Not a surprise when you can only do so much to a Myrmidon-type spread before you make it unviable. Kid Mia certainly wants those merges, look at all those superflaws, ouch. 

Kid Ilyana has that high Atk/Res, middling Hp/Spd, low Def spread of a mage tank. Using a mage to tank other mages has always been iffy, so she's going to be a super niche unit. At least the built-in Dragon Wall on her prf lets her not be absolute dead weight if she faces an archer or dagger. 

Kid Soren follows a similar path to Ilyana, but at least his Spd can be salvaged. Although I don't know if it's the best idea to Spd stack him when he wants lots of Res to always keep his prf's effects active. Has potential, but it's going to be really hard to make him work at his fullest. 

Kid Boyd is sort of a downgrade/sidegrade to Charlotte. Very similar stat spreads and prfs. Boyd's Atk can get higher than Charlotte's and is easier to merge, but his wildly inconsistent nature makes it that even at +10 he might not be a better unit than a +1 Charlotte. The comparison is very relevant for me as I already have a +Atk Charlotte that will become +1 when I get the manual from the Codes section. 

Okay, I've seen a bit of tiny Boyd's art and I don't know what people are complaining about. That kid is ADORABLE!!! X3 Oh man, he's just so cute! Man, I really hope we get a comic or something about the age confusion as Oscar and Halloween Rolf try to figure out their new age order. X3 Like, is Rolf older than this Boyd or younger? Who's the middle brother now?

ATM, only unit I care about on this banner is Illyana. I actually was thinking about refining Julius's weapon and giving him close reversal, but Illyana doesn't require divine dew, has better BST, and is cuter, so investing into her over Julius is the only valid choice for me. I actually wanted to +10 her regular version, but I already +10'd fallen delthea so I never saw a need to do that. I probably won't be +10ing this variant of illyana since I am still broke after AHR, but I think I'lll still summon for a few copies.

Other units are fine, but frankly, I'm not too interested in them. 2 Sword Infantry units immediately after we got two other 5 star locked sword infantry units is lame. Soren actually seems pretty cool with his colorless tome, but 5 star lock is a turn off.

Boyd is ok, but the biorythm effect on his wapon is kinda a turn off. At the very least, +5 attack and speed is unconditional, but that kinda moot when other weapons do that and then some.

Edited by 5PointGordin

So in addition to all of the weapons having "God of War's" [JP] / "War" [EN] in their names, all of the weapons also have the same crystal embedded in them that you can see in Thorr's Mjolnir.

IS really wanted to make sure that everyone knows that this child soldier experiment (more so than the previous times) was Thorr's doing. When can we start calling her the "God of War Crimes"?

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

So in addition to all of the weapons having "God of War's" [JP] / "War" [EN] in their names, all of the weapons also have the same crystal embedded in them that you can see in Thorr's Mjolnir.

IS really wanted to make sure that everyone knows that this child soldier experiment (more so than the previous times) was Thorr's doing. When can we start calling her the "God of War Crimes"?

Meh, she isn't doing anything Fire Emblem protagonists haven't been doing for years.

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think both can be true at the same time. That the marketing department has a very tight grip on who gets into the game and that the devs also have their personal favored and least favorite units they do or don't want to give their due. 

For instance Summer Lyn getting into the game on a banner mainly about Roy's childhood friends was clearly the marketing team exercising their veto and demanding they replace Roy with Lyn. However cases like Mia, Boyd or Severa are much more dubious and likely have more to do with the devs than the marketing department. 

While Mia is certainly the type of girl the marketing department might like she's hardly the only cute girl out there. I don't think she has the sort of popularity where the marketing team would demands her presence over other characters. Same with Illyana. I think those two have three versions now primarily because the devs like them. Jill for all her popularity having to wait years also indicates that the devs might have dragged their heels mainly out of personal apathy. After all why would the marketing team be unwilling to add a very popular character who's also a cute girl? And while Boyd is no grand money maker by any means he's not particularly ugly or unmarketable either so I assume him having to wait years only to get a lame freebie has mostly to do with the devs being at best supremely uninteresting in him,  or at worst outright disliking him.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Meh, she isn't doing anything Fire Emblem protagonists haven't been doing for years.

I know. That was just a dumb, low hanging fruit kind of joke. I mean, all I did was slap the word "crimes" at the end of her title.

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think she has the sort of popularity where the marketing team would demands her presence over other characters.

Yeah no, Mia actually is pretty popular and has been consistently so. Her CYL ranks (in order) were 31st [RD] and 67th [PoR], 31st [RD] and 113th [PoR], 29th, 36th, 36th, and 29th.

Jill, on the other hand, dropped like a rock after getting added into FEH unlike Mia (24th in CYL4 to 196th in CYL5). That sort of thing doesn't happen to a character that's truly popular.

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

17 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think both can be true at the same time. That the marketing department has a very tight grip on who gets into the game and that the devs also have their personal favored and least favorite units they do or don't want to give their due. 

I think when people say "devs" they generally mean the part of the company working on this game, not necessarily the actual software developers.

There's no reason to believe that the actual developers have any say in which characters get on which banners. It (1) is not their job and (2) does not impact their job.

so, PoR kids
here are my opinions literally no one asked on the matter:

Mia: i'll never get why she's so popular, but whatever, i'll keep ignoring her as i've always done
Soren: cool that they kept the aspect of him not knowing how to speak, but i wonder if he'll actually say some words in his voiced lines
Ilyana: i like her, but honestly i would've picked someone else. she's her usual self, except shorter, which i think is the entire point of these banners
Ike + Mist: they're super cute, and i love that Ike's sword looks very similar to his Royal Sword
Boyd: FINALLY. anyway, i don't get why people say his artworks are bad, i actually love the bright colors and the artstyle in general

yes, i would've liked to see Elincia too, and the fact that she functionally "lost her chance" is disappointing, but honestly i'm fine with this selection
so, i'm just waiting for the year they announce 3H kids and everyone loses their mind

Now that the banner is out,

On 4/5/2022 at 8:50 PM, Tybrosion said:

Also, WHY on all those super flaws.

She has a level-40 stat total of 183 instead of the usual 182.

A superbane means that the unit just barely hit a growth rate threshold to jump an extra point due to rounding, so eking out an extra point at neutral means having more superbanes.