SD Cards for Nintendo 3DS systems

King Marth 64

I have a specific question about SD Cards and the Nintendo 3DS Console since I have a 32 GB SD Card getting filled up room and my substitute 8 GB can't handle more large data after getting the stuff from the Nintendo eShop before it closes on March 2023 when I buying two Nintendo 3DS games were on sale were Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 and Persona Q2. I did manage to buy a 64 GB MicroSD Card with a SD Card Reader at Fred Meyer at a Sale that is a PNY Brand, a message pops up that the 64 GB MicroSD Card with the SD Card Adaptor couldn't read the memory. Does all original Nintendo 3DS consoles actually hold up to 32 GB or is the Specific Brand of SD Card (something like a SanDisk or Kingston for example) that is above 32 GB allows to read for the original Nintendo 3DS Console? I wanted to get a lot of Digital Downloads added into my Nintendo 3DS Console before March 2023.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Per Nintendo's website, you can only use up to a 32GB SD Card with the Nintendo 3DS. Do you have any option of buying these recent games physically? Otherwise, you'll need to swap between SD cards.

Oh dang, just only up to 32 GB huh.

I was buying stuff from the Nintendo 3DS eShop such as Nintendo published DSiWare titles (I managed to move the DSiWare games that I already played to SD Card), downloadable exclusives, and some games that are on sale.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:39 AM, know_naim said:

You can use larger SDXC cards after formatting.

I have always used Sandisk MicroSD cards for my consoles but any SD card will work. Just avoid cheap knock-off brands and you'll be fine.  

What size GB are you using for the Nintendo 3DS console? Was it like more than 32 GB, correct?

16 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

What size GB are you using for the Nintendo 3DS console? Was it like more than 32 GB, correct?

SanDisk extreme microSDXC 64 GB. Currently use it in a New Nintendo 3DS XL but should work fine on the OG 3DS with a SD adapter. 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:02 AM, know_naim said:

SanDisk extreme microSDXC 64 GB. Currently use it in a New Nintendo 3DS XL but should work fine on the OG 3DS with a SD adapter. 

Did you already traded one of the original Nintendo 3DS systems before bought the New Nintendo 3DS systems? I only have the original Nintendo 3DS system as of right now as the main Nintendo 3DS Console.